PDA

View Full Version : Bus Transportation at Wilderness Lodge

tsip
08-06-2001, 11:23 PM
We're thinking of staying at Wilderness Lodge over Spring Break. We have visited the resort and think it is beautiful. I know about the boat to MK, but I'm wondering if the bus tranportation is efficient. We've stayed at PO Riverside the last 3 times and have found the buses there to be good. Thanks for any input.

------------------

Roland
08-07-2001, 06:33 AM
I've stayed at WL many times and found the bus service to be very good. It all seems to matter on luck. Sometimes I've waited no more than 5 minutes and other times the full 20 minutes. Sometimes you will see 3 busses to Animal Kingdom in 10 minutes without seeing another bus for other locations. The problem seems to be when taking a bus from outside the resort back to the WL. Don't ask me where those busses go, but they don't show up on time at the parks.

Spring break, eh? My sympathies.

------------------
'92 - August, Disneyland
'96 - April, Wilderness Lodge
'97 - October, offsite
'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings
'99 - Sept., Wilderness Lodge
'00 - Sept., Wilderness Lodge
'00 - Oct., All Sports
'01 - Jan., All Sports
'01 - May Wilderness Lodge
'01 - July All-Sports
'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly

Mr. Brass Bonanza
08-07-2001, 08:29 AM
I agree with Rowland, even if he is from Rhode Island. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif The bus system at the Wilderness Lodge was very efficient and we had no trouble at all. Some people say renting a car is the thing to do, and we actually did rent a car while at WL. But driving on WDW property just once proved how great using the bus system is, and we didn't use the car again. It may be a little longer than driving, but you have no driving worries at all.

ENJOY!!!

------------------
Mark
Mr. Brass Bonanza
Intercot Moderator
-----

1978 - off site
1984 - off site
1995 - Vacation Club Resort (now Old Key West)
1997 - Caribbean Beach
1998 - Caribbean Beach
2000 - Polynesian (honeymoon)
2000 - All Star Music
2000 - Wilderness Lodge
2001 - Grand Floridian (anniversary)
2001 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2002 - Port Orleans, French Quarter
-----

Check out these Intercot sister sites!

WebDisney (http://www.webdisney.com) The Definitive Guide To Disney On The Internet
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com) Disneyland Inside & Out

[This message has been edited by Mr. Brass Bonanza (edited August 07, 2001).]

Roland
08-07-2001, 09:19 AM
Hey Mr. Brass Bonanza!

I resemble that remark! <grin>

You are right though, it isn't worth renting a car. I think people sometimes get disgusted with the bus transport because most of the time it is very efficient. So, on those times where it just might go to the 20 minutes wait as advertised, it just SEEMS to be long time.

For a great time at a traditional park, visit Lake Compounce in Connecticut.

------------------
'92 - August, Disneyland
'97 - October, offsite
'00 - Oct., All Sports
'01 - Jan., All Sports
'01 - July All-Sports
'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly

mummajea
08-08-2001, 03:33 PM
I really liked the buses at WL. My favorite thing about them was we were one of the first stops for pick at the resort so you got a seat, and on the way back we were always the first drop off resort, so you didn't have to go and "visit" everyone elses resort late at night or at the end of a long day!

I was not looking forward to the buses because I heard a lot of negetive things about them, but I think it is just bad timing on those peoples part. If the first bus is at 7:30, and they run every 20 minutes, expect to wait if you get there at 7:35. Pretty simple math in my opinion.

The only problem we had was coming back from the HDD at Fort Wilderness. The busses there are very confusing since they both stop at the same spot but one is going "in"and the other "out". Just ask the Friendly bus drivers, and remember that BIG MARK is the ONLY one who really knows what is going on!!!! Just ask him he'll tell you!!! (SMILE))))

------------------

CJ
08-08-2001, 04:36 PM
We were there last Sept. and the buses were great! They were always empty and never more than a 10 min wait.

------------------

Doc Marc
08-08-2001, 04:46 PM
In my experience(6x at WL) it runs pretty smoothly, with one BIG exception:

E-ticket nights! It is the most convaluted mess in all of WDW. Basically, after e-night is over for the evening, to get back to the WL you must take the Monorail to the TTC and catch the Boone or Crocket bus back. It's not really that bad, but when you see mostly everyone else going to their resort buses at the MK, it is a bit of a downer.

Doc Marc

------------------

Duchess99
08-08-2001, 09:28 PM
I had no problem with the buses at WL. They were very efficiant. And the good thing is that since it's a deluxe resort, you get dropped off right by the park enterance...unlike the All stars where you have to walk a mile just to get to the park enterance http://www.intercot.com/boards/blue.gif

------------------
Sarah
"A dream can be a dream come true..."

"Everybody wants to be a cat!!!!"

bounced
08-10-2001, 09:31 AM
mummajea,
I thought there was a boat that takes you from the WL to Fort Wilderness where you can then get off at the marina and walk to HDD. Does anybody know if this is correct?

------------------
'82-Contemporary
'85-Contemporary
'93-Yacht Club
'94-Beach Club
May'99-Port Orleans
Dec'99-Port Orleans
'00-Dixie Landings

Roland
08-10-2001, 10:40 AM
Use to be the boat with the red flag was for Magic Kingdom, the blue for Fort Wilderness, Discovery Island and someplace else when leaving the WL. The last time I was there in May, it was a red/green stripe flag that went to Fort Wilderness and then on to the Magic Kingdom.

------------------
'92 - August, Disneyland
'97 - October, offsite
'00 - Oct., All Sports
'01 - Jan., All Sports
'01 - July All-Sports
'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly

mummajea
08-10-2001, 02:02 PM
In regards to the Boat question....due to weather the boats weren't running at the time we were returning to the Lodge. we also were told that it was easier to get to if you took the buss, the dock is a "bit of a walk" to the HDD. It was only about a three minute ride, once you got on the bus to WL, and we really only waited about 10 minute for the bus. It was just confusing since we could have gotten on the first buss that was there, but we thought it was the wrong one, so we had to wait for the second one.

You can also walk from Wl to FW, but like i said it was a rain night and also thunderstorms so we didn't want to take that route, though i hear it is a nice stroll.

------------------

Tamsin
08-10-2001, 04:47 PM
In March (during spring break, mind you)we had no problems with the bus transportation, and that includes lugging two five year olds and their fold-up strollers every where we went. People were nice and the bus drivers friendly and helpful! Busses on time 99% of the time.

------------------
T.

March '01-Wilderness Lodge

Next trip: Dec 01-Polynesian

duggan
08-10-2001, 05:28 PM
I was pleased with all transportation when we stayed there.

------------------
'72 - Polynesian Resort
'81 - Polynesian Resort
'84 - Contemporary Resort
'93 - Dixie Landings
'99 - Wilderness Lodge
'01 - Off Property

ValerieK
08-11-2001, 09:58 PM
We stayed at the WL in June and we didn't have a problem with the buses. We never had to wait long. We also love riding the boat to MK.

------------------
Poly '99
Poly '00
WL June '01