PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror, without the Terror!

DisneyDreamer
02-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Is it true that you can go to the TOT and see the pre-show, but leave before having to go into the elevator? I'd love to do this, but doubt I could do the elevator drop! graemlins/blush.gif

howdyhowdy
02-14-2002, 12:55 PM
yes it is true. When you go into the "basement" to enter the elevators you can exit the ride. At least thats the way it was 5 years ago when I was at MGM last. Its sort of like on Space Mtn, when you get into the loading area, you can also exit if you change your mind.

SteveO
02-14-2002, 01:02 PM
I can understand be fearful of the drop but there is so much that comes before the drop that I just can't stand people not experiencing it. Yes, the drop is a tad bit scarry(and indeed a whole lot of fun if you are into that sort of thing) but getting to the drop part is 75% of the ride. Please reconsider. You are missing one of Disney's finest. Perhaps one of the best anywhere.

tiggerrrific
02-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SteveO:
Yes, the drop is a tad bit scarry(and indeed a whole lot of fun if you are into that sort of thing) but getting to the drop part is 75% of the ride. Please reconsider. You are missing one of Disney's finest.I'll admit that once was enough for me. Frankly it reminds me too much of the malfunctioning elevators at work... but at least in ToT's case they're SUPPOSED to do that.

I'm glad I had the guts to do it at least once, because SteveO is right, the lead-up to that is very good.

TTFN

Jared
02-14-2002, 03:53 PM
ToT is a lot more than a ride, it's a whole experience. It is definitely worth going through the preshow area, and then if you don't want to get into the elevator, just tell the CM's, it's no problem. smile.gif

Fantasmic
02-14-2002, 05:24 PM
If Patricia can do it ANYONE can graemlins/laughing.gif ;)

CJDDS
02-14-2002, 07:15 PM
The preshow is OK, and if you aren't going to do the ride, it is better than nothing, but the really great special effects are "upstairs", and you have to do the drop to experience these. Definitely worth the trip! graemlins/mickey.gif

Patricia
02-14-2002, 09:00 PM
yeah.. I did it.
I almost killed JanetMegan when I squeezed to hard around her neck, but I did it. graemlins/blush.gif The special effects are amazing upstairs and I'm glad I saw them.

That said...
I always go through the preshow even when I'm not brave enough to ride the elevators. The nice CM's will take you down a service elevator in the boiler room if you don't want to ride. smile.gif

DisneyHog
02-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Oh sure, there is a chicken exit, but come on, just do it. You HAVE to do this ride at least once. You have no idea what you are missing. If the ride is too much for you (which I can't imagine, because, quite frankly, compared to other rides in other parks, ToT is very tame) then you never have to ride it again. BUT, if you do it at least once and don't like it, then you have a reason to be scared. If you have never done it, then you just don't know, and trust me, you are truly missing out.

graemlins/mickey.gif

DisneyHog
02-14-2002, 10:41 PM
Oh yea, one more thing. Say you get the courage to ride, but you hate it. Well, the entire ride is only about 1-2 minutes long, and the drops are only about 15-20 seconds of that. It's over before you know it. Do yourself a favor and just try it. You just might love it as much as I do. :D

Disney2002
02-14-2002, 10:49 PM
I'd take this into consideration... without fastpass, tower of terror can have a very long wait. You may want to do the drop after all. At any rate, if you get sick easily on rides... maybe it's not for you... if you're just scared, go for it.. you'll be thrilled!

DisneyDreamer
02-15-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I do get a little bit of motion sickness, but that isn't what I'm worried about. I get nervous just thinking about the drop!!! After reading some of these posts I'm really tempted to try. I have until Dec 2002 to get up the nerve or chicken out entirely. Thanks! graemlins/mixed.gif

disnic75
02-15-2002, 01:00 PM
I had avoided ToT on my 4 previous trips to Disney. I am scared of heights so the windows opening at the top of the hotel totally scared me.
Finally this December, I was dragged on by my friend who insisted I would not be scared. I had the best time and was mad that we didn't get a chance to go back on. The view at the top was awesome and the drop was so fun. Take it from a former chicken, it is worth it. My next trip is in April with my rookie sister and brother -in-law. I can't to drag them on. :D

TheTronChick
02-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Here's a funny story--

My Disney Ma chickened out at the loading point and we waved to her as we borded the "service" elevator and she took the little "chicken" elevator out. well my dad, brother, and i ride the ride and have a blast, and go to look for her in the gift shop. we don't see her and there's a bit of commotion and we ask the nearest CM what's going on. much to our amusement (after learning noone was hurt) we find out that the "chicken" elevator was STUCK! it took then 10 minutes to get it running again! :laughs: needless to say when she finally DID ride ToT she found it less scarey than the chicken elevator.

I bet they service that thing less than the ride cars smile.gif

PKI Kevin
02-17-2002, 01:52 PM
I chickened-out once in 1994 when I was 12 years old. And I swear to you--the chicken-out elevator dropped faster than the ride. ahhhhhh crazy!

so I'm half kidding. aw well. Here's what I'm not kidding about: Ride ToT. It's the bomb diggity. Just remember one thing: when you do muster the courage to ride it, try to finagle a seat next to a large person (as in... generous in portions, or "pleasingly plump") so that the lap bar won't secure your legs properly. air-time, yo! You'll float all the way down the tower.

good times.

yeah.

shevys
02-17-2002, 10:35 PM
I have to agree with the masses here. This is one of, if not THE, best rides anywhere in the world. The actual elevator drop is a blast, the anticipation getting to the top is almost as good. Of course, I can't say more about the themeing than has already been said. Really a great show altogether and you should try it once. Good luck and have fun.

Shevys