PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Sushi Lovers

Mickeylover
05-22-2001, 06:08 PM
Help! DH and I have one night out alone without the kids planned. He wants to go eat sushi somewhere--and he's pretty picky about it.

I know there are several good places including Japan in Epcot and Kimonos at the Swan. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

------------------
"...children, of course are the most honest of all." Walt Disney

July, 1986 Offsite
September 1994 All Star Sports
May 1999 Offsite
May 2000 Hilton WDW/DXL

Coming up June 3-9 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Beach Club

DisneyRN
05-22-2001, 08:27 PM
We too are sushi lovers. We have had the hibachi/shogun style meal at Teppanyaki that we love. We also loved the tempura there in Japan as well. But, we have never tried the sushi bar there. I have heard it is good and that Wolfgang Puck's at DD is better. If you find out any more opinions let me know so we can try it in Dec. http://www.intercot.com/boards/tasty.gif

------------------
"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

"You want to go to Disney World again? But we just went there last year!" (Direct quote from my dear husband)

Off site-August'89
CS-'00 January Honeymoon
Offsite-'01 March
Next Visit- '01 December @ WL for 10 glorious X-Mas Days!

DizKnee
05-22-2001, 11:04 PM
I had sushi (and a Kirin) in the lounge at the Teppanyaki Steakhouse. It was very good. I'm a big California Roll fan, and it was delicious. I don't go for eel or anything fishy like that, but the tuna, yellowtail and salmon was very fresh and well prepared. It's also nice to sit there and watch the people walk by.

------------------
I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.
Walt Disney

Mickeylover
05-23-2001, 09:47 AM
I'm leaning toward the lounge in Epcot as well...depending on how bad the crowds are. I'm presuming there is no PS for the lounge?

------------------
"...children, of course are the most honest of all." Walt Disney

July, 1986 Offsite
September 1994 All Star Sports
May 1999 Offsite
May 2000 Hilton WDW/DXL

Coming up June 3-9 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Beach Club

ChipDale
05-23-2001, 10:20 AM
Hi Mickeylover - no, the Matsu No Ma Lounge doesn't accept reservations. I've had the tempura there, but not the sushi, though their selection looked good. We always make sure we arrive early for our PS at the Teppanyaki Rooms so we can have a Kirin or two in the lounge. The servers are wonderful and it's a nice, low-key atmosphere - very relaxing! Have a great time! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Jane

Chrisc5
05-24-2001, 11:21 AM
Mickeylover, don't overlook possibly the best sushi on property, or maybe anywhere - the California Grill. I've been to Japan a few times, hit all the N.Y. sushi spots, and the Cal. Grill was BY FAR the best I've ever had. Not cheap, but holy cow...

------------------
-- CJC --
------------------
Next trip 10/01

Crow
05-25-2001, 11:10 PM
Never tried sushi; may sometime but would like suggestions as to not real strong type sushi. ate at Tempura Kiku last trip had soup, warm sake (not the smartest thing in how weather) & tempura. It was good & I did watch them prepare the sushi.

------------------
Mike aka Crow
over 300 DVDs & counting
Disney trips: several times w family as kid off site(once w Hurricane Agnes hit)
86 off site w first wife & 96 WDW Village w 2nd wife
alone Sept 99 ASM- Hurricane closed Disney day i left
Sept 01 at CBR & PO Riverside?

DisneyRN
05-26-2001, 12:31 AM
Crow, we too also avoid the real "strong", fishy types of sushi. If you would like to try sushi, go for somehting simple, like California roll. We also LOVE shrimp tempura roll. Also, the crabmeat and shrimp rolls are always good. At every Japanese restaurant we have ever been to that serves sushi, there is always some sort of chart that describes what eveything is. And if all else fails, just ask your server!

------------------
"It's a great big beautiful tomorrow..."

"You want to go to Disney World again? But we just went there last year!" (Direct quote from my dear husband)

Off site-August'89
CS-'00 January Honeymoon
Offsite-'01 March
Next Visit- '01 December @ WL for 10 glorious X-Mas Days!

Jiminy °o° Cricket
05-26-2001, 02:39 AM
I have to agree with Chrisc5 and say that the sushi at The Contemporary's California Grill is fantastic! Probably the freshest I've ever eaten too. For those of you "first-timers" or just experimenting a little, try their appitizer sushi. It's a perfect introduction to sushi and you can't go wrong with it. Also...ask your server to show you how to mix the wasabi (the strong green stuff).

------------------
"Let you conscience be your guide"

Anytime you need me, just whistle.

FatherForce
05-26-2001, 09:52 PM
Gotta go with Chrisc5 on this one too. The CAlifornia Grill's Sushi was oit of this world good. The Japan Pavilion's lounge is a great stop, and it's never been busy any of the times we've ducked in for some sushi and a Sapporo. The view is wonderful as well. However, the CG had the best Sushi hands down.
A couple of years ago we ate at the Japanese resteraunt in the Disneyland PAcific Hotel, and that may have been the single most delicious experience of our lives...
But thats a story for another board isn't it?

------------------
FatherForce

Crow
05-26-2001, 11:25 PM
thanks for the tip . maybe I will try it next trip.

------------------
Mike aka Crow
over 300 DVDs & counting
Disney trips: several times w family as kid off site(once w Hurricane Agnes hit)
86 off site w first wife & 96 WDW Village w 2nd wife
alone Sept 99 ASM- Hurricane closed Disney day i left
Sept 01 at CBR & PO Riverside?

06-10-2001, 09:38 PM
I agree with many of the others who say that the California Grill has some of the best sushi I've EVER eaten ~ give it a try!!

------------------
IMBE
.."to handle yourself, use your head, but to handle others, use your heart.."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Willowwind
06-27-2001, 05:32 AM
Don't forget for non-fish eaters in your party that there are some vegitarian types of rolls too. Kappa Maki (cucumber roll), Inari (a rice stuffed sweetly marinated tofu pouch), and Tamago (fried scrambled egg)!

I don't do fish, but these things are enough to get me to the sushi bars with my hubby. http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

We're looking forward to going in December and will check out the California Grill :)

------------------