PDA

View Full Version : Weight Restrictions for Rides???

carolc
09-05-2003, 08:16 PM
Hi!

Could you point me in the right direction to get weight restrictions for rides if there are any? Also, if you have any archived posts from guests who had any trouble due to their large size on any rides?

Thank you so much for your help!

Carol

Gotta Love the TTA
09-05-2003, 08:44 PM
The only weight restrictions I know of are for horse riding at Ft. Wilderness (I think it is 200 lbs.) and probably the water mice (not sure of that one)

Stand by and someone else will be along with more information.

Deb's site has a section called "WDW at Large" that may be helpful.

Zakerdog
09-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Horseback Riding is 250 lbs. & the water boats is 350lbs. I have never heard of any other restrictions for rides.

graemlins/mickey.gif

benny_huddy
09-05-2003, 09:41 PM
disney builds there rides strong so they should be able to handle just about anyone. actually, being larger is better for roller coasters because it gets the ride going faster.

Jared
09-05-2003, 11:08 PM
The attractions in the theme parks have no weight restrictions. I've never seen anyone too large to fit in an attraction. Don't worry. smile.gif

carolc
09-05-2003, 11:22 PM
I guess what I'm really worried about is how safe will I be? What started this was something I read online about a women on a flume ride who was large and was thrown from the ride as it went down it's largest dip. Some are speculating that, because of the shifting nature of fat (as opposed to the stability of muscle), her restraints shifted so much that they no longer secured her as recommended.

Tell me I'm worried for nothing... graemlins/blush.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: carolc ]

winky
09-05-2003, 11:30 PM
That happened at Knotts Berry Farm in Southern California. The drop on that ride literally looks like a 90degree angle! None of the rides at WDW are so extreme that it should be a concern. Have a great time!

MissMaryPoppins
09-05-2003, 11:30 PM
actually, being larger is better for roller coasters because it gets the ride going faster.

While waiting on line for Splash Mountain there was a very large man getting on the ride and the man behind me said to his kids "Now those people are going to get really wet." It was funny because he the tone of his voice wasn't mean or sarcastic. It was almost as if he was explaining something to his kids. I don't know.

I've only read about weight rescritions for the boats and horseback riding. Good question!

Joy

Jennib
09-06-2003, 12:02 AM
I don't believe there are any weight restrictions but there are rides that are a tighter fit such as Space mountain where I have seen larger people having trouble getting out. That also goes for tall people, it just seems like a harder ride to get out of. Luckily I am only 5'2 so I just make the height requirement!! haha

CaptSmee
09-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Disney_nut:
The attractions in the theme parks have no weight restrictions. I've never seen anyone too large to fit in an attraction. Don't worry. smile.gif I was too big to fit in CyberSpace Mountain at DisneyQuest. Also, I have a heck of a time getting into the logs of Splash Mountain (my legs are too long), I have to cram myself in.

[ September 06, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: CaptSmee ]

pearlieq
09-07-2003, 10:35 PM
As I large person, I've never felt unsafe on any of the WDW theme park rides. That being said, there are a couple of things you should keep in mind.

1.) Some rides have lap bars that, as you would expect, lock when they hit YOUR lap, not your companions. This became somewhat of an issue when I went with my 12 year old goddaughter. She got quite a bit of "air" on ToT and slid around more than I would have liked on BTMRR. I'm sure she was perfectly safe, but if you have a choice you may want to try to pair up with other adults/larger people for these rides.

2.) I got kind of nervous on some of the water slides at the water parks. Obviously heavier objects pick up more speed on the way down the slide, and I found myself creeping WAY too high up on the sides for my liking. You may want to talk to some CMs and use your judgement at the water parks. The slides at the resort pools weren't a problem as I would always go down the slides sitting up so I didn't gain too much speed.

Have fun and feel assured that you will have no problem "fitting in" at WDW.

tiggerificmom
09-08-2003, 10:03 PM
graemlins/blush.gif I had a bit of a squeeze trying to go through the Pirates of the Carribean turnstile. I had to turn sideways and tip toe through to get in. This was about two years ago. Does anyone know if this is still true or have they finally widened that particular spot?

tiggerificmom
09-08-2003, 10:04 PM
graemlins/blush.gif I had a bit of a squeeze trying to go through the Pirates of the Carribean turnstile. I had to turn sideways and tip toe through to get in. This was about two years ago. Does anyone know if this is still true or have they finally widened that particular spot?

CaptSmee
09-08-2003, 10:11 PM
It's a tight squeeze at POC, but i'm a big guy, and I can squeeze through there.

imported_PolyGirl40
09-08-2003, 10:29 PM
There are size limitations on Mission: Space. I believe Mufasa said 300 lbs. However, it says; "certain body shapes or sizes". The ride warning is listed in info central.

Ride Restrictions (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp)

pearlieq
09-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I have to do the "turn sideways and tiptoe" on the Pirates turnstile too. :rolleyes:

I wish they'd do something about that. You could go through the handicap gate, but usually I just kind of close my eyes and think of England--somehow I always wind up on the other side.

imported_PolyGirl40
09-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by carolc:
Also, if you have any archived posts from guests who had any trouble due to their large size on any rides?

Oops. I forgot. graemlins/blush.gif Yes there is a topic on this subject in the archives.

Rides for overweight individual ? (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000069)

goofball
09-09-2003, 02:53 PM
I went to Disney World a few years ago with a friend of mine who was about 400 Lbs and he had no trouble getting on any of the rides. We went on SM, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion and Pirates all with no trouble at all. You should be fine. ;) graemlins/mickey.gif

kytten_kat
09-10-2003, 09:14 AM
I am 5'2 and weigh 330 ... will this be a problem with the rides at magic kingdom ... I am going with my neices and nephews as well as my sister and her husband and our parents ... I am wondering if I will be able to enjoy the rides

Calla212
09-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Kytten Kat I sent you an e-mail.

Hope you have a great trip! graemlins/clappy.gif

Taja
09-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Check out Deb Wills website for ride vehicle photos and first-hand reports. I'm heavier than I would like, but don't usually have problems with anything. However, I was nursing a leg and foot injury on our August trip, and having some knowledge of the ride vehicles in advance helped me avoid holding up the queue unnecessarily because of physical limiitations.

I agree with the lap bar information, though. My friend and I are about the same weight, but carry it in different places (she has more upper body weight and I have more lower body weight), and she slid around a bit on BTMRR. If you're travelling with a group, have them sit in different sections based on similar body size on the faster rides.

Taja smile.gif

dznyntnh
09-11-2003, 02:51 PM
One of the reasons I love Disney World so much is that I've never had a problem with any of the rides in any of the parks.

The only thing I was not able to ride was the 'Cyber Space Mountain' or whatever the roller coaster thing is at DisneyQuest, and since I designed the coaster and made my coaster phobic friend ride it while I watched it was still fun. graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/silly.gif

Now Universal, on the other hand, should be sued under the ADA. If you are even the slightest bit heavy you can't fit in any of the roller coasters and they do not warn you about this until AFTER they have your money :mad: , did they think I was in that dull place just to sight see? :rolleyes: This is the ONLY park that I have ever had a problem with the roller coasters and it so disgusted me that I will not return there.

I'll go to WDW where they know how to treat ALL their guests. graemlins/thumbsup.gif