PDA

View Full Version : What can someone in their mid 20's do at Disney?

disney4adults2?
09-12-2002, 02:01 PM
What can someone in their mid 20's do at Disney?

magic88
09-12-2002, 02:12 PM
I am nearly 22 and just visited disney world last may. I had a wonderful time. It's really not just for kids. I mean, yes, you are going to be surrounding my children for 85% of the day. But there's other things to do. Pleasure island rocks if you're into clubs and alcohol. You can lounge on the beach if you stay at the right hotel (kid free most of the time). When i was down there though all i wanted to do was go to the parks. Have you never been? You're gonna love it.

disney4adults2?
09-12-2002, 02:42 PM
I have been before, but it was so long ago that I do not remember what it was like. We will be staying at the Movie Resort. Will I be able to go to the Sports Resort and use their atheletic facilities also?

BrerGnat
09-12-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by disney4adults2?:
I have been before, but it was so long ago that I do not remember what it was like. We will be staying at the Movie Resort. Will I be able to go to the Sports Resort and use their atheletic facilities also?Umm, there are no athletic facilities at the Sports resort. Only some of the deluxe resorts have fitness facilities. It's just called the All Star Sports Resort because that is its *theme*. It's only for pretend graemlins/laughing.gif

You will have a great time at WDW. I am 24 and I have gone with my sisters, boyfriend (now husband...we were married there last year and spent our honeymoon there too!).

Will you be going with a significant other or just with friends or family? There are a few good books out there geared towards adults. One is Birnbaum's Guide to WDW for Couples. I believe Birnbaum also has a guide called WDW Without the Kids, aimed at grown up guests. Just go to Amazon or a bookstore near you in the travel section, you will find lots of stuff.

Disneyworld is ten times better as an adult because you are free to do whatever you want!

disneygoofball
09-12-2002, 05:45 PM
I'm 24 and love going to Disney World! There's tons you can do - some of it costs extra money, but not all of it. Here's some tips:
Free stuff:
- People watch, this is always fun and interesting.
- Spend your time exploring EPCOT World Showcase. Kids tend to get bored here, but there's lots of neat stuff you can take time to explore.
- Eat at some of the nicer restaurants. Okay, this isn't exactly free, but a lot of people avoid the sit down restaurants like Victoria and Alberts or the California Grill because their children wouldn't enjoy it as much.
- Downtown Disney! (need I say more?) You can go shopping to your heart's content, and there are tons of nice restaurants, or you can just wander around and interact with people.
- the rides and shows are still lots of fun as an adult, in fact, they can be even more fun because you "get it" more than when you were a kid.
- Lay out on the beach.
- Go to a water park. These are still awesome even if you're an adult.

Not so free stuff:
- Go parasailing or wakeboarding, or skiing.
- Get a massage or spend a half day at the spa.
- Take a golf lesson or go golfing.
- Go to the Polynesian Luau or Hoop-de-doo dinner shows

These are just a couple of suggestions, I'm sure other people can give you more. smile.gif

Disney-4-Me
09-12-2002, 07:04 PM
disney4adults2?, you have come to the right place to find out specifically what adults love about Disney. Just hang out on the boards, you will be amazed at what you can learn.
Welcome to Intercot! graemlins/muscles.gif

Here's my answer to your question though, people in their 20s can do the same things as teenagers, people in their 30s, people in their 40s etc. Get the idea? Disney is for everyone and it helps to be young at heart! ;)

Flower
09-13-2002, 10:03 AM
DH (who was DB at the time)and I first went together in 1995 (with my mom after the passing of my father), I had not been there since 1989 and it was around that same timeframe that he had last gone with his family.

As you can see we had such a great time that we have gone back almost every year since. We are childless so that has not swayed our vacation decision.

Our first time there together our unanimous question was "Why would anyone WANT to bring kids to DW?" :confused: We had a great time as adults! (Don't get me wrong, we do want kids and want to take them to DW)

As an adult, there really is alot you can do there, take the above suggestions and get books on the parks.

And no, there are no fitness facilities at any of the value/moderate resorts. I believe you may be able to purchase a day-pass for fitness centres at the delux resorts. I know at one point you could do so. Keep in mind that in a previous post 1 intercot member took a pedometer with him. He walked anywhere from 8 to 13 miles in a typical day. I am sure you will also be swimming so the only real activity you will miss out on is strength training.

Let us know how your trip goes! You will have fun!

magic88
09-13-2002, 09:20 PM
If you are into sports get a ticket to something at Disney's Wide World of Sports. When I was there last, we got a free ticket with each Park Hopper ticket we bought (I'm not sure why, we didn't argue though). You can only be a spectator with this ticket. We spent to much time in the parks to use the tickets and I still have two which expire in May 2003 if you're interested. Just post a reply. graemlins/laughing.gif

VAdizneefan
09-14-2002, 10:56 AM
My husband and I go to Disney each year, I'm 24 and he's 28 (no kids.) We love to go to Disney because there's so much to do, be it riding the rides, catching the shows, or dining in the many restaurants. I agree with the early post about the Birnbaum's guide -- that will give you ideas about things to do that are geared toward couples. I say go for it and have a great time!!

Lyle
09-14-2002, 05:07 PM
This place is WONDERFUL for people in their 20's or anybody any age. I'm 28 and my first trip was in Feb. 1997. I'm going this Dec. by myself. This will be my 4th trip. This past Jan. I went by myself and had the most AWESOME time. Everytime I feel like a young child again. There is so much to do. I love the rides, especially the thrill rides. Disneyquest, Pleasure Island , all of downtown disney. The sights and sounds of the BOARDWALK, which has ESPN CLUB, which is awesome. All the parks, I can't get enough of the parks, I love ALL the rides, EVERYTHING about DISNEY is MAGICAL, no matter what age.

minniedawg
09-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Welcome to Intercot and to Disney World.

I am 27 and absolutely wouldn't miss a chance to go to Disney. It is one of the most fun places on Earth to go. There are about a million attractions that are themed so that they hit both kids and adults in different ways and the clubs on Pleasure Island are a real treat for adults.

Don't worry about getting in your excercise when you're there. You will walk a ton, and my DH actually brings ankle and wrist weights (although I'll admit he doesn't always wear them ;) ) to keep up weight training. By the time you're done for the day, even the most fit person will be exhausted.

Have a fantastic time and enjoy the resort. In my opinion, Disney is better for adults than it is for kids, so that should tell you something.

-minniedawg

CAS
09-17-2002, 08:22 AM
What is there to do in your mid 20's? What is there not to do!!! I believe this may be the perfect age to visit WDW. I'm 25, which means I'm still young enough to get away with doing silly child-like things but old enough to enjoy the 21+ locations such as pleasure island. My wife and I go every year and love every minute of it.

My advice? In reality, most of the attractions are really not 100% geared toward kids (although kids enjoy it just the same). The rides and shows are just as, if not more, entertaining to adults than children. I've been to WDW every year since I was 6 years old (oh my, that is a lot) and I've enjoyed it even more as an adult. I get more out of it, catch things that I never did before, and take much less for granted.

I have a feeling if you play your cards right, you'll be bitten by the Disney bug and become forever addicted (which is a good thing). WDW is the only place I would think of in which to let loose as a young person and revel in as a mature one.

Have a spectacular time!!!!! graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

Munch
09-17-2002, 09:45 AM
Welcome to Intercot. I'm no longer in my 20's (and that's all I'll admit to ;) ) and going back for the 3rd time next month (16 days away to be exact!!! graemlins/muscles.gif ) Its not just for kids! Kids get into all the rides (well okay, so do the rest of us :D ) but there's so much more. WDW is also about the shows (Fantasmic and fireworks rock at any age), the animatronics (so cool), Indiana Jones Stunt Show (now you'll find out how they did that!) DisneyQuest (you'll love this - 20's are the perfect age), WorldShowcase (travel the world w/o leaving FL!). But what I think adults appreciate more than kids is the whole atmosphere.

And you can visit the other resorts as well. Ride a watermouse, play golf, go horseback riding, stroll the Boardwalk. Listen, I know you're thinking that DW is uncool at your age. I've been there so I know. Do yourself a really big favor, and keep your mind open to the possibilities. Be young at heart. Don't be afaid to have old-fashioned fun. It'll be easier to cope when life starts dumping on you. Trust me, been there/done that.

disney_fan_2000
09-20-2002, 10:28 PM
When I saw this post, I thought I just had to join in! I'm 26, and not a day goes by that I don't think about something Disney. Part of the fun of going to Disney is also the planning. From the day I returned from my last trip, I've been planning for the next trip. Remember that there's no way to see everything in one trip. And if you try to, you'll only exhaust yourself and have a miserable time. The World of Disney is seen different through the eyes of a Child then the eyes of an adult, but the magic can still be as wonderful, if you let it.

For example, when I was younger, I always watched the Disney Sunday Night Movie, and they'd show people in the Water Mice. On my last trip, I was able to rent one of the Water Mice, and the experience was amazing. I have several pictures of the magic kingdom, the monorails, the three lagoon hotels, discovery island, and the wilderness resort that are absolutely amazing views. I would highly recomend renting the water mice for at least an hour.

Another past time of mine is talking (or perhaps flirting) with the cast members. Some people collect stuffed animals, others collect pins, I collect Cast Members. Well... sort of... I think the cast members are some of the most overlooked "attractions." I tried to get pictures of as many Cast Members as possible, since they also help me to remember the wonderful time I had. Spend some time talking to these people. You can find out all sorts of things (including some secrets about the parks!) On my last trip, I met a cast member who was from the next town over from me, so we were able to share some "back home" stories. It makes the trip more personable.

One last tip is don't be afraid to be a kid. This is the Happiest Place on Earth and make sure you have FUN!!! graemlins/mickey.gif

EpcotChic23
09-24-2002, 09:52 PM
I am 23 and my boyfriend is 26 and we were there 2 months ago. I have been there like 19 times but this was his first trip so I will tell you what he enjoyed

- World Showcase in EPCOT

- Downtown Disney

- Get a massage (he loved the one at the DIsney Instatute)

- Go on a tour I took one of EPCOT but there are others

- Go For a drink and Fireworks View at California Grill at the Contemporary Resort ( the food there is not that bad eaither)

- Go to the diffrent Hotels and go shopping each hotel has themed stores

-Rent boats on the Lake

-Relax By the resort pool

If you have any other questions e-mail I would love to help you!!!! tongue.gif

imvicky1999
09-26-2002, 12:47 PM
I guess you got the point that there is plenty for you to see and do. The only age I think wouldn't benefit is under 2 yrs. and even then a 1 yr old would love to see Mickey and all the other characters. So I guess there really is no age limit. Young and Old and everyone in between will have plenty to enjoy at Disney.
Have Fun,
Vicky
7 months 4 days and counting! graemlins/clappy.gif

loveswdw
09-28-2002, 02:26 PM
My adult children, all in their twenties, really love going to Jellyrolls and ESPN, both at the BWalk. They have a great time at Jellyrolls.

WDWLori
09-29-2002, 08:29 PM
I'm 24 and have been going to WDW every year since 1982. I grew up with it so I'm used to it, it's a part of my life. I love World Showcase the most. It's fun to just walk around and take it all in. I love sampling all the unique food, shops and entertainment. I also love just hanging around the pools at the hotels. Two years ago I went to Atlantic Dance at the Boardwalk and have gone back everytime since. I also love the Adventurers Club. There's plenty for someone in their mid 20's to do at WDW! It's very hard not to find something fun to do.

mel
10-10-2002, 01:42 PM
You are kidding right??? I am way past my twenty's and still finding new things to do!!!

Rich Mc
10-14-2002, 07:40 PM
Downtown Disney on the weekend nights, in particular Paradise Island,is packed with 20-something people having a great time.
Adventures Club is always a good time. The Comedy Club.

TiggerRPh
10-14-2002, 08:11 PM
Have fun!!!

graemlins/mickey.gif

Dracula766
10-15-2002, 01:48 AM
Keep in mind that national acts play the House of Blues regularly. on my trip to WDW in 2000 I was lucky enough to catch Veruca Salt there. It was a great show and the HOB is a great venue.

Check their schedule of upcoming shows and maybe a band you like will be playing while you are there.

GusNJacque
10-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Also something else that I didn't see anyone else touch on. In the Wide World of Sports complex they have interactive things that you can do. Kick a football, run a course, test your strength.

I have the :cool: picture of my nephew kicking a field goal. He kicked it over the fence. Even the Disney people were impressed.

My nephew mentioned above is just a few years younger than me & is more like a little brother than my nephew. He is a COMPLETE jock. His job even revolves around sports. He is a assistant coach at a major university. Not once while we were there did he ever get bored or needed something else to do.

You will be just fine--trust us on this one. smile.gif

peeps
10-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Goofball,

You enjoy people watching too! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Glad to know there are fellow "watchsters" out there!

I am 26 and I have been to Disney quite a few times. I have mainly only been to the parks, but this trip I plan to play a round of golf and go on one of the fishing excursions. I hear the fishing excursions are really fun. Maybe you could try that...of course, you'd probably want to find 5 people to bring the price down :(

I will be sure to post a trip report in Dec. to let everyone know how the fishing excursions are. Hopefully I'll have pics to post as well.

bye

HookRulz
10-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Hey, I was donw in Disney World in June 2002 and it was the first time I was in DIsney since I turned 21. This had to have been the best time I had yet. Since I was one, my family and I have been going to Disney ever year. It doesn't hurt that we are also DVC members smile.gif Anyway, when we first got there, me and my sister hit up the Outer Rim lounge at the Contemporary, that was the hotel we stayed in this visit. That was alot of the fun, the bartenders are really nice and they love to serve you. Next, we hit up EPCOT. Finally, I was able to do the drink around the world game I have been planning since I was 16. Me and my sister started in Mexico and worked our way all around to Canada sampling the countries beers and wines. The UK is by far my personal favorite. Last but not least, I spent every night at Pleasure Island. It was a lil costly, about the same price for a beer you would pay at a ball park. But the fun was unreplaceable. My favorite clubs were 8-Trax and The Rock and Roll Beach Club. If you like a bar like atmosphere, the Rock and ROll Beach Clubs is your best bet. You can chill at the bar listenin to some great music, or take your drink over to the air air jockey or billiards tables and have some fun. I met somoe people down there that live in the same area as I do and we were hangin out all week I was there. Best time I ever had. So, once you hit 21, DIsney takes on a whole new light. It's worth the trip.

Munch
10-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Disney4Adults2 . . . aren't you sorry that you asked? I just got back last week, and let me tell you I saw EVERY age represented there and EVERYONE was really into the spirit of things. I kid you not, I lost track of how many seniors I saw, people in wheelchairs all over the place, and I will never forget the elderly lady in the wheelchair - wait for it - on oxygen! - no I'm not kidding! And I don't think anyone there was enjoying themselves more than she was!

There are just so many sides to WDW, that there is truly something for everyone.