PDA

View Full Version : Lost Kids

RevFlinty
05-11-2002, 12:06 PM
We have concerns about keeping track of our DS who is a very busy Kindergartner and is prone to runnign off by himself. We were going to make ID tags for both our boys but now are wondering about the wisdom of putting too much information on them and what problems that could cause. Has anyone had an experience with losing a child at WDW? What precautions do you take with your little ones?

TiggerRPh
05-11-2002, 06:00 PM
I would not use ID tags or anything with your child's name on it. It is not a good idea to have your child's name on anything that they are wearing or carrying because child abducters (not that they are running rampant at WDW) will often call the child by their name.

WDW CM's are especially good at noticing "lost" children or children that have run off from Mom/Dad.

I would suggest a stroller.

[ May 11, 2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: TiggerRPh ]

ShelbyAD
05-11-2002, 06:22 PM
What if your children are 7 and 9 and are too big for a stroller? If my children get separated from us (due to large crowd and our hands getting knocked away from each other) what should we do?

delarosa
05-11-2002, 06:35 PM
The best thing you can do is introduce your child to a cast member as soon as you get to the park. Tell them if they get separated from you, they are to look for a person who is wearing a nametag like this person's. Tell them not to go off looking for you on their own because these nametag folks have super lost-Mom powers and they can find you easier than a child can. (I swear they really do.)

Now lost Moms and lost Dads should do something very complicated first. Are you ready for this? Ok here is the first step: FREEZE! smile.gif Seriously. Stop where you are and look around you. Does it really matter if you get trampled if your child is amiss? If you don't see them from where you are, do what you told your child to do--find a CM. They will drop whatever they are doing to help, I promise. It's also helpful to remember what your child is wearing that day.

Before your first trip to any park, take a minute to pick out an "if we get separated" meeting spot in that park. Don't make it the landmark! (ie the castle, etc) Be specific. At MK, you might pick the flagpole in Town Square at the entrance end of Main Street. Your child doesn't have to know how to get there, just be able to tell a CM what the spot is. They will get them there.

Don't worry too much, but take good precautions. The CMs are great at finding lost Moms and Dads. Not one has been permanently lost yet! :D

Credo96
05-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Want to hear a funny story? Well its funny now but not then.

I lost my DS at AK when he was, I think 6. I had always told him the #1 Rule, ALWAYS STAY WITH YOUR PARENTS, and he knew it by heart. Well he was going to go with me to get a soda and then changed his mind and said he would go with my then DW. I said ok turned my back and saw him run toward my DW. Stupid me, I assumed he was going straight to her and it was only 20 feet or so. I turned my back and went a got my soda. I came back 20 minutes later to see my DW without my DS. We did the "I thought he was with you" look and my wife took off yelling his name. I stayed went and stayed right where I left him. 10 minutes later I see a college kid with one wet DS on his shoulders yelling "There's my dad.
Needless to say I was greatful. My son got sidetracked by the fountains and took a some time to cool off. My DW returned with a CM and the CM said "whats the #1 rule?" My son said "Stay with your parents" The CM pointed out her badge and said to my son if he should get lost he should look for a CM.
My son went on to say that he was not lost at all as it was his parents who were missing.

Rule #2 "Parents stay with your kids its easier"

[ May 11, 2002, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Credo96 ]

Main Street Jim
05-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Yes....all are very good ideas so far. The ID tag could be too much info as stated. Definitely introduce them to us once you get inside a park. At Magic Kingdom, "Lost Children" are normally reported first to City Hall, then over to "Lost Children" at Baby Care/First Aid. Usually at the other parks, it's also at First Aid, but I would check with Guest Relations just to be sure.

Definitely state a specific meeting place *just in case*, or have him let a CM know where's he s'posed to meet his parents. *MOST* of us are very helpful and can spot a lost kid from a mile away smile.gif

michaelandmommylovedisney
05-11-2002, 09:13 PM
My BIGGEST fear is losing my DS in DW. That is my biggest fear because he is only 22 months old and if he ever got seperated from us, he would not be able to tell anyone anything really. Just maybe cry and yell Mommy and Daddy. I am VERY cautious whenever we go anywhere. But in DW just cause of the crowds that really worries me. Does anyone have any advice???? graemlins/mickey.gif

GrandFlo
05-11-2002, 10:10 PM
I have seen many a lost child at the MK. I just want to applaud the cast members for spotting and calming down the child until the parents are found.

Also, a little off topic but....now that my DS is older, I no longer bring my own stroller. I have noticed that with the rented stroller, it was easy for my DS to jump right out without me knowing it half the time. I've got to the point where I always leave the flap tied back so I can keep my eyes on him.

Disneycrazed
05-12-2002, 09:05 AM
Here's a tip for those staying on Disney property.

When you check in request a child id card. They will print out a card just like the room card but will not have charge privileges on it. You can also request to have this card activated to open the hotel room. We had this option activated for my older child but not my youngest.

The id card will have the name of the parent on it along with the id# which any cm will be able to use to track down your hotel. We also put our cell #'s on the strip in the back where you would sign your name.

You take this card and put it on a lanyard (we had the complimentary American Express ones) and we told our kids that if they should get lost to go to a cm and show them the id card and call us on the cell.

Thank God we didn't have to test this but we felt more secure knowing we had this in case we needed it. graemlins/mickey.gif

miasmom
05-12-2002, 09:48 AM
I've seen parents print their cell phone numbers on the child's hand (non washable ink).

Katmegali
05-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Losing your child can be the scariest thing!! We lost our 5 year old at AK. My dh said he let her play hopscotch and turned away and then looked back. It was packed that day too. I was in tears and all the cm who we asked was to say she didn't have a radio and to ask another cm who said she didn't know .. to try looking for her ourselves..what did she think we were doing??. :rolleyes: graemlins/shakehead.gif DH had stayed put while I looked around (in case she came back. Thank Goodnes I found her about 30 feet away and would have seen her earlier if not for the crowds. She was standing on a bridge talking to a family like they were her own.
I did see some people with those hand straps on their kids, some of who were at least 6 or 7. We had did have a pic taken of her that day with a polaroid.

hyphen
05-12-2002, 02:54 PM
We have been to Disney several times when our children were younger. We got our youngest a body harness when she was 2 and used it up until she was 4. She is a very independent cuss and didn't want to hold my hand all the time. This way she could walk a few steps ahead of me but I knew where she was at all times. When she got tired, she would hop in the stroller. We found it to be a great help to us and her. graemlins/clappy.gif Plus, with the body harness, I wasn't jerking on her arm all of the time, I was just able to stop her forward movement.

imported_PolyGirl40
05-13-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Disneycrazed:

When you check in request a child id card. That's exactly what we do. Then we tuck the card in his pocket. smile.gif I've even seen parents do this with a business card.

MNNHFLTX
05-14-2002, 05:15 AM
When my son was very little we would print our names (the parents) on a small name badge sticker and adhere it to the back inside of his shirt (by the clothing tag) where it was accessible, but the general public couldn't see it.

CinderellyCinderelly
05-14-2002, 01:30 PM
I remember someone awhile ago posted something about taking a picture of the family and then writing names and information on the back ( like what hotel they are staying at etc.) and then having the child keep it in a fanny pack. I don't remember the exact details. But I think it was something along those lines.

wendy*darling
05-14-2002, 02:37 PM
#1 Make sure your children know who the CMs are. They have WHITE name tags- ONLY WHITE. Poeple with all the other colors of name badges are regular people who have purchased them- only CMs have the white tags.

#2- I do recommend putting an ID somewhere on your child. Not visible to the public, but inside their shoe is a good place. I have purchased name tags made especially for shoes. You write the name, etc and stick it in the heel. It is covered with a clear plastic sticker so it does't get smudged.
I have also seen wrist bands that you write name, resort, cell #, etc. on- but the info is turned inside- to the wrist and can't be seen casually.
For older kids, the resort key and your cell phone # is great.

#3- If you do get seperated, I will reiterate- FREEZE!!! Stay in place and really LOOK 360 degrees around. Often they haven't really gone very far, just a few feet towards something of intense interest at that time!

Most of all, HANG ON TO THEM AT ALL TIMES! As you already know, they are quick and spontaneous. And there are so many fascinating things to see and do, that they can be gone in a flash if you turn your back.

Sam Pinizzotto
05-14-2002, 04:17 PM
My parents always taught us that if we get lost to stop and stay where you are. They vowed to back track and find us.

If your kids are old enough to use those two-way radios, they are good if you get separated.

For little ones...I agree with the above and have some form of ID card. But make sure the child knows that if they get lost, find a CM and show them the ID Card.

If you are using the 2-way radios, put your frequency on the ID Card. A CM will be able to have you called or located.

stedim
05-24-2002, 03:09 PM
We are leaving in about 12 days. All these tips have been really helpful. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Patricia
05-24-2002, 03:55 PM
My son started wearing a whistle at age three, when we were skiing (incase you fall in a tree well, you'd never be heard). Now I put it on him in crowded places. If he realizes he's not with me he FREEZES and blows the whistle. It's easier for me to remember where I just came from, so I backtrack and find him.

I also like the room ID card/cell phone idea and now that he's 10 and I have a cell phone, we'll be doing that next trip. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

RevFlinty
05-25-2002, 11:21 AM
Love all these ideas. We're going to do the resort ID card (already have lanyards for pins so that should work out good.)
You guys are good!!! graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif

CuteAsMinnie
05-25-2002, 03:51 PM
A police officer once told us to put colored socks on your kids! No white ones. And, remember what color/kind of shoes they have. You wouldn't believe the number of ways this comes in handy.

2PrincessesMom
05-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Patricia I love the whistle idea. graemlins/notworthy.gif I'm going to put one in my DD5 fanny pack for our August trip. graemlins/clappy.gif

Freetime
05-27-2002, 03:34 AM
I read a post or article a while back with a great idea. I have listed this before.. but here goes again...

Take a polaroid camera with you for your room. Each day, just before you go to the parks. Take a picture of your kids. Parents don't remember what their kids were wearing in their moment of panic. They will have a picture to give of what they were wearing that morning.

Tony

CinderellyCinderelly
05-27-2002, 11:36 AM
I liked the idea of the whistle but now all the members of intercot are going to use that idea and the park will be full of whistle noises from their kids! ( or hey on the brighter side ..you'd know where the intercoters were )

Gotta Love the TTA
05-27-2002, 02:10 PM
true enough about the whistles.

Believe me, if you have kids, you know that there are all kinds of noisemaker thingies that you could use instead of the gym-teacher's whistle.

We have these obnoxious duck-lip things that make a LOUD quackquack sound. (it just occurred to me how fun they would be when we meet Donald!)

There are also "cricket clickers" and little penny whistle things.

Let you kids choose what their "distress signal" will be.