PDA

View Full Version : I am afraid...

G
02-08-2002, 04:37 PM
I really love the song to splash mountain, and would like to ride the ride just to see the show. But..... I do not know if I can handle it. I get scared on big farris wheels. Is there any other chickens out there who have braved this ride? Would it be okay if I closed my eyes for the drop?

UltimateDisneyFreak
02-08-2002, 04:54 PM
Well, considering that the drop is 52 feet tall at a 48º angle, I.... Ooops, sorry, I know that doesn't help.

Anyway, my mom and I have been going on Splash Mt. for a long time now, and she still closes her eyes for the drop. It's not a bad thing to be afraid to go on it, just scream all the way down the drop to let it all out! If you feel that you can give it a try, I really think you'll like it. Then, check out your photo at the end and see what you looked like! It really is a cool ride, especially on summer days! graemlins/rotfl.gif (sorry, pun intended)
It's probably a good idea for your first time to go on it during the day, because you can see everything when you're outside goind down the drop, and the view is incredible! Hope you like it!

Disney2002
02-08-2002, 05:03 PM
It's really nothing at all... so many people think it's this huge deal... it's really quite moderate compared to say rnrc and tot

mitcam
02-08-2002, 05:05 PM
I needed to reply because I actually go on every ride in Disney except for "2" :(

1. Splash Mountain
2. Tower of Terror

I love roller coasters and like loops etc... However I have a big problem (at least my stomach) has a BIG problem with rides that "DRRRROP"! :eek:

HOWEVER!! I did go on Splash Mountain 1 time (not long ago) In line I thought I was going to just cry then we met the people in front of us. They were great they talked about how they had been on 3 times that day and they were going one last time before they left MK :rolleyes: (show offs)

So my husband convinced me to stay in line and go on it! (Did I mention it is my Hubby's favorite ride at WDW) graemlins/ack.gif

Anyways, I stayed in line and off we went, around every turn I white nuckled the bar and clenched my teeth - but no drop! Finally - after missing the entire ride from fear the drop came and I screamed and almost broke my hubby's ear drum - not to mention the nail marks in his arm!

I DID it! I couldn't believe it - ME, I DID it!
It was as scary as I thought it would be and I do regret I missed the whole ride anticipating the "drop" BUT I will be doing it again this trip - this time with hubby & my children (May, 2002)

By the way - the people in line who convinced me to stay on! (They were 6 & 4 years old) graemlins/laughing.gif

Have a blast do it just so you can say you did!

Good Luck!

goofgal
02-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Hey, Gail, I really don't think you'll have a problem with the drop. The ride itself is great and very imaginative and the drop itself is over almost before you realize you're on it. And if you close your eyes, it makes it easier.

Just look at it this way, you get a really cool 10 minute ride, with a 3 second drop.

CJDDS
02-08-2002, 06:48 PM
When Splash Mountain first opened, there was a walkway which allowed chickens to view some of the animatronics but not go on the ride. I don't know if this is still possible, since I don't pay much attention, but I remember the first year it was open my wife and daughter went on it. Any one know if this is still an option? graemlins/beer.gif

apollo
02-08-2002, 06:56 PM
This is from the biggest chickens around. WE DID IT!!!! We were there in October for 2 weeks and every day we said "are we going to do it?" and every day we would watch the ride and chicken out. Well on the last nite of our trip we were eating at Tony's during parade time and we finally got the nerve. We gobbled down our dinner and fought through the massive crowds at the peak of the parade to get to Splash Mountain. We watched one more time and entered. There was no line and the cm asked "who wants to sit in front?" My wife made me sit in front and she sat in the second row with our 8 yr old son. We were scared to death. I can see how people want to jump out-the anticipation is enough to kill you. There are a couple of teaser drops and you know the big one is coming so you hardly see the ride itself. Finally we reached the peak and my son said "Bring it on!" Well I closed my eyes and screamed my head off. It was over and when we reached the bottom we were soooo proud. My wife was almost in tears she was so happy. We kept high fiving each other. And we definately bought the 8X10 picture. It is hysterical and makes me laugh every day. Would I ride again? I'm not sure..most likely yes but my eyes will be closed. Try it once graemlins/silly.gif

cheshirecollector
02-08-2002, 08:04 PM
I recommend trying Splash Mountain at least once. Who knows, it may be your favorite ride.

Regarding ferris wheels, I'm not crazy about them either - they give you too much time to look down.

Just a reminder that there are a few smaller drops (like the drop in PotC or Maelstrom) before the final one. I mention this because when I went on the first time, I didn't know about them, so going down the first drop and finding out that it wasn't the final one yet made me more nervous.

Are you going during an E-Ride Night? It might make it easier if you don't have to wait in a long line. I go on large roller coasters, but waiting in line gives me time to be nervous.

[ February 08, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: cheshirecollector ]

Jared
02-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Gail,
I'm just like you; completely freaked out about Splash Mountain. I have never ridden it either, and every trip I want to, but then I chicken out. This May though, is the time, because I'm traveling with a friend who hasn't been to WDW in years, but says Splash Mountain is the only ride he remembers, and he loved it, so he's going to drag me along. I'm just going to close my eyes at the drop and scream my head off! smile.gif

OHIcOaster
02-08-2002, 08:42 PM
As others have said on here, I would definitely recommend that you ride Splash Mountain. I'm a coaster and thrill ride enthusiast so maybe my opinion is slightly tanted :D . Sort of a beat your fear thing.

A couple of suggestions:

YELL/SCREAM! Don't be embarrassed by this. Screaming and/or yelling actually helps you release all of your built up tension. Holding it in can make it much worse. Just imagine you're yelling at a person who cuts you off on the freeway. LOL

I'm going to go against the grain here and say you should keep your eyes open. I don't know if you have a fear of heights, but by closing your eyes you might become disoriented- not knowing if where you are. Actually, that might be more useful on looping coasters, but just something to think about. Others have stated that they closed their eyes and made it okay so I would do what makes you feel the most comfortable. Maybe start out eyes open then close when you get near the water? smile.gif

Whatever you decide, have a great time on your next trip!

[ February 08, 2002, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: OHIcOaster ]

disneydeb
02-08-2002, 09:38 PM
Go for it!! You can do it!!

Splash Mountain is one of our favorites and the drop is hardly noticable to me. It is one of the best themed rides around. graemlins/clappy.gif

SpecJoe Magic
02-09-2002, 02:01 AM
Definitely give Splash Mountain a try. It is my favorite attraction in the MK. The drop is not that bad. The anticipation is usually worse than the actual drop. I think closing your eyes makes it worse and you would be missing the great view from the top. Splash Mountain does not have the same fear effect that a ferris wheel has because you are not at the top of the hill for very long. I hate ferris wheels too because I hate just sitting there while others are being loaded looking all around while rocking back and forth. graemlins/shakehead.gif

RobFL
02-09-2002, 03:31 AM
I feel ya :(

I'm one of those people who gets all giddy talking about theme parks. I research the rides, I read trip reports, and I just can't wait to do it all, but I have a tendancy to chicken out when i'm there.

I have not ridden splash mountain. I will tell you why..

When i was roughly 7 or 8, my family went on a trip to Busch Gardens. I rode Stanelyville Falls to my horror and the Scorpion.

I found out that day that I did not like that sort of ride. I don't like falling.

Later, in 7th grade, and a few trips to Epcot and it's not so scary rides later, I went back to Busch. Peer pressure got me onto Montu it's opening weekend. I spent the rest of the day with a stress headache from being nervous and feeling sorta dizzy.

Flash forward to IOA's opening. I was so excited about the park. I knew everything about and it's rides. I couldn't wait to do it all. I, predictably, chickened out of the roller coasters, but managed to coax my mother (bless her heart..) onto the Jurassic Park River Adventure. She threatened to kill me if I ever did that to her again, but the drop was not the end of the world, all 85ft of it. I thought I had overcome my fear of flume rides.

Then we came around the inland sea to Dudley DoRight's Ripsaw Falls. I knew the ride was supposed to have grand theming and was wonderfully reviewed by those sites like "Screamscape" and "Thrillride" (talk about mising the obvious).

My mother just gave me a look and went to buy a towel while I, my sister, and my mother's fiancee went on the ride. The other two had both ridden the coasters without issue. The others were both diehard thrill fans. The others both considered bungee jumping and sky diving a posiblity in their futures. They hadn't met Dudley yet.

Drop one. A few floors. Slightly wet and scared, yet still okay. Drop two, you enter a darkened cave, to have a beacon light shine on you, the floor drop out, and then you fall even further, at this point we're sorta not okay.

"I'm not sure I wanna do this more" from me and "I'm certain I don't wanna do this anymore" from my sister. A series of pleading with the animatronics to save us ensued before we started up the final lift hill up the back of the ride. Brian (the fiancee sitting in the front seat) just laughed at us, his spirit hadn't been broken, yet..

We were in the room before the final drop, a sunlit portal opens into nothingness in front of us. I bite my bottom lip and grasp the slippery metal rails, my only restraint. Then the ride haults jarringly. The room fills with characteristic Universal fog and I can't even see my sister in front of me. The boat lurches forward and bursts into the sunlight and suddenly begins the plummet. The world races by and I feel the boat tilt downward further from 45 degrees to 50 in the rides distinctive "arc" flume design. I think i'm going to die. We crash through the darkness of explodin TnT shack and bottom out, the G's cause me to bite hard enough into my lip to draw a little blood. Then we shoot back into the sunlight over the bunnyhop, catching some air time, before splashing through the final rapids and under the bridge of tourists.

As I open my eyes I notice the boat is doing a U-turn and heading back toward the peaks. I pray breifly that the ride will actually stop and some sick twist of fate wont leave me stuk on it for another drop or worse, it had another surprise in store.. I wouldn't of been able to handle it then. I would of just died.

We disembarked and wandered back to my mother. "Have fun?" she said. A synchronized "No." came from us. It was a well designed ride, but blind drops and head chopping effects mixed with arced drops weren't what we were expecting.

Last month I went to the Magic Kingdom, after an 11 year abscence, for my birthday. My best friend asked "Wanna ride splash mountain?" I declined, my excuse: "Fear of the unknown."
-Rob

jefmblrd
02-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Realistically, only you know for sure if you can handle Splash Mountain, but I can tell you that it's really nothing. Most of the ride is a tame little boat ride going through Song of the South animatronic scenes, which are great. The large drop is over in seconds and is really fun. The biggest complaint most people seem to have is not the drop, but the fact that you can get pretty wet. Try it-you'll probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

CoolTimW
02-09-2002, 08:40 AM
The drop on splash looks much worse than it really is. I can almost stay relaxed the whole time. It's really not that long, and will be over before you know. Just go on and try it once.

K8screen
02-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Dont be put off by the description of Dudley do right at IOA. I love both this ride and Splash Mountain, but they are TOTALLY different. DDR is a very very wet thrill ride. Splash Mountain is a beautifully themed, typically Disney family experience. I have never got more than a few tiny splashes on Splash Mountain, but after Dudley I was as wet as if Id just done a few laps in a swimming pool. And considerably more scared!

Beach Club Babe
02-09-2002, 08:38 PM
If you love the music as much as you say you do, then this is an absolute must for you. I really don't mind the drop, but I like thrill rides. I wouldn't compare it with a ferris wheel. I don't like them either, it's not like that sort of feeling. We rode this past Aug. with the biggest chicken in the world. He liked it. He had never ridden anything more daring than Peter Pan's Flight. If he can do it you can do it. Like everybody else says close your eyes and scream if you have to. It'll be over before you know it and the rest of the ride will make it all worthwhile.

2PrincessesMom
02-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I don'tknow if this helps but My 5 year old DD went on last year and loved it. She says she can't wait to go on it again when we return in April. graemlins/muscles.gif

G
02-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks for sharing the great stories. I am going to try it. I am scared of heights so I will close my eyes at the top, but open them on the way down. I usually panic silently, so this time I will try screaming maybe it will help. I told my daughter(9) that I was going to ride with her. She is very happy, but now she is trying to talk me into TOT. I think not. :D

Daveyk
02-12-2002, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty much a big chicken. And I don't ride rollercoasters. But, I have tried all of the MK attractions (except Space Mountain, couldn't get the nerve for that one), and most of the ones outside of the MK.

Here's how I do it: I remind myself that its all in my head, and the rides are safe. They last all of 5 minutes total once you get on them. And its a lot of hype to get you 'hysterical' before you even get on it.

So, when Splash opened, I just said "I wanna try that" and asked a few friends what it was like. Then, I got in line. I enjoyed the show in line, and got on it. It was fun. Suprisingly, there were a few drops before the big one, and they were kind of fun, though my heart rate went up.

Then, came the big one. Sunlight streams in, and you know what's coming.....and for a few seconds you drop so quickly that you really don't have time to even consider how it feels. Then, at the bottom, you realize what you've just done.

It was fun, a bit scary, and I probably won't do it again. But at least I can honestly say that I did it.

MNNHFLTX
02-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Gail, absolutely scream when you go down the big hill--it not only releases tension, but it makes the ride a lot more fun!

My 9-year-old rolls his eyes whenever we go on any of the thrill rides, whether at Disney or elsewhere. Because no matter how many times I have been on them I scream. He says "Mom, why do always scream when you're used to this ride?" My answer is always that that's part of what makes a ride more fun for me! graemlins/doubleeek.gif

OHIcOaster
02-12-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by G:
Thanks for sharing the great stories. I am going to try it. I am scared of heights so I will close my eyes at the top, but open them on the way down. I usually panic silently, so this time I will try screaming maybe it will help. I told my daughter(9) that I was going to ride with her. She is very happy, but now she is trying to talk me into TOT. I think not. :D That's great! I think you'll enjoy it, esp. since another family member will be on with you. And I think you have the right idea about screaming- that will release all of that built up anxiety quickly and fast. At the bottom of the final drop you'll take a deep breath re-energizing yourself, and as other have said be like I did it!

Have fun on your next trip!

longlivethepumpkins
02-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Oh come on, you have to ride Splash Mountain! It's probably the only ride in the Magic Kingdom that I would call an equal to the Haunted Mansion and PotC! And this probably doesn't mean much since I'm a fan of roller coasters, but I think all of the drops on Splash Mountain qualify as fun, not scary.

DisneyHog
02-15-2002, 11:13 PM
You gotta ride Splash Mtn. Who cares if you don't like drops? 2 seconds VS. 10 minutes of wonderful Disney Magic? No contest. Not to mention, since Disney has wussed out and won't release Song of the South in the U.S., this is the only way we get to see this story. Just give it a try, it will be well worth the 2 seconds of falling, I promise. :D

goofgal
02-16-2002, 06:45 AM
Enjoy the ride, Gail!

snmthecloser
02-16-2002, 08:15 AM
Heres the deal...when I was 7 I rode it for the first time and I will not go on ANY roller coasters. It is not nearly as bad as any roller coaster. I say bite the bullet and enjoy, but it is ALWAYS your choice! graemlins/crazy.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

jokat
02-16-2002, 12:24 PM
My DH and I made an agreement; if we were going all the way to WDW, we were going to ride everything. We didn't want to come home with any "shoulda, woulda, coulda". Our friends still talk about how funny our Splash picture is. What a great memory, to be able to say WE DID IT and to have the picture to prove it! JUST DO IT! You'll be glad you did!

LittleSpirit02
02-18-2002, 09:40 AM
I am so scared of Ferris Wheels but I LOVE Splash Mountain. I used to be the BIGGEST chicken. I wouldn't ride any rollercoasters or thrill rides. But one year I decided to try Thunder Mountain, then I did Splash, and before I knew it I had even done Rockin' Rollercoaster! Splash Mountain really isn't bad at all. My mom doesn't like Rollercoasters one bit but she really enjoys Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and even Tower of Terror. They are nothing like Ferris Wheels. I think you'd be very pleasantly suprised. I'd try it. You know you'll come off safe and at worst - you just wouldn't ride it again. I say try it. Have fun! graemlins/muscles.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tunascuba
02-19-2002, 03:50 PM
I remember the first time I was getting on it with my mother, who is also very scared of thrill rides- She stoped one of the cast memebers that were at the beginning of the line and asked if this ride was scary- The cast memeber simply replied- "Lady, its a DISNEY ride" That has always stood out in my mind. :D