PDA

View Full Version : Attraction of the Week 11-25 -- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

imported_PolyGirl40
11-25-2001, 07:00 AM
Who doesn’t scream? redface.gif
There is no way to resist the urge to zip in and out of this mountain. I only wish it went a little bit slower. The themeing is so fantastic. It’s hard to take everything in -- when you’re racing by so fast.

My family rode for the first time at night during an e-ride evening in March. They said it was awesome. Now I hope to be able to do that very thing -- when we return. I want to ride it in the dark. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Jared
11-25-2001, 07:56 AM
It took me 3 trips to be able to ride this, because the first two times, the ride was in rehab. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of my favorite attractions in MK! It has the roller coaster feel, without being too thrilling, and the theming is amazing. It took me three trips on the Mountain to see all of the fabulous theming, because the first two times I was focusing on the thrill of the coaster! :D graemlins/mickey.gif

mtk23
11-25-2001, 09:01 AM
This is my 2 daughters' absolute favorite ride in WDW. We went on 5 times in a row during e-night on our last trip, sitting in the front every time. The CM got a big kick out of how excited the twins were, racing through the queue area to ride yet again! They love to scream at every hill and turn. :D

EvaBryan
11-25-2001, 09:20 AM
Thumbs up for BTMR!

This ride is better at night than in the daytime. It zips around so fast and really feels like you are racing in and out of a mountain.

During the day the ride is actually really funny. If you can, look at the goats - their expressions are really amusing.

TiggerRPh
11-25-2001, 11:30 AM
I love this ride...I actually think you pick up more of the theming and all the nuances of the ride by riding it at night. Things seem to stand out better.

graemlins/mickey.gif

faline
11-25-2001, 05:12 PM
One of the best rides at DW! A must-do!

Mickeylover
11-25-2001, 06:06 PM
I so agree with several others. NOTHING beats this ride at night. Shadows seemed to have been thought out ahead of time. You can't appreciate a bat filled, ready to collapse cave until you've done it on a runaway train.

My 6 year old's first ride was when he was 3...he just made the height requirement...and when he took the front seat with his dad, the ride operator announced "Jake the Snake" was on the ride. Needless to say, he loved it!

MKPlutoGuy
11-25-2001, 06:55 PM
Thunder Mountain is awesome!! I love it!! We always close the day riding btm as many times as we can before the park closes smile.gif

Roland
11-25-2001, 07:23 PM
I'll go along with riding it at night. I don't believe I've even rode it more than three times during the day. It just seems like a totally different ride at night. I was fortunate to ride BTMR when the fireworks were going off. That was a treat!

G
11-25-2001, 08:03 PM
Okay, you have convinced me. This big chicken will try it this next trip(both day and night). My dd has ridde it with my DH. graemlins/doubleeek.gif

hyphen
11-25-2001, 10:29 PM
The best time I had on BTMR was when I rode it with my daughter who was 6 at the time and it was the first time for her. She was so serious about the ride all the way through the line, telling me how safe the ride was and things like that. When we got on the ride, she would be quiet during the upward part of the ride and then when we would start to go down, boy did she let out a scream. It was such a big scream for such a little kid. She would stop as soon as we were going up again but as soon as we started down again, there it was, that huge scream. She wasn't crying, just screaming. My dad and DH were in the seat behind us and laughing so hard. I was trying not to laugh but it was so funny. When we got off the ride she stoped me and when I stooped down to talk to her she grabed my face and told me, "That ride is way to fast for me." Again, she was so serious. It just killed me. My dh was almost crying he was laughing so hard and trying not to let her see him laughing. She has since been on it again and now likes it, but we still laugh at the way that kid let those screams rip. graemlins/rotfl.gif

LauraSAnne
11-26-2001, 12:17 AM
A lot of us don't like waiting in line for too long to ride a ride...however, I love waiting in line for BT. There are quite a few rides at Disney that really allow you to feel the theme while waiting in line and BT is one of them. I wouldn't Fast Pass this ride ever--part of the enjoyment of the rides is waiting in line and soaking up all the fine detail that a lot of others miss. By the time you reach the loading area, you almost feel like you've got your mining equipment with you ready to go! graemlins/laughing.gif

-Laura

darthmacho
11-26-2001, 01:07 AM
It's the wildest ride in the wilderness... graemlins/silly.gif

I love the ride a night too. I love the silhouettes in the town windows and the eerie lights in the collapsing caves. I like the back of the train because you get the full effects of the drops. Cool ride. graemlins/smokin.gif

Rhetoric2000
11-26-2001, 06:34 AM
This ride is better the further back on the train you are. It has great theming and suits all ages. One of Disney's best.

JimmyC
11-26-2001, 07:05 AM
Also another Thumbs Up for this ride at night. smile.gif

The colors, cabin on fire in the distance, Castle lit up going up the hill.

My wife loves it for the same reasons, but also because it has no drops. Just curves and hills. smile.gif

Disneywarrior
11-26-2001, 09:22 AM
I love BTMR! My favorite time to ride is at night and on the back seat. graemlins/muscles.gif

roses
11-28-2001, 07:54 AM
Love this ride, and yes I agree, at night is even better...This is one of those must do rides every time you go there! :D

Jillpie
11-28-2001, 09:45 AM
I dare say we love this more than Splash Mt. Its the first thing we run to, and can't get there fast enough! From the "crickety" sounds of the first hill to all the ups and downs, wow, this ride is a true blast. This holds the very best memories of just plain fun for our family!!!!

TalkDisney
11-28-2001, 10:38 AM
I absolutly Love BTM! I have to ride it 3 or 4 tomes each visit!

TalkDisney

DisneyTeen
11-28-2001, 03:26 PM
I have to say that this is my favorite ride going. Even though I have not be able to ride it when I have went down because it was broken down. but it is a great ride, so much better at night too. graemlins/rotfl.gif

LittleSpirit02
12-01-2001, 12:36 AM
This ride is pure Disney. smile.gif I love riding it at night especially. One time I rode it at night in the rain - seems faster and more dramatic although it probably really is exactly the same as always. smile.gif The queue music is great for the ride. I actually have the BTM area music on a cd. lol. My fave spot to ride would have to be the back. You get more hill dropping speed. The front is a little slow on the hills. graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif ;)

rokinrayfrompittpa
12-01-2001, 04:50 AM
A decent ride though I barely qualify it as a coaster. Theming is good, but there should be more to a ride ride than theming. That theming on a coaster with a 200-foot twisting drop would be incredible.

Fantasmike
12-02-2001, 11:47 AM
The lack of roller coaster type drops is the precise thing that makes this ride one of mt family's favorites. My wife and I do not enjoy rides with steep drops and falls. My kids sit in the back of the train and we sit in the front. It is plenty thrilling just as it is. With ToT, RnR, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain there are enough drops for anyone.

We rode this ride over and over during and E-ride night. I haven't been on during the day but it was great at night.

SpecJoe Magic
12-03-2001, 04:19 PM
Great attraction! Very detailed with great theming. Some people may complain because it is not very fast compared with other coasters that exist today but Big Thunder is A+ in my book. Tremendous fun for everyone! ;)

JabberJaws
12-05-2001, 11:32 AM
I love this ride....ESPECIALLY in the dark! Once u ride it in the dark you will never wanna ride it in the day again..ok..so maybe that isnt true..i would ride it no matter what time of the day..but it is definetly 10 times better in the dark!

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
12-05-2001, 11:49 AM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JimmyC:
My wife loves it for the same reasons, but also because it has no drops. Just curves and hills. smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Okay, so I haven't done this one, but am considering it next trip... but the four year old still talks about Goofy's Barnstormer as being "too high". There is one decent drop, as I recall and the whole dang ride is probably less than 2 minutes long. She didn't cry, or scream...just looked stunned, then said she didn't like it.

So, to a shortie, is BMR really "no drops"?

I think "fast hills" might be a sell for her!

(Plus the whole "big girl" thing yadda-yadda.)

And what the hey, if it is THAT cool at night, is that the BEST way for me to experience it as a first-timer?

SpecJoe Magic
12-05-2001, 01:58 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow:

Okay, so I haven't done this one, but am considering it next trip... but the four year old still talks about Goofy's Barnstormer as being "too high". There is one decent drop, as I recall and the whole dang ride is probably less than 2 minutes long. She didn't cry, or scream...just looked stunned, then said she didn't like it.

So, to a shortie, is BMR really "no drops"?

I think "fast hills" might be a sell for her!

(Plus the whole "big girl" thing yadda-yadda.)

And what the hey, if it is THAT cool at night, is that the BEST way for me to experience it as a first-timer?<hr></blockquote>

I have not done Goofy's Barnstormer. Big Thunder does have one pretty big drop and a few other small drops. It also has a huge curve(my favorite part of the ride) and several other curves. If you take your daughter on it, make sure to request the front of the train because the back is a more intense ride. The ride is also more intense at night(more fun in my opinion). You might want the four year old to ride it during the day. Thunder Mountain is definitely higher and also longer that Goofy's Barnstormer. Hope this helps.