PDA

View Full Version : It's a Bug's Life Question...

joekrocker
08-19-2002, 11:01 PM
My daughters 8 & 10 absolutely would not go on this ride! Someone told them you got poked with something that resembles a bee sting. Can someone tell us about this attraction? We plan on going again in 2003 or 2004. Thank you!!!!!!
graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

Dorito2000
08-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Well, who ever told them this is really WRONG. Also, it isnt really a ride. It is a 3D show with some really cool effects. Hope this helps.

Disney_Girl
08-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Well, if you are talking about the "It's Tough to Be a Bug" 3D Show inside the Tree of Life at AK, yes you do momentarily get poked in the back by a "bee stinger." It happens kind of in the middle of the show when the grasshoppers take over. The show starts out with Flik desplaying some bug talents. You get sprayed with a little water, by a stinkbug graemlins/sick.gif , and some jets of hot air. Its very similar to the 3D show "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience." I found it to be very enjoyable, but it might be a little intense for small children. I would just base my decision on weather or not they liked HISTA.

boatboy
08-19-2002, 11:11 PM
I dont have alot of experience with that age, my kids are 16mos (twins)
I think there are some scary moments in the show. Its been refered to as 4D, a 3D movie with animitronic figures, water squirts, smells, giant spiders coming from the ceiling, and yes a little poke in the back.
It startling, people scream, but nothing accually hurts.
so yes the point at times in the show is to be afraid.
At the age your kids are I would think that they would be ok with this. Nothing is overly realistic, its very cartoon format.

HooksLeftHand
08-19-2002, 11:12 PM
I, too, was nervous about this before I went in, for the same reason.

It turns out the "sting" feels more like being surprised with a back massager or wind-up joy buzzer. But since it's accompanied by darkness and convincing 3-D sound effects of hornets buzzing in your ears, it's a little freaky.

It's only a small portion of the show, however, and the movie is great fun. Believe me, Disney isn't going to make an attraction where you experience physical pain. Lots of kids younger than yours enjoy the show!

Dorito2000
08-19-2002, 11:13 PM
hmm, I might have just not felt it at all because I have no knowledge of the beesting. The only thing I felt was the little "bugs" exiting the attraction smile.gif

Disney-4-Me
08-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Your kids are the perfect ages for this attraction. I think of it as close to the Muppets 3-D attraction. It is darker but if the kids liked the movie they will like the show too. You might want to watch the movie again at home before you go to see their reaction to that.

I have been in this show several times with little kids. We did have a 5 year old girl with us in April that didn't stay because she doesn't like the dark and a 4 year old boy who liked it but wouldn't wear his 3-D glasses.

The seats have little moving lumps in them that are what people are talking about. At the end you feel the most movement as the bugs leave the theater. Of course there are always people who scream at this point but it is fun.

I think if they try it they'll end up loving it. graemlins/muscles.gif

EmisDisneyMom
08-20-2002, 09:22 AM
I had been in this attraction before I took my DD-4. I knew she would not care for the bee sting so told her about it and then told her not to sit all the way back in the seat. It comes from the back of the bench so if you are not all the way back you don't feel a thing. I also had my DD take her 3D glasses off if she started to get a little scared, this calmed her down right away. I think your girls will enjoy it as long as they are told the truth. The "sting" is actually a blunt buzzer that touches your back.

Little Round Bale
08-20-2002, 09:54 AM
My little 9 year old girl seen this show at 7 and 8 and gets scared during this show. She loves bugs life but I guess between it being dark and all the activity and peoples reactions, she gets upset. She does lean forward at the end, and raises her glasses alot. She walks out saying maybe next year mom.

But you never know it is a very cute show. Worth the try.

xipetotec
08-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Dorito - My understanding is that the buzzer is random and not everyone "gets it"... For example, we were a group of 13 when we went, and I got buzzed but a few in our group didn't...

Dorito2000
08-20-2002, 11:28 AM
well, I went twice and didnt get stung. I guess I am just lucky smile.gif

faline
08-20-2002, 12:16 PM
If you happen to be leaning forward during the "sting" you won't feel it.

I think this show really depends upon the kid. It is the one attraction in which I can always count on hearing at lease one terrified, screaming child. It's hard to say what the "right" age is for this ride. Some really little kids take it all in stride. Others don't like it at all.

Sam Pinizzotto
08-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Since there is bench style seating in this show, you may actually sit on the in between part of the seat where the "stinger" comes out of the back. It's just basically a blunt piece of plastic that comes out of the bench backrest.

The scariest part of this show seems to be the black widow spiders that come down and hang over your head. They are large but if you tell your child they are make believe, then they should be OK.

tiggerrrific
08-20-2002, 01:47 PM
I have to agree this is a great attraction. However, I can see how this could be scary for a small child. As for the bee sting, as soon as I hear them I lean forward. I have never been stung and I don't plan on ever being stung.

Flower
08-20-2002, 03:31 PM
It really is a fun attraction as long long as it is explained to a child that it is all in Disney fun.

Another suggestion would be to try to get seats near the end of the benches by the exit; that way if your child does not like the performance you can get out fairly discreetly.

As stated, comparable to Honey I shrunk the Audience & Muppet's 3D; if your kids are okay with the two of them, A Bug's Life should be alright! Take in the other 2 first and then see how they feel about going to IABL.

kansasteen13
08-20-2002, 03:49 PM
I love this attraction but have a brother and cousin who were 5 and 7 when they saw it and got terrified,I dont think you can really compare it to Muppets that is all fun and nothing scary this you get stung if you sit back and they have a stink bug.it can be scary but for a very short period of time.

DisneyDudet
08-20-2002, 04:12 PM
This attraction is so very fun! It is a little intense. If they really want to see a 3-D/4-D movie, I would try them at the Muppet 3-D movie at MGM. It is very calm. Then see the Bug's Life one... they will feel a connection if they've seen the movie. There is a spray from the stink bug which most kids find really funny. But the grasshopper is a little scary, even for me, and 18 yr old.

There is also a part where they slingshot acorns into the audience, but all u do is see them fly at you and feel a blast of air that comes from the seat in front of you.

The black widows are the scariest. If at all possible, do not let your child look straight up, because a spider could be right over them, which startled me the most when we went in June (once again, i am 18). The "stings" will only get you if you are leaning back and are sitting in the middle of the rows. Find a seat near the ends and lean forward a bit when the bees are coming. It is just a poke in the back... to me.. it tickles. But it could startle a young child.

The crawling bugs at the end really just under your rear-end and are really fun... if your child/children don't feel the "stings" earlier on... they will like the bugs at the end.

I hope this is a little help.

I think that Honey I Shrunk the Audience is far more terrifying than ITTBAB, due to the mice and snakes in HISTA. I'm not a big fan of it... but i do it b/c its at WDW.
graemlins/mickey.gif

Scott C
08-22-2002, 03:41 PM
I would not try to force it on them. My DS12 and my DS10 are terrified by it and refuse to even consider seeing the show again. I think that it is just too intense for them. I think that it is a little funny that they will ride every thrill ride in the parks at ease but won't even think of seeing this show again.

Thanks

Scott C