PDA

View Full Version : Polynesian Luau Dinner Show

Stephen_SC
07-23-2001, 01:07 PM
Can anyone give a brief review of the Polynesian Luau Dinner Show? Is it worth attending?

------------------

PolyGirl40
07-23-2001, 04:26 PM
I've attended the Luau several times and have enjoyed it on every occasion http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif Although, there often seems to be a debate in reference to the food served, we find it to be very tasty and authentic http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

There is a description of the Luau right here at Intercot in the Polynesian resort section...

Polynesian Information Link (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/polynesian/default.asp)

------------------
~Carol
"To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain."

Goofy Pluto
07-24-2001, 11:37 AM
My family has had fun going to the Luau and it is a good time, but I wouldn't overly recommned it, especially to picky eaters. The food is good, but like the above poster said, very authentic. I found some of the food to be good, some of it not so good. As a matter of fact, I think it actually made me sick one time.

The dancers are fun, though, and you can't beat dancing girls in grass skirts. One guy came over, picked up my Mom's camera, and took a picture of himself with his tongue sticking out. It was a pretty funny picture. I also got drafted to dance one time, and I CAN'T dance. We have, um, "great" video of that. Kids can have fun with it, too. There's a part of the show where they let the kids come up on stage.

Overall, if you haven't done it, go ahead and give it a try. It is fun, but for my money, the Hoop De Doo Revue is MUCH better. We're doing that in October and skipping the Luau.

------------------
Garsh!

1979 - Polynesian Village
1988 - The Treehouses
1990 - The Treehouses
1997 - The Disney Institute Villas/The Yacht and Beach Club
1999 - The Disney Institute Villas
And coming in October 2001 - The Carribean Beach

gregf71
07-24-2001, 06:01 PM
My fiancee and I enjoyed the Polynesian Luau in December 2000. The show was incredible! Nine dancers, in front of a live band, performed dances from a variety of Polynesian islands. My favorite part had to be the fire dance from Togo. It was amazing!

The PL is a dinner-show and the meal is all-you-can-eat family-style. The appetizer arrived with coconut-banana bread and rice noodles. Both were excellent, especially the bread! The main course was made up of rotisserie chicken, seasoned pork in a sweet and sour sauce, shrimp fried rice, and stir-fried vegetables. I loved the pork, while the chicken was good, but not very flavorful. The vegetables were very good, and the rice was ok. Dessert was a large slice of pineapple upside down cake. It was fluffy, sweet, and full of flavor! Heavenly! The cost for two adults was $92.44 back then (entertainment, meal, tax and tip were all included in price of admission). For the overall experience, I considered it a great deal!

But, we did have one problem though...we had a little boy seated directly behind us who REALLY did not want to be there. Throughout most of the dinner show, he screamed, cried, kicked (yes, kicked us), and threw things (ever been hit by a flying chicken leg?). After many dirty looks from people all around us (and from us too of course), the family left. I really felt badly for them. Admission to the PL is not cheap and they were never able to enjoy any of it. The moral of the story, the PL may not be for all small children.

But, to end on a good note, I loved the PL and would love to do it again some time!!!

------------------
WDW - 1993 (Off site), 1996 (All-Star Sports), 1998 (Wilderness Lodge), and 2000 (Wilderness Lodge)

Next trip - Honeymoon, October 2001 (Beach Club and the Disney Wonder)

Stephen_SC
07-25-2001, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the details. We booked the 8p.m. Luau show on 9/25. Also booked a reservation for the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner show. Now, if someone would just cancel their fireworks cruise reservation on 9/24 or 9/26-28 my Disney planning would be complete.

------------------

Nom
07-26-2001, 05:53 PM
The food is very good.

However, the show is a bit long- not a good choice after a long, hot day at the parks. If you're at all tired, it will seem like an eternity!

------------------

darthmacho
07-27-2001, 10:11 AM
My wife and I enjoyed the Luau on our honeymoon and I agree that it is more of an adult oriented show, though I'm sure a kid would enjoy the fire dancers. It's got an open bar during the show, so it is also good if you want to let loose. Then again, we might have had a few too many of those Lava drinks! I thought that the food was good, despite the criticisms I've read on these boards. I've also heard good things about the Hoop-dee-doo, but haven't seen it. Have fun.

------------------
Hang on to your personal belongings now, especially them hats and glasses, for this is the wildest ride in the wilderness!

Disney Trips:
Spring 1998: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days for Honeymoon
Fall 1999: Coronado Springs, 8 days for Halloween

Crow
07-29-2001, 07:41 PM
thinkin about goin here next trip since Ill be there 9 nights. hopefully if I do its worth it.

------------------
several trips as kid.
twice w wives (offsite & Diz village) 86? & 96
alone ASM 99
next trip Sept 01. CBR,POR & Swan

eringal
08-05-2001, 06:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
[B]Although, there often seems to be a debate in reference to the food served, we find it to be very tasty and authentic http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif
{/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Authentic? I'm there! Thanks for clearing
up the confusion! I've been debating back
and forth and this cliches it. Besides, to
be a true WDW gourmet I have to try every
place and I've been stuck in a rut for
awhile.

Erin

------------------
Don't be Cheee-kin!
Honeymoon '96
1st Anniv '97