PDA

View Full Version : Can you pet chickens?

Advnt05
07-01-2005, 07:37 AM
I went to a commercial blackberry farm yesterday to pick my own blackberries. The place had chickens that wandered out among the vines eating bugs I guess. One particular chicken followed me up and down the row staying close to my feet the entire time.
Can you pet chickens? If I tried, would he have flown upwards and pecked out my eyes leaving me to rot in the berry patch?

diz#1fan
07-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Advnt05: i don't know why, but your post made me laugh so loud. i can't stop laughing!!!but that is a very good question. i have never tried. still laughing, and will probably laugh everytime i see a chicken graemlins/silly.gif graemlins/laughing.gif

imported_PolyGirl40
07-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Yep - some chickens do indeed let you pet them. :D

Advnt05
07-01-2005, 09:26 AM
I still have my doubts about the chicken. Maybe some are domesticated enough (such as Mike the headless chicken: http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/ )to let you pet them but they can turn on you like a cat. My friend's cat will rub on your leg and purr. He'll even let you pet him for about 1 minute before the demon inside kicks in and he bites and scratches you.

lovewalt
07-01-2005, 09:53 AM
My neighbors have chickens and some of them do like to be petted.One in particular "Buddy" the rooster acts more like a dog.He comes running to greet them when they pull in to the driveway and crows at the door wanted to be let in.The do let him in for a few minutes on ocassion. Most of the others just run away but another rooster "Big Roo" isn't friendly at all. They keep him penned up becasue he will charge after you !

I would say that the one following you was more of a "Buddy" variety. smile.gif

NYdaily
07-01-2005, 11:45 AM
He was probably looking for the little critters your shoes kicked up from the dirt.

... or he just liked the look of you!

Jeri Lynn
07-01-2005, 02:27 PM
What a great post!! There was a big chicken a town over from us. It lived on these people's porch, it was not on a farm, their house isn't even considered in the country, it was on a somewhat busy road. This big white chicken would walk up and down the street, no dogs ever seemed to bother it. The funny thing is, it lived on the porch of this house but belonged to the people two houses down...and it ate hotdogs. I heard he died last winter. I kind of miss seeing him on my way to the mall. :eek:

Advnt05
07-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Now a chicken that eats hot dogs is my kind of bird. I hope it was beef and not a chicken dog. Why would a chicken eat beef anyway? Have you ever seen a chicken eye a cow and salivate? It's amazing that the dogs didn't bother it. I think chicken's walk with an air of confidence that frightens your typical domesticated dog. My friend had a duck that scared the mess out of his dog (and me now that I think about it).
I still am not sure you can pet one. Have one as a pet...maybe...but actually pet it? Who volunteers to try it this weekend?

fupresti
07-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Do the chickens have large talons?

ChipnDaleGal
07-01-2005, 06:05 PM
I still have a lot of residual chicken fear from my childhood. My mom would make me gather the eggs and the hens did not give them up willingly. I had to use my Romper Room hat to push the hen into th corner of the nest so I could take the egg. Got pecked plenty!! :(

Advnt05
07-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Chickens do have talons. Thats what they use in **** fighting. They've also mastered the art of the "bluck..bluck..bluck" sound that lulls you into a false sense of security before they pounce on you making you break out your romper room hat.

Disney Doodle
07-03-2005, 03:33 PM
For several years we have visited a cafe during a pleasant walk whilst on holiday in Cornwall called The Hermitage Tea Gardens. When my children were very young (probably around 10 years ago), we were there and they noticed a friendly chicken walking around the tables. Her name was Paxo (on account of she kept stuffing). As quick as could be, she lightly pecked my son's hand and made him drop his biscuit (cookie) and ate it before anyone could do anything. She was very friendly other than this and apparently lived in the cafe owners house choosing to sleep on their sofa. They do not know where she came from, she just appeared there one day having a fight with a dog. Apparently Paxo was winning. Several years later we visited the cafe again and mentioned the chicken to the owners and asked what had become of her and they explained that she was still there but now preferred strawberry ice cream to biscuits and sure enough she appeared walking between the tables. About three years ago we again visited the cafe, but alas Paxo had died of old age.

She was certainly an unusual chicken but did appear to like being fussed over.

Angie

RazdOnDis
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Advnt05:

Can you pet chickens? Not on the first date. :D

IluvDVC
07-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Zawadi Bill:
Can I nominate this for post of the year? I second the nomination! All those in favor?

BTW, I had an image in my mind that the chicken that followed Advnt05 around looked like the chickens on The Muppet Show...

diz#1fan
07-04-2005, 07:47 AM
these posts are still making me laugh. i need to shut the den door so i don't wake up the family. advnt05 do you eat chicken?

imported_PolyGirl40
07-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by diz#1fan:
advnt05 do you eat chicken?:eek:

Advnt05
07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
I most certainly do eat chicken! graemlins/tasty.gif If you want a visual of the chicken, she is full grown and dark black/brown. I think the biscuit/ice cream stealing chicken is a perfect example representing chickens (and cats to some extent). They blend in and seem harmless and then strike. In a military sense, the execute a "peck and awe" campaign.
When I was six, I went to visit my great grandmother in rural Mississippi. She asked me to get a stick and go help her find a chicken that had escaped from her hen house and had chicks out in her tall grass by her cow pasture. She sent me on ahead while she stood by the drive way. As I was walking through the grass, this chicken came out at me light it was shot out of a cannon. What was I to do? Like any smart person armed with a stick, I dropped my stick and ran screaming across the field. :eek: That chicken chased me for a good 100 yards. I'm still convinced that if I had tripped, it would have killed me.

SallyP
07-05-2005, 09:36 AM
All is revealed Advnt05, now we understand the theme of the post, recurring childhood reality nightmare. So please, blog away, the Intercot couch is always available.

Bill, should we still nominate this as post of the year since it is not ethical to discuss a patient's psychosis in public? ;)

Excuse my ramblings. I still have firework noises and smoke fighting for space in my head. graemlins/crazy.gif

d_m_n_n
07-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by RazdOnDis:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Can you pet chickens? Not on the first date. :D </font>[/QUOTE]graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif OMG graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif

DVC2004
07-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I love chickens! They are so funny to me, I don't know why. I have never been close enough to one to pet one, though. I think I would be scared of getting pecked, too.

Munch
07-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Gotta love this thread. I like the idea of a thread of the year nomination. Hey, there's an idea. It would be fun to see, after the first of the year, a sort of Intercot Highlights of 2005.

We could have different categories like the Oscars. Most popular thread, most informative thread, most I can't believe they said that thread, etc.

John Y and the Mods could post nominations and we'll vote.

I like this idea.

tink4me
07-05-2005, 01:17 PM
"peck and awe campaign"

ha,ha that is too funny graemlins/silly.gif

By the way great idea munch!

WDW-Geek
07-05-2005, 02:53 PM
We have chickens that live at the house next door, and they make frequent trips to our yard. I'm kinda graemlins/thedolls.gif evil graemlins/thedolls.gif , so I enjoy sneaking up on them and scaring them when I'm outside.

I think chickens are so funny looking when they run full speed. It's like all their weight is in the rear, and their feet are out front and going faster than the rest of their body can, and their head is just hanging on for the ride (it really reminds me of cartoons). Chickens can really move when they need to. :D

Yeah, a grown man sneaking up on and chasing chickens for fun. Go figure.

Advnt05
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I found the website of the farm that I went and picked the berries where the said chicken lives. Imagine my suprise when they advertise that they have a petting zoo! You can see the animals at: http://www.washingtonfarms.net/field_trips/pet.htm

There is a chicken pictured that looks similar to the one that followed me around the berry patch. Doesn't it seem like the implication with the site is that the chicken was there to be petted? I'm this close to going back with the sole purpose to pet this chicken. It's almost an obsession now. Maybe it's like the earlier post stated, it's a childhood traumatic event. I need to pet the chicken to release my inner demons. Could it be possible that this chicken is the key to my eternal bliss?

SallyP
07-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Okay, gotta ask, what is up with the Atlanta people (WDW-Geek & Advnt05)and chickens!?!

Advnt05, if you do brave the blackberry patch again, pet the chicken and find eternal bliss, will share the 'happening' with us? We want pictures of the rapture. Now if you return and yell 'The Sky is Falling', we'll know this has been a publicity stunt for Chicken Little from the very beginning. graemlins/crazy.gif

offwego
07-05-2005, 06:06 PM
If petting the chicken leads to eternal bliss there will be many more people heading off to affection station at AK...

very funny thread (this from a girl leavign the country without ever going on a farm after moving here from the city..it's hilarous to think I "know" people who pick eggs if that's the right term)

Personally I'm not a big fan of petting anything that doesn't have fur....

Teay
07-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I used to pet the chickens and even the pigs on my farm I had (before the State took it away to build the Suncoast Expressway...but I digress :rolleyes: )

That is...up until the time I came home from work to a home-cooked dinner and I knew my DH hadn't been to the store. graemlins/shakehead.gif

Words to the wise: when you live on a farm, don't name the animals. graemlins/nono.gif

graemlins/mickey.gif

Katzateer
07-05-2005, 11:00 PM
I have a picture of my youngest holding a huge red chicken with long feathers ( sorry, don't know the type of chicken). It was friendly and almost as big as she was. The look on her face was "look what I caught!"

And the place she was petting chickens-Fort Wilderness petting zoo-before her pony ride. WDW has very friendly chickens.

:D

QTPie68
07-06-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Munch:
Gotta love this thread. I like the idea of a thread of the year nomination. Hey, there's an idea. It would be fun to see, after the first of the year, a sort of Intercot Highlights of 2005.

We could have different categories like the Oscars. Most popular thread, most informative thread, most I can't believe they said that thread, etc.

John Y and the Mods could post nominations and we'll vote.

I like this idea. Munch....love the idea...the yearly I-Cot awards... graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif

This post is definatly for the birds ;)

Advnt05
07-06-2005, 06:50 AM
So on PBS last night, they had an entire show dedicated to the history of the chicken! There were people petting chickens right and left. One lady even gave "mouth to beak" to bring back her chicken that had been frozen. They really do seem like good pets. I am going to have to look at getting a chicken. Nothing beats fresh eggs. Now here's my next question, do you have to have a rooster for your chicken to lay eggs? Would they lay them unfertilized?

WDW-Geek
07-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by SallyP:
Okay, gotta ask, what is up with the Atlanta people (WDW-Geek & Advnt05)and chickens!?! There's nothing wrong with us, it's the blasted chickens! They're everywhere... graemlins/thedolls.gif

I found the website of the farm that I went and picked the berries where the said chicken lives. Imagine my suprise when they advertise that they have a petting zoo! You can see the animals at: http://www.washingtonfarms.net/field_trips/pet.htm
Whoah, that's funny. I've been to the Loganville farm before... It's right up the road from my house.

[ July 06, 2005, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: WDW-Geek ]

bibbidibobbidisue
07-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Is that a goat on an obstacle course in one of the photos on the farm's website? This place is getting more interesting by the minute.

imaprincez
07-06-2005, 08:59 AM
This is not a chicken story but a rooster one. One day at the cemetary (?) my mom, my aunt and myself were there paying our respects and minding our business. My mom went to go throw out the trash and to find some water for the flowers. As she is coming around some headstones, out pops a rooster!!! graemlins/clappy.gif Scared the hello out of her. It was quite funny though to watch her come running over. graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/silly.gif

Munch
07-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Now here's my next question, do you have to have a rooster for your chicken to lay eggs? Would they lay them unfertilized? graemlins/nono.gif The real question, the eternally unanswered question, is:

Which came first? :confused: The Chicken or the Egg?

Maybe those folks from Atlanta know?

Advnt05
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
You know...I never looked at the goat photo. It does appear that the goat is performing some type of obstacle course. How cool is that? I might have to run up there just to see that as well. At the latest, I'll go up for their pumpkin season and check out the entire production.
Also, did you notice on the photo gallery the pumpkin slingshot? You get to shoot a pumpkin across a pond to hit a target in the middle of the pond. As my cousin from Boston would say, "It's wicked cool".

[ July 06, 2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Advnt05 ]

bibbidibobbidisue
07-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Well, yes, I thought it looked like some sort of catapult, and after the goat picture, it wouldn't surprise me.

Pumpkin season looks like it would be a lot of fun. Please share any future experiences you have there! Let us know if you take out any chickens with that slingshot!

Nascfan
07-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I am going to have to look at getting a chicken. Nothing beats fresh eggs. Now here's my next question, do you have to have a rooster for your chicken to lay eggs? Would they lay them unfertilized? I just checked with a friend of mine who has a farm. She said you do not need a rooster to have the hens lay eggs. In fact, if you plan to eat the eggs, it's probably best to *not* have a rooster as he will fertilize them and that can cause blood to be in the yolk as the embryo would be growing a bit before you gather them.

mrsgaribaldi
07-09-2005, 05:25 AM
I went to a commercial blackberry farm yesterday to pick my own blackberries. The place had chickens that wandered out among the vines eating bugs I guess. One particular chicken followed me up and down the row staying close to my feet the entire time.
Can you pet chickens? If I tried, would he have flown upwards and pecked out my eyes leaving me to rot in the berry patch? graemlins/rotfl.gif graemlins/rotfl.gif I finally gave in and read your post, the first thing I was thinking was you could pet them if you can cathch them. Then when I read what you wrote, after I stopped laughing, I thought, you could still have stumbled out of the berry patch, couldn't you? How were the berries, any good? ;)

Advnt05
07-11-2005, 07:38 AM
The berries are actually very good. Usually, I pick wild blackberries and contend with the thorns, snakes, etc... These were on a trellis and were about the size of a large grape. I've never seen a blackberry that big before. Makes the picking go a lot faster. The only question becomes is it worth paying for them verses getting them for free in the wild?

Patricia
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
We have a chicken post? Where have I been?

Ok.. when I was 10 my Mom married a dairy farmer in Quebec. Not unusual except my Mom and I were from Redondo Beach California and had never been away from the City. As far as I knew the chickens we ate had never had a face.

So the new step dad sends me and my mom "into town" (I loved that saying) to pick up 50 chicks for the coop. She hummmed and hawed unsure of what she wanted and decided on 25 of each hens and roosters. She throws them into the coop and we wait till they grow. My step father has no idea there are 25 roosters out there for quit some time and freaked when he found out. graemlins/crazy.gif Ever heard of rooster fights? tongue.gif

Now, to get to the barn (my job was to feed the calves) you have to pass the chicken coop. Heart racing and being as quiet as a mouse, I would size up the situation and see what the evil attack roosters were doing as I approched the DANGER ZONE. If they looked up at me I backed off into a shed and waited. If they didn't look up at me I would run full tilt to pass them. I was sure they would claw me to death if they ever caught me.. and they tried to catch me! There was nothing worse then knowing that those birds were running right behind me ready to make beak to seat contact at any moment. Eventually I devised a trail that took me through a barbed wire fence (safer in my mind) just to avoid the area all together. If anybody asked me to gather the eggs I would start in with my attack bird theory and flat out refuse. graemlins/nono.gif

Never trust a chicken. ;)

ChipnDaleGal
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Patricia - that was great!!! graemlins/notworthy.gif graemlins/notworthy.gif

I am so glad that I am not the only one here that is scarred from childhood chicken trauma!!

And you story reminds me very much of how my brother and I would run to escape the killer cows that we had!! ;)

[ July 11, 2005, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: ChipnDaleGal ]

Patricia
07-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Oh yes, the tail whipping, side kicking, head butting, step on your toe cows... Don't even get me started. :rolleyes:

In hindsight I also wish there had been a "Top Ten Reasons" not to ride a clydesdale horse.. graemlins/blush.gif

DisneyDudet
07-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by fupresti:
Do the chickens have large talons? You took the words right out of my mouth!

My bf has a picture at FW where he was biking (he accidentally thought a gated path was open for bikers) and there were TONS of chickens being tested for something.

I wouldn't pet those.

If you bent down and held your hand out, you could be like the Disney Princesses witht he birds eating out of your hands.

I feel like Mary Poppins should start singing right about now.

"Toppins a bag!"

Advnt05
07-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the post Jessica. That clears up a lot of misconceptions about the friendliness of chickens. Now my next question. Is it just the roosters that are bad? Are the hens just as cranky?
I'm also wary of cows. I went for a run in Montana a few years back and went through a pasture full of cows. I stopped to walk through them so they wouldn't get scared. Wouldn't you know that they started following me? Talk about freaking you out. I had to run to escape. Cows, it turns out, are not much into jogging (despite what the chick-fil-a folks would have you think).

Patricia
07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Cows always pick a leader, I guess you were it that day. :D

And hens do have their own nasty moments. graemlins/nono.gif

PiratesCove
07-12-2005, 11:16 PM
If I tried, would he have flown upwards and pecked out my eyes leaving me to rot in the berry patch? HAHAHAHA! Oh man....that made me laugh out loud!

In the 5th grade...er..only a few years ago.. ;) I had a science experiment about hatching chickens. My parents let me keep 5 of them at my Grandmother's house.

(Little did I realize WHY they were so generous with me! graemlins/tasty.gif )

I would hold them like a puppy and pet them, they really liked it!

That is....UNTIL is was time to take my PETS to the Butcher!!!AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!! graemlins/shakehead.gif

That's a whole different story....it actually took years for me to forgive my Mom! My Brother truly enjoyed telling me at the dinner table that we were eating one of my chickens! :( I wasn't happy! Anywho, wow...that helped me vent...Nice! graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Advnt05
07-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Can you believe that July 15th is National Cow Day? What do you do on cow day? Maybe abstain from eating beef?

Who wants to organize the national "Pet a chicken" Day?

PiratesCove
07-14-2005, 05:31 PM

Who wants to organize the national "Pet a chicken" Day? HAHA! As long as my Mother can't get a hold of them! :rolleyes:

DisneyRN
07-14-2005, 10:42 PM
When I was six, I went to visit my great grandmother in rural Mississippi. She asked me to get a stick and go help her find a chicken that had escaped from her hen house and had chicks out in her tall grass by her cow pasture. She sent me on ahead while she stood by the drive way. As I was walking through the grass, this chicken came out at me light it was shot out of a cannon. What was I to do? Like any smart person armed with a stick, I dropped my stick and ran screaming across the field. :eek: That chicken chased me for a good 100 yards. I'm still convinced that if I had tripped, it would have killed me. Okay, so we are sounding worse and worse here in the South...

Did you know that you can rock a chicken to sleep? :eek:

My in-laws have always had farm animals on their 120 acres down the road from us (Don't even get me started on the minature horse that they put in their laundry room during Hurricane Ivan last year... you know, cause he would've blown away graemlins/shakehead.gif ).

Anyways, so DH used to take me in the chicken/pig yard and pick up the chickens. He would lay them on their backs in one hand, tuck their head beneath their wing, and pet their chest with the other hand. And very slowly, he would rock them in a circle. Sure enough, it puts them in some sort of trance as long as they are moving. And if you do it long enough, you can actually put them down and walk away... and they stay curled up in a ball asleep. graemlins/sleepin.gif

I swear to the Lord that I have seen this done...DH's good!

HollyB
07-15-2005, 12:43 AM
I too have had post-traumatic chicken disorder. When I was a kid, we'd go to my great uncle's farm. He'd let us grind up corn cobs with this old fashion corn cob striper thing that you hand cranked. It pulled the dried kernels right off the cob. This part was rather fun. THEN he suggested we take the corn down to the chicken coop to feed them. We walked in with a bucket of the corn and chickens came out from EVERYWHERE. They flew (well, flapped excitedly!) at us and we dropped the bucket and RAN! Uncle thought it was hysterical. It made me afraid of birds. Don't even ask about when I was in college and visited Trafalgar Square. graemlins/nono.gif All those pigeons. . . still gives me nightmares. &lt;&lt;&lt;shudder&gt;&gt;&gt;

Advnt05
07-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Maybe Alfred Hitchcock was on to something with that "The Birds" movie? I bet chickens would have been just as terrifying as crows. I'm starting to wonder if that "Chicken Run" movie was just propaganda put out by the chickens to improve their image.

I know they're plotting something. graemlins/thedolls.gif

offwego
07-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Patricia:
Cows always pick a leader, I guess you were it that day. :D

And hens do have their own nasty moments. graemlins/nono.gif Going way off topic where abouts in Quebec? I was born in Montreal, moved to TO and now live outside Ottawa near the Quebec Border....around here one drives into town too...

Hull-onian
07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Patricia, That was a great chicken story. Bet you could write a book and call it "Green Acres",
graemlins/doubleeek.gif .

MissOrlando98
07-21-2005, 03:41 PM
what an odd question lol

TwinPrincesses
07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
DD petted the ducks on Tom Sawyer Island on our last trip. Tamest ducks I have ever seen. No wonder with all the food they probably get at WDW from all the visitors.

Patricia
07-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by offwego:
Going way off topic where abouts in Quebec? I was born in Montreal, moved to TO and now live outside Ottawa near the Quebec Border....around here one drives into town too... It was Shawville Quebec. Ottawa is so pretty.. I miss being able to going there.

Did you know that you can rock a chicken to sleep?Are you suggesting we pick up a killer chicken? graemlins/doubleeek.gif

offwego
07-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Patricia:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by offwego:
Going way off topic where abouts in Quebec? I was born in Montreal, moved to TO and now live outside Ottawa near the Quebec Border....around here one drives into town too... It was Shawville Quebec. Ottawa is so pretty.. I miss being able to going there.

Did you know that you can rock a chicken to sleep?Are you suggesting we pick up a killer chicken? graemlins/doubleeek.gif </font>[/QUOTE]Shawville is just across the way..I'm in Renfrew.

To make that freaker Patrica when we went to Disney in 2004 Jan we ran into a CM in World of Disney from Peurto Rico who had lived in Shawville on a co-op exhcange program.

That town sure gets around!!

Patricia
07-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Please ignore this non chicken post:

Shawville is just across the way..I'm in Renfrew. Funny. We had to always go to Renfrew to see movies. ;)

Even weirder, my Grandpa lived in a home in Renfrew and my mother eventually lived there herself for quit a few years before coming to spend her last few years with me here in Kelowna.

If your Catholic my mom was at one time the house keeper to the priests in Renfrew. They all know her well.

Resume your chicken discussion...

Advnt05
02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Just when you thought it was over! From CNN:

Kiss of life makes Boo Boo the chicken better

ARKADELPHIA, Arkansas (AP) -- This chicken had lips, just not her own.

A retired nurse saved her brother's chicken, Boo Boo, by administering mouth-to-beak resuscitation last week after the fowl was found floating face down in the family's pond.

Marian Morris said she hadn't had any practice with CPR in years, but she was interested to see if she "still had it."

"I breathed into its beak, and its dadgum eyes popped open," Morris said. "I breathed into its beak again, and its eyes popped open again. I said, 'I think this chicken's alive now. Keep it warm."'

She said she did not know how to find a pulse on a chicken.

Boo Boo's owners, Jackie and Becky Calhoun, put her in a large cardboard box containing a grain feeder and water. They also placed a heater nearby.

The chicken is called Boo Boo because she is easily frightened. The Calhouns thought Boo Boo was startled and flopped into the pond.

pedro2112
02-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Do the chickens have large talons?

Wow, I'm surprised no one got this movie reference. Especially considering the popularity of the movie.

Advnt05
02-08-2006, 03:07 PM
It is funny referring to Napoleon like that. You can probably do that through a variety of situations. I tell my wife all the time to "fix your own quesedilla".

Patricia
08-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Ahh! I was doing a search for something else and the chicken thread popped up.

This has to be one of the funnier icot threads.

:chicken:

tyandskyesmom
08-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Skye (my 3 year old) absolutely loves Chickens...they can do no wrong! She has three idential stuffed chicks...ChiChi, ChaCha, and ChoCho. Well they're identical except for ChiChi whi is the oldest (she got him when she was one) who has seen a lot of lovin'! She also has a whhite blanket with ducks on it which when she was a baby she insisted were chickens so it's name is ChiChi Beese (don't ask!) and she has every book she can find about chickens. She would sit at the zoo in the petting area waiting for a chicken to want to be pet...I mean anyone could pet a goat! Her eyes light up at the sight of a chicken...on TV, a real one, a cartoon one, a stuffed animal one...you name it, she loves it!

I better keep her away from this scary chicken thread!!!

conorsmom2000
08-29-2007, 05:09 PM
This was, without a doubt, one of the funniest threads I've ever read here! :funny::funny::funny:

It don't believe I've ever had the opportunity to even consider petting a chicken. I do randomly get the brilliant idea to go to the pond in town and feed the ducks. It usually takes about 5 minutes before we are over run with ducks and huge geese and I'm freaking out. Our last venture ended with with me yelling "abort!", Con losing his ice cream cone to them and all of us running for the car. :blush:

Next spring it will probably seem like a good idea again.... :D

disneynarula
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I still have a lot of residual chicken fear from my childhood. My mom would make me gather the eggs and the hens did not give them up willingly. I had to use my Romper Room hat to push the hen into th corner of the nest so I could take the egg. Got pecked plenty!! :(

OMG this is so funny. This is the funniest post ever.

Advnt05
08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
I can't believe this thread was revived. I can add to the Chicken story now as there is now a Rooster involved. There is an abandoned chicken house where I mountain bike. I guess they got everyone out except this escaped Rooster. He walks around the State Park and eats bugs and sings. Last week, he came up to my car and followed me around the car. I think he figured out he can eat dead bugs off the fronts of vehicles. He's pretty enough to pet but I don't dare try. Roosters have a little ruffian in them. They'll get you when you're not looking.

PirateLover
08-30-2007, 06:12 PM
He walks around the State Park and eats bugs and sings.
LOL! I just got a picture of the rooster from Robin Hood... "Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day!"

TheDuckRocks
08-30-2007, 07:04 PM
LOL! I just got a picture of the rooster from Robin Hood... "Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day!"

LOL :funny: It's back!
Did I ever tell you about the time when my kids were little and I told them I was never a baby like other people, but was a chick that my mother (who was a witch) turned into a little girl?
My middle kid Todd, believed it for years. The icing on the cake was when Halloween rolled around unknowingly my mom hung this huge witch poster on her front door. Sealed the deal.

Patricia
03-26-2009, 07:24 PM
So.. on the chicken front, it appears more and more chickens will be free to terrorize children right in their very own backyards. Here in some British Columbia municipalities, they are starting to allow people to raise chickens in their own backyards.

This month, Vancouver city council voted unanimously to change city bylaws to legalize the keeping of urban hens.

They are calling them urban hens? :rolleyes: We all know a chicken by any other name.. is still a terror.

I'll have to keep a close eye on my neighbors if this comes to Kelowna. :look:

Hull-onian
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
I love this thread, I never thought about chickens really. Only Perdue chickens, the kind you get in the supermarket.:blush:

Mickey'sGirl
03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
My cousin had a pet chicken who would toboggan with us in the winter. Honestly. It was weird.

offwego
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
My cousin had a pet chicken who would toboggan with us in the winter. Honestly. It was weird.

It was weird as opposed to say frequently found on tobboggans everywhere?

Thanks to whoever revived it..couldn't remember the name of Shawville and it kept coming up this month.
Detroit altered their bylaws as well to allow chicken keeping in urban areas. I thought my doggie was work!

Tinkerfreak
03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Okay, so we are sounding worse and worse here in the South...

Did you know that you can rock a chicken to sleep? :eek:

My in-laws have always had farm animals on their 120 acres down the road from us (Don't even get me started on the minature horse that they put in their laundry room during Hurricane Ivan last year... you know, cause he would've blown away graemlins/shakehead.gif ).

Anyways, so DH used to take me in the chicken/pig yard and pick up the chickens. He would lay them on their backs in one hand, tuck their head beneath their wing, and pet their chest with the other hand. And very slowly, he would rock them in a circle. Sure enough, it puts them in some sort of trance as long as they are moving. And if you do it long enough, you can actually put them down and walk away... and they stay curled up in a ball asleep. graemlins/sleepin.gif

I swear to the Lord that I have seen this done...DH's good!

Is he kind of like the chicken whisperer:D

jrkcr
03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I grew up on a farm in South Carolina. It was my job every morning (age 5) to go collect the eggs and feed the chickens. We had Rhode Island Reds. The hens were so sweet and I could pet them and carry them around. But the two roosters...:thedolls: they would RUN after me and try to jump on my legs with their talons!! Like tag-team wrestlers!!
I carried a metal feed bucket(an old paint can) and after overcoming the initial fear and impulse to run, I found it very fun to WHACK the roosters with the feed bucket, and knock them out cold!!! My mom taught me that trick. :thumbsup: Thirty years later, and I can still hear the sound of the paint can. After a few times of me whacking them, they left me alone.

We plan to move this summer, and if we are in a non-populated place, we plan to have chickens. But no roosters! :chicken:

beksy
03-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Last time I went home for a visit I found out that we have TWO CHICKENS IN OUR YARD! There aren't any neighbors with chickens or anything but one chicken appears regularly and sometimes brings her friend. They like to eat the food under the bird feeders. Before these I never had a problem with chickens, but I'm pretty sure that with these chickens their eyes start glowing red when I'm spotted! Then they "innocently" walk toward me and follow me to the house where I can make my escape. I think that these are probably twice the size of your nomal chicken and enjoy eating humans when the bird seed runs low. My parents don't seem to believe me. :confused: Of course, these chickens appear out of the bushes and trees when my family isn't around to try to carry through their evil plot. Apparently they are also very smart and sneaky. :thedolls:

Advnt05
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
With the increase in organic farming, there are now classes in the city of Atlanta on how you can raise your own chickens. I imagine some day, you'll be able to walk a chicken on a leash anywhere you go. The exciting part will be that you may get an egg at anytime and would get a snack as you did your walk.

Can a chicken lay an egg if there is no rooster? If so, can you still eat it?

scrappy
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Can a chicken lay an egg if there is no rooster? If so, can you still eat it?

Yes, chickens lay eggs no matter what. If there's a rooster around then the eggs may be fertilized. I think it's preferable to eat eggs that aren't fertilized.

FYI, I live in a very rural town and can't believe that our town ordinances do not allow for chickens when I'm learning that cities and towns everywhere do allow them. My husband and I really want to raise a few as pets and for the eggs, along with a small vegetable garden. I think it's time to have a meeting with the city council...

garymacd
03-31-2009, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE=Munch;468098Which came first? :confused: The Chicken or the Egg? [/QUOTE]

The Egg came first. At the risk of inflaming a lot of people, the original chicken that we know today had to come from somewhere. It came from an egg from a bird that was not a chicken as we know it today. The bird in the egg was a mutation that was more successful than the bird it came from.

In answer to "Can a chicken lay an egg without a rooster around?", yes they can and do. Egg laying chickens lay roughly one egg a day for about a year before they are "layed out". Egg farmers usually have about 15000 chickens in one barn and only one rooster. He stays in the same barn as the hens, but can't get at them. Egg farmers want eggs, not chicks. His only job is to keep the hens calm - believe it or not.

You can eat fertilised eggs, but you have to be quick. Fertilised eggs have a gestation period of about 21 days and the chick starts to form very quickly after laying. You can always refrigerate the egg, which will stop gestation.

Advnt05
04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I could make so many jokes about needing to have a rooster around to keep the hens calm but I won't go there. :secret:

Here is another question for you then. If a hen usually only lays for a year, what is the life expectancy of a hen? If I don't eat her for dinner, how long will she be a "dependent" before naturally kicking the bucket?

Stitchahula
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I have to admit that I have never thought of petting a chicken. My neighbor's had a farm when I was growing up. They had chickens and a rooster all I knew was you stayed far away from the rooster he was mean. I stayed with the horses, cows and sheep if I wanted to pet something.

PirateLover
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I have not much to add on the chicken front, other than a recent news item about local eggs coming from a factory where the poor chickens were abused, but I just wanted to say that I really started laughing out loud when I saw that this thread was revived again! Love it.

scrappy
04-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I could make so many jokes about needing to have a rooster around to keep the hens calm but I won't go there. :secret:

Here is another question for you then. If a hen usually only lays for a year, what is the life expectancy of a hen? If I don't eat her for dinner, how long will she be a "dependent" before naturally kicking the bucket?

A hen will lay eggs nearly daily for two years, thereafter it will be a bit more sporadic, of course there are always exceptions. I believe the "normal" life span is five to six years, but again there are exceptions. I've read of chickens living to 15 years, but I'm sure that's a rare event.

garymacd
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Roosters keeping hens calm. Sounds like an oxymoron to me, too, but that's what they claim. Sure doesn't work around my place! :rotfl:

A chicken's regular lifespan can be eight years and some can live to be 15 years old! That's a long time to keep a bird after she isn't giving you eggs. Don't bother keeping one this long and expect a good plateful of eating, though. It will be so tough and have so little fat you won't want it.

Most egg laying chickens are just over one year old when they are layed out and are sent on to the next phase of their careers - Swanson's or Campbell's. I know it sounds young, but the chickens you get at the store or your favourite KFC, Swiss Chalet, Popeye's is about two months old. Any older and they are too big for your plate, or they start developing weird habits, like crowing or laying eggs.

So much trivia.

So little time.

Such a small audience at home.

And they usually tune me out.

My brain hurts!

divinedi
04-16-2009, 10:27 AM
No chicken story, one about a cow pasture, flip flops, and a white sweater :sick:.

Very funny post, first time I've read it :thumbsup:

Advnt05
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Not really a chicken story either. A farmer brought his bottle fed 3 week old sheep to our local farmers market. "Flower" is pretty cute. I did not know that baby sheep like to play with humans. He put it in a grassy yard with 3-4 4 year old boys. The boys would run and Flower would bounce along chasing them. Craziest thing that a baby sheep hopping can keep up with running boys.

Princess'Mom
04-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Not really a chicken story either. A farmer brought his bottle fed 3 week old sheep to our local farmers market. "Flower" is pretty cute. I did not know that baby sheep like to play with humans. He put it in a grassy yard with 3-4 4 year old boys. The boys would run and Flower would bounce along chasing them. Craziest thing that a baby sheep hopping can keep up with running boys.

Lambs are so sweet at that age - my daughter loves playing with them at her Granny's farm!