PDA

View Full Version : Osbourne Family Lights at MGM Studios

DeDe
09-28-2001, 08:18 AM
Could someone tell me what this is exactly? Do you need a ticket for this? Reservations? We will be going in December and I have read that it is a spectacular site to see, but, what is it?

------------------

PolyGirl40
09-28-2001, 08:27 AM
From INTERCOT's Info Central - WDW Events:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
The Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights
November 21- January 6
Disney-MGM Studios
Those famous Osborne Family lights are back on the Studios backlot once again. Now they're 5 million strong. Come stroll down
Residential Street and feel the holiday glow of Mr. Osborne's over-the-top and all-down-the-street display. Put on a pair of our
complimentary holographic glasses and the spectacle takes on amazing new dimensions. The "snow" falling nightly on New York
Street gets you ready for a snugly stroll with hot chocolate as you admire the twinkling lights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It sounds wonderful. http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif

------------------
Carol, aka PolyGirl40
INTERCOT (http://www.intercot.com/default.asp) Staff Member
[email protected]

~ "Our Disney memories are part of who we are." ~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~

Planning a trip to Central Florida? Let Ibex Towncar (http://www.ibextowncar.com/) meet you at the airport!

Click Here (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/) for a Disney Vacation Quote.

WebDisney (http://www.webdisney.com/): "The Definitive Guide to Disney on the Internet"

Visit the INTERCOT Store (http://www.intercot.com/store/default.asp).

* We Shall Overcome *

[This message has been edited by PolyGirl40 (edited September 29, 2001).]

DisneyTeen
09-28-2001, 08:30 AM
Nope, it is just a walk through type thing. It is really cool. They make the backstage tour, well the house part of it, and do it all up with lights and christmas type things. Last year it was in 3D, I do know know if it is like that every year. You get into it with you Park Pass, once you are in the park you can walk through it. There are christmas Charectors all around and they sell Eggnog and things of that nature. I though it was a great time. The play Christmas music, it was good to see being from MAss and not being able to see snow and lights for Xmas.

------------------
1990-Fort Wilderness Campground
1990-Off Site
1994-Fort Wilderness Campground
1994-Fort Wilderness Campground
1996-Fort Wilderness Campground
1996-All Star Sports
1998-Fort Wilderness Campground
1999-Fort Wilderness Campground
1999-Fort Wilderness Campground
2000-Fort Wilderness Campground
2000-Off Site
2001-Off Site
2001-Wilderness Lodge Resort
NEXT:2001/2002-Off Site

DeDe
09-28-2001, 08:34 AM
thank you both! I can't wait to see it. I'll have the eggnog AND the hot chocolate.

------------------

aquaboogie
09-28-2001, 08:53 AM
Does anyone know the timing of this? We'd like to see Fantasmic! and then go see the Osborne lights (We've seen then set up for 3 years now, but never seen then lit up!) Can we do this? Or will we be kicked out of the park?

------------------
The best way to spend time is to waste it.
-Marguerite Duras

Last Disney Trip - Oct. 30-Nov. 4, 2000

Susie
09-28-2001, 05:38 PM
Last year I saw them right AFTER Fantasmic (the second show). Although the park was technically closed, nearly the entire Fantasmic crowd walked through the Osborn Family Spectacle of Lights before exiting the park. And there were NO dirty looks from cast members, either. They were smiling and handing out the 3-D glasses to everyone.

Susie

------------------

SgtTigger
09-28-2001, 05:58 PM
We had a great time. 5 million lights they looked great. The CMs were handing out glasses that made the lights look like snow flakes. They turn them on at dusk so the time may change a little from day to day. Last year the had a little skit they did right before they turned them on.

------------------
BRET
TTFN
WL-allstar sports 11-2001
WL-allstar sports 11-2000
allstar sports 11-1999
allstar sports 11-1998
allstar sports 1-1998
offsite 8-1982
offsite 8-1978

Nom
09-29-2001, 10:59 AM
They also have this fake snow-maker going, and it is such an odd sensation for it to be warm-osh outside while it is snowing! You can smell roasting chestnuts- it is truly magical. It was my favorite thing about disney at christmas time. Don't miss it!

------------------
"If you had wings, you could do all these things. Eastern will be your wings."

K8screen
09-29-2001, 11:38 AM
Is there a real Osbourne family?

------------------

TiggerRPh
09-29-2001, 10:26 PM
You betcha -

Just what *is* the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights and how did it start?

Jennings Osborne, a Little Rock, Arkansas, businessman, began putting up lights nearly a decade ago, at the request of his young daughter. Each year, he added to the displays. When he ran out of room, Osborne bought the two houses on either side of his home so he could continue his creativity. Neighbors complained, however, and the Arkansas Supreme Court ruled in October 1994 that Osborne's house, when adorned with the 3 million lights, was a public nuisance. Although legally barred from causing a "spectacle", Osborne still lit the display three nights. He was found in contempt of court and fined $1,500. The court suspended a 10-day jail sentence, but ordered him to pay $7,000 in attorneys' fees. In 1995, the Walt Disney Company brought the Osborne Christmas lights to Walt Disney World! Disney's agreement with Osborne gives it the option of keeping the display for 5 years, possibly longer.

------------------
...the most wonderful things about Tiggers, is I'm the only one.

Ray(aka TiggerRPh)
Intercot Staff : Disney & Orlando Dining; The Water Cooler

-------------------------
"Great tragedy has come to us, and we are meeting it with the best that is in our country, with courage and concern for others because this is America. This is who we are. This is what our enemies hate and have attacked. And this is why we will prevail."

George W. Bush

"We go on... to the joy and through the tears
We go on... to discover new frontiers
Moving on... with the courage of the years
We go on... moving forward now as one
We go on... with a spirit born to run
Moving on... with each rising sun to a new day..."

"We Go On"