PDA

View Full Version : "Medical Pass"

Illuminations25
04-25-2002, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be traveling with a member of my family that is disabled next month to Disney World. They will sometimes require a wheelchair, but it's mostly that they will not be able to stand for long periods of time due to knee problems. They have medical documentation and letters from their doctors stating that they are indeed in need of special assistance.

I remember reading here on Intercot that there was some sort of "pass" available to people who had needs such as this, that would allow them and a "helper" to experience the attractions by using the exit lines or FastPass lines to avoid the long periods of standing.

Is this type of pass available? If so, where can I get one for the other person in my party? I thought at one time someone had said that you need to present all the medical documentation at City Hall in MK and then they issued a pass for your length of stay.

I tried calling CRO and they only told me about FastPass and said they had no information about such a pass existing.

I've never traveled with someone to Disney before that has had a disability, so any information you could provide would be great.

Thanks!

cjdive
04-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Hi Illum-

Actually, you don't need a pass at all (at least we didn't when we took my grandmother a few years ago). Same reasons as you: my grandmother could not stand for long periods.

When we entered the park, we went to the place that rents the wheel chairs for the day. They gave us a wheelchair and said that someone would be at the attractions to help us out.

Boy, were there ever! Every attraction that we went on, they let my grandmother AND the rest of the family (all 5 of us) use the wheelchair entrance. We did not wait in line for a single ride. It was great :D

We did not have a pass, and the CMs were just great in helping us out. That was 5 or 6 years ago- things may have changed since then.

Hope this helps.

Chris graemlins/mickey.gif

eeyorefanatic
04-25-2002, 07:27 PM
There have been huge advancements in helping guests with Disabilities enjoy the park! I too have very bad knees and standing and walking alot tend not to go over to well with my body smile.gif

The pass is called a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) and is available at City Hall. They usually don't need medical documentation, but it probably doesn't hurt to have copies on hand (leave your originals at home!)You will need to tell them exactly what kind of assistance your party member needs. If they will be in a wheel chair just let them know that. Most of the rides have lines that are "mainstreemed" which means that people in wheelchairs just wait in line with everyone else.

Almost all of the attractions in AK and MGM are mainstreemed Epcot is about 50% and in MK almost all require either a special entrance or and/or a transfer to the ride vehicle.

I would suggest the possibility of renting an ECV (motorized scooter) This way you don't wind up pushing them all day which can be very tiring, and they can feel like they have some control over where they go/see etc.

Somewhere I have a link to a list of rides that explains how people in wheelchairs access each attraction. When I find it I will post it.

Bouncy
04-26-2002, 05:58 PM
I'd be care about the standing in line thing. What has been said is correct in that the queues in MK are not really wheelchair accessible, and that if you have a wheelchair you can use the ride's exit to enter. However, if you go to the newer parks, the wheelchairs definitely fit through the normal queues. This means that you really don't get to bypass the line. Once you get to the ride's entrance, you will be directed to the side so that the wheelchair can get in.

That being said, if the problem is being in a long line, in the sun, the wheelchair isn't going to solve your problem in the newer parks. I'd call Disney directly and ask if there is something they can do to help you out.

eeyorefanatic
04-26-2002, 06:57 PM
First off many of the lines are in the shade. If heat is that big of an issue then specify that you will need to wait in a shaded/cool spot when you get your GAC from City Hall