PDA

View Full Version : What's in those backpacks?

Marker
11-27-2001, 02:41 PM
On our last couple of visits, we couldn't help but notice all the people carrying fairly large backpacks with them in the parks. To us they seemed like such an inconvenience. They make getting on rides difficult, they make a hot August day even hotter. And more often than not, they seemed rather full and heavy.

I don't get it. Do these folks have so much stuff that they "have" to keep with them that they really "need" such a large container?

I only carried a small water bottle and thought that was a nuisance.

Please enlighten me.

imported_PolyGirl40
11-27-2001, 03:01 PM
I'm a Mom -- that should explain a lot. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Inside our backpack you'll find a water bottle, granola bar, fruit snack, 4 ponchos, a sweatshirt for the little one, camera, 2 way radio, wallet, a comb, lip stick, band-aids, wet naps & general meds. :D

DisneyTeen
11-27-2001, 03:02 PM
I bring a backback with me, it just has some drinks and some food so you do not have to spend alot of money in the park. Also camaras and other things could go in it too...it is just a money saver I guess.

Ed
11-27-2001, 03:34 PM
Well, we usually carry a small backpack when one or more of the grandkids are with us, and it usually contains: Camcorder, one extra tape, and extra charged battery Extra socks for us and kids WetOnes to clean up after Mickey Bars graemlins/tasty.gif A rolled-up medium size trash bag to hold our shoes and socks while we're on wet rides Sunscreen 2 or 3 disposable diapers if one of the little guys still uses them A few granola bars or similar snacks Disposable rain ponchos for each of us (when potentially needed)

Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Most of the time, I'm carrying the camcorder around my neck, so the backpack is relatively light.
________
XS-1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XS-1)

tiggertoottfn
11-27-2001, 03:41 PM
Well, let's see. We had our camera, our daughter's camera, a video camera, water for all 3 of us, snacks, sandwiches every day, ponchos, a jacket and change of clothes for the rugrat, pins and lanyards (uncomfortable to wear them all day), wallet, autograph book and pen, DW's insulin and other medication, sunscreen.

I think that's about it. As you can see there is a lot we couldn't do without and the rest we didn't want to be without. DD is 3, so there are things we had to have that we won't need as she gets older. I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to carry the big backpack anymore, but since we will probably be having another child before our next trip ditching the backpack is probably a long way off still. graemlins/mike.gif

mktiggerman
11-27-2001, 03:43 PM
When I carry my backpack, it's set up so I can bring my life with me (Disney isn't where I go to get away from it all.. that's Vegas. Disney is where I live :D ) I carry a Casio Cassiopeia EM500, Palm M105, Cellphone, headphones, digital camera (YES!! I FINALLY REPLACED MINE!), 2 128MB MMD Cards, and a Poncho. Sometimes, I'll forgo the 2 PDA's, and bring my early Xmas present, a Sony VAIO laptop, since it's barely bigger than the 2 PDA's side by side.

claysmom
11-27-2001, 04:09 PM
Let's see - in our backpack we have the schedule I make each trip complete with our priority seating numbers, a video camera, a digital camera, our regular camera, diapers, wipes, a water bottle, a stuffed Mickey Mouse, fruit snacks and other kid bribes, ponchos (if it looks like rain), a pen and autograph book, the sweatshirts we shed as the day warms up and various purchaces from around the park. The backpack does get heavy, so we usually put it in the stoller and hook it over an ankle on the rides. It also contains our "kid leash" for when he gets tired of the stroller. We don't like to waste time going back to the hotel we make out kid sleep in the stroller or at the Hall of Presidents. :)

Before we had a kid, we tied the sweatshirts around our waists and carried one small camera.

LauraSAnne
11-27-2001, 05:33 PM
Speaking of backbacks...if you do happen to take some snacks, perhaps a sandwhich or two; now that they check bags, do they take the food away if they see it? Since Disney is particular about outside food coming in and with them checking bags, that might seem like an obvious! That's unfortunate though...when I go I hate to stop to eat and would much rather prefer to have something on hand to calm a growling stomach...who's got time to stop when you're at Disney! graemlins/muscles.gif

-Laura

JimmyC
11-27-2001, 05:41 PM
They are full of Beef Jerky and dried salmon.

HooksLeftHand
11-27-2001, 06:24 PM
I'm a childless grown-up, and I carry:

My camera and film
Sunglasses
Baseball cap
Umbrella
Change of socks
Small notebook and pen (for jotting down any info I might want to remember later, etc.)
Any souveniers I buy that day

It's not much, but it's the kind of stuff you want to have on you at all times. Anything else can go in a locker, but you don't want to have to bolt the whole way across the park just because you finished a roll of film.

And for people my age, who aren't that far removed from college, carrying a backpack is still pretty much second nature.

Plus, if you carry everyone else's cameras, etc., you can make them carry the bag once in a while.

Simba 1
11-27-2001, 09:09 PM
I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I hate carrying anything. I have my key to the world in a button or zip pocket. That's it!

(But we don't have kids, which probably changes a lot!)

mickclub1955
11-27-2001, 09:16 PM
we took one two weeks ago. Its great for carrying rain gear and sweat shirts. It got chilly when the sun went down. It also kept our tickets dry and our cameras. It was great.

tinkabell
11-27-2001, 11:09 PM
childless, early-20's here.... always carrying a backpack or messenger bag.
*water!
*digital camera, memory cards
*small notebook & pen
*sunscreen
*sunglasses/carry case
*granola bar, small snack
graemlins/mickey.gif

frakers
11-28-2001, 06:49 AM
I used to only carry a fanny pack. Simve the purchase of the camcorder we have started with the backpack. It holds the camcorder, camera, rain jackets (it IS Florida, after all), drinks, bandaids, cell phone, 2 way radios and anything else that may be needed that day. If we decide on any given day not to carry the camcorder, it's back to the fanny pack.
The backpack is so much easier to carry than a camera bag. That is, honestly, the prime reason for it. When there are children, it will hold diapers and such, in addition to the previously mentioned items.

mickeynuts
11-28-2001, 10:12 AM
Oh how I miss being able to just carry a little fanny pack! Back then it was park pass, room key, sunglasses, and a small camera. We just took turns carrying the video camera. Now its a big old diaper bag (but we still use a stroller so at least it can ride) with everything but the kitchen sink! It's amazing how much stuff you need with 3 kids, and we use every bit of it! Hopefully by the time the littlest outgrows the stroller we can move to a smaller bag.
smile.gif Laura

Nana
11-28-2001, 10:30 AM
Have you ever seen the show
"Let's Make a Deal"
One of the games was to ask folks in the audience for things like a rubber band from their purse. Or perhaps an old movie ticket.
The funny thing is most women had what the item was. My children use to tell me all the time that I needed to go on that show.
On the complete opposite of that-this trip I am trying to go backpackless. Should be interesting. :eek:

tiggertoottfn
11-28-2001, 10:44 AM
No, when they searched the backpack they didn't even bat an eye about the food. But we were just taking sandwiches and small snacks and water. They did make me turn the video camera on a couple times. They were much more concerned about those kind of things.

pipanale
11-28-2001, 11:51 AM
I feel like a Sherpa when we go,
2 water bottles
Packs of snacks
Apples
Maps
Camera(s)
Film
Ponchos
Gum
More Snacks
Small children
Pets
Souvenirs
etc...

harlowandthemermaid
11-28-2001, 09:33 PM
Camera bag usually doubles as a backpack...
eyedrops, chapstick, gum or mints,...plus all the things like snacks and water and wallets that everyone else mentioned.

married2wdwnut
11-29-2001, 10:54 AM
Hiya, ditto to pretty much everything.

The main reason why we carry a backpack is to carry our lunch and drinks. This is because it gets pretty expensive for a family of four to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner out everyday.

we will get snacks during the day popcorn etc and only eat out at night, which is still a fortune for people on a budget.

Toughbug
11-29-2001, 10:58 AM
I use a fanny pack with:
hotel id, tickets, kids' money, our money, bandaids, moleskin, small scissors (but I think I will eliminate that now), film, 2 camcorder batteries, extra videotape, planned itineraries, guidemaps, list of restaurants and food types. Then I add and substract as I go along. I also carry the camcorder over my shoulder - it is small enough (8mm) that it doesn't get in the way (I carry larger, professional grade one at work).

DW usually carries a small backpack with 2 small water bottles for kids, wet wipes, camera and enough room for small souvenirs.

It was worse when the kids were little.

Sean
11-29-2001, 12:10 PM
Last week when I was at Magic Kingdom they made me eat my PBJ outside the gates. Couldn't bring it in. Guess it's who you get at the gate.

brer frog
11-29-2001, 12:43 PM
I usted to use a backpack but now everything I need i keep in my cargo pockets. ;)

Fantasmike
12-02-2001, 12:28 PM
Carrying a backpack didn't bother me a bit. Being the overly-obsessed-with-our-vacation-plans dad that I am, my backpack includes:

-Camcorder w/blank tapes
-Camera and film
-water bottles
-sunblock
-sunglasses
-Birnbaum guide for reference
-Rain ponchos
-Notebook (with preprinted menus,Priority Seating confirmation numbers, and spreadsheet of each day's itinerary)
-Park maps
-Snacks
-Hand sanitizer
-Napkins

It probably seems like overkill but I will have plenty of time to travel light when my wife and I go as a couple after the kids are grown and gone. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Duchess99
12-03-2001, 01:40 AM
I feel completely lost if I don't have some sort of bag with me! So at WDW I carry, water bottles, a long sleeve shirt, wallet, cell phone, palm pilot, makeup, camera, and extra film.

Now you should see my bag that I carry everyday...I'm surprised I can still walk straight it's so heavy!! graemlins/crazy.gif

goofgal
12-03-2001, 10:01 PM
I hate to admit this, but after reading the initial post, I decided not to pack a backpack for this trip (I have 2 camera cases and that's all I would have been carrying in it). Anyway, within 2 days I was at Wal-Mart buying one! The padded shoulders are so much nicer than the straps on the camera bag. I did give up the fanny pack, however.

DisneyWizard
12-04-2001, 04:07 PM
How's this for a little strange:

Walt Disney World parks are the only parks that I carry a backpack with me for. Any other park -- nothing at all! Weird, huh?

The Hitchiking Ghost
12-04-2001, 04:22 PM
I used to carry a pack all the time at the parks. The obvious items like cameras and stuff would always go in there, but two reasons for the pack that I didn't see listed above are.

-Books. I'm a big reader, and I always try to read in down time; this works especially well in really, REALLY slow lines.

-Shopping. Say you buy a T-shirt at the Tower of Terror; it's a lot nicer to be able to just toss it in your pack and forget about it than have to carry around a huge bag all day.

On my last trip, however, I went without the backpack; I carried my camera on my wrist (which was problematic sometimes) and stuck a paperback in my pocket. It's an even trade-off in terms of convenience, I guess. If you want all of those items with you in the park, you're going to have to put up with some struggle. If you want total freedom, you have to sacrifice the camera etc.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: The Hitchiking Ghost ]</p>

emmagata
12-07-2001, 11:27 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mktiggerman:
When I carry my backpack, it's set up so I can bring my life with me (Disney isn't where I go to get away from it all.. that's Vegas. Disney is where I live :D ) I carry a Casio Cassiopeia EM500, Palm M105, Cellphone, headphones, digital camera (YES!! I FINALLY REPLACED MINE!), 2 128MB MMD Cards, and a Poncho. Sometimes, I'll forgo the 2 PDA's, and bring my early Xmas present, a Sony VAIO laptop, since it's barely bigger than the 2 PDA's side by side.<hr></blockquote>

You bring a laptop (or TWO PDA's)to the parks? Whatever for?

And don't get me started on cell phones....

Ok, I can't resist.

I can see the occasional use of a cell phone (or radio). Check in, "where are you", "meet me here",etc.

BUT, I was there today and while waiting for my DW to return from the ladies room I was standing next ot a man using his cell phone and he was on a business call. Don't people got to WDW to get away from business? They don't call it a vacation for nothing.

Also, I see many many people that appear to be just blabbing away on those things and NOT paying attention to where they are walking. DRIVES ME NUTS!!!

I told my DW that one of these days I going to make a T-shirt with a picture of cellphone with a red circle with a line through it.

John and Donna

Red Randal
12-08-2001, 02:27 PM
Everyone all ready answered your question but I feel like blabbing about what I carry around in a backpack.

-Video Camera
-Regular Camera
-My family's rain attire which they insist on bringing even when it's 90 degrees and sunny
-Drinks
-Park Maps
-The vacation planning book I all ready memorized on the plane but bring with me to annoy people with smile.gif
-Depending on the circumstance: A Cd player, a few cd's, blank tapes, extra battery.
-Wallet with spare cash

That's about it. I thought I was nuts with the CD player, but then I read about the guy with the laptop, lol. graemlins/mickey.gif

Diamond Dave Flash
12-09-2001, 07:22 AM
Forget the backpacks, all I carry with me is sunglasses and plenty of cash!!

Robert
12-09-2001, 12:54 PM
Let's see, I had a camera, a video camera,too, 2 ponchos, Passporter Guide to Disney World, Sunglasses, no water bottles(I believe in drinking fountains, talking or not.), and a few other little things. I also used it to carry film and any souvineers that would fit.

imported_dpamac
12-09-2001, 01:26 PM
I had enough supplies to keep a diabetic alive, healthy and well for the day including glucose tablets, glucose testing supplies and w hat not. Plus ponchos, water etc. Not to mention an extra change of shorts and t-shirt, sun screen and more film than any human should carry, with a point an shoot for the wife and child and an SLR for me. And my wife and I both carry journals to log moments throughout the day so that we can remember.

Imagineer's Mom
12-09-2001, 10:01 PM
The first time I took my son by myself I took our pases, $30, and a pair of sunglasses. The next time I took so much stuff my back hurt by 11:00. Things that have to go in:

Camera and ziploc bag just in case.
Our nextels - they have proved invaluable when we've seperated for bathroom trips or whatever.
small bottle of sublock
blister block
change of clothes for my son if I know he is going to get wet
chapsick
batteries for the camera
autograph books and pen

cloud9
12-10-2001, 11:23 AM
This is really bad, but for 2 college students we took:
digital camera ponchos
reg. camera maps
film eyedrops
extra batteries pre-cut moleskin
camera case tylenol
granola bars wallets
pop tarts sunglasses
juiceboxes hair bands
ziplock bags reservations info
tissues chapstick
2 types of heartburn meds.(i have an ulcer)

Of course I packed all of it and my boyfriend got to carry the backpack. Did we use it all? At one time or another yes. Needless to say my boyfriend was extremely pleased with having my packages sent back to our room, especially after one particularly overzealous morning at downtown disney.