PDA

View Full Version : Singing in th rain

DisneyKWP
01-31-2003, 01:15 PM
I recall a pole with an umbrella that you could stand on and rain would fall around you not on you. Where was that and is it gone?

disneyfreakgirl
01-31-2003, 01:23 PM
It's in MGM studios towards the back of the movie lot at the end of the street. It was still there last February but I couldn't get it to work :confused: Better luck next time!

Jared
01-31-2003, 03:54 PM
As far as I know, that pole is still working. At least, it's supposed to be working. It's on New York Street if I'm not mistaken. smile.gif

Altair
01-31-2003, 05:20 PM
I went to where I thought it was last November and couldn't find it. Could have missed it though. Maybe they'll put a meet and greet there. tongue.gif

2PrincessesMom
01-31-2003, 05:50 PM
We found it in August and it worked. My DD6 got a real kick out of it. I'm not sure of what street it is on but ask a CM and I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. That's how we found it.

joelkfla
01-31-2003, 06:13 PM
It was working last month, too.

I'm not sure how it works, but I think you have to stand directly under the umbrella AND hold the handle.

Go to the end of NY Street, turn left, and it will be on your left, at the corner of the Chinatown/London street.

Monki
01-31-2003, 11:49 PM
There is a little pad underneath the umbrella that is pressure sensitive and it sets off the water when someone stands (jumps) on it.

Also, did you guys know about the guy in the hole near Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular?

He is in a hole and there is a rope you can pull, and when you pull the rope he yells at you!

It is across from the stroller parking for Epic.

Check it out!

-Monki

otlady1966
02-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info (I just recently came across this post). We leave for Disney in 15 days and plan to check both the umbrella and man in the hole out! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Munch
02-03-2003, 03:20 PM
I recall a couple of 'watery surprises' at the Studios. I think water squirted out of a firetruck or something, and then there was a bottlecap that misted you. DN had to hit them all several times - I think he spent most of our visit to WDW soaked - between getting squirted, sprayed and misted at the Studios, and then that sidwalk area at Epcot. I love watching the little ones play there.

jefmblrd
02-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Little touches like those are part of what makes Disney great. That's why it's important to slow down a bit while in the parks and really enjoy your surroundings. You tend to miss these types of touches when you're rushing everywhere. New York street in MGM is a great place to do just that.

Disney-4-Me
02-06-2003, 01:30 PM
I love these little things that add the magical touches to a Disney vacation. My boys usually rush through to get to their favorite attractions. This summer I am determined to set a slower pace. They love it when we spot the hidden Mickeys so I know they will enjoy the other small touches. Wish me luck!

imported_Melanears
02-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Speaking of watery surprises at MGM.....be aware of vendors too! My MIL and I were waiting for DH and my sons on a bench outside of Pizza Planet right in front of the Muppets, and there was a vendor there (can't remember what she was selling)with a squirt bottle. She was getting everyone as they walked by and it was hilarious. graemlins/laughing.gif No one could figure out where it was coming from. I could have sit there all day watching that! So beware!!! :D

Illuminations25
02-08-2003, 04:27 AM
"Singin' In The Rain" was working back in December, however, the excavation site at the Indy Stunt Spectacular wasn't. :(

People must have thought I was nuts standing there for about 3 minutes pulling the rope waiting to hear the voice. I had done it before and I knew that if someone had recently pulled the rope that it takes some time for the gag to "reset."

andrew kyte
02-08-2003, 06:05 AM
we had the same done to us when we were at mgm.
watching the beuty and the beast show. there was a old man ushering people about to there seats and every now and then he would get out his water pistol and squirt people on the back of there neck, and when they looked around he would do the same. he had a women believing it was from a bird above. the crowd was in stiches it was the most funniest thing i have ever seen i was cring my eyes out.

i have a photo of me in paris under the umbrella with it raining but i do not now how to paste a picture to this site to show it. this is one of my most happiest times that i have of me at disney.

andy. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mickey23
02-08-2003, 01:21 PM
The past two times I was there it was not working. I thought it was just for decoration - no water. Glad to hear it is up and running.

shoequeen
02-10-2003, 03:59 PM
I just got back from WDW and took a pic of my dad (66) standing under the umbrella. I said "dad, you look like Gene Kelley" and some kid walking by said to his parents "Who's gene Kelley?" It is an awesome picture!! graemlins/laughing.gif

Cigar Rex
02-10-2003, 04:26 PM
I love this little attraction. I am going in May and I really hope its working so I can get some pictures. I have seen the Indy thing as well and most people walk right by it.