PDA

View Full Version : Walking Tour of "Living w/ the Land"

BATWS Frank
04-25-2002, 08:04 AM
Anyone done it? I was thinking about taking it the next time I go to WDW w/ my wife. Any thoughts on it? I always feel like I don't see enough of the plants when I'm on the boat. I thought the walking tour might allow me a little more time, and a different type of guide (not to say the boat ones are bad... quite the opposite - they're great - but there's a lot of people on the boat, and only so much time on the ride).

kimballWDW98
04-25-2002, 11:02 AM
We have never done the walking tour, but I would be interested in hearing from someone who has. Is there an extra cost?
Marsha °O°

imported_PolyGirl40
04-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by kimballWDW98:
Is there an extra cost?
Yes there is a fee. -- It's an hour tour. In addition to the Park admission there is a $6 charge for each adult and $4 each per child.

kimballWDW98
04-25-2002, 12:35 PM
We have never done the walking tour, but I would be interested in hearing from someone who has. Is there an extra cost?
Marsha °O° :confused:

kimballWDW98
04-25-2002, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry for posting my response 2 times. I apologize.
Thanks polygirl. We will definitely look into the tour.
Marsha °O°

BATWS Frank
04-25-2002, 12:59 PM
I've got a FL Seasonal Pass, so $6 is a bargain. Sounds worth it even if you are paying for tickets though (as long as you have the time and are interested, that is.) Thanks for the info.

I'd still love to hear some reviews/thoughts of it though.

Figment!
04-25-2002, 02:29 PM
I've done this and it was deffinalty a very interesting tour. The tell you basically what you would hear on the boat ride but it is much more indepth and you get to go behind the sences, tye neatest part was we got to see some of the labs they have back their that you are really not aware of from the baot ride, we acutally went back into a lab exhibit they had set up for them breeding new preditors of pests that damage plants.

It was a very cool expereince, I would recomend it

tiggerrrific
04-25-2002, 03:49 PM
Myself and DH have done this several times. It is well worth the $6 fee. You learn some great things. I find it interesting as a gardiner and would really love to put some of their practices to work.

DisneyAtlanta
04-25-2002, 09:32 PM
When I was on the College Program, I was able to do it for free, so I took my mom (she paid), but she seemed to enjoy it. I like it just because you get to walk behind the scenes, and you feel special when the people in the boats go by. You get to touch a few things and get a closer look at the fish, alligators, etc.

I think it is a six dollar tour--worth the six dollars.

Bobby

DisneyRN
04-26-2002, 04:50 PM
DH and I are not gardeners in any way, but we thoroughly enjoyed this tour very much. It was filled with interesting info. and you get to see and hear a lot of behind the scenes stuff.

I recommend this tour to all-$6 is a bargain. I am not sure, though, how entertaining it would be for children under the age of ten-twelve.

Jforrest2
04-26-2002, 05:52 PM
My son (he was 9 at the time)and I did it a couple of years ago. Both of us had a great time. Since he was the only little one there, the CM paid extra attention to him, pointing out things that someone his age would like. I would certainly reccomend this tour to others. We both plan to do it again this summer....only 70 Days 10 Hrs 4 Mins 5 Secs to go!!!! graemlins/muscles.gif

Pixie Dust
04-28-2002, 02:40 PM
We LOVED it!! I am a biologist and my nephew is going to college for forestry. The time we took the tour there was only one other family there, and they were both biology HS teachers. We had a blast. The tour guide was so excited to have guest that knew about science and we talk alot of "shop". My poor DH was lost some of the time. But he still claimed that it was wonderful, and we plan on going again this year.

Our guide said that our level of discussion was much more indepth than the regular tours, so don't be afraid to go and enjoy yourselves!! Our tour was the first time she had guided for 4 people with science degrees.

We usually then go upstairs to the Garden Grill and enjoy a wonderful lunch!! Which IMHO seems all even better after the tour!! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/beer.gif

Timbo
04-29-2002, 12:13 PM
We just took the "Behind the Seeds" tour last Friday and really enjoyed it. It was $6 and lasted one-hour. It was very informative and interesting. I was only a bit disappointed in learning that some of what is currently grown there is not used by WDW, nor are they doing much in the way of innovative research. But the Integrated Pest Management work and hydroponics information was fantastic!

BATWS Frank
04-30-2002, 10:06 AM
thanks everyone! Where do you sign up for it? How far in advance do you need to sign up?

Timbo
04-30-2002, 03:49 PM
Sign up is at The Emporium in The Land pavillion. Generally, you can sign up the same day (in person) or call 407-WDW-TOUR for reservations more than 24 hours in advance.

When we were there, we signed up at 2PM and they only had two spots available for the 4PM tour. Note that it is fairly quiet at that time. One CM suggested that we do the earlier tours as there is more chance to see actual work being done in the labs and greenhouses. Next time!

I was hoping, too, that we would get a Fastpass or front of the line pass for the boat ride, but they don't do that (the wait was 60 mins when we were there). IF you want to do the boat ride, get a Fastpass before the tour and ride it after the tour.

[ April 30, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Timbo ]