PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Kingdom Tour

JakeontheCob
05-18-2002, 03:42 PM
We are going to WDW in June with my in-laws and they are interested in going on the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour. Has anyone taken this tour? If so, what was it like? How much walking? I ask because my father in law has a bad hip and can only do so much walking. Thanks in advance for any info. ;)

GeorgeOfTheJungle
05-18-2002, 04:07 PM
I am also interested in this tour, so hopefully someone will be able to tell us more about it. ;)

EpcotDave
05-18-2002, 05:46 PM
I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour just a few weeks ago and I would highly recommend it! (I give it three thumbs up) graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The tour is long, about 4 1/2 hours with a break for lunch. Gary, if you dad has trouble walking, the CM will be happy to get a wheelchair for him. On my tour, a lady who could get around OK, but couldn't be on her feet for that long, took a wheelchair. All of the tour is totally accessible.

I won't give away any secrets, but my favoite part of the tour was going behing the scenes to see the floats that are used in the Spectromagic parade. It's just incredible to see all the imagineering that goes into these things. And when you see where the drivers have to sit and what they can see, you can understand why the CM's always keep the street clear of guests.

Take the tour, it's worth the money. Also, when I was there you could get a 15% discount on the cost of the tour if you were staying in a Disney resort and used your American Express card, or you received the same discount if your a Disney Club member or have an annual pass.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
05-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Thanks for posting that! graemlins/clappy.gif I'm going to ask my parents if we can do that next time we go.

Do you know how much it costs, and how far in advance we should make the arrangements? :confused:

Tink19
05-18-2002, 08:27 PM
What is the tour like? do you go on any rides or do they just talk about everything at disney world. More info would be great on the subject b/c i would like to take this some time and i just want to make sure it is worth it..thanks graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

mickeefan
05-18-2002, 09:43 PM
I ditto what Epcot dave says, but it is a lot of walking and we were quite tired at the end. Also we are both in our 60's.We enjoyed the tour very much and just to add to Dave's you get a Keys to the Magic Kingdom Pin, which is the only place you can get them. I think you will be very pleased.

imported_PolyGirl40
05-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by GeorgeOfTheJungle:

Do you know how much it costs, and how far in advance we should make the arrangements? You should call 407.WDW.TOUR for reservations. Space is limited. Call between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday and 8:00am to 5:00pm on weekends and holidays. Keys to the Kingdom is offered daily at 8:30, 9:30 & 10:00am and 1:30pm. The Tour starts at City Hall just inside the Magic Kingdom Main Entrance.

Participants must be 16 years of age or older. Reservations with a credit card is required. There is a 48 hour cancellation policy for a full refund. The cost is $58 each AND Admission to the Magic Kingdom is required.

Our very own member Timbo, just provided a excellent trip report detailing the Tour. Check it out if you want to know even more.

Timbo's Report -- Saved by the CM, Robs-a-plenty, and Touring the World (http://www.intercot.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=002777)

smile.gif

Sorcerer
05-19-2002, 10:51 AM
I personally have never taken the tour, but have heard only great things about it. It last from 6 to 8 hours, with a break in the middle. I would assume a wheel chair would be available and certainly needed for you father-in-law. Most people are fascinated by the underground tunnels of the MK and all the tidbits of information that is passed on.

EpcotDave
05-19-2002, 05:46 PM
To answer Tink19's question, you do get to ride two attractions during the tour, Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise. The Haunted Masion is neat because they take you in through a private hallway where CM's typically come and go. In wonderful Disney fashion, even the hallway is themed to match the HM. The CM leading the tour will tell you about three hidden Mickeys that you can see in the attraction. It's fun to try to see all of them while riding. On the Jungle Cruise you also get to "cut the line" and have a boat just for the tour guests. The CM will tell you how the boats run on a track in the water with a horizontally attached tire on the bottom of the boat keeping things in line. Also, the water on the Jungle Cruise is very shallow. They add brown dye to the water so that the guests can't see the bottow. All the animals that you see in the water actually entend only a few inches below the surface. It's kinda funny to thing what the elephants might look like if the water was down a few inches. And by the way, the waterfall on the Jungle Cruise is where the dye is added and used to mix it up in the water. Also the boats are run early every morning before the park opens to churn up the dye that separates to the bottom of the water. All the stuff on the tour was REALLY neat. Don't miss it! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

mcgoof
05-20-2002, 11:31 PM
we heard its was a great tour so we are
doing it on june 7th cant wait!!!! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

Fantasmic
05-21-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by EpcotDave:
To answer Tink19's question, you do get to ride two attractions during the tour, Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise. I've Done the KTTK tour 3 times (98, 99, 2001) and not once have I rode the Jungle Cruise on it. What attractions are ridden are usually based on how busy the parks are, but the HM is always ridden :D

It's well worth taking the 1:30 tour, I got a free meal into the bargin when I done that in June 2001 !