PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the "parent switch" option on the rides?

minnie2002
01-22-2002, 10:45 AM
I have heard about the "parent switch" option I can't remember what it is called exactly but it is where on parent rides and the other waits and when one parent is done the other rides so you can wait in line togehther and take turns holding the childern that are too young to ride. How does it work and have you used it?

Thank You

Minne 2002

Leaving in six days

1990 "off site"
2002 asm

GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow
01-22-2002, 11:12 AM
The official name is "baby swap" (I like yours better!) and here's how it works. (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/babyswap.asp) Also works as a "grannie" swap, that sort of thing.

I traveled alone with my girls for their first trip, but I will be "swapping" with my brother this time around. So, I have not tried it myself, but have heard rave reviews! It is even a little "perk" if you have an older child who gets to ride twice (with each adult) while baby stays behind.

Have a wonderful trip! :cool:

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: GreatBigBeautifulTomorrow ]</p>

wendy*darling
01-22-2002, 11:37 AM
It's been a while, but I have used the baby swap and it is GREAT :D

Just as described, the family gets to stay together in line.
When it's your turn, one parent rides and the other waits. When the first parent is done, they take the baby and the other parent can ride.

I have to add tho- now that Fast Pass is working so well, I might consider that instead.
Sometimes the little ones don't enjoy the longer waits in line. ;)
With Fast Pass you can get both of your tickets at the same time. When your time window comes up- one parent rides while the other takes the baby around a shop or for a treat. Then switch.

Baby Swap may work best in some situations, and Fast Pass in others.

It's nice to have options. graemlins/mickey.gif

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: wendy*darling ]</p>

andywicks
01-22-2002, 12:15 PM
4 days to WDW and counting!

C U There!

The baby-swap routine works really well! We've used it on 2 previous visits - just ask a cast member when you approach the ride - they are very helpful! ...I'll leave the detailed description to the previous respondees!

..if you have older kids they get to ride twice - which is a bonus for them!

..we have definitely used the child swap on:

Tower of Terror
Rock'n'Rollercoaster
Dinosaur (was Countdown to Extinction)
Space Mountain
Thunder Mountain
.........and probably loads more that I cannot recall!

Have fun!

graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/laughing.gif :cool:

gordonsn
01-22-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi there. I just wanted to give you one tip about baby swap. It is not offered at every attraction and it works differently for each attraction. It is always best to approach a cast member outside the attraction to find out what the procedure is.

Have fun!

MKPlutoGuy
01-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Last summer we also use the baby swap option as well when we were there with my aunt and her baby. We rode while daddy stayed with baby, then daddy got to ride while mommy took baby. Definately saves time, and a lot of standing around! smile.gif

claysmom
01-22-2002, 03:00 PM
We use the baby swap a lot! It's great!

On Dinosaur we went through the pre-show right up to the loading area together. Then my husband went on the ride while our son and I waited in the gift shop. When he got off we "tagged" and I got in line to ride it. I don't like to ride by myself, but I made a "mommy friend" who was also baby swapping while we waited.

good luck and have a great trip!

We're leaving Feb 1 to go! I can't wait!!! :)

Jasper
01-22-2002, 03:33 PM
We have just returned today and saw the baby swap in action again. This was an adult only trip so we didn't use it this time but when we have in the past, it worked just great.

The comment made earlier about it being done differently at each attraction is very correct! My advice is don't be bashful! Step right up to the Cast Member at the front of the attraction and tell them that you are wanting to do a baby swap and ask them what you should do.

One word of advice, sometimes the CM can be busy doing a million things at once so be sure you have their attention and be clear about what you are asking. Also, don't be thrown off when a Cast Member tells you to take your small child into the regular line. At some of the attractions, the have you "peel off" somewhere close to the loading area and then take you to the wait area.

DisneyHog
01-23-2002, 12:06 AM
Oh yea, the baby swap is great. I don't have any kids, but I went down to WDW with my buddy who does have kids. They used the baby swap a lot, especially on rides like TT, and ToT. I would definetly reccommend it.

graemlins/mickey.gif

turtlepondkid
01-23-2002, 06:41 PM
A nice place to baby-swap is Splash Mountain!

There is a little playground for the kids and the waiting parents underneath the railroad bridge. It is a little tiny hole-in-th-wall that the kids can explore.
My husband actually wandered into the shop where they sell the pictures with the baby and the CM gave my daughter (who was 6 months at the time) a future Splash-Mountaineer certificate with her name on it, which according to the certificate, can be brought back when she meets the height restriction for a line-free ride! (Not that I'd use the certificate, because it really is nice.) We framed it and it hangs in her nursery.
Gotta love those Disney touches! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bjs6
01-24-2002, 01:32 PM
If you are using Fastpass and baby-swapping, do both parents need to get the Fastpass or just one?

If only one is needed, then the other could Fastpass a different ride.

I might be getting greedy here but just thought I'd ask.

TamSchmitz
01-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Will this work with more than one kid?? We have 4 kids ages 8,5, 2.5 and 11 months and I was wondering if one parent can watch the 2 smaller ones while the other parent takes the 2 older ones on the rides and then switch parents?? Would there be enough room in the baby swap area for me to have both little ones?? We are leaving on Wed and I just can't wait to see Disney thru my babies' eyes for the first time smile.gif

mickeynuts
01-25-2002, 02:33 PM
I don't see why it would be a problem to swap with 2 babies, just ask the CM and they'll help you, and yes, there is always plenty of room in the swap area.
A CM told us of another thing that is less well known, we had waited in a moderately long line for a kids' ride while my husband had our very large for his age one year old asleep in his arms. He was obviously becoming very heavy by the time we got on the ride (he woke up in time to ride) and the CM told us that one of us could have waited at the exit (sitting!) with the baby while the other parent waited in line, they then would have let us come in and all ride together. We've never had another need to take advantage of this, but it's nice to know! I'd be sure and ask the CM about this one first though, since I haven't seen it widely used, it might have just been that one CM being kind to a daddy with tired arms.
smile.gif Laura

Jared
01-25-2002, 09:47 PM
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TamSchmitz:
Will this work with more than one kid?? We have 4 kids ages 8,5, 2.5 and 11 months and I was wondering if one parent can watch the 2 smaller ones while the other parent takes the 2 older ones on the rides and then switch parents?? Would there be enough room in the baby swap area for me to have both little ones?? We are leaving on Wed and I just can't wait to see Disney thru my babies' eyes for the first time smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/clappy.gif Welcome to INTERCOT, Tam!! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

brer frog
01-27-2002, 02:19 PM
graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif Welcome Tam graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/muscles.gif

does the baby swap have to be done with young kids or can i help my friends out and let them do the baby swap with me on the rides i can't do??