PDA

View Full Version : which park in torrential rain?

Pat's Dragon
02-12-2004, 08:04 AM
I'm sitting at work looking out the window at a big thunder storm and that reminds me of the worst day at disney ever (at mgm. )It was Christmas a few years back and we were determined to see the Osborne lights but it was rainy and very cold. MGM has absolutely NO places to go in the rain. With very few attractions to begin with there was no place to go and sit. We ended up going to the Brew works at boardwalk. We went to epcot one time in a hurricane and it was actually fun. The park didn't open until noon and even with wind and blowing rain there are tons of places to go. Animal park is a bad choice for the rain because it is so small. We were soaked last year during the summer even with ponchos and lightning seems scarier and closer there. Anyone else have an opinion?

EmisDisneyMom
02-12-2004, 08:37 AM
We head to Epcot if it an option. You have to wak a bit more form attraction to attraction but just about everything you do in Future World is indoors. There are a lot of things to do inside each building too. In Wold Showcase you can walk from shop to shop to show and stay pretty dry. One time we headed to Disney Quest.....BIG mistake!!! Everyone else had the same idea. It was so crowded we left after 30 minutes.

TiggerRPh
02-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Epcot it the best place during a rain storm...essentially all the attractions/shows are indoors. With the pavilions being closer together than the buildings of Future World, World Showcase would be preferable.

MauiMouse
02-12-2004, 10:55 AM
We were at Magic Kingdom in the rain, and got soaked even with a poncho. We watched the parade from Main Street USA, then headed out with the masses back to the car. One thing that I noticed is that the characters were having a lot of fun in the rain splashing and carrying on. smile.gif

MalteseFalcon
02-12-2004, 11:45 AM
I love being in the park when it's raining. Just throw on one of the (overpriced) Mickey ponchos and go get wet. Many of the lines disappear when people go scurrying out of the parks. I remember a great experience watching the Tapestry of Nations parade (that's what it was called, right?) in Epcot, they performed the entire parade in a steady rain. We just sat there in ponchos for the whole thing, receiving an unusual amount of attention from the parade participants because there were so few people spectating.

I also recall being in MGM when some sort of freak monster-storm hit. They cancelled the Hunchback show half-way through and we went running down the main street in ankle-deep flash flooding water. Fun!

It also rained on us during our first trip to Disneyland recently. You'd think the Californians had never seen rain before, the way they were all huddled under any shelter they could find! We didn't even bother with the ponchos, just got wet and walked on to every ride we could find. (Though DL's attractions and line queues go outside quite a bit more than WDW, so we got real wet butts on rides like Winnie the Pooh.) tongue.gif

Gator
02-12-2004, 12:46 PM
When it comes to rain, or anything else bad like big crowds are bad heat, I'll always say it's best to head to Epcot. It is so relaxing whether you're indoors at the pavilions or outside at the world showcase. When you feel your vacation has been go go go, then Epcot is your place.

missmickey99
02-12-2004, 01:00 PM
I totally agree with EPCOT during rainy weather...just don't go on Test Track! My DH and I made this mistake (figuring if the weather was bad enough they would just shut the ride down as usual) but our car got stuck outside on the incline loop! We were stuck there for at least 5 minutes in the pouring rain, and by the time we got in (which was a very SLOW process) we were drenched. On a positive note, there was a CM waiting for us when we got off, and she gave us both vouchers for a free shirt at any store in EPCOT. Don't know if I'd risk the rain for another free shirt...but then again, I did pick a nice one! :D

dbm20th
02-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Last month I was in a downpour at EPCOT and parked my butt at the Rose & Crown. It was the best thing I could have done. We had a great time.

ianglover
02-12-2004, 01:10 PM
We've been lucky enough to only have one day of torrential rain whilst at disney, and we headed for MGM. Bought a poncho, wore shorts and just 'did' the park. Unbelievably we had loads of fun and lines were short! Yes we got wet but hey, it was fun!

Crazy as it sounds, when it comes to Disney i can put up with anything!! graemlins/crazy.gif

Jonas_Swe
02-12-2004, 02:08 PM
We are from Norway, and I truly think that no weather could knock us of the Disney bounce! :D

Because no matter what weather you'll get in Florida... It will always be just as warm or warmer than any summer day in Scandinavia! :rolleyes: tongue.gif :cool:

Yes, even in the winter season.... ;)

valjane
02-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by missmickey99:
On a positive note, there was a CM waiting for us when we got off, and she gave us both vouchers for a free shirt at any store in EPCOT. Don't know if I'd risk the rain for another free shirt...but then again, I did pick a nice one! :D That's awesome!!! I'd totally get stuck in teh rain for a free shirt-- especially since they're not cheap there! :D

*Liz*
02-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Another vote for Epcot! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

disneynarula
02-12-2004, 04:07 PM
I also agree that Epcot is the best park for the rain. I especially enjoy spending time in "The Land" or "Wonders of Life."

PinKy
02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Just putting in my $.02 here - last year it seemed like it rained for most of our trip in June and we got the ponchos and just did what we normally would've done anyway.

A couple of notes though: Yes, you will probably get the most wet at Animal Kingdom....BUT if you do venture out - it is really neat to watch how the animals hide out under their shelters and who knows what you might see?? We made friends with a really super-big tortoise.

Also - people watching at Animal Kingdom in the rain is a hoot!

But yes, my overall vote would be for Epcot! B/c they have the best indoor rides that last longer...

DicksonGR
02-12-2004, 04:45 PM
You all can slap me for being silly here graemlins/laughing.gif , but I like Animal Kingdom the best when it rains. It feels like you're in a rainforest with all those trees and long paths ... It just feels unique! :cool:

May the slapping commence .... graemlins/rotfl.gif

Beast25
02-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Epcot....definitely.

It happened to us and we actually found eating in the Chef de France (sp?) was kind of romantic in a heavy rain. Tons of rides in the park too (all indoors)

Jennifer_and_Chris
02-12-2004, 04:55 PM
As long as I'm in WDW, I don't care where I get caught in the rain....

Singin' in the rain.... I'd still be singing in the rain!!!!

AndrewJackson
02-12-2004, 05:05 PM
We were at Epcot in mid June of 2002 when it poured all day long. We loved it. We still got wet, but there was plenty of opportunities to get out of the rain, and absolutely no wait anywhere.

Jace Heiden
02-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Epcot-relax and grab a bite somewhere,or run from pavilion to pavilion and country to country and continue on! But hey,i would pick epcot in ANY kind of weather! ;)

BelleCiavo
02-12-2004, 09:00 PM
EPCOT riding Ellen's Energy Adventure which is 45 min. long! :D

Karen

testtrackrocks
02-13-2004, 06:56 AM
i LOVE the rain. I dont know why, i just do. My favorite memories of the rain at wdw was one time we came out of IASM and it was POURING, we stepped out and the rain was freeeeeeeeeezing. But we didnt care and there was almost no one walking around so we ran out and were running around in fantasyland with the extremely cold rain til we got to liberty square.

Another good time was in epcot. Even though we were waiting for test track and it was closed due to the rain, we had to get back to where my mom was, I believe at the land, so we just ran thru epcot, people were looking at us from under overhangs and such like we were crazy. but it was great.

And the worst rain experience. At MGM our last trip, we at the fantasmic dinner package with the hollywood and vine. I dont remember at what point it started to rain, but it did, BOYYYYYYY IT DID. We were walking, and the thunder seemed to get louder, and the lighting was more violent. At one point it was so bad we made a sprint for the restaurant, I dont know how its possible, but we were told that lightning struck like 5-10 feet away from my brother and I. Scary stuff. :eek:

But overall, the only thing bettr than a nice sunny day at the parks is a nice rainy crowd-clearin hour. :D

:::::POSSIBLY THE FOURTH OF JULY?!?!?!?!?!?!:::::

graemlins/tiki.gif graemlins/mickey.gif MANNN I LOVE THAT PLACE graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/tiki.gif

Tigerlilly
02-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Wow, My experience in the pouring rain at Epcot was so dramatically different I just had to post. We were there late August last year and a huge storm rolled in. We were at Epcot and the place just Shut down. Resturants, vendors and shows just closed up shop, several rides quit working. There was NOTHING to do, nowhere to go to get otu of the rain because it was so packed. We tried to hit the AI show at the American pavilion but were turned away twice. The CM told us they were way over capacity. It was miserable and a total waste of the pass and the day. We tried to watch the O Canada movie but the AC was turned down so low that all of us soaked to the bone people began to freeze. So we just left.

Tiggerlovr9000
02-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by missmickey99:
I totally agree with EPCOT during rainy weather...just don't go on Test Track! My DH and I made this mistake (figuring if the weather was bad enough they would just shut the ride down as usual) but our car got stuck outside on the incline loop! We were stuck there for at least 5 minutes in the pouring rain, and by the time we got in (which was a very SLOW process) we were drenched. On a positive note, there was a CM waiting for us when we got off, and she gave us both vouchers for a free shirt at any store in EPCOT. Don't know if I'd risk the rain for another free shirt...but then again, I did pick a nice one! :D I would, those shirts are expensive. Always loved playing in the rain as a child, guess I haven't grown up. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ February 13, 2004, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Tiggerlovr9000 ]

Jonas_Swe
02-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Since most of the visitors seems to head for Epcot... I'll have MK allmost to myself! graemlins/mickey.gif ;) graemlins/laughing.gif

[ February 13, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Jonas_Swe ]

lotsofthumbsup
02-28-2004, 11:50 AM
i actually like it when it rains at disney world.
it makes the parks ALOT less crowded.
i went back in june and it rained nearly the whole time. but let me tell you, im really glad it rained because in june it can get pretty hot and the the rain helped things cool (and also emliminated having to stand in long lines with hot sweaty people graemlins/ack.gif )
on the day it rained the most we went to epcot and did the world showcase which turned out to be a good plan of attack. but all of the parks we're too bad in the rain, as long as we had our ponchos graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jared
02-28-2004, 12:14 PM
I totally agree with Ray. I always say that Epcot, especially Future World, is the best place to go in rain. Because most of the attractions are situated in larger, indoor pavilions, you can do a few things in a row without ever having to go outside. smile.gif

CtrlAltDel
02-28-2004, 01:05 PM
I wouldnt want to be at AK on a rainy day
MGM isnt too bad
Epcot and MK are probably about equal I wouldnt hesitate to go to either in the pouring rain

LorrieP
02-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer_and_Chris:
As long as I'm in WDW, I don't care where I get caught in the rain....

Singin' in the rain.... I'd still be singing in the rain!!!! I totally agree!!

We had a commercial running on one of our local TV stations right after our last trip to WDW. It used that song and everytime I saw it I thought about being caught at Epcot in a downpour!! graemlins/mickey.gif

Kathie_WE
02-28-2004, 05:46 PM
No question about it... EPCOT!

However, that won't be an issue as I've already consulted the rain gods and they promise to behave while we are there this September....
:D

CHEERS!

Kathie

April
03-01-2004, 10:13 AM
graemlins/mickey.gif Rain...oh this reminds me of a good story of when I was there. I was there on a school trip which had at least 80 students! We were on our last day there which we were spending at MGM! WE were all tired and the rain began to pour down. WE managed most of the day but by 4:30 or so everyone was complaining everyone just wanting to get on the bus and head home (which was 18 hours away). It was terrible because everyone was soaked and grumpy..not a good way to start home! MGM was very good for the rain, although I didnt' mind the rain but there was no place really to go. 80 grumpy high schoolers isn't very fun!!!!!!!! graemlins/shakehead.gif

eel
03-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Don't forget Disney Quest.

shadowden
03-01-2004, 12:47 PM
I've never done Epcot in the rain, but I can understand why so many have said it. I personally don't mind the rain. It is kind of fun since the crowds seem to disappear with water (like the Witch of the West, LOL).

At any rate, I've done MGM and Magic Kingdom in the rain, and I had a blast. But how could you not, right?! smile.gif

mrp4352
03-01-2004, 02:02 PM
One of my favorite memories is waiting for Fantasmic with my best friend, praying and hoping it will hold off just long enough for us to see Mickey save the world. Well, about 10 minutes before the show, here come the managers with rain panchos for all the souvineer sellers to sell... I ran down and bought one "for the walk out" since it was going to hold off, but lo-and-behold, 2 minutes 'til 9 the skies absolutely split! We sat watching the crowd stream out, both of us huddled under the one pancho waiting, "Maybe the rain won't be too bad and they won't cancel" but promptly at 9, the bad news was given. No show for the safety of the actors - definitely understandable.

We waited another 5 minutes or so to let the crowd get gone, then headed out - both of us still under the one pancho - we looked like one of those really bad two-person horse costumes! We were both really tired, and got giggly over how we looked. graemlins/blush.gif Anyway, I know it sounds stupid, but it really was one of the best times I've had at the park - just being there with my best friend, being silly, and letting Disney work it's magic.

Tekneek
03-02-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by EmisDisneyMom:
One time we headed to Disney Quest.....BIG mistake!!! Everyone else had the same idea.When we checked in on our last trip, it was raining pretty hard at the time. The CMs at the hotel told my wife we should go to Disney Quest since it was raining. I told her no way, that Fantasyland at MK is mostly indoors and the crowds would probably be elsewhere. Sure enough, we got there and it was super quick and easy to get my son through his favorite attractions. Anyway, I presume that is why DQ gets packed in the rain...because the CMs push it during those times.

DisneyErin
03-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Definately go to Epcot during rainy or stormy weather.. We got stuck last year at Animal Kingdom in something that could be compared to a hurricane and it was a nightmare, there was nowhere to go. At Epcot you can stay under cover the majority of the time and run from building to building easily.

TheMartellFamily
03-02-2004, 02:22 PM
one place i would suggest is were not to be is the liberty belle steamboat during torentail (sp?)rainstorm where it is falling sideways. no place to go. I can tell you from experience just don't be there. we were there last june and we found ourselves going to the movie theater and watch finding nemo at AMC west side at Downtown Disney. EPCOT is good too

dizneegirl
03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
I vote for EPCOT. There is so many more indoor activities versus the other parks.