PDA

View Full Version : weight limit

chris
09-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Are there weight limits on any of the rides? I'm not a teensie person and I sure would not want to be embarressed in front of a crowd of people. graemlins/blush.gif

Roland
09-01-2002, 03:36 PM
Gee, that's a good question. I don't recall any weight limits nor are their size limits. I guess it would depend on the space available in the seats that would be the limiting factor.

I have seen some people have a hard time getting into Space Mountain cars and Splash Mountain logs. The Space Mountain logs are large enough, but it's the step down into the logs that were a problem for some people.

Did you have a particular ride in mind or just a general question?

Roland
09-01-2002, 03:37 PM
Gee, that's a good question. I don't recall any weight limits nor are their size limits. I guess it would depend on the space available in the seats that would be the limiting factor.

I have seen some people have a hard time getting into Space Mountain cars and Splash Mountain logs. The Space Mountain logs are large enough, but it's the step down into the logs that were a problem for some people.

Did you have a particular ride in mind or just a general question?

Disney-4-Me
09-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Hey Chris, welcome! My husband is 6'4" and around 220. He has been able to fit into everything but has had problems 'bending' into the logs on both Space and Splash Mountains. He refuses to go on Big Thunder anymore because he feels like he is going to get his head chopped off coming around some of the turns. ;)

Most of the rides fit at least 2 people across in seats, so there is extra room. Also, most people in Disney World are pleasant so I wouldn't be worried about being embarrased. The Cast Members are extremely friendly and helpful (unlike a lot of other amusement parks) so you could just ask one who is working the attraction if you can't see the ride car type.

AbbyabbyAbby
09-02-2002, 12:00 AM
There's a website out there about this topic (I can't think of it offhand, but I'll look for it).

My husband and I aren't small people, so if you have ANY questions please don't hesitate to drop me an email. I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can! smile.gif

joelkfla
09-02-2002, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by AbbyabbyAbby:
There's a website out there about this topic (I can't think of it offhand, but I'll look for it). I think you're thinking of a page on
WDWIG (http://www.wdwig.com).
Look for the "WDW at Large" link.

pearlieq
09-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Both DH and are are good sized folks, and WDW is one of our favorite places to visit because it is so accessible. We haven't had any trouble with any rides. Splash Mountain was fine, though it was a bit snug with DH and I together. DH said there was plenty of room of Space Mountain as well. BTMRR was fine for me, but I would request your own car, as they are a bit short across. RnR had tons of room, and we had no troubles with Test Track---there was plenty of room in the belts. Ask the CM not to seat anyone in the middle seat in your row. It will make getting in and out a lot easier. Use the benches at the back of the Muppet Vision theater. Your experience won't be dimished at all and you won't be pinched by those tiny seats. At AK, ask to be seated alone on Kali or with a small child as the belts are a bit short.

If you don't like going through turnstiles, used the gate! Don't be shy! This is your vacation and you deserve to be comfortable.

Also, as someone else said, check out WDW at Large on Deb Willis' WDWIG site. It did so much to put my mind at ease. There are description of all of the ride seats and lots of photos as well.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I am well versed in this subject and would be happy to help in any way.

Have a fantastic time!!!

AbbyabbyAbby
09-02-2002, 10:42 PM
That's the site!!! smile.gif And like pearlieq said, don't be afraid to use the gates instead of the turnstiles!! My husband did this a few times and nobody cared.

Most importantly, have a GREAT time! graemlins/mickey.gif

SpecJoe Magic
09-03-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Disney-4-Me:
My husband is 6'4" and around 220. He has been able to fit into everything but has had problems 'bending' into the logs on both Space and Splash Mountains. He refuses to go on Big Thunder anymore because he feels like he is going to get his head chopped off coming around some of the turns. ;)
Tell your husband that I am 6'9" and 250 pounds, and I haven't had my head chopped chopped off on Big Thunder. :D The Splash Mountain logs and the Space Mountain rockets tend to be a tight fit for me because of my height.

CaptSmee
09-03-2002, 01:31 PM
6'4" 300 lbs and I fit comfortably on every ride, except Rockin' Roller Coaster. Don't worry, and have fun! graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chris Proctor
09-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Most rides won't be a problem for anyone who isn't exceptionally large. Any ride with a tighter restraint system may be problematic or uncomfortable. The only ones I can think of off-hand are Space Mountain and Rocking Rollercoaster though.

Universal Studios puts a seat or two from each of its rides with tighter restraints out in front of the ride so guests can try it before waiting (or being as embarassed.) Islands of Adventure also has seats specifically for larger people. I wish Disney would consider the same thing.

PS: Anyone remember when they used to have the space mountain cars up above the space mountain entrance?

Jasper
09-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Put me in the catagory of one who used to be large. 5 foot 10 and 300 lbs. Now I am down to 198. (Yes, I am bragging) But my point is that because of the size I once was I made a point of checking for weight limits and can say with confidence that the others who have replied are correct there are no weight limits. The only limits are really how big around you are and if that prevents you from getting in the seat and fastening the safety equipment.

One interesting note, I have seen some people who appeared to be incredibly large around who had quite a difficult getting in but yet they always seemed to make it.

DisneyWorldObsessed26
09-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Of subject of the subject but congrats to you Jasper on the Weight loss, From a fello Hoosier!!

vizsla
09-23-2002, 07:45 PM
The only thing I know of with a weight limit is if you go on the guided horse back rides at FW. Found that out on last visit, our nephew 6'7" 320 lbs was told he was to big. But as far as all the attractions he fit comfortably with his girlfriend at his side on all of them.

goofgal
09-23-2002, 09:38 PM
'Nother large person checking in. Never had a problem and have ridden perhaps 95% of the rides (no one will ever get me on RnR).

Worst problem I have is in Pirates of the Carribbean getting through the turnstiles. Use the gate.

VickiP
09-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Just checking in to say CONGRATULATIONS to Jasper. That's a great accomplishment.

Swedish Cath
09-24-2002, 06:28 AM
We rode Kali River Rapids at AK and there was a BIG guy in the same "boat" as us. He took up two seats and the CM gave him an extension piece to put in the seat belt and make it long enough. So I guess if the seat belts are abit tight you can ask for one of those. Best to ask as soon as you get to the loading area, not when you are actually in the "boat" so you don't hold up the ride.

Actually I've seen these on airplanes too....

DAKChuck
09-26-2002, 03:40 AM
I don't think Kali has the extensions anymore. I have yet turned anyone away due to size though.

I am 6'8", and I have a difficult time fitting on most rides as well. Don't even talk about the knee pain after getting off Space Mountain.

Sam Pinizzotto
09-26-2002, 02:27 PM
I am 6' 290lbs and have not any problems with any of the rides.

California Adventure has the swings and there is a limit there, but none in WDW.

The only ride I ever had a problem was the Virtual Space Mountain in Disney Quest. I have a rather broad chest and the harness is very restrictive. I could barely breath once the got the thing clicked into it's spot.

The ride wasn't even worth all the trouble. I would have rather stood in line for the Pirates of the Carribean Adventure a couple more times instead.

Missouri Bell
09-28-2002, 01:12 AM
For anyone worried about size I would suggest that when you're asked how many in your party you say 1. The CM will seat you in a row by yourself. I was a bit worried about RnRC but the harness fit great and thank gawd it felt so secure!!!! I was scared to death the whole time but if the harness was flimsy I hate to think of how bad it would have been for me. I do wish there was more leg room, I really feel sorry for anyone who is tall. I'm 5'8" and I don't have enough leg room!!

Chris Proctor
09-28-2002, 01:23 AM
Thats a good tip, I would temper it with a slight cautionary note though. I often go to the parks alone, due to my wife's current state of pregnancy.

I can safely say that I usually get paired up with another single or a threesome on most rides. I suspect though that the CMs do their best to recognize situations that would give their guests difficulty. I'm sure if they are working RR, for example, they know what type of guests may have problems.

When in doubt, ask the CM at the entrance to the attraction you are interested in. I'm sure they will make sure you are well taken care of.