PDA

View Full Version : Devices for the Deaf

BigFerrell
04-10-2002, 01:18 PM
I am going in June and we are taking my Mother-n-law who is deaf. I heard that the theme parks now have electronic devices that work with some rides to provide info and captioning. Can you provide info on these or point out where I can find Info?

62 days to GO!!! smile.gif

Timbo
04-10-2002, 03:47 PM
Hey, my mother-in-law is deaf, too. Are you my brother-in-law? ;)

Anyways, just stop at Guest Relations on your way in to the parks. They will provide you with whatever you need.

For example, at MK, some attractions use Reflective Captioning, where the guest holds an acrylic panel in front of them like a mirror that reflects an LED display from above and behind. Similar to closed captioning the attraction. Some attractions have CC and must be activated by remote control (activators available for a $25 refundable deposit).

Some shows also have sign-language interpreters on a rotating schedule. You must call and request the free service at least 7 days in advance. Also, there are many CMs that know sign-language (they wear pins that say so).

After looking around, here is the page with all the info you need: Guests with Disabilities (http://disney.go.com/vacations/websites/disabilities/mk/interstitial.html)

Disney does everything they can to make the parks accessible and fun for EVERYONE. graemlins/mickey.gif Have fun!

[ April 10, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Timbo ]

Daveyk
04-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Devices are available at each of the parks. All you have to do is go to guest relations. You can also call ahead (407 WDisney) and tell them you are travelling with a deaf person and ask for some tips.

You might also go through disney.com to see what you can find.

Disney makes every effort to make an enjoyable experience for everyone, and sends the CMs through training on various disabilities. I'm sure you'll find them very helpful!