PDA

View Full Version : Too Tall?

3GoofySons
04-29-2004, 10:12 AM
We thought we read somewhere that the rides were made for people up to 7 feet tall. Can anyone confirm that? DH and DS are 6'8", and we are wondering about the more recent rides. DH had a few tight fits our last trip, nine years ago. DS is planning on riding "everything!!" We hope he won't be disappointed.
Thanks! Intercot Rocks!!!

Timbo
04-29-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm 6'1", considerably shorter than your guys and the only attraction that causes me major difficulties is Dinosaur. I wedge myself in there and it can be painful to my knees because they are right up against the back of the bench in front of me (hard plastic). Some of the other attractions are difficult to get in and out of for tall people, but it's doable. Some that I remember off the top of my head are the Teacups, BTMRR and RRC. There may be others. Once you're in those, though, you're okay.

illini
04-29-2004, 11:16 AM
DH is 6'6" and he was fine. Granted, we didn't get to ride any of the big rides together but he wasn't moaning and complaining.
We didn't try RnRC so not sure on that.

SpecJoe Magic
04-29-2004, 12:36 PM
This is my area of expertise. I'm 6'9'' tall. I can fit into every Disney attraction. smile.gif The real issue is that some attractions are more difficult to fit into than others.

As someone above stated, Dinosaur can be a tight fit for long legs, but it is definitely possible to ride because I rode it only a few days ago. My advice is to make sure that they sit as far back in the seat as possible to give their knees an extra bit of room. I've heard stories about about Dinosaur causing tall people to bump their knees into the back of the seat in front during the ride, but I somehow am able to avoid any bumping problems. I think it's because I use my hands to hold onto the bar and I push into the bar with my hands to help keep my knees back away from the back of the seat in front. There may be a certain row with more leg room, but you'll have to ask a Cast Member about that.

In Space Mountain, there are 3 seats per rocket, and there are 2 rockets connected to each other. Make sure they request either the front or back seat of either rocket. Do not let a Cast Member place them in the middle seat of either rocket because there is less leg room. Once seated in the rocket, before they pull the lap bar down, they should slide their butts forward so that their knees will slide forward and stick up in the air more. This may cause their knees to slightly be outside of the confines of the rocket, but there is no reason to worry. The real key is to make sure their thighs aren't squeezed between the sides of the rocket and the lap bar. Instead, it is far more comfortable to have the thighs closer together and up under the lap bar more instead of pressed against the sides of the rocket. I hope that makes sense. It's the only way I know to explain it.

In Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, make sure they request the front part of the car. Not necessarily the front of the train because that makes not difference. Just make sure they get in the front portion of the individual ride car. There is far more leg room there than in the back portion of the individual ride car as you should be able to tell by looking before boarding. In other words, each individual ride car connected together makes up the whole roller coaster train. Each individul ride car has a front and back seat. Make sure they get the front seat of the indiviual ride car. Your DH and DS should be able to ride side-by-side with no problems.

On Test Track, the front row of the vehicle has lots more leg room than the back so make sure they both get in the front.

On Thunder Mountain, either let them ride in the individual ride cars by themselves (1 per each individual ride car) so that they can spread their legs out across the seat or if they want to sit with someone else in the same individual ride car, tell them to cross the bottom portion (below the knees) of their legs like a pretzel as they sit down.

Splash Mountain is just like Thunder Mountain. Using the one person per seat or legs crossed like a pretzel technique will work well.

If you have any questions about anything concerning this or anything else Disney, feel free to e-mail me or private message me on the boards. The info is in my profile on Intercot. I'm happy to help you. smile.gif

disneydaddy911
04-29-2004, 12:44 PM
i guess being short(5'6")has some advantages,huh? :D

John D
04-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by disneydaddy911:
i guess being short(5'6")has some advantages,huh? :D You said it, brother! graemlins/thumbsup.gif At 5'7", and with my wife, who is all of 5', I never realized how good I have it.

Of course, then all of these guys in the earlier posts somehow get right in front of me at the Muppet theatre... :rolleyes:

DisneyWizard
04-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 3GoofySons:
We thought we read somewhere that the rides were made for people up to 7 feet tall. Can anyone confirm that? Yes, some of the newer roller coasters (at any theme park) require that not only must you be over the minimum height requirement, but under the maximum as well. I can't find exact numbers online, but someone at the ride will be able to tell you if you can or cannot ride.

3GoofySons
04-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Thank you! Your help will certainly come in handy. DS wants to hit all the thrill rides and would have been disappointed if he couldn't fit in. We'll take your advice with us to remind him to ask for the specific seats. 55 days to go! graemlins/clappy.gif

SpecJoe Magic
04-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by John D:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by disneydaddy911:
[qb]Of course, then all of these guys in the earlier posts somehow get right in front of me at the Muppet theatre... :rolleyes: That could very well have been me. :D

Being short or tall both have advantages and disadvantages. Obviously, being tall is a disadvantage on rides, but it's an advantage while watching parades. I never line up early for a parade. I just wait until it starts, and I stand behind everyone. I can still see everything. tongue.gif

3GoofySons,
As I said earlier, please feel free to e-mail me or private message me if you have any further questions regarding this or anything else about Disney.

talltravis
05-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Hey,

I'm 6' 9" too!!!

But I haven't rode Space Mountain in forever because my knees always stick to either side of
the rocket. I might have to try your trick.

Other than that I'm fine with everything else.

Oh..and did you ever used to ride Tower of Terror
when they had the lap bar go across the entire row? I always felt sorry about the poor victims sitting to either side of me.But that's probably why they changed it to the seatbelts.

SpecJoe Magic
05-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by talltravis:
Hey,

I'm 6' 9" too!!!

But I haven't rode Space Mountain in forever because my knees always stick to either side of
the rocket. I might have to try your trick.

Other than that I'm fine with everything else.

Oh..and did you ever used to ride Tower of Terror
when they had the lap bar go across the entire row? I always felt sorry about the poor victims sitting to either side of me.But that's probably why they changed it to the seatbelts. Great to see an Intercotee as tall as me on the boards!

Yes, I rode the Tower of Terror for many years when the lap bar was there. I also felt sorry for those that got stuck in the same row as me because there would be extra space between their laps and the lap bar due to my legs stopping the lap bar at a higher position. I later discovered that there are those that enjoyed having that extra space there because it would cause them to get more "air time" by lifting them off of their seats more before the lap bar stopped them.

Momof2boys
05-01-2004, 10:49 PM
DH is 6'5" and I was wondering about this topic -- thanks for the info smile.gif