PDA

View Full Version : Backstage Tours- Spoiling the Magic?

Narcoossee'sFan
06-06-2001, 04:36 PM
I am thinking of taking a behind the scenes tour in February. I don't want to see a bunch of CM's on their smoke break in costume or anything that would "ruin it" for me. I am interested in seeing the "utilidors" and how they "run" the park, inspirations for theming, etc. Have you been on a tour? In any case, what is your opinion on this topic?

------------------
Valerie a.k.a. Narcoossee's Fan
Next Trip June 11-15; Following Trip September 13-16!

capnhook
06-06-2001, 04:38 PM
My mom went on a tour when down for a convention one year. She said it was facinating (she did make a humorous reference to Snow White on a smoke break.) All in all if you like knowing how things work then do it. If you want to wonder how things work don't.

------------------

Bouncy
06-06-2001, 06:01 PM
Well, we haven't done the MK tours, yet, but we have done the Wonders of the World Showcase at Epcot. We loved it... they DID show us behind the pavillions, but it didn't spoil anything, at least for us... now we know how they built the pavillions, and we have a little insight into the magic. Now, when I"m at Epcot, I look at a particular pavillion and I think to myself, wow, they used "x" technique to do that!

The other thing I'd keep in mind is that one of the reasons Disney is so special is because of the "magic". I can't imagine them giving away too much...

------------------
Bouncy, flouncy, pouncy! Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun!

PrinceVincent
06-06-2001, 08:26 PM
It sounds to me like you really shouldn't take a tour. I am biased, however...a majority of Cast Members DETEST backstage tours - VIOLENTLY. Keys to the Kingdom, etc., are evil and must be destroyed. You will almost definitely see CM's on break, smoking and doing God knows what else http://www.intercot.com/boards/smile.gif (not me of course - I don't smoke), you will see dumpsters backstage, you'll see everything that you know you won't see on stage, including Characters on break. I HIGHLY suggest you forget the tour, and maintain the magic.

------------------
Tommy
°o°

WDW Cast Member
Epcot Entertainment
College Recruiting

DisneyWizard
06-07-2001, 12:18 AM
I, on the other hand, want to see how things were built! I love seeing backstage - even though I'm around the theatre what seems like 24 hours a day, I still love walking backstage and soaking in the fact that I know how all the secrets are done. I would love to do that at Disney.

If you want to 'keep the magic' as people are saying, don't go with the tour. However, if you are like me, seeing secrets doesn't destroy the magic, it only makes it more interesting and intriguing to do.

------------------
"...I say believe in the future. The world is getting better."
-Walt Disney

In the works:
X Busch Gardens VA 2001 (Been there done that!)
-Cedar Point OH 2001
-Worlds of Adventure 2001
-Walt Disney World 2001
-DisneyLand 2002

Click here to vote for Intercot as the #1 Disney Site! (http://pub25.bravenet.com/vote/vote.asp?usernum=2106291801)

Karl
06-07-2001, 06:45 AM
We went on the Backstage Safari last summer, and it was incredible! I thought it was a wonderful addition to the AK experience, learning how they care for the animals, seeing the facilities, etc. I dont think there's a lot of "magic" at the AK park, so this didn't ruin it for us. We are looking forward to going on it again if we can manage it.

I don't know about the other parks though. Personally I don't care for MK, so I'm not too keen on that. The MGM tour would of been good before they changed it (well I heard it was changed, so I'm not so interested anymore), but I do think I'd like to see Epcot.

I'm really hoping that PrinceVincent is pulling our legs about CM's detesting backstage tours. Kindof makes sense, but I think it bring us "Disney Freaks" a little closer to the parks. Not everyone goes on them, and I think it's nice to share this with the ones that would like to know.

Anyway, just my thoughts...
KARL

------------------

Sander
06-07-2001, 08:13 AM
My boyfriend and I loved the Inside Animation tour at MGM. While we didn't go behind the scenes, it was still well worth it. Our tour guide said that we were trying out for a position as an animator at Disney in 1935. From the time we entered the park he didn't know anything that happened after 1935. We learned all about how Walt got started and how animation used to be done. Then we were taken over to the Disney Institute and we painted a Mickey Mouse cell. The tour ended up being about 3 hours long but definately and awesome 3 hours.

------------------

Ian
06-07-2001, 09:16 AM
I took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and didn't feel it spoiled anything in the slightest.

To the contrary ... I think it made it even more magical seeing everything that has to go on behind the scenes to keep the magic "upstairs".

I highly recommend it.

------------------
Ian: aka WDWacky
Intercot (http://www.intercot.com) Moderator - Collectables and Mousellaneous
[email protected]

Hi ... I'm WDWacky and I'm a pinaholic.

For more great Disney info be sure to visit our sister sites Webdisney (http://www.webdisney.com)

And for more info on the park that started it all visit Intercot West (http://www.intercotwest.com)

Bama
06-07-2001, 09:32 AM
Cool... I think we are going to do the Keys tour... It the the best one for MK?

------------------
šoš Bama šoš

We have 999 happy haunts here....But there's room for 1,000. Any volunteers?

Gibbain
06-07-2001, 11:15 AM
I went on the big three parks - all day - back stage tour last March, and it was fascinating. They took us inside American Adventure to look at how the show was done, it is essentially one huge machine. Then we went into an area underneath body wars to see one of the simulators in action from the outside. Then Living Seas into the area above the huge tank. Next it was MGM studios to see the area behind Fantasmic (they had the dragon part way out for maintenance. The also tookus through the building where the make all of the costumes and uniforms, followed by a great lunch at the studio. Then it was off to the magic kingdom. We went throught the central shps and saw a rehab of one of the carousel horses and one of the animatronic figures from Pirates. The guy who designed the Tigger animatronic for the Pooh ride gave a little talk and answered questions about how the figures are made an maintained. Then we went through the Utilidor system, the place where the uniforms and costumes are stored, and the computer center where we got to see the parade control room in action. Then it was up from the tunnels to Main Street where they showed us how to spot the sensors in the street they use for parade control. Finally they took us back to Epcot where the tour started.
Did it spoil the magic? Mabey a little, but it also gave me a never even imagined glimpse at how incredibly complex the parks are, and the amount of work it takes to keep them going on a daily basis. I thought it was well worth the money.

------------------

TheRustyScupper
06-07-2001, 12:03 PM
1) Backstage tours at AK, MGM, EPCOT show great stuff.
2) Backstage tours at MK can destroy the magic.
3) I recommend the other three parks, but skip the MK tour.
4) Learning interesting facts are fun at the three parks because they are exhibits, where MK is magical.

baggers
06-07-2001, 02:06 PM
Where can I find out more about there tours? Ie. proice and details etc.

Thanks

------------------
Paul B, aka baggers

figgie
06-07-2001, 03:24 PM
We went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour and loved it. It didn't ruin the magic at all. I agree that once you see all the work it takes to put on the magic "on stage" you really respect the CM's. I would do more tours anytime!

------------------
šoš figgie šoš

Imalismom
06-07-2001, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baggers:
Where can I find out more about there tours? Ie. proice and details etc.

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Info Central would be the place to look - http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/tours.asp is the link

------------------
Ali's Mom
Intercot Staff Member
[email protected]

Up Next: Shades of Green : June 2šoš1 - See you at the Intercot Meet!

I have a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use him...

LottaLubes
06-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Baggers: Here is a link to the info that's on Intercot:
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/tours.asp

I was also told you could call WDW-TOUR for more info.

------------------

baggers
06-07-2001, 06:29 PM
Thanks Imalismom & LottaLubes

I will definitely be going on one of the tours when I next go (probably KTTK)

------------------
Paul B, aka baggers

timestream
06-07-2001, 07:04 PM
I went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour a few months ago- and it was amazing. to me, it made it more magical. Much of the tour within the park pointed out things that you may overlook in haste, such as the the stories behind the names on the windows, why Walt's name is the only one facing the castle, and my favorite- a journey into the side alley to hear the dentists office of main st.
Yes we did travel into the utilidors- and it seemed just like any other sweatshop. Behind Splash mountain where the parade floats are, the attractions look like any other building. However- the magic is in how you are transformed when you walk through the park- and knowing the secrets can't steal that away- it makes it more special. It makes you appreciate the genuius in the design, the attention to detail. You realize taht there really is no other place on earth that can duplicate that aura.

------------------

TestTrackRacer
06-07-2001, 07:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bouncy:
Well, we haven't done the MK tours, yet, but we have done the Wonders of the World Showcase at Epcot. We loved it... they DID show us behind the pavillions, but it didn't spoil anything, at least for us... now we know how they built the pavillions, and we have a little insight into the magic. Now, when I"m at Epcot, I look at a particular pavillion and I think to myself, wow, they used "x" technique to do that!

The other thing I'd keep in mind is that one of the reasons Disney is so special is because of the "magic". I can't imagine them giving away too much...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Dad has said the same thing when i ask him to go with me.

I tell him, from what ive read, it wont spoil it... But he still wont go.

I personally would love to see the underground tunnels and haunted mansion scenes, and i dont think it would ruin the magic. http://www.intercot.com/boards/biggrin.gif

------------------
Chris
13 times and counting!

List of Accomplishments:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Summit Plummet Survivor
<LI> 3 time Epcot's The Living Seas Scuba Diver
<LI> Haunted Mansion Extremist
[/list]

"We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for 1,000... Any volunteers?" excerpt from the Haunted Mansion

Duckasaurus2001
06-07-2001, 08:30 PM
For someone like me who is interested in history and culture, the "hidden treasures of the world showcase" was great. We also went backstage in Canada and France. Followed it up by lunch in Morroco. Nothing beats having the world showcase to yourself for a few hours with someone who knows about the Epcot version and the real version.
Duck

------------------