PDA

View Full Version : What attractions close in the rain?

millercv
06-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Looks like it is going to be a rainy trip - fortunately most things are indoors but what does the rain close down?

I would imagine Test Track and BTMRR, but what else?

Thanks!

splashtest
06-27-2002, 09:20 AM
Actually I have been on Thunder Mountain and Splah Mountain in the rain. I think the only ride that closes in the rain is Test Track.

Have a good trip.

FLKatie912
06-27-2002, 10:09 AM
When I was there last week, they had the Backlot Studio Tour closed because of rain. Fantasmic may close depending on how hard it's raining. More things close if there is a storm, which is then when Big Thunder, Splash, Dumbo, Magic Carpets, etc will close.

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-27-2002, 11:54 AM
Yeah, Florida rainstorms tend to last about 5-10 minutes usually, except in the summer. The nifty thing about them is that they are usually in just one place and you can walk right out from under it and it'll be sunny in front of you and pouring behind you. Thunderstorms though, more precautions have to be taken because the majority of the outdoor rides act as lightning rods and could create a safety hazard. Indoor rides don't present much of a problem though. It's during these thunderstorms that you could partake in a nice empty show since most people seek refuge in gift shops and restaurants during thunderstorms. graemlins/idea.gif

nowickib
06-27-2002, 11:37 PM
Just complete a soggy seven day trip to DW. It rained, I mean poured every day and believe it or not the only rides and attractions that closed down were "Test Track,Fantasmic and the parades." Me and my family rode Dumbo, Aladdins Magic Carpet, Thunder Mountain, Primevil Whirl (Animal Kingdom)in pouring down rain. Even stayed in the pool at Blizzard Beach during one of the rain storms. (Never had a thunder an lightning storm). So either take ponchos or buy them at DW and don't let the rain stop you....because it didn't stop anyone else.

Gadget
06-28-2002, 12:51 AM
We were at the parks 6/16 - 6/20. It rained everyday - especially on 6/17 and 6/18. Once we decided we would not melt we donned the ponchos and kept on trecking. MUST HAVE - 2nd pair of dry shoes. We kept walking in the rain and it actually felt good! We sat for 90 minutes in a downpour on 6/17, waiting for Fantasmic. So glad we did - Fantasmic was well worth it!

So go in the rain and enjoy. It is really fun and the lines sudddenly become nonexistent graemlins/clappy.gif :D

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by nowickib:
So either take ponchos or buy them at DWI would suggest buying them off-property, because if you buy them at WDW and you end up having to use them on a particularly crowded day, you can bet that about 500 other people will have the same ponchos and it can become very easy to lose someone.

Welcome to INTERCOT nowickib! graemlins/clappy.gif

[ June 28, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: DisneyFanaticDargon ]

Victor Kelly
06-30-2002, 05:29 PM
Closing by park.

MK
Jungle Cruise (really bad storms only)
Splash Mountain (bad storms only)
BTMRR (seen it closed for light rain before)
Dumbo
Aladdin Carpet ride
Tommorrowland Speed Way
Fireworks
Spectromagic
Most Character greets

EPCOT
Test Track
Illuminations

MGM
Backlot tour
Indiana Jones
Fantasmic

AK
Kilamanjaro Safaris (probably only for bad storms)

I would recommend buying ponchos outside Disney. They can be had for under $4 each and are pretty decent. I won't wear ponchos anymore. I'd rather be soaked than soaked and smelly.

If anyone is there in the summer months, count on storms between 3pm and 6pm almost daily. And the storms can be a little bad sometimes. If the sky is turning grey and the temp is dropping with a breeze getting stronger, head for cover as fast as you can. It would be a good time to catch a bite to eat or to do some shopping. But, everyone else will have the same idea. Instead try getting into a show or a covered queue line for a ride.

T-Land Gal
07-01-2002, 03:39 AM
Actually, fireworks shows (except Fantasmic) go on rain or "shine". Outdoor Attractions close for Lightining Storms, and we've closed Speedway for torrential downpours, since the cars can hydroplane and hop track. Test Track closes for rain.
It looks like it's going to be soggy week down here. Definitely bring 2 pairs of sneakers, umbrellas, and rainjackets. The nice thing though: the lines tend to get shorter during the rain, so if you don't mind getting wet, you probably won't have too long to wait. Plus, you can go on Splash Mountain, and Kali without worrying about getting too wet!

tiggerandpooh63
07-01-2002, 08:59 PM
I can attest that the Tomorrowland Speedway (aka Indy 500 Speedway) does NOT close in the rain. I sat in an inch of water during a pelting rain so my son could do his regular ride. It was a time when I wished it did close!!! graemlins/crazy.gif

tigger24
07-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Test Track closes because of the high speed section. The rain actually hurts at 60 mph. But immediately after the rain is the absolute worst time to get back in line. People rush back to the line to meet with those who waited and the line quickly reaches over 2 hours long. My advice, go for the singles line or skip Test Track altogether.

nygiants56
07-02-2002, 06:22 PM
How close does the lightning have to be for the rides to close?

RainbowBrite5486
07-03-2002, 10:15 AM
I heard that for Test Track to close, there had to be lightning anyplace within a 5 mile radius.

T-Land Gal
07-03-2002, 10:21 AM
For outdoor attractions to close, there has to be lightining within a certain mile radius (can't remember the number right now.) But Test Track will close in the rain because of the high speeds, and out door track. Doesn't make for a very safe situation. That and the rain hitting your face at over 50 mph isn't very pleasant either!

[ July 03, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: T-Land Gal ]

DisneyTeen
07-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Test track will close in the rain and if there is a thunder/lighting storm with in like 4 miles of the park.

Zebra
07-04-2002, 10:01 AM
I know for a fact that Fantasmic won't close just for rain. There has to be lightning in the vicinity for them to close it. Just keep in mind, if there are storms, you may not get to see a show or you may have to see an abreviated version. I've actually witnessed stage managers getting boos from the audience for cancelling a show during a bad storm. Just remember they are doing this for your safety and the safety of their cast.

Victor Kelly
07-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Was anyone there around 93 or 94 when lightening hit the barges out in the lake?

Figaro
07-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Last number i heard about the lightning, was 5-10 i think! ( graemlins/idea.gif ) I heard water parks are 10 and they start taking more precautions and the others are 5.

[ July 05, 2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Figaro ]

DisneyScarlie
07-10-2002, 07:35 PM
This isn't rain, but it is weather related:

The Tapestry of Dreams parade in Epcot WILL NOT be held if there is even a sign of a stiff breeze. We tried to catch it three times with no luck, because of the wind (besides that, the skies were clear). I swear, the last time, the breeze was not even enough to make my hair move!
I was dissapointed, but understood - it's for the safety of the performers (and on lookers) b/c wind could totally pick up those puppets! But I still would have loved to see this parade last trip.
So try to catch the parade if you can (I heard it's more likely to be held in the rain than wind), but if it is windy at all, don't count on it!