PDA

View Full Version : Best "Hidden Treasures"?

andywicks
11-15-2001, 08:35 AM
Hi all,

..I'm getting really excited about visiting WDW again in January 2002. It will be our third visit and I was just wondering if anyone can think of a great ride / feature / shop / or anything in each of the main WDW Theme Parks that is hidden away or easily missed (and hence makes it a "Hidden Treasure"?)

For example, I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of the countries at EPCOT?

What about the Magic Kingdom? I reckon I've done just about everything, but might there be a gem that I've missed?

Disney Studios is our favourite and I look forward to returning to The Twighlight Zone with eager anticipation! I can'twait to peel myself out of the mind-blowing Rock'n'Rollercoaster again too! ..but what might I have missed?

I can't believe that there is anything at Animal Kingdom that I've missed, but maybe you can prove me wrong? (Yes! I'm the English idiot who looks they've taken a swim after the Kali River Rapids and then wets the seat for you on Dinosaur (sorry!)

I'd appreciate your help here! ??

Disneywarrior
11-15-2001, 09:05 AM
For me, a real hidden gem is Ice Station Cool. It is to the right of the fountain behind SE. I love walking through the cold and snow on a hot day. At the end you get to try for free all of the coke products of different countries. Now where in WDW can you get something for free? We absolutely love this little oasis. graemlins/clappy.gif

jwold
11-15-2001, 09:33 AM
Food Rocks! - The Land (Lower Level behind stairs)
Cranium Command! - Wonders of Life

If you haven't seen these EPCOT shows before, they are definitely worth trying.

Wedway People Mover - Tomorrowland

Although most folks know it is there, few take advantage of this relaxing ride through Tomorrowland.

Magic of Disney Animation - Animation Courtyard in Disney Studios

Disney Studios is one great street show after another. Make sure you stay on top of what is happening where.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

MNNHFLTX
11-15-2001, 01:17 PM
I think Disney Studios is one of the best places to find hidden treasures! One that we discovered on our last trip was the "Walt Disney--One Man's Dream" exhibit, on Mickey Avenue next to the "Millionaire--Play It!" attraction. There are all kind of photos and memorabilia related to the life of Walt Disney, including devices used to make early Disney animation so realistic and early models of the theme parks at Disney World. Most people overlook this attraction, but we really enjoyed it!

Jennib
11-15-2001, 02:04 PM
Hi Andy-

I read a great article in the Disney magazine-I think it was the Jan or Feb issue, that had what you are looking for. It was called "the hidden treasure of epcot" and it was wonderful. It told me so many little tid-bits of information that I never knew. I would suggest going to the library and looking up this issue. It was very good!

I hope this help!

NYdaily
11-15-2001, 03:00 PM
take some time to enjoy the out-of-the-way scenery.
ex: the winding, mozaic-filled shops of distant MORROCO!
the quaint, timeless alley of flower carts off of mainstreet USA!
the dangerous and mysterious hidden pathways of HARAMBE!
the wonderful, EastEnders essence of the ROSE AND CROWN!

.......well, all except for that last one should be new and exciting! ;)
have a good trip!

Jared
11-15-2001, 03:07 PM
There are a lot of hidden treasures at AK. Not in the attraction form, but, next time you are at AK, just walk around. Look for little back pathways on Discovery Island or in the Oasis, it is very beautiful. And it is the people who don't see these little things, that think that AK isn't a great park.

Funforall
11-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Although not hidden, I think the character meals are treasures that not everyone takes advantage of. It's so nice to step inside away from the crowd and be treated great along with the characters being there just for you.

Claytonia
11-15-2001, 06:14 PM
A lot of the gardens at World Showcase are very beautiful and very quiet...last time I was there, I stepped into the garden at the Japan pavilion for just a few seconds. I was really struck by how beautiful and serene it was. The UK pavilion also has a nice, secluded garden.

Goofy Forever
11-15-2001, 06:27 PM
My wife and I love The Columbia Harbour House in the MK. Because it is out of the way it's not very busy and has good seating as well as great food.

TiggerRPh
11-15-2001, 10:32 PM
One of our hidden treasurs in Magic Kingdom is the Harmony Barber Shop. In Epcot, it's the flower garden between Future World and World Showcase (take the path to the right before the bridge). In the Studios, it's the Character Trailers down Mickey Avenue.

graemlins/mickey.gif

titleistboy
11-18-2001, 03:12 PM
Watch the fireworks at the MK from the Plaza Pavilion tables...not too crowded, actual chairs to sit in, and Tinkerbell flies right over you...for my money, the best seat you can get for the show, and sitting and watching for the half hour or so before they start is a great way to relax and soak in a great view...

Balootoo
11-18-2001, 03:58 PM
I have enjoyed a couple of really well-done exhibits in the gallery at the rear of the Japan Pavillion in Epcot. Once there was a fantastic show of Netsuke figures, another time it was historic Japanese children's toys. A great place to take a break and enjoy a few moments of serenity!

GoofyBarney
11-18-2001, 08:18 PM
The English garden is wonderful. Take a break, listen to The British Invasion, watch for Mary poppins and Poo. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/mickey.gif

JabberJaws
11-19-2001, 12:05 PM
Hmmm good question. Here are some of my fav sometime missed things in each of the parks.

MK--not much is missed here but some of my fav..non E-Ticket...attractions are...TTA(tomorrowland transit authority)...listening to the "pirate parrot" just above the outter entrance to PotC...and in that same area...actually near where the new Alladin area is there is a place that makes these drinks that are vanilla ice cream mixed with orange slush...it is THE BEST! has become quite a tradition with my family

Epcot--many people miss this restaurant but the Japanese steak house is INCREDIBLE! Also if you have never been to the Biergarten in Germany you should go just for the atmosphere. As a matter of fact all of the countries have a lil somethin somethin special that you just have to look for. They are all very unique and you get a different experience each time u visit them.

MGM--i am sure you have already thought about this but give the Sci-Fi cafe a try for lunch sometime. Also..I am not sure if they still have these fellas..but when i went this past december they had Sarge and his green army men...they did random sets in MGM...in all honesty it was one of the FUNNIEST things i have EVER seen in my life...be sure to see it if possible!

AK--I LOVE this park despite the many negative opinions of it. I think that you get a different experience each time you visit it. There are so many lil things to do here that all i can say is just explore..i promise there is a lot more going on here than you may think.

WDW85
11-24-2001, 10:08 PM
I really enjoy morocco, i like wandering around the streets and looking at all the little details that make up the showcase, all the showcases are fun to wander through if u have the time