PDA

View Full Version : Attraction of the Week -- Jungle Cruise

imported_PolyGirl40
11-12-2001, 08:27 AM
This is another nostalgic attraction for me.
I’m seeing a pattern here. graemlins/thumbsup.gif
My husband feels the same way. Although his memories are of his Father.

I never experienced WDW until I was an adult -- with children. Everything was so new and fresh for me. I had read about the Jungle Cruise in the various travel books. Many previous guests felt it was corny.

My son was a toddler at the time. He absolutely adored the cruise. He giggled so loudly trying to avoid the elephant’s trickle. I cannot go to the Magic Kingdom -- without seeing the Jungle Cruise at least once.

If we’re lucky we’ll get a fantastic CM. How can you not love the silly river guides?

graemlins/mickey.gif

Jared
11-12-2001, 09:07 AM
It's true, you can't not love Jungle Cruise, especially when you get a good skipper! I remember this attraction for the first time, not in a park, but in this old video I have called Disneyland Fun. I got it when I was 4 or 5 and it was a singalong video, and for one of the songs, these kids and Donald Duck went on Jungle Cruise. I decided I had to do it when I went to WDW later that year. I always make a point of seeing it at least once.

P.S. Anyone ever try it at night? It's a different experience. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

roses
11-12-2001, 09:18 AM
Never thought of it at night. Interesting idea. Might have to try that one out. I like the Jungle Cruise...some of those skippers just crack me up! They are so funny!

Disneywarrior
11-12-2001, 09:35 AM
I love the JC! It is also a very nostalgic ride for me. My favorite part of the ride is going through the temple. I have ridden it at night and it is a different experience.

faline
11-12-2001, 09:37 AM
I never experienced JC until I was an adult either. When we planned our first trip to DW, I couldn't wait to do this ride. I feel as though I had grown up with images of this ride - watching all the DL specials on tv which always seemed to feature this ride. In fact, I think I expected so much from this ride that I was actually disappointed in it the first time I rode it. Over time, though, I have really grown to appreciate the ride - corny jokes and all. It's a classic and a favorite.

rbriskey
11-12-2001, 09:42 AM
I went on JC at night at Disneyland about two years ago. It was really cool, and was a whole different experience. It's pretty dark out there, the skipper has a floodlight to illuminate the scenes. I haven't been on JC "hundreds" of times, so I don't have the ride memorized, so the scenes seemed to jump out--I think the darkness greatly added to the effect. I would recommend JC at night. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mtk23
11-12-2001, 07:11 PM
I love this ride too! It's another one of the rides that reminds me of my very first trip to WDW when I was 8, just over 20 years ago. I don't remember a whole lot from that trip, but the Jungle Cruise, the Tiki Room, and sitting on the curb on Main St waiting for the Electrical Parade are some of my memories. I also love the theming of the queue area for the Jungle cruise.

I really enjoy the Attraction of the Week posts! Thanks Polygirl!

EvaBryan
11-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Best time to ride is nighttime. It is funny during the day, but everyone seems goofier at nighttime.

I remember seeing this ride in a book when I was a kid and I thought those laughing elephants were real.

Samantha
11-12-2001, 07:57 PM
Hey, I am going to strongly agree with everyone! Since i was little, this has been quite a favorite of mine! smile.gif !! The skippers are great, and the ride is fun, I think it is over taken now by Animal Kingdom :( .. because it the Safari has real animals. and I am not the firrst to say that.. but the JC is still a lovable favorite!!! graemlins/mickey.gif

Disney2002
11-13-2001, 12:45 AM
Has anyone else found the lines at the Jungle Cruise are always extremely long. I've been on it only once in all of my trips to the park... sometimes it's over 2 hours!!

mickeyd
11-13-2001, 12:54 AM
When I was at WDW last November, i never waited for more than 10min for any ride on the entire property EXCEPT for the Jungle Cruise. We had a 35 - 40 min wait and that was during the parade!

While I loved the Jungle Cruise, I couldn't figure out why there was such a huge line compared to all the other attractions. I mean, it not the most spectacular attraction, especially with AK.

I concluded that the lines are a product of a slow loading attraction with limited capacity that also happens to be a sentimental favorite with everyone. smile.gif

AndrewJackson
11-13-2001, 01:38 PM
There is no doubt the skipper makes or breaks this one. Of all the times I have been on it, I have only had one bad skipper.

The funniest time was a couple of years ago when my daughters diaper leaked on my wifes lap, she was almost 2 at the time (my daughter not my wife.) How can I say this tastefully... it was solid. graemlins/ack.gif Needless to say the skipper had to ad-lib, but did a great job with it.

Bluecoat89
11-14-2001, 07:41 PM
This is a classic. I try to ride this first if entering on a non-early entry day. And then ride again at night. The line is always long, but it seems to move. At night, it seems to be very dark and spooky.

No one has every been able to tell me what makes the music in the cave nor provide an MP3 of it. So if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can lend a hand, please do.

ThisKnee
11-16-2001, 08:40 PM
I love JC. We rode at night in August and there were only a few of us on the boat, and they were freinds of the skipper, travelling from Tallahassee. We got the Jungle Curise "Bash Florida State" version of the ride. It was really cool graemlins/thumbsup.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

snmthecloser
11-16-2001, 10:32 PM
I have never been on Jungle Cruise. I have only been to WDW and I didn't do all that much. I am going again in May, and I am going to do all of these great attractions! graemlins/mickey.gif

MickeyMoose15
11-17-2001, 01:51 PM
"I told them to break camp but I guess they broke about everything I own."

:D :D :D :D

"Yeah, he's the head sales man. He's running a special...two of his heads for one of yours. It's a pretty good deal either way you look at it."

miasmom
11-17-2001, 04:38 PM
Jungle Cruise is positively one of my favorites! But I have a unusual situation in my family. My DD (6 1/2 years old) for some reason is afraid to go on! I cannot figure out why a wild girl who loves wild attractions (she is looking forward to trying Test Track when we go in 2 weeks) would be afraid of the cruise?

She understands that the animals are not real (although live animals don't scare her, they just bore her.) Oh well - - maybe I'll be lucky on this upcoming trip and convince her to get on the first of what I hope will be many JC trips for her.

MNNHFLTX
11-17-2001, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I love the JC for nostalgic reasons too! I grew up with the old "Wonderful World Disney" on TV every Sunday night and the opening scenes always had footage of the portion of the JC where the elephants are squirting water at the boat. Does anyone else remember that? Of course, that footage had to have been from Disneyland, but when we finally went to Disney World and went on JC--I felt like I was visiting an old friend! graemlins/mickey.gif

DisneyWizard
11-17-2001, 06:52 PM
The only thing this ride needs is a shorter line! I love it. It's a classic for me, too.

MickeyMoose15
11-17-2001, 08:53 PM
THANK GOD FOR FASTPASS!

Jillpie
11-17-2001, 09:38 PM
This ride is directly related to my childhood. It is one of my very few memories of being a mere 3 yr. old at DisneyLand, Ca. It had to be one of the first things I had to go and see on my first trip to Disneyworld 4 years ago. My biggest memory are the elephants raising their trunks. Just goes to show that you really do have great memories as a really small child. Great post Carol! smile.gif