PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian Concierge

Belle777
06-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Hello,
We are going to be at the Poly in early December. We are awaiting the announcement of annual pass discounts and are considering concierge in the Poly if we can get a great deal! We presently have a regular room reserved. I was wondering if the concierge is worth the extra money. My kids are 3,6,and 12 and I thought the snacks and drinks available would be convienient! Thanks!

imported_PolyGirl40
06-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Worth is measured in different ways. If you are trying to cut down the cost of meals, probably not. If you want the convenience and added amenities, Yes it is "worth" every extra penny. Even more so if you spend a lot of time at the resort during your vacation. We do. --- smile.gif

From an earlier post of mine on this subject;

The concierge staff is wonderful in all aspects. From the clerks, housekeepers to the lounge employees. We’ve never encountered bad service.

In reference to some background;
You should call the staff 90 days before your arrival. You will receive a vacation planning itinerary. This will have areas for you to document any special event or PS you need assistance with. I requested an e-mail notification of all of my confirmation numbers. It was very handy to have - as I printed it out and took it with me. I did not have them make my 120 day PS’. However - they handled anything that fell thereafter. Including a breakfast with the Princesses in the castle. They can also book the Fantasmic! Dinner Package for you 7 days before arriving.

The concierge desks can be found on the first floor. You do not have to go to the Great Ceremonial House for check in. You let bell service know upon arriving that you are a concierge guest. They will take you directly to the Hawaii building for check in.

The Lounge is located on the second floor. The building has 3 floors. The first and second floor is nonsmoking. The third floor is smoking optional. The first floor rooms have patios - while the third floor rooms have a balcony. The Hawaii building is one of the Polynesian resorts original structures. Therefore there are no balconies on the second floor.

We loved the second floor. It was very convenient to be on the same level as the lounge. The lounge begins serving coffee at 6:30 a.m.. Breakfast offerings are presented at 7 a.m.. The selections were very good. It was easy to make it a meal. There is an area with danish, assorted muffins, bagels and English muffins. Toasters can be found in 2 locations. They have oatmeal and cold cereal. If you like a light breakfast or have a lunch planned, we found it more than adequate.

Soda and water is out constantly. As well as fruit. During the daytime snack items are available. There are no lunch items offered, other than snacks. Such as; cookies and fruit mix. Dinner is another story. A hot item is placed out - along with salad and fixings. Cordials and wine are also there in the evening. It was a very nice perk.

They had buckets of candy for the children. Gummy worms, M&M’s and skittles to name a few. Also - peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Crayons and coloring sheets were available.

There is a large screen television. The majority of the time children’s programming is on. However - the news and Olympics played quite a bit during our stay when adults were solely in the Lounge.

The back wall of the Lounge is nothing but glass. Allowing for a spectacular panoramic view of the lagoon, beach, Contemporary and Grand Floridian resorts. The Magic Kingdom and all it’s splendor is right across the water. It’s breathtaking at night. Tables and chairs are bountiful. Sofas are also in place. If you chose not to watch the fireworks and water pageant from the beach or your room the lounge is a great option.

The rooms have a refrigerator and mini bar. Of course the standard deluxe amenities are there. The only difference from the regular rooms besides the above mentioned were a phone in the bathroom and robes. Turn down service is provided each evening. Candies are placed on your pillows and the bathroom is restocked. Upon arriving we received a box of candy and a welcome card. On our departure evening a gift was also left.

I have pictures of the concierge building in my photo files. Just click on my little house icon if you want to take a peek.

I hope I helped. --- smile.gif

[ June 21, 2002, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]

CinderellieD
06-21-2002, 09:44 AM
I have toi agree with PolyGirl. I loved the poly concierge. I am hoping to stay there again. On top of all the amenities, there was nothing like seeing the castle from the lounge first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I think your children will love it! Especially the pail full of treats! :eek:

DisneyDog
06-21-2002, 10:18 AM
We're going there today -- leaving work at noon, and spending just two nights there (only live 3 hours away). I'll post a trip report when I return and let ya'll know what I thought!

Jill

disneymomw_3boys
06-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Worth is measured in different ways. If you are trying to cut down the cost of meals, probably not I actully think poly conceirge helps save $$ on food, graemlins/thumbsup.gif at least it does for us. Every morning you have a breakfast buffet, this consist of toast, bagles, cereal, juices, fresh fruit, ect... No not eggs and bacon but for a family who eats a light breakfast it works pretty well.

Also, you can request water to go to the parks and if you have a room with a refrigerator, (I think all conceirge rooms do) stock up on pop, and snacks for late in the evening when you get back from the parks.

For us our food for the day usually consist of continental breakfast at the Poly, later miday if they boys (13, 12, 4) are hungry they will get a burger and then a big sit down meal for dinner.

I find the Poly does save us $$ on food with all the snacks and drinks they give you throughout the day. The kids don't snack in the parks as much and I don't find myself buying as many drinks in the parks. Our kids snack consistanly at home so it works well for us at the poly when they can go to the lounge midday and get a cookie and lemonaid. Also they have late evening cordials and deserts graemlins/clappy.gif dont miss this a must for any guest.

Grace
06-21-2002, 12:18 PM
I must agree that consierge saves money, especially if you have 2 or more children. And the convenience is worth a great deal, too. It's a huge time-saver! You can get a really good breafast early, and get to the parks on time. We and our 2 children ended up buying only 1 meal per day - the consierge snacks and food offerings were so good and filling that we just didn't feel the need to go to a restaurant for anything else. Granted, we do spend quite a bit of time at our resort. But the location of Hawaii building is tops, too!

Belle777
06-21-2002, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all of your great advice. I just hope now I can get a great annual pass rate for it!

LottaLubes
06-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Good luck getting a rate...you are going to love it there. Whenever I've called to get an AP price for Poly/concerige it seems that all the rooms they offer are lagoon view. This is an added bonus. I still get chills when I think about how I was able to watch my daughter fall asleep while looking at the castle.

I agree with everything posted above and I would like to add that the lounge also saved us money on meals. We cancelled quite a few meals as the kids prefered to eat there. Heck, it saved us about $50 right off the bat because we didn't have to buy the refillable mugs. It was very convenient to grab something to eat and hop out to the pool.

As far as location, the first and second floors are non-smoking, the 3rd is smoking optional. We ended up on the 2nd floor and it worked out great being on the same level as the lounge. I could easily allow the kids to walk to the lounge without worrying about them too much.

If you have any children that perfer Apple Juice, just ask...they have some juice boxes in the kitchen that they will be happy to give you.

And if you get a chance, take a few minutes to watch Dick create his masterpieces out of fruits and vegetables. He makes, palm trees, dolphins, whales, pokeman, whatever.

Have fun! Last year the AP rates came out around July 5th so keep an eye out, you'll want to grab a rate right away!

Again, good luck and have a blast! graemlins/mickey.gif

[ June 21, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: LottaLubes ]

singermom4
06-21-2002, 11:01 PM
Just adding another vote for Poly concierge. Also, with 3 kids, I think you will definitely save money as it is only about $55 extra per day to get concierge - the breakfast and a few drinks will get you to that amount pretty quickly. Although Captain Cook's does have inexpensive meal options, it is so much more convenient to go down the hall for a drink than across the grounds. I will say, however, that most of the food is of pretty average quality with the exception of the dessert spread at night ( I think Kona cafe supplies them).

As for AP rates, the availability is comes and goes based on demand so if you're booking through central res you should keep checking for AP rates to open up based on cancellations or other factors. Also, since the penalty for cancellations kicks in at 5 days prior to booking date, that is the optimum time (other than when AP rates are first announced) to grab a cancelled AP room. Good luck!

Goofy Gail
06-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Another thunmbs up for the poly. If I was to do concierge again it would be nothing but the polly, I was on the second floor, I think the room was 2715, LV facing the castle....mama mia, it was great. the people were so friendly, the food oferings were great and the convience of just grabbing a cold bottle of water before going to the pool was great. it was worth the extra money I spent to have that extra for a great vacation. I after that went BWI concierge and it stunk, you couldn't compare. smile.gif