PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Island Animal Sanctuary???

cjdive
03-20-2002, 09:59 PM
What ever happened to Disney's Discovery Island Animal Sanctuary? :confused: I think it was in or around the resorts area and you had to get there by boat.

I remember years back that this island had tortoises, alligators, and all types of birds and reptiles. If I remember correctly, it was a few bucks extra to get in and all the proceeds went to the wildlife park. Is it still around? I hear nothing about it on these boards or see it in any guide book.

Any input would be great. The Island trip was always good for a short two hour break from the parks. smile.gif

Altair
03-20-2002, 10:11 PM
It's gone but not forgotten. graemlins/crying.gif

MORTIMER
03-20-2002, 10:15 PM
It was across from the Ft. Wilderness/River Country area. They closed it around the time that Animal Kingdom opened.

EmisDisneyMom
03-21-2002, 12:06 AM
We just went by the island and it is vacant. The captain of the ship said the animals that used to be on the island were moved to AK. He did advise that they do still have nesting beds for local birds and occasional inspections but for the most part it is just an island of sand, trees, and stray birds.

cjdive
03-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Thank you for the replies smile.gif

Oh well, Animal Kingdom was well worth it for these animals of this island. Kind of sad to see it go graemlins/crying.gif It was such a peaceful place.

Chris graemlins/mickey.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
03-21-2002, 07:18 AM
I believe the children’s Pirate Cruise still makes a stop on the Island to hunt for treasure. smile.gif

faline
03-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Always loved spending a morning or afternoon here wandering the peaceful trails. Loved the big netted section that contained so many birds. It's greatly missed!

captjeff22
03-22-2002, 10:09 AM
FYI - I worked as a Watercraft CM from '73 - '99 and DI used to be "Treasure Island" when it first opened in '74. The "shipwreck" on the southeast shore was removed from someone's backyard and towed out to DI. To get it on shore, we first tried to pull it on by attaching ropes and pulleys to one of the ferryboats (formerly known as "Magic Kingdom I & II) but that didn't work. What worked was using the first "Friendship", the 40 ft. Striker security boat, and creating a huge 5 ft. wake that lifted the old hull and depositing it where it is today. The mast, bowsprint and other goodies were added to make it look like a "shipwreck".

That you might like to know.

disneydoug
03-22-2002, 12:14 PM
captjeff22 that is the kind of info I love to hear about. Thanks for sharing your insight and history of WDW with us. Doug

mickclub1955
03-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Discovery Island has found a new home at Animal Kingdom. Safari Village at Animal Kingdom where the Tree of Life is has been renamed Discovery Island.