PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews

KarenHelt
01-30-2001, 01:57 PM
We just got back from our trip Jan 13-21, 2001 and I thought I would post a review on the places where we ate. Overall, it was great. We did not have any bad food or service. Counter service was usually just OK, but the sit down meals were great. I had PS for all the dinners except for the last night and for one breakfast and one lunch. We had two adults and two kids (9 & 11). I'll include our total bill including tip. We normally do not drink alcohol, so your cost may vary depending on what you order and how you tip.

Saturday, 6:55pm PS, Crystal Palace, $73
Character dinner, buffet
Food was fresh, tasty, excellent. Service was good. Characters were Pooh, Tigger, Eeorye. Restaurant was lovely, tables seemed crowded. We enjoyed this dinner.

Sunday, noon PS, Garden Grill, $67
Character lunch, family style
Food was fresh, catfish seemed like mostly breading, liked the flank steak. Service was fine. Characters were Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale. Chip and Dale were playing which was fun, but they played so much that Dale skipped our table. Our waiter took us to him since he did not come back before we were finished. Restaurant rotates, we got a booth on the lower level, facing outward. They were going to seat us on the upper level, so if you want the lower level, ask. I found the food just good, not great. I probably won't do this one again.

Sunday, 7:20pm PS, Rose and Crown, $93
Here we were hoping for an outside table to watch Illuminations. I checked in about 7:10-7:15 and we were seated by 7:30pm. I asked for a table on the lower terrace if possible. We got the table on the left end of the lower terrace, looking at the lagoon. Great location! We had the mushroom melady and the lamb soup for appeatizers - both great. My husband had the prime rib and I had the pie sampler. The kids (9 & 11) had the fish and chips off the kids menu. My husband loved the prime rib. The pies were good and I'm glad I tried them as I wanted to sample the ethnic foods, but I will probably do something else next time. We also had two of the Millennium desserts (white chocolate mousse in dark chocolate Spaceship earths). We were just finishing dessert when Illuminations started. It was wonderful. This meal was one of the highlights of the week. Service was good - not rushed at all, but not abandoned.

Monday, 10:00AM PS, Donald's Breakfastsaurus, $61
Character breakfast, buffet
Food was good, no cook to order that I saw. They had pepper in the eggs which our kids did not like. Characters were Mickey, Pluto, Donald and Goofy. Tables seemed crowded. Saw the characters a couple of times. Our waiter did not really joke around much like some people have described. Overall, fun, but I think we will try a different character breakfast next time. They take your picture here before seating - we did purchase a copy.

Monday, original PS 6pm, 6:50pm PS, 'Ohanas, $96
Served family style/off of skewers
Due to a mix-up with our luggage (we moved resorts that day), we missed our first PS. However, they were not busy, so had no problem getting in later. We got a table near, but not next to the windows. However, it still had a good view of the MK fireworks. They dimmed the lights and piped in the music for the fireworks, which happened to be a bit late that night. (Like 7:10 instead of 7). The appeatizers were very good - I don't remember any bread. I wonder if our server forgot it or if my memory is fading. For meat they had shrimp, turkey, steak and pork. I liked the shrimp and steak the best. Some if the meat seemed a bit dryed out. You can get as much as you want. I had a strawberry daiquiri and the kids had virgin ones. The drinks were pretty poor - my daiquiri was melted. Good meal, but not as good has we remembered from five years ago.

Tuesday, ~10am, Captain Cook's, $26.67
We got breakfast sandwiches from the snack bar. They were egg, cheese and optionally, bacon on a large croissant. We also got orange juice (bottles). Good, sandwiches were cooked fresh, which meant we had to wait. Decide for the price we were going to try the Kona Cafe next time.

Tuesday, ~1pm, Plaza Pavilion, $13.89
While my husband and I were not hungry, the kids were. We got pizzas for the kids and two large drinks to share. Pizzas were not too great, but the kids didn't really care. We were not impressed here five years ago and are still not impressed. But it was close when the hids got hungry and they wanted pizza.

Tuesday, 5:15pm PS, 1900 Park Fare, $86
Character dinner, buffet
This was our favorite character meal. The food was excellent. There are two buffet lines - they are not duplicates so check both out. They had fresh sliced prime rib. We were there at opening as we were doing E ride night and wanted to be done and at the park before 7pm. The head chef, Vinnie, was out visiting the customers - the kids had fun with him as while as the characters. The characters were villians - Prince John, Governor Ratclief, Queen of Hearts and Caption Hook. Since things were quiet, the characters came around a number of times. Governor Ratclief was causing trouble, playing pranks on the Queen of Hearts and Prince John, so they were chasing each other around. Our table was in the center, just a couple of tables in the door, so when the Queen of Hearts was chasing the Governor, she would made it in past about to our table. Normally she stays in the lobby due to her large skirt, but they were having fun that night. Prince John would use the server or the chef to hide behind. The kids would go tell on the Governor to the queen or the prince when he got close. We laughed so much that evening. Captain Hook seemed to avoid us or pass us by quickly, but we did get his autograph and picture before the night was done. Here the tables had space - you did not feel you were sitting in your neighbors lap and you had room to get up and get pictures. I would definately recommend this character dinner, particularly with older kids.

Wednesday, ~10:30am, Kona Cafe, $42
Today we had breakfast at the Kona Cafe. No problem getting a table. I had the Tonga toast - good! Just don't add syrup. It is sweet, but not too sweet if you eat it by itself.

Wednesday, 6pm PS, Cape May Cafe, $82
Seafood buffet
Had clams, mussels, good ribs, clam chowder, lots of other good food. Great dessert bar. Service was good. Overall, a good meal.

Thursday, ~9am, Kona Cafe, $39
No problem getting a table again. Good food. Service can be a little slow here.

Thursday, 4:30pm Fantasmic Dinner Package, Mama Melrose, $66
To get the Fantasmic pass, everyone needs to order an entree although the kids can order off the kids menu if they wish. We had calamary for an appeatizer. It was good - the breading was so light. The kids didn't care for the sauce they put on it, but I liked it. My husband had the rib steak and I had the salmon. Both were very well prepared with delicous sauces. Mine had a portobella mushroom and asparagus, but no pasta. My husband's steak was served on a small bed of pasta. Lighter, but since it was an early dinner, just right. The kids had pizza off the kids menu. They said it was good. Service was fine. We were seated right away and felt our server did a good job. And getting the reserved seating section was nice. We just walked over after eating - got there about at about 5:45 pm - 45 minutes early. We got seats at the left end of the seating section, about 14 rows up. They seemed had fine seats to me. The stadium did fill up, but not until right before the show.

Friday, ~2pm, Pizzafari & Flame Tree Barbaque, $11.33 & 22.87
We had breakfast in the room, so today we wanted lunch. We grabbed two pizzas from Pizzafari for the kids and headed for the Flame Tree to get sandwiches for us. We also got a basket of fries and two large drinks to share. The kids pizza seemed good, but they had eaten most of it before we got through the line at the Flame Tree (slow). I thought the meat was a bit dry and neither of us cared for the barbaque sauces they had. At least you could add as much or as little as you wanted. I think next time I might just get pizza with the kids.

Friday, 6:30pm PS, Teppanaki (Japan), $93
This is the restaurant where you sit around the grill and the chef cooks your food in front of you. Usually the chefs put on a bit of a show in the process. We got excellant food and no show. As my husband said - he must have had tenure. He was an older chef, but there was no spatula twirling or fancy stuff for him. He was there to cook only. He did flip the last piece of meat or shrimp onto the plates, but that was it. The food was excellant - I had shrimp and steak. My husband had scallops and steak. My daughter had the kid's steak and my son had the kid's shrimp. The kids meals came with fruit instead of salad and their meat portions were smaller, but otherwise they had the same food. My kids liked the food. My husband had a beer here.

Saturday, ~9:30am, Kona Cafe, $40
We were back again. Good breakfast.

Saturday, ~2pm, Mama Stella's Italian (Seaworld), $33.83
We asked the kids what they wanted for lunch. Just what - pizza. Pizza wasn't bad and we also got a piece of cake for the kids to share. The pizza came with fries - kind of strange.

Saturday, 7pm, Marrakesh (Morroco), $88
We decided to try Marrakesh. We didn't have a PS, but I figured we wouldn't need one. We were seated right away. My husband and I each ordered the sampler dinner. It came with appeatizer - a beef roll flavored with cinnamon - the kids liked these, a lentil soup - very good, but the kids didn't care for it. Our dinner had lemon chicken and lamb sheska bob, and coscos with vegetables. Michael got the hamburger and asked for the sauce on the side in case he didn't like it. He got two bare hamberger patties - looked kind of dry. They never brought the sauce. Kayla got the beef sheska bob which she did not eat too well. The kids got ice cream for dessert and we got two types of baklava. We did see the show - it's pretty short. There was also a man with his little son that he was trying to get to dance with the belly dancer. They came and stood right in front of our table for most of the show, blocking our view. The boy was not interested in the dancer - he was interested in the drum player. While the boy was cute, I was pretty annoyed with the dad when he kept blocking our view. They play once an hour for about 15 minutes (the belly dancer is out for about half the time). They came out a second time as we were leaving - we watched a few minutes, but did not stay for the whole show. It was the same dancer, but different custume. We will probably not do this one again, at least not with the kids. Chris and I liked the food, but the kids did not like their choices.

Sunday, ~9:30am, Kona Cafe, $42
Today the empty cafe was gone. All the tables were full and we had a wait. They said 45 minutes, but it turned out to be about 25 minutes. Service was also somewhat slow. Both Chris and I had Tonga toast as a last treat and for our last meal at WDW.

If you have any questions about the above places, I would be happy to answer them.

Karen

------------------

[This message has been edited by KarenHelt (edited January 31, 2001).]

Leah
01-30-2001, 05:22 PM
Do you know if Mickey is always at the Breakfastsaurus?

------------------

KarenHelt
01-30-2001, 05:32 PM
Well, they never promise any specific characters at any specific meal, but I think Mickey is a regular at Donald's Breakfastsaurus. He was dressed up as the Troop Leader of the Dino Scouts. Mickey and Pluto were our two duplicates at our character meals. Mickey was dressed up as a farmer at the Garden Grill.

Karen

------------------

Pixie Dust
01-30-2001, 09:15 PM
Wow, what a great post. Thanks so very much for sharing all you dinning experiences with us! Your details were wonderful.

And you made me long for Kong Toast http://www.intercot.com/boards/biggrin.gif !!

Thanks again for the post.... many people will get some great references!

------------------
Pam AKA Pixie Dust
Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining

[email protected]

Those who have not been just can't imagine what they are missing.

kiahrah
01-31-2001, 06:00 AM
http://www.intercot.com/boards/tasty.gif
I am soooo hungary from your post. Its sounds like you had a GREAT variety of food and experiences!

------------------
Kiahrah
WDW Addict
1st Year Wedding Anniv. - May 2001 All Star Resort
Honeymoon Boardwalk Villas May '00
Disneyland '95
Off-site '92, '87
Contemporary '81 & '78

Mr. Brass Bonanza
01-31-2001, 09:24 AM
I've heard that Breakfastsaurus turns into a McDonald's after breakfast. Is this true? If so, is it obvious when you're there for breakfast?

Thanks!

http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif Mark

------------------
Mr. Brass Bonanza
Intercot Moderator
[email protected]

Interested in inexpensive communication services?
Curious about starting a self-paced home-based business?
Enjoy helping people you know...like me? :)

Visit my Excel Communications site (http://www.excelir.com/mlopa) today, an Intercot site sponsor

-----

Check out these Intercot sister sites!

WebDisney (http://www.webdisney.com) The Definitive Guide To Disney On The Internet
Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com) Disneyland Inside & Out

PolyGirl40
01-31-2001, 09:45 AM
What a great Dining Report!! http://www.intercot.com/boards/ksmile.gif

Thank you so much for sharing!!!...We have 7:40 PS' for the Rose & Crown in March..Your review was wonderful!!!...It will be our first time there...It sounds like you had a great experience there.. http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif

We love the Kona Cafe!!!..It is one of our favorite WDW restaurants...It's a grand perk while staying at the Polynesian Resort.. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
~Carol

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one
thing it takes to accomplish something, is courage."
-Walt Disney

wendy*darling
01-31-2001, 10:52 AM
Great information!!

It's very valuable for people to know just what it actually costs to eat in some of these places. I've eaten in most of the places you reported about and had some similar and some very different experiences.

If you really want to try some place- go ahead- only you and your family can decide if it's good for you. It sure helps reading a bunch of opinions ahead of time tho http://www.intercot.com/boards/wink.gif

As for Donald's breakfast being a MCDonald's... yes, it's true. But it's not at all obvious when you are there for the breakfast. There are a few clues, but my husband had to point it out to me after we finished eating. They do a great job of transforming it into a facility for the paleontologists http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

Thanks, Karen for the great report http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
Linda aka: wendy*darling
Intercot Staff: Disney & Orlando Dining
[email protected]

WDW:
4/92 (MK day trip only); 9/93 (Poly); 10/96 (DL & BC); 6/98 (YC); 2/00 (Contemporary)
Next: 12/00 (BWI);
then June 2001 (Fort Wilderness tent camping with the Boy Scouts!!)

NicoleP91
01-31-2001, 11:07 AM
Thank you for posting your reviews! I was happy to hear about your good experience at 1900 Park Faire for the Villain's Dinner. We have PS arrangements there for our trip and March and I had heard a rumor that they were going to be discontinuing the villains and have other characters there. It's good to hear they haven't done so yet!

Nicole

------------------

duggan
01-31-2001, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the time it took you to review those restaurants - very helpful!

------------------

ChipDale
01-31-2001, 12:47 PM
Great reviews! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Sorry you didn't care for the Garden Grill much - we have always been served fresh & hot delicious food there (we skip the fish and they give us extra chicken and steak).

You didn't mention if you had the Kona Cafe's bacon (best on the property by my experience!) - we ate breakfast there several times during our last visit and loved it every time.

Also sorry that you didn't get a chef with a lot of "flair" at the Teppanyaki, but it sounds like the food was good.

It sounds like overall your planning paid off and you had great dining experiences! http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Jane

[This message has been edited by ChipDale (edited January 31, 2001).]

alwaysbusy
01-31-2001, 01:24 PM
Hi...I really enjoyed your reviews. I'd like to try some of those places. I'm going in March and haven't made PS yet. I hope it's not too late.

I wasn't quite sure which restaurant you were reviewing for you Monday dinner when you said,

"Monday, original PS 6pm, 6:50pm PS, $96
Served family style/off of skewers"

Would you mind posting which one? Thanks!

------------------

wendy*darling
01-31-2001, 02:05 PM
That was Ohana's at the Polynesian.
Great place http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
[email protected]

WDW:
4/92 (MK day trip only); 9/93 (Poly); 10/96 (DL & BC); 6/98 (YC); 2/00 (Contemporary)

KarenHelt
01-31-2001, 10:58 PM
Sorry about forgetting 'Ohana on the one entry. I edited it. No, I never had the bacon at the Kona Cafe, although the kids did. It seemed like about half the time they thought it was over done. However, kids can be picky.

Yes where they serve the Breakfastsaurus is a counter service place, but as mentioned, it is not obvious. They have a moving partition up in the center that kind of blocks the counter service area in the center of the building. The counters that the buffet is served from are on wheels - they remove them after the breakfast. It appeared that they serve the breakfast on both ends of the building.

Karen

------------------

[This message has been edited by KarenHelt (edited January 31, 2001).]

TexasMom
02-01-2001, 08:12 AM
let me get this straight in my head - the character breakfast in AK is at a McDonalds? Is it the typical Mickey D's breakfast food or is it more? I have seen a couple of pictures of the restaurant, so I know it's not like walking to to the one down the street, but seriously, is that what it is? WOW!

------------------
TexasMom

wendy*darling
02-01-2001, 10:23 AM
Oh no... the food is NOT McDonald's food at all http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

It is definitely Disney Character buffet food- lots of hot and cold choices, pancakes made to order, OJ, and other drinks served at your table. It's great. I was really surprised to find out (when we were DONE eating) that it was a McD's.

We all enjoyed this breakfast- and will do it again on our next family trip.

------------------
[email protected]

WDW: