PDA

View Full Version : Attraction of the Week 12-02 -- It’s A Small World

imported_PolyGirl40
12-02-2001, 08:05 AM
I know there is a lot of *talk* about this attraction on the Boards. In fact it was that sort of silliness that drew me into INTERCOT. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Personally, I really enjoy one jaunt around the Small World. This is a very nostalgic ride for my husband. He went to WDW for the first time with his parents -- many, many years ago. This is the one attraction that they always went on - for his little sister. His Dad has passed, his Mom is ill and of course the siblings have all gone their separate ways. One loop around It’s a Small World brings all of those pleasant family memories back. Now; the same thing has happened to our family.

I love the costumes. My favorite is the jungle scene. I agree, the song is a bit repetitive. Isn’t that part of the charm? graemlins/crazy.gif Barring any repercussions from JimmyC -- Who admits to liking this attraction? :D

Hidden Mickey Alert: Look in the vines during the African scene.

LottaLubes
12-02-2001, 08:59 AM
Ok, I'll be the first to admit, I absolutely love this attraction! It's a must for our family every visit and we ride it at least 1/2 dozen times. The waiting usually short and it's a great cool-off ride.

EvaBryan
12-02-2001, 12:18 PM
I love it too.

My first memory of this ride was with my grandparents - I looked up at my grandfather (who was an engineer with a VERY serious job) and he had such a childish look of wonder on his face. I was little and I had no idea that he saw it at the World's Fair and he was struck by intense nostalgia. All I knew was that if my smarty-pants grandfather loved this ride than I probably would too.

The costumes are neat, the scenes so colorful, and the song is, well, catchy! graemlins/clappy.gif

So what if it has graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/thedolls.gif

Jared
12-02-2001, 03:36 PM
IASW- Thw ride we love to hate!! :D

DisneyWizard
12-02-2001, 03:47 PM
I don't think any other discussion board has given It's A Small World the reputation that we have. :D

I enjoy this attraction. It was my brother's favorite attraction when he was a little tot, and ever since then we always take a boat ride through. Most of us usually fall asleep unless it's in the morning, but that's OK!

My favorite scene is the Hawaiian scene! Go hula dancers go! graemlins/crazy.gif

faline
12-02-2001, 06:03 PM
So many people tell me that they absolutely hate this ride. I just can't figure out how no-one can like it, yet I can never go on this ride without standing in line!!!

It's a definite must-do every time I'm in Disney. My husband is one of those folks who complain about this ride but, if I were to steer clear of it for an entire trip, he'd figure out a way to get me on it! I remember the awe we felt on our first trip through this ride when my daughter was only seven years old.

When we went to DL last year, I would have stood in line all day to ride that version of this ride. I love how it starts out of doors there.

I need another ride on this attraction soon!!

Disney2002
12-02-2001, 06:50 PM
I think this is THE disney ride. If it were ever destroyed, I say it would have to be with the rest of the park. No, it's not terribly entertaining... or thrilling... or really that creative in terms of engineering... but its THE HEART AND SOUL of disney! Gotta love it and always ride it for that reason!

STOFFER
12-02-2001, 07:21 PM
I don't feel like I'm at Disney World until I've ridden It's a Small World. It isn't the most exciting ride at WDW, but it's a real classic.
I hope Eisner's bunch doesn't close it just because the line isn't long to ride it.

Disney2002
12-02-2001, 08:51 PM
Anyone ever thought about preventive measure to protect rides that could, down the road, face destruction?

MickeyMoose15
12-02-2001, 10:11 PM
The most annoying attraction on the face of the planet. (Next to Rio Del Tiempo)

graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/thedolls.gif graemlins/thedolls.gif

hyphen
12-02-2001, 10:20 PM
Singing the song from IASW is what our family loves to do when we drive down to WDW and are driving up the main drive. We know that we are truly there then!!! graemlins/clappy.gif I love that ride and it is so much better now with my children and seeing it as new through their eyes! I grew up at Disneyland and used to love the clocks and things moving on the outside of the building. I have been going on that ride for almost 40 years and still love it. graemlins/laughing.gif

Dawn
12-03-2001, 06:06 AM
aaaaahhhhh. Small World.

It's a happy, smiley ride. We need more like this.

All together now - *it's a world of laughter.......* :D

Sportster
12-03-2001, 07:45 AM
OK...there are definitely more of you out there who are afraid to admit you like (maybe love) this ride graemlins/blush.gif . It's OK, I've recently completed the IASW Anonymous course and came out into the light. just kidding. But I do love this ride. It reminds me of the rides I used to go on when I was little. I didn't go on this ride until I was an adult. Plain and simple, it's a "happy" ride. I know the song is repetitive, but one of those things about DW that always sticks with you. I like the IASW reference in the Lion King..."No,no,no, anything but that!". So go ahead and admit, you like (love) this ride! Take your time...we'll wait for you! ;)

carribeanpirate250
12-03-2001, 07:52 AM
We always have started our trip and ended our trip with this ride. I admit that it was never my favorite, but on our trip this past summer, IASW was closed. I was shocked that it was closed! It was then I understood that this is a true Disney ride and really is one of my favorites!

darthmacho
12-03-2001, 08:35 AM
I admit that I skipped this attraction on my first trip, however, was pleasantly suprised by it on my second trip. I never really cared for the song that much, but I think it was appropriate for the ride, and
i have to admit, I like the little dolls. graemlins/thedolls.gif

roses
12-03-2001, 08:55 AM
Okay, okay, I like this ride. graemlins/blush.gif If I get stuck on this ride, that is a different story. But I like how they did this ride, with all of the different dolls and how they are dress according to where they "live". I like the ending where it says goodbye in all the different languages. That is nice. I also like the doll in the hot air balloon that has the help sign up. That is cute.

MNNHFLTX
12-03-2001, 11:10 AM
Yes, yes, I love this ride! Brings back a lot of pleasant memories for me too. I might make fun of them, but I like the dolls too. My favorite ones are the dancers outside the replica of the Taj Mahal (you know, moving their heads back and forth without moving their bodies). I like at the ending how everyone is all together in one room. And my son and I always try to say all the goodbye signs real quick as we're passing through the last room before exiting. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

JabberJaws
12-03-2001, 11:41 AM
I know there are many many folks out there that hate this ride as much as i do...but for some reason...you have to ride it. It is the ride we love to hate. My mother on the other hand LOVES it with a passion..of course this is b/c the ride really speaks to her...no it literally does speak to her...she is 4-11 so...she fits right into the small world! I mean the ride annoys the livin **** out of me but in the best way possible! I mean it wouldnt be a trip to Disney without at least one ride through the small world....but more than one ride..and i think i would begin to lose my sanity! graemlins/doubleeek.gif

claysmom
12-03-2001, 03:13 PM
I LOVE this ride and not just because the topless dancers crack me up! graemlins/laughing.gif

I remember that before SpaceShip Earth, this was the traditional FIRST RIDE! There is a photo of me when I was about 3 on it with this awestruck face. We have a photo of my son with the SAME look on his face on that ride. How cool is that?

The song is fun! My hubby and I mess with each other by humming either that song or the old Tiki Room song! It's great fun because we have to go straight home and watch videos! lol!

I always see something new on that ride that I have NEVER noticed before. The past few trips I've been on the Hidden Mickey kick.

Ok, ok - so maybe I am a freak, but I really like that ride :)

wendy*darling
12-03-2001, 03:44 PM
I love this ride, because I remember it from the World's Fair in NY ('64-'65) (OK, so I'm old ;) ) I thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. So, I still have to ride it once on each trip.

I love it's simple tune (although it does stick with you forever) and the idea that Walt put it together in almost no time at all!

Same goes for Carousel of Progress ( graemlins/crying.gif )- I miss that one already.

SpecJoe Magic
12-03-2001, 03:48 PM
This is quite possibly one of the most annoying attractions in WDW but I don't know that I would want it to be taken out. Sure, it is not exactly thrilling and it is rather outdated but it was at the World's Fair in 1964 and it is a Walt Disney original. Most kids love this attraction and I can tolerate it. This attraction is a big part of Disney history. I wish that another part of Disney history, Carousel of Progress, would stay open. graemlins/crying.gif

Beach Club Babe
12-03-2001, 06:16 PM
My name is Heather.... and I'm an IASWaholic!! I admit it. I love this ride!! So sue me.

JimmyC
12-04-2001, 08:14 PM
WIZZY!!!!! :mad:

Looks like I'm going to need to stock up on anti- graemlins/thedolls.gif chips :rolleyes:

As mentioned before, if I had to ride this or Snow White, I'd ride IASW. At least I can make fun of it (usually followed with my wife hitting me :rolleyes: )and recon for targets :D

DisneyWizard
12-04-2001, 08:36 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JimmyC:
WIZZY!!!!! :mad:

<hr></blockquote>

What? :eek: I said I fall asleep, didn't I? tongue.gif That means I haven't been subjected to...well...you know! graemlins/thedolls.gif

DownWithEpcotHand
12-04-2001, 08:40 PM
Simply put, this is the worst ride/attraction in current existence!! Alright, so I am pushing it but I still don't see what anyone finds even remotely amusing. I don't think nostalgia is a proper reason for keeping a boring and pointless attraction. And the fact that Walt created it is even a better reason to get rid of it. I wouldn't want Disney to be known as the person who created this thing. Shouldn't we get rid of the evidence?? smile.gif Can someone even explain to me what exactly I am looking at when I ride this thing?? Scary children singing the same song for 15 minutes with nothing different to look at but the exact same doll with different cloths on is all I see. "It's a small world after all!!" AND YOUR POINT!!! It is also funny to note that due to the age of the ride, all the different scenes simply take every single steriotype about that culture and pushes it to the max. Mind you, I love all the other Fantasyland attractions. I even like Snow White! At least that has a story and theme to it. Please, someone tell me what is so great about this waste of space without using the word nostalgia. Thanks.

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: DownWithEpcotHand ]</p>

The Hitchiking Ghost
12-05-2001, 12:15 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DownWithEpcotHand:
Can someone even explain to me what exactly I am looking at when I ride this thing?? Scary children singing the same song for 15 minutes with nothing different to look at but the exact same doll with different cloths on is all I see. "It's a small world after all!!" AND YOUR POINT!!! [ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: DownWithEpcotHand ]<hr></blockquote>

And the point would be unity...which seems even more appropriate at a time like this than ever before, actually. It's not my favorite ride in the world, either, but I don't see any reason to get rid of it if they're going to keep making the same Dumbo ride over and over again only with a different theme. At least Small World is distinct.

DownWithEpcotHand
12-05-2001, 07:53 AM
True, unity would be a wonderful theme for an attraction if it was executed correctly. However, most people don't come off It's A Small World feeling inspired or unified. Instead they come off angry they wasted all their time. Side Note: Did anyone notice that the hippo used to be in the water but now it is up on land?

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: DownWithEpcotHand ]</p>

MNNHFLTX
12-05-2001, 10:14 AM
I just want to remind everyone that the topic was not intended to start a debate but to ask the question "Who admits to liking this attraction?" Sharing viewpoints is part of the fun of Intercot and no one has to defend their own opinion.

Okay, let's mosey onward from here.... smile.gif

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: MNNHFL ]</p>

imported_PolyGirl40
12-05-2001, 11:33 AM
Welcome to INTERCOT, The Hitchiking Ghost. graemlins/muscles.gif

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
12-05-2001, 11:35 AM
graemlins/mickey.gif I LOVE THIS RIDE graemlins/mickey.gif

It is not my favorite attraction, but it is an ESSENTIAL part of WDW for me.

And it was the ONLY chice for my daughters' first ride at WDW on their first trip in May. Very simple plan: First we see the Castle, Then we ride IASW, Followed by a Mickey Head Ice Cream. This is the perfect recipe to instill the proper level of Disney magic in their tiny little bloodstreams, trust me, it's a family tradition. Happy to say, they were hooked immediately. And while they love other rides more, Pooh for the baby and COP (that's my girl!) for the first born... they KNOW the drill. Upon our "next" trip, they talk about: Chef Mickey's the night we arrive, then MK for the Castle, IASW and a Mickey Head.

:D You just gotta. :D