PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Lagoon

holiday
05-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Is anyone else intimidated by the wave pool. My 8-year-old daughter wants to go back there, but last year, I was a nervous wreck with the bodies crashing into each other.

TCLites
05-10-2002, 01:00 PM
We love the wave pool and have been many times. In 1996 we took several neices with us on a trip. My, then 8 years old, neice Sarah, loved the wave pool. She screamed and climbed on me everytime the wave came (I about got drown) and then couldn't wait for the next wave. We spent the whole time during the big waves in the wave pool. Even if we were waiting in line for a water slide, she wanted to go back as soon as the big waves started again. While the pool is very crowded, I've never seen anyone hurt. I have been bumped and have bumped others, but never seen an injury. Water, in this situation, is pretty forgiving. I say go for it. The wave pool at TP is the first thing Sarah talks about (still) when WDW comes up.

ll MaJiK ll
05-11-2002, 01:34 AM
I love when people scream when the wave pool makes the ::PHOOM:: noise. I sit there in awe. graemlins/doubleeek.gif

STeVo
graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Fantasia
05-14-2002, 05:43 PM
The closer you are to the beach the waves will knock you down. But the closer in you just kinda float up and down. Maybe knock into a person or two. No big deal. I had a hard time convincing my DH of this. Finally I got him out there and he was surprised. He couldn't believe the diffence.

michaelandmommylovedisney
05-14-2002, 08:56 PM
I did not like the wave pool too much. It was really neat but it was very crowded the day we were there. DH and I kept landing on EVERYONE and EVERYONE kept landing on us. We only stayed in the wave pool for about 20 minutes before we decided it was not safe for us. As for an 8yr old I would have to say if he/she is a strong swimmer than have them try it. graemlins/mickey.gif

The Joker
05-15-2002, 08:03 AM
A couple of years ago my wife established a world-record losing-and-finding-a-contactlens in The Big Wave: she was standing chest-deep when the wave flushed a lens... after a short moment of panic she looked around (one-eyed :D ) and then found it floating... It took her a while to realize that this was very special....

Jillpie
05-15-2002, 10:12 AM
I was very intimidated by the wave. Now if you know me by my trip reports, I can't get enough of slides and such, I love the water. But something about the wave and the cement floor... graemlins/nono.gif , not a good mix. I kept thinking I was going to hit it real hard, not to mention knocking into everyone else, just didn't like it at all.

RoosMomKanga
05-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Just got back Monday graemlins/crying.gif ! My 6 year old (and the 11 and 14 year olds) loved it :D ! Get a life vest at the locker/towel barn (free) for the 8-year-old and go for it. We bumped others some, but the only scrapes we got were way in towards the shore- as someone else said, if it's too shallow you'll hit bottom and the waves are worse. The bottom is VERY rough- painted with a very sandy paint. Go out further!

Disneyjim
05-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Try in the center of the beach area in front the island. There is a "sand" bar there where I've seen a lot of small children play. If all else fails ....the lazy river rafts RULE!!

Have4Boys
05-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Ditto what Kanga said! I got creamed trying to SIT near the edge with my 6-year-old and the concrete is VERY rough!! Get life vests for the little ones and head out farther. There is only one big wave at a time (with a break between each one) to regroup. We loved it!!! My eight-year-old would swim up to the line (where life vests cannot cross) and see how far the wave would push him in. It's incredibly far!! We never rammed anyone because everyone is flowing in the same direction. It was awesome! The older kids spent over an hour doing this! Try it once and see what happens... Enjoy!!

Claytonia
06-01-2002, 02:47 PM
I think the "bark" of the waves is worse than the "bite." ;) They look huge and intimidating, but really, as long as you're a strong swimmer, you'll be just fine. I didn't bump into anybody, but the crowds were very moderate. Later on in the summer, it might be different.

EmisDisneyMom
06-02-2002, 12:25 PM
Whe we were there last year I took my daughter to the left of the wave pool (if you are looking at the ship). There is a small bit of a curve there. Although the wave still come there it does not seem quite at strong. I made sure she was no deeper than her knees before the waves started. When they finally did I would stand with my back to the wave and hold her hands while she stood facing me. The wave would crash the back of my legs and sweep her off her feet but I had her hands so it was like whe was hanging. She loved it and I felt a bit more comfortable.

talent
06-03-2002, 04:51 PM
I do have a thumbs up with the wave. I usually don't stay in it real long because it usually is very crowded when I am there. I also agree that I have nvere seen anyone get hurt. Yes, sometimes I have seen people bump into eachother but usually see only laughter when that happens. smile.gif