PDA

View Full Version : Attraction of the Week 12/30 -- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

imported_PolyGirl40
12-30-2001, 07:03 AM
”One stormy night long ago, five people stepped in the door of an elevator and into a nightmare. That door is opening once again and this time, it's opening for you." :eek:

I confess; I was able to escape the torture of this attraction until my youngest reached the height requirement in March. graemlins/doubleeek.gif

All I can say is; “Wow!”. I was so dang petrified. graemlins/laughing.gif I didn’t want to scare Shayne so I kept my anxiety all bottled up. When we reached the bell man at the library...............Whoa! Was he freaky. What a fantastic job this guy did. He had the biggest bug eyes I’ve ever seen. Boy did he take advantage of that asset. (insert heebie-jeebies here!)

I am now a proud survivor of the Tower of Terror. graemlins/silly.gif Needless to say - once was enough for all of us. My little dude got the T-shirt - when it was Mom that really deserved it. graemlins/thumbsup.gif I felt like such an idiot being so afraid.

I’m glad I went. Of course I should mention my little daredevil can’t wait to venture beyond the deepest, darkest corner of his imagination again in February. :eek:

I have a phobia of heights. Hence, my lack of enthusiasm for dropping in this elevator. Did you have to force yourself to take the first plunge?

graemlins/muscles.gif

Jared
12-30-2001, 07:55 AM
I have to tell the truth about this, I have yet to take the plunge. graemlins/blush.gif I am so scared of so many coasters and such, that going on ToT seems ridiculous! Judging by all the praise it gets around here, especially in a post just a week or so ago, I am planning on riding RnRC first (something else I have never done) and depending on how that goes, ToT comes next! graemlins/doubleeek.gif

MKPlutoGuy
12-30-2001, 08:43 AM
Jared?? :eek: graemlins/doubleeek.gif I have taken the plunge a few times, and loved it every single time! Not only does is the actual drop great, but I love the special affects before it. You ride the elavator up, and then o out. One of the best thrill rides I have been on! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

andywicks
12-30-2001, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I just couldn't help re-posting this from a previous thread!:

I would just like to say that I rate the Tower of Terror as the best ride in the world!
..Walt Disney World that is! (and probably everywhere else as well!)
I never tire of it!

Maybe its:
...the outside of the hotel and hearing the screems as the shutters open every few seconds..?

..the creepy hotel lobby that reminds me of the Pennsilvania Hotel in New York (only cleaner!)

..or the spooky twighlight zone introduction?

..or could it be the scary cast members (that really should get out and into the sun more!)?

..or the air of anticipation, as you get seated, knowing that some of the people in the elevator have never ridden the ride before and are totally spooked!

..or sitting next to a really large person and knowing that you'll get to leave your seat even more!!?

..or holding my hands in the air to get the full PULL DOWN EFFECT!!!!?

..or hearing the screams of the first-timers as their stomachs bounce between their mouths and their seats!?

graemlins/muscles.gif <- this guy does a good impression of the ride experience!!!

..or looking at the photos of shocked faces afterwards?

..or running around to have another go?

Whatever it is! Its one heck of a great ride / all round experience! ..and I love it! ..hope you all do too! See you in the twighlight zone in January!

..any challengers for best WDW ride?

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: PolyGirl40 ]</p>

aprilzw
12-30-2001, 02:29 PM
Just had to add I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ToT - I can't wait until I can take my own son on with me. He's only 3 - and is a shorty, at that. If he was close, I would be tempted to stuff his shoes with a stack of papertowels to give him a few inches! He's a daredevil just like his mom! graemlins/mickey.gif

Fantasmic
12-30-2001, 04:31 PM
I love the TOT
When I first went on it, I wasn't hesitant at all !!!! but then, I'm a thrill ride junkie graemlins/muscles.gif

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Fantasmic ]</p>

WDW*pr*Freak
12-30-2001, 06:12 PM
You guys won't beleive this. I am teenager (I am suposed to like thrills) but I got really scared of the ToT. I didn't rode it and I am not sure if I will have the guts to ride someday. Does anyone have any tips on how to take over your fears and ride the ToT???? I really wana ride it but the drop its what scares me!

C-ya
ERIC graemlins/mickey.gif

Stage15 Aerogirl
12-31-2001, 03:33 AM
The first time that I attempted to ride the ToT, my daughter chickened out right before we sat down on the elevator. I have to admit that I was a little pleased that she did (I was having second thoughts.), and I eagerly assisted her to the gift shop while my other family members rode it. Afterwards they met us and was beaming from excitedness, so I had to see what it was all about. I am terrified of heights. I can't even climb a small ladder (no joke). Well, I was feeling brave because I had just conquered my beloved RnRC, so I decided to try it. I was so nervous. I had a grip on the lap bar like you wouldn't believe. When it got dark, I didn't know when it would drop, so I was holding on tight just in case. The worst part of this ride is the anticipation of that first drop. That will kill you if you let it. Anyway, I ended up loving it and riding it nine more times.

andywicks
12-31-2001, 03:53 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Does anyone have any tips on how to take over your fears and ride the ToT???? I really wana ride it but the drop its what scares me!

C-ya
ERIC graemlins/mickey.gif [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Hey Eric, TOT really is not that bad! You cannot get hurt, you are strapped in and the experience is nowhere near as intense as rides like the Rock'N'Rollercoaster! The actual up and down section only lasts maybe 20 seconds!

Yes, many people scream, becuase it is an exhilerating experience, but it really is not frightening to ride! I reckon once you've taken the plunge wou will be hooked!

..give it a try! ..even if you chicken out at the last moment, you can tell the CMs at the door to the elevator and leave without any major embarassement!

faline
12-31-2001, 07:01 AM
One of the best rides in DW. I'm generally terified of roller coasters (though I have gone on both RnRC and SM) but this ride never frightened me at all. On the other hand, my DH couldn't drag me on the coasters at Busch Gardens in Virginia! Now, those are scary! graemlins/doubleeek.gif

Beach Club Babe
12-31-2001, 04:07 PM
I love this ride. Of all the different times I've ridden, the last has to be the best. We were there in August with friends. My whole family loves TOT but the other family had never done it. After finally getting the mother and daughter on we finally convinced the father to do it. He was absolutely terrified, but we dragged him kicking and screaming. Well he did not like the ride and was really scared. When we went to check out the picture it was way too funny. The scared one had been screaming his head off and we had all been laughing. The picture did not look that way though. It looked liked the rest of us were scared out of our minds, but the guy who really was scared looked totally bored. Of course we bought two copies.

MNNHFLTX
12-31-2001, 04:38 PM
graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/doubleeek.gif graemlins/doubleeek.gif
ToT is a great ride! The first time you go on it the first drop takes your breath away, but after that it's pure enjoyment. I went on it four times in a row last October when there weren't any lines (although the Standby Line Timer said there were the customary "13 minutes" of waiting!)

In fact, we had the funniest experience during one of those rides. A couple from England was getting on with their little girl; she looked to be about 8-years-old. They sat behind us on the elevator and the little girl was so soft-spoken during the pre-drop part of the ride. What a surprise once the drops started! That little girl let out the loudest, most blood-curdling screams I have ever heard and they didn't stop until the elevator stopped dropping. I think she was a little embarassed afterwards, but we told her that screaming on ToT just makes the ride more fun! (Incidentally, she did enjoy the ride too!) smile.gif

LittleSpirit02
12-31-2001, 05:52 PM
TOT is probably my favorite ride aside from POTC. I used to be terrified of rollercoasters and pretty much any thrill ride really. But one summer when I was on vacation in WDW (1999 to be exact) - I was determined to go on TOT. I completely came over my fear that summer. I went on every rollercoaster (including RnRc) as well as Tower of Terror (3 or 4 times IN A ROW). :D The vacation was one of the best I have EVER had. Lord of the Dance in WDW, TOT, POTC, it was awesome. To all those to scared to ride TOT - try it! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Figment!
01-01-2002, 02:26 AM
BEST ATTRACTION EVER!!!!!!

-Best Thrill

-Best Story Line Intertwine

-Best Pre-show themeing

-Best Show Themeing

-Best use of effects and technology

(well, atleast in my opinon)

disneydeb
01-01-2002, 11:23 AM
I liken the physical effects of this ride to a car ride down hill at a high rate of speed. Where one may feel as if their stomach was left at the top. We LOVE it. It is my older daughter's favorite.
Have a Disney Day! graemlins/clappy.gif
graemlins/mickey.gif Deb graemlins/mickey.gif

bywheel
01-01-2002, 11:57 AM
I to, am afraid of heights, but I just had to go on the TofT. I was scared the first time but now it is always one of the first rides I go on. Someone told me if you put a penny on you knee, it will look like its floating when the picture gets taken. I've never done it because all I keep hearing in my mind is my mother: its all fun and games til someone gets their eye poked out! graemlins/sick.gif

LittleSpirit02
01-01-2002, 12:53 PM
hehe. I wanna try it. I know it works with some rollercoasters with tennis balls and stuff(not from doing it myself though). I wanna try it - never would have the courage too (just incase it flew at someone - OUCH!). Maybe try it with a koosh ball or something? Let it go right before the drop? Better be quick to catch it though. hehe. graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif :rolleyes: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! It's 2002! graemlins/party.gif

DisneyWizard
01-01-2002, 03:32 PM
This is one of my favorites. I was up and ready for the challenge when I went on it for the first time. But, like Amy, I'm a rail junkie so it wasn't a sweat.

I was very surprised to see all of the interesting special effects. I had thought (way back when) it was just a "go up and come down" thing.

John has gotten me hooked on the seatbelt seat now...

brer frog
01-01-2002, 04:03 PM
just a heads up, i love rnrc but i can't stand tot. don't know why but.... it's just on of those things.

SpecJoe Magic
01-02-2002, 03:28 PM
My favorite attraction in MGM and quite possibly the best overall attraction in WDW. An imagineering feat in both the actual ride and the theming. This is one of the best theming jobs of any attraction on Earth. The feeling of being inside a deserted hotel on the dark side of Hollywood and being dropped into the Twilight Zone creates great excitement. WDW magic at its best. graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

Tower of Terror inspired the quote that is in my signature.

I got to ride in the seatbelt seat for the first time ever last Sunday and it is now my favorite seat in the elevator.
[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: SpecJoe Magic ]

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: SpecJoe Magic ]</p>

Pongo
01-02-2002, 04:00 PM
After having to be talked into going on this and being terrified - it ended up being my favorite ride at WDW. I am so happy that DCA is getting this ride and I don't have to wait to return to FL.

LittleSpirit02
01-02-2002, 04:22 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SpecJoe Magic:
[QB]
I got to ride in the seatbelt seat for the first time ever last Sunday and it is now my favorite seat in the elevator.
\QB]<hr></blockquote>

The seatbelt seat is GREAT. I was lucky enough to ride in my last trip to WDW which was my goal for the trip. Since you don't really choose your seat I was really hoping to get it and I did! YAY! Got the picture evidence too. hehe.
graemlins/laughing.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

SMG
01-02-2002, 04:52 PM
My stomach is STILL on the top floor!! graemlins/sick.gif But I'll ride again! I will not be afraid, I will not be afraid graemlins/silly.gif

DisneyHog
01-02-2002, 07:24 PM
This ride is not as bad as some of you think. Sure, I can understand a little anticipation, but there is nothing here to be afraid of. ToT is the BEST ride I have ever been on, and I have been on my fair share. Everything about this ride is a winner, the drop itself is great, the theming is second to none, the special effects are incredible, I could go on all day. Bottom line, go on the ride one time, if you don't like it, fine, now you know, but my guess is that you will love it, and be soooooooo happy you finally did it! :D

graemlins/mickey.gif

Dawn
01-03-2002, 04:25 AM
I hate it. I hate it so much that everytime I'm in MGM Studios I have to ride it to remind myself just how bad it is. graemlins/blush.gif It's the waiting for the first drop that does me, once we're falling I'm fine, but that wait.......... graemlins/crazy.gif

MNNHFLTX
01-03-2002, 11:35 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LittleSpirit02:
The seatbelt seat is GREAT. I was lucky enough to ride in my last trip to WDW which was my goal for the trip. Since you don't really choose your seat I was really hoping to get it and I did! YAY! Got the picture evidence too.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, we've found most CM's on ToT and other rides will try to accomodate a seat request (within reason). It may mean that you have to wait a turn or two to get the seat you want, but we've learned that it's well worth it on certain rides. So don't be afraid to ask for that seatbelt seat on ToT--it never hurts to ask and you probably will get it! smile.gif

roses
01-04-2002, 09:16 AM
ToT is my favorite ride! It has awesome theming and great effects! I can't say enough about this ride. Its great all around. I love the suspense before the drop...I just love this ride. The CM's of this ride (like the Haunted Mansion) are great at role playing. Disney has done another great job with yet another fantastic ride! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

3Btwinmom
01-04-2002, 11:19 AM
I love this ride. The few seconds right before the drop makes me scared silly! We always ride it first thing in the morning. Small breakfast day. graemlins/sick.gif

Sportster
01-04-2002, 12:15 PM
I absolutely love this ride...the best part is when you go forward, then...you'll have to ride it for yourself to find out! Istill can't get my wife or younger daughter to ride on it. Me and older daughter love it! graemlins/notworthy.gif
Can't wait to ride it again, and again...

mickey24m
01-04-2002, 12:25 PM
I can't wait to go on TOT this weekend! It is my favorite ride in mgm apart from the great movie ride.I liked it before with the longer drops but now you go up and down up and down...well you get the idea graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: mickey24m ]</p>

EeyoreGurl
01-04-2002, 09:49 PM
I absolutely LOVE ToT! :D The first time I went on it my Dad had to bribe me on with a souvenir t-shirt, but boy was it ever worth it! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I love how they put you in the mood first and how you're anticipating the drop for the whole ride. The first time I went on I thought you just get on and it drops so I was holding onto the safety bar for dear life! After that I was totally hooked! I don't even remember how many times I've been on it since then. This March we're coming back for the first time on 5 years and this time we're bringing 4 people that have never been to Disney World before. I can't wait to take them on this ride!!! :D :D :D

Dawn S
01-06-2002, 12:31 AM
graemlins/mickey.gif Pardon me while I jump right on in with my 2 cents here (newbie in action...make way!). I am a baby when it comes to thrill rides of any kind. However, I LOVE ToT! It took some persuading to get me on for my first drop, but once I did it, I couldn't be kept off of it! I still get nervous every trip before "boarding" LOL, but it is such a rush...the only thrill ride I will EVER do more than once & the BEST attraction at WDW!!! (IMHO)
Dawn