PDA

View Full Version : What park on a rainy day?

09-08-2001, 04:41 PM
Any recomendations on what park to visit if it's raining? Are most of the rides operating on rainy days?

------------------

snmthecloser
09-08-2001, 05:00 PM
If you are going to WDW and you wouln't have a chance to go back any time soon I would recomend toughing it out and going to all the parks you were intending to go to. If you really have to pick, in my opinion you have the best chance at Magic Kingdom because there are a lot of indoor shows there, just stay away from MGM. I was there when it was raining and it was terrible, nothing to do.

Have Fun http://www.intercot.com/boards/rollsmile.gif

------------------
"This is a very moving moment." "Yeah I wish they would move it to Pittsburgh"
-Muppet*Vision 3D

wacky4disney
09-08-2001, 06:18 PM
Oh, couldn't you be more imaginative than that with your UserName? Guess who this is!!
It's your favorite sister in the whole wide world! (So what if you have only one!)

Anyway, the one time we went when it was pouring is one of our kids best memories--running around in the pouring rain with all of us wearing our yellow rain ponchos. Of course, it helped it was a warm day, if it was cold, it would have been unbearable.

Later dudette http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

Jared
09-08-2001, 07:13 PM
You just have to tough it out. Your trip to WDW was planned a long time in advance and this is your only oppurtunity. Go in the rain, everything is open basically, actually, the best time to do Kilimanjaro Safaris is during a small rain or right after a big rain because all of the animals come out to drink. I complety disagree with snmthecloser though, MGM has all of the indoor shows, MK is basically all rides. MGM has indoor everything, like GMR, Mupppets, Star Tours, ToT, RnRC, everything is indoors. Anyway, don't worry about rain, just go and have fun (and hope for sun)

------------------
1/91- 3 years old- Off Site
1/96- 8 years old- Port Orleans
2/00- 12 years old- Off Site
2/01- 13 years old- Off Site
Next Up: WDW in 1/02 and/or Disneyland in 8/02 :)

DizKnee
09-08-2001, 07:15 PM
One of the best days we ever had at WDW was the day we went to MK and it rained the whole time. We got to go on 15 rides that day, some of them 2 or 3 times! It was like an e-ticket night during the day. We just put our ponchos on and slogged through. Did we get wet? Soaked. Was it worth it? Yes. Would I do it again? Yes.

I think I'd rather have it rain all day, than have it be boiling hot.

------------------
I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.
Walt Disney

wdwboy
09-08-2001, 10:06 PM
This is easy and is even in many travel books. It's gotta be EPCOT. You're in pavilions most of the time, but Test Track isn't open http://www.intercot.com/boards/blue.gif.But almost everything else is indoors in Future World. And you can play around in WoL until the rain lets up http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------

Jensaarai
09-08-2001, 10:42 PM
Yes Epcot! You could take time a explore all the shops and little attractions you may have missed in World Showcase. And there are many indoor attractions in Future World.

------------------
Next trip Dec. 2001!
Hey mom try the Beverly I heard its great.............. What do you mean it tastes bad? And why are you turning green?

Founder of NDF (Nine Dragons Forever)

Sportster
09-08-2001, 11:41 PM
I would have to agree, Epcot would be the rainy day park of choice. Athough the other parks have some indoor attractions, I think that Ecpot would have the most indoor things to do and see. Either way you would be ducking in and out of the rain no matter what park. Just make the most of it if that's what the weather dictates.

------------------

Womble
09-09-2001, 06:05 AM
I’m a poncho wearing, dancing down main street kind of guy!

But seriously if you wish to stay dry I’d have to say it would be Epcot future world, MK is still my favourite in the heavy rain due to the ease of entrance onto rides.

Disneyland 91-92
Offsite 93-96-97-98-00
Caribbean Beach 94-95-98
All-star Sports 96
Port Orleans 99

K8screen
09-09-2001, 06:30 AM
So the overall consensus is, "Go anywhere, it'll still be great!" I couldnt agree more!
Rain at WDW really is no problem. The great thing is, a lot of people really think it is, (Are they afraid they will shrink?), so they stay away, leaving everything empty for us!

------------------

MNNHFLTX
09-09-2001, 11:38 AM
For a rainy day, I would say that EPCOT would be my first choice and AK second.

------------------
Beth--
"attitude is a little thing that means alot"

wdwboy
09-09-2001, 12:09 PM
Well I recently went late July, early August and let me tell you- it rained buckets every single day because of tropical storm Barry and the fact that that is rainy season. It was tough, but I got to see most of what I wanted to see. The only quality ride that is closed in the rain is Test Track, which I got to do twice anyway. I tend to disagree with the no wait access in the MK. It seemed everyone in the park rushed to Fantasyland thinking the lines would be shorter, but they were twice as long. I waited 20 minutes for IASW!!!!The line for Winnie was an hour and a half and an hour for Pan.

------------------

DisneyWizard
09-09-2001, 02:28 PM
I'm going to against the crowd and say Magic Kingdom. There's something about that park in the rain that makes it even more fun....

------------------
-Casey
(Kc, Wizzy, DizWiz)

"...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
-Walt Disney

Meet me (http://www.intercot.com/boards/Forum7/HTML/000273.html) in the Midwest!

Fantasmike
09-09-2001, 03:44 PM
I say do AK on a rainy day. We did and we were able to ride Kali River Rapids 4 times without getting off, no wait for Kilimanjaro Safaris or Dinosaur. I don't think we had to wait for anything that day. Everyone else was leaving the park, we just put on ponchos and went for it!

------------------
1981-offsite
1987-offsite
1998-ASMu
2001-CBR

jokat
09-10-2001, 08:01 PM
Good question! We just got back yesterday from our first trip, so we can finally add our two cents worth! Take your own ponchos, and wear them with pride! You can do about anything in the rain. It poured on us the second half of the day at MK and for E-ride night there and we LOVED IT! Just two tips for you though...remember to put your backpack under the poncho and carry or wear sandals! The good old shoes and socks thing feels like huge sponges around your feet, and that can get annoying after awhile. In the days following, I wore my sandals every day almost and was thankful for it! We were a little disappointed about all the rain at Epcot though because we missed out on a lot of the street performers, but exploring the shops was great. I would say do MK in the rain, but you may end up doing them all that way. : ) Have fun, and remember you're in the happiest land of all, no matter what the weather.

------------------
"There's no place like home, there's no place like home...unless you're going to Disney!"

EtteDMS
09-11-2001, 06:48 AM
This many seem unusual be we found rainy periods (inevitable in August, when we were there last) to be great at the World Showcase at Epcot. It's a great excuse to the visit the indoor country exhibits and shows with no one making you feel guilty that they're missing a ride. In fact, one of our family favorites is the American Adventure show, the one with Mark Twain, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and other historical figures. It's very well done. If you haven't seen it, check it out when it's raining. Even the lobby is quite impressive.

------------------
Disney World makes you believe in Magic!

Trips:
1978 - Holiday Inn Main Gate (outside)
1985 - Holiday Inn Main Gate (outside)
1986 - Days Inn International Drive (outside)
1987 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing (outside)
1988 - Cocoa Beach/Pelican Landing (outside)
1994 - Fort Wilderness Homes
1999 - Fort Wilderness Homes
2000 - Fort Wilderness Homes
Coming Soon:
2001 - Fort Wilderness Cabins

roses
09-11-2001, 08:01 AM
Here is what you do...you go to the souviner shop, get a big yellow Mickey Mouse poncho and put it on. Then, you go to any park you want (my experience with rain has been at MK), and you ride all the rides...but best of all...jump in all the puddles you can find on your way to the next ride! You're going to get wet anyways, make the best of it!

------------------
Rose
When you wish upon a star....

Everybody has a laughin' place!

shevys
09-12-2001, 01:15 PM
I think that the Magic Kingdom is the park to go to when it's raining. Kick off your shoes, enjoy no lines and ride the attractions you normally don't get to.

One of my fondest childhood memories is the day my brother and I went to the Magic Kingdom alone during a downpour(my grandparents didn't want to brave the weather, so they stayed at the Poly and relaxed). There were so many pairs of kids shoes lined up near the park entrance, and it seemed like we had the park all to ourselves (us kids, that is). We rode Pirates at least 8 times in a row that day!
What a blast.

Darren

------------------
WDW 1970, 1973, 1976, 1978, 2001
DL 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998
DLP 2001

bjs6
09-12-2001, 02:03 PM
I would say Epcot. As several have said, most attractions are indoors. And in the World Showcase, most shops and whatnot are connected in each country.

A suggestion...something we learned the hard way last time. Next time we go, we plan on taking sandals like Tevas in backpacks to change into during rain. We had a downpour last time and ended up with soaked shoes & socks. Wet soaked feet wasn't fun; however, wet feet in sandals won't be a problem.

------------------
"That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp."
--Homer Simpson

startours123
09-12-2001, 04:24 PM
Magic Kingdom would be the best.

------------------
To those who come to this happy place,Welcome-
WALT DISNEY
It,s a great big beautiful tommarow,shineing at the end of every day

R2 make the jump to light speed.-Rex