PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk - Adult Lounging Question

FredTaco
07-02-2002, 04:55 PM
I was wondering what the nightlife was like at the Boardwalk during the evening hours. I know there is a micro-brew there and remember reading something about a dueling piano bar. I know the micro-brew is still there what about the Piano Bar? Are these places more relaxing than going to Pleasure Island? Everyone in my group will be <30 yrs *no children*. Also we are not staying near the Boardwalk, is it easy to arrive/leave in the evenings?

Thanks!

Guinness
07-02-2002, 07:42 PM
There is a Piano bar (name escapes me at the moment), also Atlantic Dance which is like a big old fasion dance hall. There is also the ESPN Club and the Micro-brewery. The Atmosphere is a little more laid back than that of Pleasure Island, and there is no overall cover to wander around. I like them both, but prefer the party atmosphere and variety of PI a little more. If you have the opportunity you should try and see both. The Boardwalk would be a nice place to go for a more relaxing evening.
I always used the busses, so don't really know about the parking and such.

dizneycc
07-02-2002, 08:08 PM
My dh and I (both mid 30's) visit the Boardwalk at least once each trip. We have always driven there. They have a large parking lot or you can valet for $6. Remember, if you paid for parking already during the day, you can just show your parking pass and not pay again.

The dueling piano bar is called Jelly Rolls. We have never been, but always mean to. Last time we shyed away because it was so cold in there!

There are also several stores you can shop in and plenty of places to visit. We had dinner at the micro brewery. We sat outside on the boardwalk and enjoyed the festivities while we ate. The food was excellent.

It is a much more laid back atmosphere than PI. You can also see some of Epcots fireworks from there. Go beyond ESPN on the walkway and stand with your back towards the lake.

Also, take in the Boardwalk hotel lobby! Very relaxing!

smile.gif

EmisDisneyMom
07-03-2002, 11:51 AM
DH and I make it a point to go to Jellyrolls every time we go to WDW without kids. We REALLY enjoy this place BUT it is not laid back. Everyone sings with the piano players and they have you dance to certain songs. People are swinging their beers to the songs and singing out of key. It is a very upbeat, loud place. We think it is a blast and will be headed back there in September to enjoy it again.

FredTaco
07-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned we are flying in and will be stayin on property at POFQ. How difficult will it be for us to get there and back. Jelly Rolls sounds like it should be a lot of fun. smile.gif

DisneyTeen
07-03-2002, 03:30 PM
I have heard, i am not old enough to get in, that Jellyrolls is great, alot of fun and great drinks.

delarosa
07-03-2002, 05:22 PM
In the evenings it is easiest to drive over to the Boardwalk. But since you won't have a car, you will have to transfer busses as there are no resort to resort busses. You can hop a bus to Boardwalk from whatever park is nearest that is still open. After park hours, you can use the Downtown Disney routes to get to and from.

Jelly Rolls is a hoot. It is NOT laid back at all. As was said above, it is loud, with lots of bad singing and stupid dancing. And there are NO KIDS. We love it!

TwoTinyWings
07-03-2002, 11:21 PM
Our vote is for Boardwalk -- we've never really been into the PI scene (though we're in our 20's), but we've always really liked the Boardwalk. It's just great for relaxing, people watching, and simply soaking up some good Disney theming. My one gripe is that they changed Atlantic Dance from being a great Lindy Hop venue into yet another Latin club -- GRRR! graemlins/nono.gif

DH and I have a tradition of eating outside at Big River Grille, the brewpub -- the food is great, the microbrews are excellent, and there are always the sights and sounds of midway game booths and street performers for entertainment. smile.gif Plus, if you have dinner (or dessert) late, you'll get to watch the fireworks from Illuminations from your table.

EmisDisneyMom
07-03-2002, 11:43 PM
If leaving from your resort to Jellyrolls head to the first bus that pulls up to your resort. Ride that bus to its destination and then jump on the next Boardwalk bus. If leaving from a park just jump on the Boardwalk bus. On your way home take the bus headed to Downtown and then jump onto your resort bus. It is actually simple. If you are at Epcot that day just walk over there from the international gateway. Another helpful hint is that if you want a table to sit at and not the bar or standing get there before 9pm. The piano players take requests on napkins so bring a pen because they are hard to come by. This place is a must for anyone that loves to laugh out loud. Enjoy!!! and report back.