PDA

View Full Version : WDW Railroad

master_gracey
05-16-2002, 11:15 PM
I absolutley love the WDW Railroad. But what is the appeal of it? Live steam, theming, etc.?

For me I think it would have to be that its operated as close to a real railroad as possible. With the lifelike station announcements, spiels and music, and the intense attention to detail. All of that and the live steam locomotives, it makes it one of my favorite attractions in the park. That and I'm a railroad buff!

What about you?

SgtTigger
05-16-2002, 11:39 PM
For me it is the closest connection you can make with Walt the man. He was the biggest railroad buff you can find. I have toured the Wilderness Lodge Villas and they have a ton of things from Walts back yard railroad. I love the stations and the real engines. That's right Real live steam engines. They were fond in the Yucatan and brought to Florida. So I guess that has always been there and I hope they always will.....

graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

JabberJaws
05-17-2002, 12:37 AM
I am a big WD Railroad fan myself. I think it is one of the most underappreciated lil parts of Disney there is. Like you said Walt was a huge railroad buff. And the authenticity alone is enough to give you a certain feeling of being in that fantasy or other world that Walt believed in so much. The lil themes like animatronics and the like reall add to each section of the park. You feel as if you are riding behind the scenes of each section..yet the behind the scenes are themed and decorated so that you feel like the sections arent really sections..but you are actually in those areas (if that makes any sense haha) like in adventureland you see animatronic gators along the river bed and in frontier land as u pass behind BTMRR you see a road runner fighting a rattler. Also I love to sit int he back bc the train opperators are some of the nicest people around. Last time we had a kindly old man that sat down and talked to us like we were his grandkids! It was great..plus very relaxing. This is always a must do for me at the park.

SpecJoe Magic
05-17-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by JabberJaws:
You feel as if you are riding behind the scenes of each section..yet the behind the scenes are themed and decorated so that you feel like the sections arent really sections..but you are actually in those areas (if that makes any sense haha):confused: graemlins/silly.gif

WDW Railroad is a relaxing way to tour the MK. It is hard to pinpoint exactly why it has such appeal. I guess it has to do with getting to see the MK from a different perspective. I love walking towards the MK gate and seeing and hearing the train at the Main Street Station.

DeDe
05-17-2002, 07:15 AM
The first thing we do, after we check in, is go to Magic Kingdom and ride the train all the way around. Its become a tradition.

MadHatter
05-17-2002, 07:20 AM
Has anyone ever done the "Behind the Steam Trains" Tour?

samanthastanky
05-17-2002, 10:28 AM
I love the Rail Road! It's the first thing I do when I get to the MK. I love the conductor's voice- when I hear it I consider it my official welcome!

Main Street Jim
05-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey MadHatter, I was just going to suggest the same thing smile.gif This tour starts at 7am I believe, and the guests on the tour get to watch the maintenance team get the trains ready for the day back at the "Roundhouse". Then, they get to ride from the Roundhouse up to Main Street for park opening. Guests muct be 10 years old to participate in this tour.

Good way to get to the park early, and see park opening preparations!

Victor Kelly
05-17-2002, 12:02 PM
I guess it it just the feeling of riding on a train old style. The sounds, the bumps, the steam whistle, the bell, and the stations.

We have rode the WDW R/R everytime we have been in the MK. I finally got it on tape last year for the first time.

Besides, it has become a tradition with us too. The Steam boat in Liberty Square and the WDW R/R are great because they ARE NOT E tickets. They are relaxing and they are the only way I feel I connect with Walt. I am a big Model R/R fan. I have had four different layouts, and now I'm planning the biggest 16x12 foot layout.

Have4Boys
05-17-2002, 08:44 PM
"Now boarding..." I love the spiels/announcements, music, and behind the scenes look at the Magic Kingdom. Best of all, the connection with Walt... Last week, my son & his cousin (both six) got to be "assistant conductors" and press the buttons that started the announcements/music. They also got to stand with the conductor in the back and thought they were hot stuff!! Move to the very back if you have a little one who would like this opportunity and don't be afraid to ask. He was such a nice guy!! Disney World is the coolest... :cool: :D graemlins/mickey.gif

Oh, the announcement and music are on the 100 Years of Magic CD available at WDW!!

IndianaDisneyNut
05-17-2002, 09:08 PM
I love it because bot of my grandfathers were railroaders. One came from the West Virginia mountains and the other from Italy. I think of them when I see that train.

wdtrain
05-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Madhatter....me and my Husband have done the Steam Train Tour and it is WONDERFUL!! Probably one of the best bargains at WDW graemlins/muscles.gif He is also a Train Buff and has a model train store. We will probably do it again this December.!!

If you haven't tried this tour... graemlins/notworthy.gif DO IT graemlins/notworthy.gif

Jared
05-17-2002, 10:59 PM
I think the appeal of the railroad is the close tie it has to Walt himself. You can feel Walt's presense on that steam train, which makes it so amazing.

mel
05-17-2002, 11:41 PM
the railroad depot (both of them) is a great place to spot characters. Alot of them come out by the depot at mickeys toontown. We have seen hook, dopey (who is a little hard to spot) and a lot of the others. Happy hunting!!

mickeefan
05-18-2002, 01:13 PM
I would suggest that you take the "Magic Behind the Steam Trains " tour. We just took it in December. Both my wife and I thought it was great.Her only comment was it got a little technical when they described how to fire up their boilers. They met us at the train station where we toured around the park stopping at the roundhouse. We backed in and got to climb aboard one of the engines. Ours was the Lilly Bell.I got some great pictures playing engineer looking out the cab. When we were finished we got a railroad spike to take home with us.

Wayne
05-20-2002, 10:02 AM
For me, the appeal is that the trains are truly authentic. For 3 years, when I was in college (late 70's), I was an engineer on the railroad at Opryland USA in Nashville. We had 2 steamers (a 1910 H.K. Porter from the same Louisiana plantation that 1 of the Disneyland engines was from and a 1920 Vulcan Ironworks engine originally used in the Pennsylvania coal fields). Each engine has its own "personality" and quirks (that's what makes them special). The experience made me a steam train buff.

I'll be taking the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains" tour on 5/30. Won't mind it getting technical at all. Unfortunatly though, DD is only 8 so I'll be touring solo with wife and daughter meeting me on Main Street at the conclusion of the tour.

SpecJoe Magic
05-20-2002, 06:37 PM
How does one get to experience the "Magic Behind the Steam Trains Tour?" Does it cost extra? Where would one go and at what time? Thanks for the info you all. As many times as I've been to WDW, it seems like there is always something different to experience. This Train Tour doesn't seem to be highly publicized.

Disney-4-Me
05-20-2002, 07:05 PM
I think it is a combination of magic and reality. We love the trains because we know they are real steam trains and all of the care Walt Disney took in getting them for all of us to enjoy. And the Magic parts are the views of the different lands from a unique perspective and the sounds. We loved the old song, We're rollin', we're rollin' on the.... luckily I have the whole circuit on tape. I tape it every few years just in case it changes again. Even as my boys get older they never get bored with the trains.

dizneycc
05-20-2002, 10:02 PM
Spec Joe- My DH and I took the tour in late April. You need to make a ressie. Just call CRO and ask for the number for tours. I think it cost about $20-30, plus park admission. They only allow 15-20 people on the tour and only offer it a few days a week. But being in the park before it opens and riding the train to the round house is worth twice that! smile.gif

Main Street Jim
05-21-2002, 12:44 AM
I also forgot to mention something else. Our trains are all named after Disney, with the exception of #3. There's #1 - The Walter E. Disney; #2 is the Lilly Belle (Lillian Disney - Walt's wife); #3 is the Roy O. Disney; and #4 is the Roger Broggie, who helped Walt in building and engineering his own miniature train, the Carolwood Pacific, in his backyard.

If you'd like to see Walt's Carolwood Pacific, check this out:

Carolwood Pacific Society (http://www.carolwood.com/)

Or, for Walt's Disneyland Trains:

Walt's Toy Trains (http://waltstoytrains.railfan.net/#Home)

Check 'em out!

SpecJoe Magic
05-21-2002, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the information, dizneycc and welcome to Intercot. graemlins/mickey.gif