PDA

View Full Version : A brief history of INTERCOT?

candleshoe
05-03-2002, 12:34 AM
I'm interested/curious in knowing INTERCOTS origins. Is it an "official" Disney site? When did it start? Whose idea was it and is he or she still cruising the boards? How did you get to be a moderator? What was the 1st topic posted? So many questions...any answers? Is there a spot on the website that already has this info? Thanks! graemlins/mickey.gif

MKPlutoGuy
05-03-2002, 06:06 AM
INTERCOT is an unofficial Disney site, meaning Disney's official representatives aren't here to say their opinions. The site was created by JohnY, who is head of a company called Levelbest Communications. They build webpages, and Intercot is one of them. I would guess it was JohnY who wanted to start a website on Disney World, and yes, he's still here today.

The first members joined the Discussion Boards in April of 1999. I think, though, the site may have been around a little before that, but I'm not sure.

When the site needs new moderating changes, it first gets brought up in the Moderator Forum. There the current moderators nominate candidates based on contributions to the boards. John has the final say. Once it is agreed, John asks the person to join. I think the last moderating update was in October with the new boards...since then there have been a few adjustments with stars and whatnot, but everything else has remained the same. So, keep on posting answers to peoples' questions, be helpful, but not overpowerful, and you'll get noticed. smile.gif

I'm not sure about the first post. Maybe it was a test post? I know, that in the beginning, there was just one forum where everything got posted. You'll have to ask those people who were here in the beginnning. smile.gif

Hope I've been of some help. smile.gif

Jared
05-03-2002, 06:57 AM
One thing that Eddy didn't mention was that INTERCOT was actually started in 1997, but the message boards weren't there yet. Besides that, I think Eddy hit it right on the head. smile.gif

imported_JohnY
05-03-2002, 08:10 AM
Actually, there were posts to the boards before 1999... just not these boards. Prior to that we used a different software.

candleshoe
05-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the interesting information. I didn't realize that moderators were plucked right from the Boards- that's very cool!

I was hoping the first message would be something historical, something like, "Disney had a little mouse..." ;)

...but I can't help but ask one more question- If JohnY started this site, why is he listed as member #3? Who are the #1 and #2 members! smile.gif

imported_dpamac
05-03-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by candleshoe:
...but I can't help but ask one more question- If JohnY started this site, why is he listed as member #3? Who are the #1 and #2 members! smile.gif Numbers 1 and 2 are his brothers Harpo and Chico. Number 4 is his brother Zeppo.

Ed
05-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Which makes JohnY....... uhmmmmm, never mind. graemlins/blush.gif
________
F2 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_F2)

imported_JohnY
05-03-2002, 10:31 AM
Walt is #1
Mickey is #2
John is #3 (won't roy be upset?)

Ok, you probably want the real reason. Back when the discussion boards software was first out, you didn't have to create a user account during the set up process... the boards came with a default account and password to set them up. So, I set up the boards and had 2 friends test them out before I released them to the public, then I signed up which made me member number 3.

It never made much of a difference until the last year or so, when the boards software allowed you to show member numbers. As you can imagine, you are not the first to ask this question, nor shall you be the last ;)

[ May 03, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: JohnY ]

Imalismom
05-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by dpamac:

Number 4 is his brother Zeppo.ahem...

Checking for red painted toe-nails.. yep,
they are still there, so I guess I'm still a female smile.gif

and where did you get the name Zeppo - there is only one
Ali's Mom smile.gif

[ May 03, 2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Imalismom ]

TiggerRPh
05-03-2002, 11:04 AM
John is being modest....#'s 1 & 2 were John initial effort in creating cyborgs. Because the creation of the site took so much of his time, John needed the cyborgs (JohnX and JohnZ) to handle some of the more mundane work during the night so he could sleep.

These cyborgs are no longer around (they have been deactivated) since the ugly power struggle that happened when the cyborgs wanted credit for the site's creation.

This is the rest of the story.

imported_dpamac
05-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by dpamac:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by candleshoe:
...but I can't help but ask one more question- If JohnY started this site, why is he listed as member #3? Who are the #1 and #2 members! smile.gif Numbers 1 and 2 are his brothers Harpo and Chico. Number 4 is his brother Zeppo.</font>[/QUOTE]Why Zeppo . . . you've changed! My!

;)

AndrewJackson
05-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Maybe I am crazy or something graemlins/crazy.gif but didn't you use to have to pay to become a member, which inlcuded a nice Intercot polo shirt?

I remember posting to the old board, but I can't recall exactly what it looked like. I do remember when the new boards got installed. Wow, what an upgrade.

Thanks JohnY for the info on member #3. I was kinda curious myself.

[ May 03, 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: AndrewJackson ]

candleshoe
05-04-2002, 05:09 PM
Wow, looks like I created a monster with one simple question! :D

Thanks for the "real" answer JohnY, but it sounds a little bland compared to the other theories that have been proposed...are you trying to hide something? The truth is out there...perhaps all will be revealed in the final episode of the X-Files!? (Too bad I stopped watching it about 2 years ago!)

Jared
05-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Ray, are you saying that JohnY is a successful cyborg? I think not! ;) How is he different from JohnX or JohnZ? ;)

Ian
05-04-2002, 11:18 PM
You never had to pay to be a member, but you were able to become a "member" of the site.

This basically meant you sent in a contribution to John to help the keep the site running and in exchange John sent you a shirt.

mktiggerman
05-05-2002, 12:08 AM
man! I wanted to write the intercot history.. to bad.. I'm writing it anyways

once upon a time, many centuries ago (1997) there was a lonely web server somewhere in a lost land (Maryland). One day this web server decided he wanted to be a daddy, so he called, and called. Until finally, Ms. Photoshop Mc Notepad abliged and they were wed.

a few hours later, the Disney Stork, enebriated, dropped a little present on top of the server and intercot came about.

When they owner of the server, JohnY, saw what happened, well.. he couldn't say no. He named the new site Thurman but it disowned him. Finally, he settled on Intercot and the rest is history

TiggerRPh
05-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Disney_nut:
Ray, are you saying that JohnY is a successful cyborg? I think not! ;) How is he different from JohnX or JohnZ? ;) JohnY is the human genius behind Intercot...JohnX and JohnZ "were" the cyborgs!!

Jared
05-05-2002, 10:08 AM
I wonder what would happen if I try to reactivate the cyborgs... graemlins/thedolls.gif

Victor Kelly
05-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Ahhhhhhh. The OLD deiscussion boards. I remember what they looked like. It was a nightmare to read and find things on prior to John Y building this newer, and far better site. I will show an example below of what the old D boards looked like.

POTC or HM?......Mkjr
What I think.........JBL
What I think........PRC1
At night...........Mkjr

What it was is you had the original post by the author. Then you would have the title of the reply to the original post. Then you could have a reply to a reply to a reply, etc. Then you would have another title to a newer reply to the original post.

Complex and messy yes. A headache.....definitely. BUT it got INTERCOT started and that is all that matters. Look how our family has grown in the past few years. We have all had our ups and downs, agruements and agreements here. And some of us (me included) have been here a long time but post little because we just like reading what others have to say.

I have been to other sites but none of them are better that Intercot. This site brings together mainly those people who are not interested in argueing back and forth on an issue but rather share information and opinions. That is why we have the "Graemlins" so we can show our mood when we write so people don't get the wrong idea on a reply.

I also remember people who caused problems are no longer with the site. Those of you older members know what I am talking about.

The staff is good, fair and always polite, and readily take suggestions and answer questions.

John Y. You are doing a great job and so are the moderators. Keep it up. Intercot, WE are still the best on the Net! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif