PDA

View Full Version : Dining Review with prices, Part I (aka The Week of Gluttony, Part I)

EvaBryan
06-12-2001, 11:22 PM
Part I – Let the Pig-Out Begin!!!!!

Note: We brought our own Brita water bottles and filled them up at water fountains throughout the day, which saved us a fortune. Water is $2.50 a bottle at the parks, which is a disgusting price to pay. Our Brita bottles were $6.99 each at Target (we missed the sale when you could get 2 for $10), and they more than earned their keep. We were afraid that the water wouldn’t be as cold as the Zephyrhills bottles, but once you walk around with WDW water for a short time, it warms up pretty quickly.

Where we ate and what we paid:

Sunday, June 3

Dinner: Crystal Palace, PS for 5:15PM
$39.90 for two adults (full buffet including sodas), plus tax and tip.
This dinner is always wonderful and is one of our favorites. My only complaint is that they season the shrimp with some sort of pickling spice. I love peel-n-eat shrimp, but I like it sans seasoning (Old Bay and such). Our server, Kathy, was wonderful and kept all of our drinks filled all of the time. We almost felt like she was exclusively waiting on us. Needless to say Kathy got a great tip. The characters each came around at least 2 times that I remember and it wasn’t all that noisy. In fact, we never had a really noisy experience.

Snacks: Large lemonade at Casey’s - $2.39, including tax
Bucket of popcorn at the Hub - $3.50, including tax

Monday, June 4

Breakfast: Sunshine Season Food Fair, no PS
$18.24 for two adults, including tax.
We ate a very early lunch (before 11AM) since we didn’t eat much at the condo early that morning. We ordered a Chicken Sandwich combo and a Chicken & Ribs combo and a large lemonade. This is our favorite fast-food place to eat and we try to eat here at least once each trip.

Lunch: Liberty Inn, no PS
We ate a light lunch since we would be eating a large dinner at Rose & Crown that night and we had pigged out at The Land. We ordered two hot dog kids meals at Liberty Inn, which was more than enough for us. Bryan figured that from there forward it was cheaper for him to order 2 kids meals than one grown-up meal with a large soda and he would get almost the same amount of food. He is a big eater and that kind of stuff is important to him.

Dinner: Rose & Crown, PS for 7:20PM
$47.88 for two adults, not including tip but including tax.
We ordered appetizers, split one entrée, and ordered dessert. We really didn’t want dessert, but we finished eating by 8:10 and didn’t want to lose our terrace table. Hint: for a party of two, make a PS for 7:45 – you cannot possible stretch your dinner until 8:30-8:45 unless you eat REALLY slowly. With a larger party I imagine it takes longer to eat. We even waited to order the entrée until we finished the appetizers.
Bryan ordered a pint of Black & Tan and I drank water. He ordered a garden salad with a yummy vinagrette dressing and I ordered the fruit and cheese platter. We split a prime rib with veggies and roasted potatoes, and we finished up with a Sherry trifle and chocolate Guinness cake. Both were delicious, although I liked the trifle a little better than the cake.

Tuesday, June 5

Lunch: Prime Time Café, PS for 1:20PM
$32.33 for two adults, not including tax but including tip
This is our second visit to this restaurant, and although we like it, I think we will try somewhere else in the future. We like the restaurant, but there is always a long wait (even with a PS), and it is a little noisy and tables with children or large parties often get more attention from the servers. Our server was very nice, but I quickly lost interest in the over-active kids at the next table trying to get his attention – the seating is often a little too-close-for-comfort here. Bryan ordered a chicken sandwich and I ordered the meatloaf – we both had Cokes. The food was good and hot and came out in a decent amount of time, but I think we will skip this one on the next trip.

Dinner: Pecos Bill Café, no PS
$13.64 for two adults, including tax
Hands down, our favorite burger joint. Can’t beat that fixings bar! I order the Paul Bunyan (cheeseburger and fries) and Bryan had the Paul Bunyan with bacon. Shared a large lemonade. We try to “healthyize” them with extra tomatoes and lettuce. When you have to eat burgers and fries, this is the place to do it!

Snack: Root beer float at Studio Catering Company to split, $3.71 including tax.

Wednesday, June 6

Lunch: Tusker House, no PS
$18.27 for two adults, including tax
We discovered Tusker last year. We were heading towards the safari and headed for Tusker, instead of Flame Tree BBQ like we planned. Bryan ate a chicken sandwich (can you tell he likes chicken?) and I ordered the stew; we split a large coke. The stew was delicious – good broth, lots of veggies, nice and yummy on this rainy day.

Dinner: Boma, PS for 6PM
$47.33 for two adults buffets, including tax but not including tip
Can you say, Zebra Domes???? I liked the meats and desserts at Boma a lot, but wasn’t too fond of some of the veggie dishes. The mashed sweet potato was delicious, but I was disappointed in the couscous – the big cuts of vegetables and spices got lost in the grains. I also was disappointed in the labeling of the items – there was a sign at each station, but when five unknown dishes have to be matched to five unusual names, it can be difficult, since the dishes aren’t always laid left to right. The CM’s were very nice about explaining everything, although they would have to do a lot less explaining if the labeling was better. The ribs were some of the best I have ever had, as was the prime rib. And the desserts were to die for. I asked for the recipe for the Zebra Domes – I am not a big fan of chocolate mousse, but these were deliciously smooth.

Snack: Bottle of Fruit Punch Powerade from some food cart near Dinosaur, $3.00 including tax.

------------------

PolyGirl40
06-13-2001, 09:03 AM
We had 7:45 PS' for the Rose & Crown..We were seated by 8..For a party of 5 it worked out perfectly..We were eating dessert through RoE..Loved this restaurant!~

Great dining report!..I wish everyone posted one..My entire family love the dining experiences at WDW..

Thank you!..Now I'm hungry!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
~Carol
"To get to the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain."

beth
06-13-2001, 10:57 AM
We usually do between 7-7:30. Because I need to talk to the chef it usually takes a little longer (also I like my food well done which adds on time). Many times we are finishing up as the show begins! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

thanks for the great food report. I really appreciate it!

------------------
beth
[email protected]
Intercot Staff Member

"Love and Mercy that's what you need tonight. So Love and Mercy to you and your friends tonight."

For more fun on all things Disney, check out our sister site, www.webdisney.com (http://www.webdisney.com)

For fun and info on the land that started it all check out our sister site: www.intercotwest.com (http://www.intercotwest.com)

ChipDale
06-22-2001, 09:05 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post this, Eva! I know exactly what you mean about the "week of gluttony" - happens to us every trip! http://www.intercot.com/boards/sarcblink.gif

Great report! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Jane

VickiP
06-22-2001, 07:03 PM
YUM! Thanks for sharing.

By the way, did they give you the recipe??

------------------
Momma don't whup little Buford, Momma don't pound on his head,
Momma don't whup little Buford, I think you should shoot him instead.

Country Bear Jamboree