PDA

View Full Version : Just Got a 3D Printer

magicofdisney
12-03-2019, 03:28 PM
My husband just bought a 3D printer for him and our son. It's SO COOL! Super slow, but fascinating to watch. I told him I get frustrated if I have to wait more than 10sec for my paper printer to print, so my tolerance level is low. However, it's mesmerizing watching it do its thing! My son jokes that he's going to 3D print a 3D printer. :D

TheVBs
12-10-2019, 07:56 PM
Very cool! You'll have to share what they make with it. Our library has one, but I've never made it over there to try it out.

magicofdisney
12-11-2019, 08:06 AM
My husband has a very obscure hobby, playing miniature war-gaming. He's gotten our youngest son into the hobby. The primary reason he wanted the printer was to print the game pieces (tanks, armies, landscaping, etc.) for the gaming.

The possibilities of what can be printed are almost unlimited. Of course, we're restricted by the print bed dimensions, but I watched a video of someone printing a garbage pail using the model printer we bought. It was tiny but still functional. Looks like we'll only be limited by our imagination. :)

TheVBs
12-11-2019, 02:24 PM
That is so awesome! If I understand correctly, there are a lot of designs you can download online. There was a themed charity dinner I went to last year and the library crew came as characters from Mary Poppins. They had used the 3D printer to make the parrot head for the umbrella. It was awesome!

magicofdisney
12-11-2019, 08:40 PM
That is correct! My husband and son have downloaded many designs so far from a website that allows users to share their creations. I'm grateful for that community spirit. So far, the only thing my son has designed and printed is a cube. You gotta start somewhere. :D

TheVBs
12-13-2019, 11:12 AM
So true! I would be entirely dependent on others designs.

SodaPopMGK
12-14-2019, 12:38 PM
They are awesome, we have one at work.

BenjieP
02-06-2020, 10:42 PM
My younger brother been telling how cool those 3D printers are and been wanting one. He's been good at school and not into playing computer games so something like that could get him more creative more passionate of his works. He helped me install the truck racks (https://4wheelonline.com/truck_racks.3102) and tonneau on the truck and he seems good at wrenching. What brand of printer did your husband got? I'm curious of its printouts.

magicofdisney
02-07-2020, 10:40 AM
He bought an Ender 3 Pro with a magnetic bed plate.

Just yesterday I was getting frustrated with the mess in my kids' bathrooms. I decided EVERYTHING needed to come off the counters so I had my son print a toothbrush/toothpaste holder that I can attach to the mirror with Command Strips. Works like a charm and the bathroom counters are clutter free again.

(For whatever reason, it's too inconvenient for my kids to reach into the medicine cabinet for their toothbrush, so they would simply sit on the counter. :confused:)