PDA

View Full Version : Water Park for Toddlers?

gabu55
07-10-2001, 10:32 AM
We're going to WDW at the end of July. It will be my husband and I, our 8 year old daughter, & twin boys who are 20 months old. We are staying at All Star Music. We are visiting family in Florida so we are only going to Disney for 2 days, one of which we'll go to the Magic Kingdom, and the other we want to spend at a water park since I don't think my boys will be able to handle 2 days of amusement park and it will be SO hot. The original plan was to go to River Country since I thought it would be the most laid back of the 3. But then I found out that you can't drive there, and since we'll be leaving after we go to the water park that sounds like a big pain. So then I thought Blizzard Beach since it's very close to All Star. But then I've read a lot of good things about Typhoon Lagoon on these boards. So now I'm totally confused. I was worried the wave pool at TL would be too rough for the little ones. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also has anyone been to both kiddy areas at BB & TL and is able to compare them? Any other tips for surviving Disney with small children would also be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

------------------

DisneyBaby
07-10-2001, 04:14 PM
I would suggest Typhoon Lagoon for your needs. First of all, there are more trees and shady places to sit, which is helpful with young children. The wavepool is great. The waves are very gentle by the time they reach the pool entrance. It slopes from very shallow to the deep end. Kids can sit or wade around the very shallow part and enjoy a mild wave action. The child area is great too. There are a bunch of shallow wading pools where they can amble or sit. There are some little slides that they might be able to do. There are shooting fountains that kids like to splash in. There are great slides there for older kids too. Your older child will have no problems keeping busy. Blizzard Beach has lots of scary rides and I did not like there kiddie area as much. There are not many shady places to sit. The water is colder to keep with the blizzard theme. The wave pool is nice but not nearly as spectacular as the Typhoon Lagoon pool. I hope this helps you in your decision. Have a great time.

------------------

indymom
07-11-2001, 12:06 AM
I agree with above. TL would be my choice as well. My teens enjoy BB more, but for little ones I would choose TL.

------------------
74-offsite
76-Poly
80-Poly
83-Poly
90-GF
93-CBR
96-offsite
99-offsite
99/00-SOG
next up-02-FW Cabin
I'll always remember the Magic!!!!!!

missmickey99
07-11-2001, 10:20 AM
I disagree. TL's wavepool has those periods of huge waves, which could easily cover a toddler in the shallow end. Plus, people get flung back at least 3 feet after every wave, so your chances of someone flinging into you are greater. BB's pool has only small intermittent waves, so it's much better for the little ones. The water is not cold at all. It gets as hot as 98 degrees sometimes out there, and the water is not very cold at all, except for a few squirting mechanisms on Meltaway Bay.

Although there are less places to sit, the kids area is much more visually stimulating than the tiny wading areas at TL, and there's more for kids to do.

Granted, the rides at BB are more thrilling, but your little ones won't be going on the slides at TL anyway.

The ground and "lazy river" are also cleaner at BB. At TL, you step on a lot of dirt and sticks when walking around the park. BB isn't as bad, and there isn't nearly as much floating debris in the water as TL.

------------------
Local Disney Chick,
MissMickey99

I Love My Mickey!

danpaine
07-12-2001, 10:58 AM
Another vote for TL. We took my daughter there when she was three, and she had a blast.

------------------
Working in Trenton, daydreaming about a certain Florida resort.

Port Orleans - 1992.
Port Orleans - 1997.
Boardwalk - 1999.
Next Trip - August, 2001 at Wilderness Lodge. Can't wait!

Triciaw
07-13-2001, 06:17 PM
Hi. I just got back from WDW with my 15 year old, 11 year old and 17 month old. I liked both, but TL was probably a bit nicer. There is this little lagoon area by the wave pools that have little more than a puddle deep of water and a bubbler that keeps it from evaporating. My baby loved that! 3" of water! He also loved sitting on my lap on the lazy river. In fact, he fell asleep. Both have the little lagoon areas, but TF was much shadier. ALl are congested, though with no room between chairs. Get to either very early to get a chair and a space by the areas your kids will play in.

------------------

gabu55
07-13-2001, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help. I think I've pretty much decided on TL, for the shade if nothing else! I read on another board about getting abrasions from the rough bottom of the wave pool at TL. Has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks again! It's so nice to feel like I've made a well informed decision.

------------------

Tiggerdog
07-15-2001, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gabu55:
I read on another board about getting abrasions from the rough bottom of the wave pool at TL.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, gabu55!

The bottom of all wave pools is on the rough side. If the pool was too smooth, then guests would be slipping and falling. The scrapes caused by the rough bottom are much better than head injuries cuased by a slippery surface.

Guests usually get minor scrapes when they body surf into very shallow water.

Hope this helped.

------------------