PDA

View Full Version : Attraction of the Week -- Snow White’s Scary Adventures

PolyGirl40
11-04-2001, 07:24 AM
I was a bit apprehensive about taking my youngest on Snow White's Scary Adventures. I had read it was scary and dark. He absolutely loved it.

I only wish we saw more of the Dwarfs. I can understand the warnings. That witch is ugly! http://www.intercot.com/boards/eek.gif Thank goodness my kids have always been able to decipher a good scare, from a bad scare. This attraction is a *must do* for us.

------------------
Carol, aka PolyGirl40
INTERCOT (http://www.intercot.com/default.asp) Staff Member
[email protected]

Planning a trip to Central Florida? Let Ibex Towncar (http://www.ibextowncar.com/) meet you at the airport!

Click Here (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/) for a Disney Vacation Quote.

Visit the INTERCOT Store (http://www.intercot.com/store/default.asp).

* "What I hear I forget, what I see I remember, What I do - I learn" *

Jared
11-04-2001, 07:47 AM
In my mind, Snow White is one of the strangest attractions in WDW. I always wonder- who is this designed for? It is lame for the preteen and up set (especially after riding Peter Pan or Pooh) and it is too scary for toddlers. So who enjoys this ride? Well I do, because I like basically every ride. Snow White may be old, but it doesn't show its age as some of the other older attractions do. The witch sure is ugly, I am still always jump when the queen is looking in her mirror, and then turns around suddenly as the mean old witch lady. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
-Jared
BEWARE OF THE ZOOGS

1/91- 3 years old- Off Site
1/96- 8 years old- Port Orleans
2/00- 12 years old- Off Site
2/01- 13 years old- Off Site
Projected WDW Trips: 5/02 and 12/02 :)

JPL
11-04-2001, 10:48 AM
The one thing most people miss about this attraction is that the rider is actually suppose to be Snow White. I heard an interview with Marc Davis saying Walt wanted guests to put themselves into the Character so evryone had a chance to be a character. . They further confused this by adding her to the ride because people conplained she wasn't seen in the ride.

------------------
Jeff (aka JPL)
Intercot Staff:
Theme Parks/Characters
[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

We go on...to the joy and through the tears
We go on...to discover new frontiers
Moving on...with the courage of the years
We go on...moving forward now as one
We go on...with a spirit born to run
Moving on...with each rising sun to a new day...

EvaBryan
11-04-2001, 11:25 AM
Bryan and I think this ride is hilarious.

It is kind of dumb, I guess, compared to the other Fantasyland attractions. The others seem so whimsical and well-done (we love Peter Pan and Pooh) and this one seems like a cheaper funhouse ride.

The witch is scary - I can imagine little ones being terrified by her.

------------------
We're going to Disney World!!!!!

December 7 - 18, 2001
First Anniversary Trip
Sheraton Vistana Villages and Wilderness Lodge

brownie
11-04-2001, 11:55 AM
My wife and I went on this for the first time on our last trip. We thought it was interesting, but didn't think our 4 year old would have any problems with it if he had been with us.

I do think Peter Pan was done better.

------------------
Steve
Sep 94 BC
Apr 00 ASMV
Oct 01 POFQ/ASMV

Jennib
11-04-2001, 05:04 PM
I love this ride just because I love snow white but I can understand how little ones could be scared. They should put more scenes with the dwarfs!! but I still love it!

------------------
jenni b

" if you can shape it in your mind, you can find it in your life."

DisneyWizard
11-04-2001, 06:58 PM
I love Snow White - it's not a must ride for me, but I have yet to go on a WDW vacation without riding it - the line is always short and it's worth the 0 minute wait. I think it's very imaginative and interesting!

------------------
-Casey
(Kc, Wizzy, DizWiz)

Meet me (http://www.intercot.com/boards/Forum7/HTML/000273.html) in the Midwest!

"We go on... to the joy and through the tears
We go on... to discover new frontiers
Moving on... with the current of the years
We go on... moving forward now as one
We go on... with a spirit born to run
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day..."

mtk23
11-04-2001, 07:04 PM
My daughters went on this ride for the first time during our last visit. They hadn't been on it before because I had seen it when I was a kid and I didn't think it was a "must-see" ride like some of the others. Well, they had read in one of the guide books that this ride was kind of scary for little kids, and they were really apprehensive about it. I kept telling them that it wouldn't be scary for 8-year-olds, but they didn't believe me, and they kept their eyes closed for the entire ride! Then, they were upset because they missed it. So of course we went on again and they really enjoyed it! Even though it isn't a "must-see" in my opinion like Peter Pan (which I could ride over and over again without getting tired of it), it's still fun. I suppose I have a small prejudice against Snow White, since she's the wimpiest Disney princess and takes no active role at all in her own future. I like Belle - she's smart as well as pretty, and can take care of herself! http://www.intercot.com/boards/supergrin.gif

------------------
TTFN...ta ta for now

7/81 off-site
8/88 off-site
7/95 All Star Music
4/00 Caribbean Beach
3/01 All Star Movies

mickclub1955
11-04-2001, 07:04 PM
I rode this ride for the first time when I was 3 back in May 1972. I screamed my head off. The Old Hag really scared me to death. I went back when I was ten and loved it. Was sad to see it change. I know that Disney needs to keep updating and improving their rides. I like the new one also with the happy ending. It does go along more with the story and they did tone it down a bit. Hopefully now some three year old will not get the scared out of them.

------------------
"There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and dreams that we could possibly imagine."-Walt Disney

faline
11-05-2001, 07:20 AM
I never go to DW without going on this ride at least once! Dopey is my favorite character.

------------------

roses
11-05-2001, 08:19 AM
I liked this ride! I didn't think it was lame at all...

------------------
Rose
When you wish upon a star....

I'm going to disney world!

Roland
11-05-2001, 02:26 PM
I get the biggest kick out of this ride and do it at least once every visit. I laugh because it is so blah, but at the same time, I wondered if this didn't scare the heck out of the kids. All in all, I have fun, so that is a good thing.

------------------
My post are purely fictional. Any resemblance to Intercotees are purely coincidental. My name has been changed to protect my wife.

'92 - August, Disneyland
'96 - April, Wilderness Lodge
'97 - October, offsite
'98 - Sept., Dixie Landings
'99 - Sept., Wilderness Lodge
'00 - Sept., Wilderness Lodge
'00 - Oct., All Sports
'01 - Jan., All Sports
'01 - May Wilderness Lodge
'01 - July All-Sports
'01 - Sept. CBR/Poly

JanetMegan
11-05-2001, 02:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EvaBryan:

The witch is scary - I can imagine little ones being terrified by her.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Little kids? You have to practically drag me on this one, I don't like that nasty witch!

------------------
Janet, aka JanetMegan
[email protected]
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Staff Member

All you need is love...

Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of it's sorrows.
It empties today of it's strength.

JPL
11-05-2001, 05:58 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JanetMegan:

Little kids? You have to practically drag me on this one, I don't like that nasty witch!

<hr></blockquote>

I can vouch for that statement she was terrified at the Odyssey in June of course me scaring her didn't really help the situation :thedevil:

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: JPL ]</p>

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
11-07-2001, 07:37 PM
We tolerate this attraction because "The Boss" enjoys it. (She is 4, what do you expect?) But I think it could really be something special with a little rehab. It would be the next one on my official list. graemlins/mickey.gif

harlowandthemermaid
11-08-2001, 12:50 AM
It does kind of have that "funhouse" ride feeling...like if you took away the snow white aspect it reminds me of a ride that used to be on the Ocean city boardwalk. I still like it, but when I have to choose I usually will ride Peter pan first.

JimmyC
11-08-2001, 07:27 AM
I hate to say it, but this ride is a graemlins/sleepin.gif for me. I don't hate it, but me an my wife stopped going on it because it made us sleepy.

At least I can make fun of IASW and point out all the graemlins/devil_smile.gif weapons and brain scramblers to other riders.

Snow White I just have to sit there.

rdraughn
11-08-2001, 12:45 PM
My daughter absolutely LOVES Snow White so I'm sure we'll ride it on the next trip. I prefer Peter Pan too, but SWCA is a nice compliment. Our last trip, I took my daughter on it not exactly knowing what it was. (I think I had missed it in my previous trips) She was 2 and it scared her. The fact that it was her 2nd ride ever at WDW didn't help matters. She didn't really care for any dark rides after that.

She has seen the ride on home video since and can't wait.

MrGoofy
11-08-2001, 01:03 PM
Speaking of Snow White, are the rides at DL and WDW different? I was at DL last month and thought that SW was very different and better than what I remember from WDW. Maybe my mind is failing. Someone please help! graemlins/crazy.gif

mickclub1955
11-09-2001, 06:19 AM
Yes I have found that the rides are a bit different at DL than at WDW. The differences are only slight though. I luv peter pan's flight at at DL. The special effects are awesome. Also Mr. Toad is great also. You feel the heat in hell where when it was at WDW you did not. graemlins/thedolls.gif

AndrewJackson
11-09-2001, 07:14 AM
Let's all remember that the movie the ride is based on made the company know as the Walt Disney Co. As a tribute to the guts it took Walt and Roy and the rest of the company to produce this film, I hope it is one that never leaves. However, if they can re-name a boat named after Walt's wife (The Empress Lilly) then I supposed they could do about anything.

Disney2002
11-11-2001, 12:04 AM
I agree that Snow White is indeed the oddest ride at Disney (that is, ever since they closed Twenty-Thousand Leagues... oh, I can feel the claustrophobia now... *shutter*). Granted, the storybook rides still have the same appeal now as they did when I was 5.

I personally think the Snow White ride reveals something about human nature. (I promise not to get to philosophical here). Think about one of the over-riding themes in American entertainment -- fear. The Haunted Mansion, The Tower of Terror, Alien Encounter, Segments of the Great Movie Ride... if you step back... they're all pretty twisted froms of "fun" (and all are in my list of favorites).

I think Disney has a full understanding of this concept... and Snow White is a kid's version... test the limits of your fear. And, as a previous poster stated, children are better at distinguishing good scary from bad scary than we sometimes think.

That's my 2 cents worth.

JabberJaws
11-12-2001, 12:26 PM
Must admit i Love this one too! I was actually caught by suprise and scared a few times! Very well done rehab to the old version!

Bluecoat89
11-15-2001, 07:18 AM
I also like this ride. I was always taken by supprise by the gator loggs, as they kept coming closer.

Can we list out some of the changes made to this ride? I remember that the queen used to look out a window on the left side, and you could see her from the line. What were some other changes?