PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Rolls

TheInventor'sDaughter
02-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Hello Nightlife Experts!!

Please tell me everything about this place -- who would enjoy it, what is involved, how late it's open, how you get reservations, what you would eat/drink there, etc.

I am thinking about planning an evening "after Illuminations" for a trip with no kids and only a teenager.

Thanks!!

:D - Vaneta

tad_tad
02-17-2002, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately, one of the things that I know about Jellyrolls is that you have to be 21 to get in. They check id's at the door, so a teenager won't be able to go. :(

For future reference though, Jellyrolls is super-fun! I believe doors open at 7, piano playing starts at 8. There is a $5 cover unless it has changed fairly recently. They serve drinks and (I believe) popcorn. The dualing pianists play songs that the audience request by writing on napkins. The larger the tip that comes with the napkin, the better your chances of hearing your song!

I would suggest to anyone who goes that you avoid Tuesdays unless you want to be there when it's absolutely packed. That's CM night.

Oh, and the earlier you get there, the better your table will be. And I think they close at 2.

rokinrayfrompittpa
03-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Another part of the show is the audience is encouraged to clap and sing along, so make those requests upbeat songs. The club features two of the top 15 dueling piano players in the country in Ray McGee and Drew Tepe.

NancyIL
03-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Jellyrolls is a lot of fun, but it is VERY smokey!

bigears
03-06-2002, 10:05 PM
This is my FAVORITE thing to do at nite in disney! It is so much fun -- even people that you would never expect to get into the sing-a-long atmosphere are having a great time by the end of the night. Every time I've been there I've had a great time with or without drinking. Unfortunately its 21 and older only in the club.

brimeis
03-28-2002, 09:54 PM
My wife and I went to WDW about 2 years ago and we stumbled upon this place. I think we spent 3 nights there after the various parks had shut down. This has to be one of my favorite memories of WDW, and definately the most fun night spot we could find. It is good if you want to relax but don't like super loud dance music. As far as them taking requests, we didn't have any problem getting any of our songs played while we were there, and that only took a buck or two per song. If you go be sure to request Old Mcdonald's disfunctional farm, it's a riot! Also, I am sure they will do Sweet Caroline while you are there, this is also a great sing along. Have fun for me, I don't know when I will get to go again.

delarosa
04-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Doors open at 7 pm, with the players gearing up at 8:00. Cover is $6.00. Food is limited to the free basket of popcorn on your table. Bring a pen with you! I had a heck of a time trying to wrangle one away from the wait staff! The more you tip, the quicker your song gets played. There are two sets of players and they switch every hour. If one set doesn't know your song, they will leave it for the next set to try. If neither pair knows it, they'll let you come change it. It's a great place.

Make you sure you request Copa Cabana later in the evening and be prepared to CONGA!

jsalem
04-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Where exactly is jelly rolls located?

It sounds like a blast!

Do any CM's know if Cast Members under 21 can get in on CM night?

Thanks for your help!
Jodi

harlowandthemermaid
04-01-2002, 09:34 PM
Wow, this is one of the few things I haven't done at Disney...I'm going to put this on the "must do" list for my trip next month!

delarosa
04-01-2002, 11:32 PM
Jellyrolls is located on the Boardwalk, next to Atlantic Dance Hall. No one under 21 is allowed, even CMs. At least that was policy in 2000.

captainhook
04-12-2002, 02:01 PM
They definately don't let anyone under 21 in JellyRolls! When I was there last year, I got carded (by the way, I'm 32), didn't have my driver's license with me, and they wouldn't let me in, even though I was with my husband and a group of his co-workers who all had their DL's. They believed that I was older than 21, but their rule is that they card anyone who looks like they are younger than 30! :(

Needless to say, I love the club so much (we had been there before), that I went all the way back to our hotel to get my ID. Quite a compliment to be carded, but quite a hassle, too, so DON'T FORGET YOUR ID! ;)

jsalem
04-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks for letting me know that NOONE under 21 can get in the bar. I'll be 22 when I start working at WDW next month, so it won't be a problem for me, but I assume that a number of people in the International Program are under 21, and therefore won't be able to come with me to JellyRolls. :( I guess I'll have to find an older crowd to hang out with when I wanna head there! :cool:

AndAwayWeGo
05-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Bumping this up to say how much fun Jellyroll's is! I went there with a friend a year ago and it was SO much fun! We were sitting up front and the piano players kept on pointing out the crazy little dances we were making up. A GREAT time!

SPERev
05-23-2002, 08:43 AM
This place sounds pretty much exactly like the Howl at the Moon saloon. Anyone been to both that can tell me if I am right, and if there are any real big differences ?

Colson39
05-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Howl at The Moon and Jellyrolls are basically the exact same thing. Jellyrolls as a club actually dates back quite a bit, before there was even a Boardwalk really. Jellyrolls was a dueling pianos club in Tampa for the 2 years I lived there (93-94), so that's almost 10 years ago now. I'm sure that the popularity of Jellyrolls in Tampa led to it's being placed on the Boardwalk at Disney. Anyways, if you like Howl At The Moon, you'll like Jellyrolls, they are the exact same thing, even setup wise they look similar smile.gif

delarosa
05-23-2002, 07:58 PM
Jelly Rolls is actually a chain. There are several of them around, including downtown Atlanta.

rokinrayfrompittpa
05-25-2002, 02:19 PM
The show at Jellyrolls is cleaner than the show at other dueling piano clubs and that is because of the affiliation with Disney. Before that the show was more risque. Still, it's a great show without overbearing innuendo. At one point there were Jellyrolls in Austin, TX, Pittsburgh and previously mentioened, Tampa, but only Disney and Atlanta are operating. "Howl at the Moon" has about a dozen clubs around the country. The rowdiest of all dueling piano clubs is "Crocodile Rocks" in Myrtle Beach. That chain also has clubs in Columbia, SC and Norfolk, VA. "Sing Sing" is part of the Rock Bottom Restaurant chain and has clubs in Irvine, CA, Denver, CO and Pittsburgh. "L'il Ditties" has clubs in Phoenix and Minneapolis.
The key to keeping these clubs open is having great performers. Jellyrolls has always had a higher musical standard than the other chains, though has chased away several of the top performers in the business in creative and payroll disputes. Many of these performers have a strong classical background. A must see when you go to Disney and in particular the boardwalk complex. Many of the performers are willing to take on private parties and other gigs. I've seen 89 players in 29 venues since I fell in love with dueling pianos eight years ago. Feel free to write me for additional information.