PDA

View Full Version : Refillable mugs .... debate

Rhetoric2000
12-02-2001, 08:26 AM
Value of buying refillable mugs varies depending on which resort you are staying.....Discuss

Wilderness Lodge (excellent value) go down to Roaring Forks and fill up with anything you like including hot chocolate with marshmallow toppings.
Anytime, easy to access, help your self, lots of choice. Choice of 2 mug styles

Beach Club (only okay)limited choice, usually have to queue, served at the bars but not welcomed. If you are in certain rooms you have to walk a long way in the morning. Only 1 type of mug.

Anyone with similar observations?

wendy*darling
12-02-2001, 09:14 AM
I would also say you should consider how much time you are spending at your resort.
If you are an "up early and gone all day" type, than the mugs probably aren't worth the money.

But, if you NEED that morning coffee, head back to the resort for a midday break and spend some time in the evening unwinding, than they are a great value.

I would agree that at some of the resorts, it is more of a pain than an easy fill-up.
We stayed at the Boardwalk last December. The walk to the lounge wasn't bad, but they had very limited hours. The only other place to get refills was at the pool or the Bakery out on the Boardwalk, and that was inconvenient. For our family of 4, we bought 2 mugs, and that was fine for us.

When we stayed at the Contemporary, it was easier, just a quick elevator ride to the fast food place which was open almost all the time. Self-serve is nice too.

So think about your habits and look at the location and hours of where you can get the refills before you decide.

mulderxcoltrane
12-02-2001, 09:16 AM
I think the mugs at the All-Stars are a great idea. If you're thinking about what they look like, they're not extremely flashy. However, I think no matter what building you stay in, you're saving money. Last 2 times I went to WDW and stayed at the AS, we brought our mugs to the food court with us, filled them for our meal and as we were heading to the buses. We'd also take some napkins. Then when we got to the parks, we rinsed out the mugs, wiped them out, and stuck them in our backpacks. Then we'd refill them on the way back in the resort at the end of the day.

imported_PolyGirl40
12-02-2001, 10:11 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wendy*darling:

But, if you NEED that morning coffee, head back to the resort for a midday break and spend some time in the evening unwinding, than they are a great value.

<hr></blockquote>

That would be US! :D

Captain Cook's at the Polynesian is open 24/7. You do not have to wait in line for refills -- It is a separate station. They offer everything from hot cocoa to soft drinks.

I'm an earlier riser. I head there between 5:30 & 6:30 a.m. for my coffee -- and take a walk, while everyone else is still sleeping.

graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ElenitaB
12-02-2001, 11:01 AM
I'm definitely into refillable mugs... even for a decaf tea drinker like me, they prove to be valuable (the Contemporary had a yummy decaf raspberry tea available), and for the rest of our party, they are also a great treat. My 6-yr old even treated himself to a mug full of frozen Jolt :eek: ! Talk about non-stop talking!!! graemlins/laughing.gif

prprincess
12-02-2001, 11:44 AM
I found the mugs a great buy at the All-Star Resorts where I frequented the food court more because they sold a bigger variety of things.

At the Coronado Springs Resort it was a waste of my money--I got tired of the Pepper Market by our second day, and yeah, I could just go there to refill my mug, but the main building is somewhat far from the Casitas, Ranchos, etc.

jokat
12-02-2001, 12:37 PM
We bought one refillable one our trip and it worked well for us. We stayed at GF, and would fill it up at the Gasparilla in the morning, drink one cup there, fill it again and walk out to wait on the monorail. We'd have it emptied by the time we reached our destination usually, and just pop it in the backpack. Then we would fill it again when we got back to the resort that night. What we didn't like however is there were only 2 styles, and both were "childish" for lack of a better term. Not to mention the small size. All in all, it was a good purchase. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
12-02-2001, 12:46 PM
We've bought the mugs at the GF and Cont. and found them very useful. We'll take ours back to the Cont. in Feb. We fill 'em in the morning on our way out and then in the parks hang them on the stroller handle and fill them from the water fountains when we feel like a drink graemlins/mickey.gif

tinkabell
12-02-2001, 01:08 PM
we bought one refillable mug on the first day of our vacation. came in very good use. they do not have mr.pibb on eastern long island so its flowing thru our veins when we leave wdw graemlins/crazy.gif

Figment!
12-02-2001, 01:33 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wendy*darling:
I would also say you should consider how much time you are spending at your resort.
<hr></blockquote>

I think it all comes down to this, if you don;t spend any time at the resorts I would not even bother with it.

Jennib
12-02-2001, 05:00 PM
I think it also depends on how long you stay. If you are only staying 2 or 3 nights I don't think it is worth it but longer you get your money's worth!!

HooksLeftHand
12-02-2001, 07:07 PM
Actually, it should be easy to figure out if it's worth it or not: Just take the price of mug, divided by the cost of a drink. Will you use the mug more or fewer times than your answer? Simple math.

I wish I had the numbers here to demonstrate, but I know that at the All-Star, I drank enough each morning and night that it paid for itself in no time.

Disney2002
12-02-2001, 07:25 PM
Wow, okay -- this thread proves some serious Disney devotion if you ask me!

Jillpie
12-02-2001, 10:25 PM
These mugs are definitely worth the money! We bought 4 POR mugs 4 years ago and are still using them each year. Thats the beauty of them, you can keep bringing them back and use them with each trip.

Dawn
12-03-2001, 06:57 AM
We were at All Star Movies for 14 nights. Coffee in the morning, drink for on the way to the park, drink when we got back from the park.

3 drinks each day x 14 days x 2 people = much, much more than $8.99 x 2 for mugs. :D

Pongo
12-03-2001, 08:18 AM
They quickly paid for themselves between the morning coffee and afternoon sodas. Once we got home we started using the mugs to save change for our next trip. In just over a year we have rolled over $300 dollars which will go for Disney dollars for next year.

Lil'Lady
12-05-2001, 02:45 AM
No Dew..No Mug....nuff said.

frakers
12-05-2001, 07:36 AM
We buy one at each resort we stay in. Needless to say, we have quite a large collection. We've reused them when we stay at a resort more than once so we save money there. I do wish they would come up with something other than carbonated drinks and that awful pink lemonade. It's like drinking a bowl of sugar with a sprinkling of water.
The All Stars have the right idea, offering Powerade. That's what I could use after a long day of wandering around. I understand the reasoning behind that (Sports = Power/Gatorade), but, dang, give me something refreshing that's not carbonated!

brownie
12-05-2001, 08:30 AM
We liked using our mugs. Too bad there's not a mug that you could get that could be used everywhere - any resort and in the theme parks (and good forever). Wonder how much they'd charge for that?

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
12-05-2001, 12:04 PM
Must have coffee.

I only buy one mug...used almost exclusively in the a.m. The girls know it's "MaMa's Mug" until I have my fill of java. They drink milk at breakfast.Then they fill the mug with rootbeer to share as we wait for the bus to the parks.

If you neglect to rinse, it's a perfect bee magnet for the stroller, if you like to really get into the mood for "Pooh"!

Grace
12-05-2001, 12:54 PM
If you have children, or spend any time at all in the food courts, the mugs are a good idea. We bought ours on our first trip (Dixie Landings/ PO-R) in 1998 and have used them lots of times since. It's so easy for the kids to grab their mugs and run down to the food court for a cold drink - and they love getting their own drinks! The mugs have paid for themselves many times over.
We did notice on our last trip three weeks ago that the mugs have changed since the Dixie Landings name was changed - now the mugs are green and tan. Ours are red and white, and although we saw plenty of folks with mugs, we only saw two other people with red and white ones. I guess that goes to show how many people are first-time guests at that particular resort. Sort of a simplified attandance study.