PDA

View Full Version : AKL

rblais1968
03-08-2002, 08:42 PM
My family and I will be returning to WDW this May, and are thinking about staying at AKL. Anyone have opinions on this resort? I am interested in your thoughts about dining, service and activities at the resort. We have a 3 year old, and plan on spending some "quiet" time at the resort. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
03-08-2002, 08:51 PM
AK is a great resort. Besides your own balcony there are many quite places to view animals or talk to CM's who will fill you in about the animals. The pool and pool area is very nice. Several options for food; buffet - Boma, traditional sit down, and a fast food/food court type. The loby is incredible. "Gift shop" has some really neat stuff. Service is also very good.

Goofy Forever
03-08-2002, 09:47 PM
Me and my family LOVED AKL. Our sons were 3 and 1 year when we went. They loved the animals and especially the pool. My 3 year old loved the water slide. We ate at Boma one night and had a great meal and a great time. I think you will love the AKL.

Have fun!!!!

TheSorcererofFantasia
03-08-2002, 09:59 PM
I spent eight days there this past December and enjoyed every moment. Personally, I think it is a great resort when you have some 'resort time' to spend. The pool area is wonderful. It consists of a wading pool for small ones, a zero entry pool with a cute slide, and two different hot tubs. Only place I can think of soaking in a hot tub in the evening and watch animals stroll by looking at you. :D

Dined at all three 'food' locations at the AKL. Found Jiko (sit down - dinner menu only) very good and they do offer a childrens menu. Boma (breakfast & dinner buffet) was fantastic. Really enjoyed being able to sample some great 'African' foods & brought home four of their recipes. They still standard American fare for those less brave. I recommend at least dinner and if you can fit it in breakfast also. Mara(fast food/food court) isn't too bad. Didn't spend a lot of time there since we stayed on the concierge level. I did try the Ceasar Salad, Chicken Pepper Pot Soup, African Salad, and the Chicken Pizza and enjoyed all of them.

The balconies provide early morning and later evening viewing of the animals which is very nice. There are several outlook viewing areas for each Savanna. Be sure to check out all of them as there are different animals to each Savanna with the exception of Giraffes. Animals are in there habitat all but two hours in the afternoon. That is when they are taken in to be checked etc.

I must say that the staff at the AKL are fabulous to spend time with. Savanna guides spend quite a bit of time discussing and answering questions regarding the animals and resorts.

Don't miss the Gift Shop!! What wonderful treasures you can find in there at reasonable prices. I shipped home two huge boxes full of treasures and hand carved animals.

imported_PolyGirl40
03-09-2002, 08:44 AM
I recently stayed at AKL. Although it is not my favorite resort - we had a pleasant time. If you plan on having a lot of down time it will be perfect. I would recommend requesting a room with a queen bed & bunk bed combination. The rooms are pretty small. A bunk bed is considerably narrower and allows for a bit more floor space.

Personally I would not consider staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge without having a Savannah view of the animals. It is such an important part of the experience. smile.gif We dined at Boma for breakfast twice and dinner once. My family preferred the breakfast meal. There is a picture of the pool in my profile link. smile.gif

As far as activities go;

Poolside Activities - 11:45 a.m. - 2:05 p.m.

Flamingo Feeding - 10:30 a.m.

Track the Animals - 9:30 a.m.

Cultural Safari - 8:30 p.m.

Games with Savannah Guides - 7:30 p.m.

Storytelling - 6:30 p.m.

Recreational Activities - 5: p.m.

Junior Researcher - 4:00 p.m.

Lodge Tour - 3:30 p.m.

Pelican Feeding - 2:00 p.m.

Cookie Decorating - 1:00 p.m.

Have fun smile.gif

debby
03-11-2002, 02:10 PM
Great are there pelican's there, I love seeing the pelicans while in florida, I thought I had to go to the coast for that. Are they up close for viewing?

DEb.

imported_PolyGirl40
03-14-2002, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by debby:
Great are there pelican's there, Are they up close for viewing?

Yes - The feeding takes place at Arusha Rock. smile.gif

Bert & Sully
03-14-2002, 08:12 AM
Yes..........there are pelicans..........but they aren't white shorebirds like ours are. They are brown.....