PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses

BizzyLady
03-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Many years ago while sledding down a huge hill I had a contact lens blow out of my eye :eek: Since then I am paranoid about it happening again and I tend to almost close my eyes on rollercoasters or make sure I have on my shades. :cool:

Has anybody ever had this happen to them at WDW or should I leave my mental problem at home with my DH?

10 more days!!! graemlins/clappy.gif graemlins/mickey.gif graemlins/clappy.gif

Toughbug
03-15-2002, 01:35 PM
As a former contact lense wearer (Lasik surgery for good candidates is a miracle - no glasses or contacts), I encountered no problems at WDW. But, I am chicken when it comes to Splash Mountain. And Tower of Terror. And Rockin Roller Coaster was not open last time in '01. But Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are okay with contacts. And all the other attractions as well.

Have a great trip!

Jeff
03-15-2002, 01:38 PM
I have never had a problem with mine (never tried Tower of T though graemlins/sick.gif )

AbbyabbyAbby
03-15-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm the same way BizzyLady:blush:....glad you asked the question! :D

imported_PolyGirl40
03-15-2002, 01:55 PM
My son wears contacts. He even swims with them in. graemlins/crazy.gif He's never had a problem on any of the rides - and he's been on them all.

Of course - we always travel with another set. smile.gif

BizzyLady
03-15-2002, 01:55 PM
OHMYGOSH!! I thought it was just me all these years. THANKS!!!

RobFL
03-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Certain other effects within rides may irritate your contacts though, for example:

Fog rides, like Bug's Life (has a tendancy to dry contacts out, bring eye drops)

And Beware of you position in Fireworks shows. Downwind is terrible on the eyes of those with good sight, I can only imagine the plight of those with contacts.

-Rob

BATWS Frank
03-15-2002, 02:04 PM
I've had lenses fall out while I was playing Nintendo :D

I never close my eyes on coasters, and while there have been times I've been concerned about losing a lens while riding, it hasn't happened yet. I would think that it very well could though.

The best advice I can give is to keep your eyes open, but blink more often than normally necessary

luvindisney
03-15-2002, 02:12 PM
I am a long time contact lens wearer and understand your fears. I was worried the first time that I rode TOT, but had no problems. I have ridden rides at Six Flags, WDW and other parks and only had the occassional problem of my contacts getting dry. I always carry around a pocket size re-wetting drops and use them when necessary. Unless you are prone to losing them, I wouldn't worry. Mine even stayed in during Rock-n-roll Rollercoaster. Good Luck! graemlins/clappy.gif

PunkyBBB
03-15-2002, 02:21 PM
I have been on all the rides at WDW and have never had a problem with mine. I ride a motorcycle with just sunglass and mine are ok, the key is to keep them wet, via drops or blinking. Good luck!

DisneyFreak1
03-15-2002, 02:29 PM
i have been on all of the major rides with my contacts, and the only one i had a problem on was splash mountain.. and its cause i got a drop of water in my eye and my contact rolled up on top/behind my eye.. but other than that i had no problems... oh Ttest Track isnt a problem either... (figured id let you know since that goes faster than the others mentioned above)

MNNHFLTX
03-15-2002, 03:36 PM
I've never had a problem either, but I do close my eyes during during the big splash on Splash Mountain--with soft contact lenses I figure there is a good chance a sudden wave of water into my eyes will wash one of my contacts out.

Meag0728
03-15-2002, 03:50 PM
My aunt wears contacts to the parks. With little or no problem. Sometimes they dry out, she has drops and she brings her glasses just in case.

I'm pretty sure she wears them on the "big" rides (tot, rcr, splash, bt) I seem to remember her putting drops in them just before/after we get on/off the ride.

Ltmoko
03-15-2002, 04:33 PM
I dont wear contacts anymore, (Lasik). I never had a problem with them. All of the rides were fine. The water rides, I would close my eyes or wear my sunglasses to keep water out of my eyes. I never swam with them though. I would bring an extra pair. Get a few disposables or trail ones from your eye doctor. I told mine what I was doing and he set me up for FREE! ( I got lucky )Keeping drops with you just incase they dry out is a good idea. Sometimes I kept a dry washcloth in my hand to blot my eyes dry if I got water in them. Hope this helps.

Hirpa
03-15-2002, 06:03 PM
I have ridden quite a few roller coasters with my contacts in....no problems! (Some of the ones at Cedar Point are pretty fast)

cjhallie
03-15-2002, 06:22 PM
I've worn contacts on everything, I even swim in them(don't open my eyes under water of course) and the only time they fall out is when they are really old-lol. I wear disposables and always carry a spare just in case though.

SteveO
03-15-2002, 07:24 PM
I were hard lenses and have had no troubles at all; have been on EVERYTHING in at WDW. No problems.

nygiants56
03-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Well, I play football basketball and baseball for my High School. Not once has my contact popped out. I also go snowboarding all the time and my contact has never popped out either. I love all the rollercoasters..the scarier and faster it is the better. I go on all rollercoasters imaginable and my contact has never once been messed up from going on a ride so I am sure yo will be able to go on all the rides.

Jared
03-15-2002, 10:28 PM
I wear glasses, not contacts, but my friends who have contacts all say they have never had a problem. (I've been asking all my friends who have been to WDW since I first saw this thread earlier). Don't worry, just bring extra contacts and maybe a pair of glasses and you'll be fine.

Tavel
03-16-2002, 05:37 PM
I wear semi-soft (gas perm) and had no problem on any rides, inc. TOT and RNRC. I don't even own a backup pair (of course, now I'm jinking myself), just glasses.

DisneyFanaticDargon
03-16-2002, 07:30 PM
graemlins/mickey.gif I visited Disney World in October of 2000 right after I got my first pair of contacts, and I must say that I have never had any problems with them (I wear soft by the way). I'm sure what happened on your sledding incident was just out of the ordinary and you shouldn't have a problem if you keep your eyes open on rides. Heck, I rode Millennium Force at Cedar Point with my contacts in and I was fine (and that coaster hits 93 mph)! Hope I helped!

MKPlutoGuy
03-16-2002, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PolyGirl40:
My son wears contacts. He even swims with them in. graemlins/crazy.gif He's never had a problem on any of the rides - and he's been on them all.

Of course - we always travel with another set. smile.gif Swim? Is it ok to swim with them Carol? I got mine back in Nov, so I haven't had them for swimming season yet.

I've sometimes had problems and always carry my glasses with me when I have my contacts in, just in case. smile.gif

Have4Boys
03-17-2002, 06:43 AM
I've been a contact lens wearer for years and wear mine on everything at WDW, too. No problems. Swimming is also fine as long as I don't open my eyes underwater. My husband gets jealous because I can see everything at Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, etc... and he can't (wears glasses only). If you wear disposables like me, you don't have much to lose! Go for it!!! graemlins/thumbsup.gif I think the contacts are better than glasses. Seems to me that anytime I've worn glasses, I'm hanging on to them on the thrill rides. Anyone ever lost their glasses??

BizzyLady
03-17-2002, 10:36 AM
The one I lost way back when was a hard contact lens. I have gas perm now and like you Tavel, I don't even own a second pair. I do feel better knowing that most people don't have problems with them. Thanks so much. You guys are great. graemlins/notworthy.gif

8 more days!!!! graemlins/clappy.gif