PDA

View Full Version : Best Resort Counter Service?

lawgirl
08-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Hey! We'll be heading to WDW in August and want to explore some different dining options. I have several ADR's for Sanaa, Cape May Cafe, and Maya Grill. I'm wanting to add a couple of casual dining/ counter service meals for dinner. We love The Mara at AKL, and also enjoyed the Contempo Cafe. I always like to try new places and was curious about Captain Cook's and possibly Gasparilla Grill. Would love to hear your favorites and also if you have any favorite "hidden" dining spots. We love exploring other resorts and new to us dining spots.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-01-2019, 04:46 PM
For sit down you could try Boatwrights at POR or even their counter service, which is also very good. A benefit to eating here, if you are willig to make a night of it, you could time it so you could see the YeeHaw Bob show in the River Roost lounge and you can also take a break by taking the boat to and from Disney Springs for a nice relaxing break.

Simba's Mom
08-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Besides the above, I've also enjoyed the food court at POR. Regarding Captain Cook's-I went on a solo trip and thought it was excellent, so I took DH there. He didn't like it at all. So mixed reviews.

Cinderelley
08-01-2019, 10:56 PM
POR's food court has the build your own pasta station. I like watching them catch our food on fire when we eat there.

texas211
08-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Love the dining at POR, our favorite resort.

Only negative. Boatrights isn't open for breakfast, and the food court breakfast, like everywhere else at WDW, isn't great. But thats more on Disney as a whole than the resort.

ThanxForNoticin
08-02-2019, 08:32 AM
I know it's not much help, buy you've already hit our favorite counter service - Mara at AKL. I'll mention a new place we just experienced recently (we also like to try and find new spots) - we were very pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Wine Bar George at Disney Springs. Some fun small plates and different options. We'll definitely go back again. It's a place I haven't read about too much on Intercot.

Have a great trip!

lawgirl
08-03-2019, 01:20 PM
I know it's not much help, buy you've already hit our favorite counter service - Mara at AKL. I'll mention a new place we just experienced recently (we also like to try and find new spots) - we were very pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Wine Bar George at Disney Springs. Some fun small plates and different options. We'll definitely go back again. It's a place I haven't read about too much on Intercot.

Have a great trip!

That sounds fun- I will check that out. I've heard good reviews and it looks like a fun place. The Mara is so great, isn't it? My dad and I went to AKL right when it opened and have been HUGE fans ever since. Thanks!

lawgirl
08-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Besides the above, I've also enjoyed the food court at POR. Regarding Captain Cook's-I went on a solo trip and thought it was excellent, so I took DH there. He didn't like it at all. So mixed reviews.

It looked like a neat place to visit. we love Kona Cafe and just walking around the Poly in general. What do you like about it? What did he not like about it? The menu looked really good to me!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Like many have said, our favourites are POR and Captain Cooks.

Disney4us2
08-04-2019, 06:44 PM
I enjoy the kid options at POFQ and the Contemporary resorts. They refurbished the POFQ food court. No more creepy masks.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-05-2019, 09:43 AM
POR's food court has the build your own pasta station. I like watching them catch our food on fire when we eat there.

They seem to have removed the "make your own pasta". It is a shame, I really enjoyed that station, and just a heads-up, in case anyone was planning on it.

Cinderelley
08-05-2019, 12:08 PM
They seem to have removed the "make your own pasta". It is a shame, I really enjoyed that station, and just a heads-up, in case anyone was planning on it.

O.O I'm glad we went in November then. :(

DisneyFan1979
08-05-2019, 12:23 PM
I like Gaspirilla Grill at Grand Floridian a lot. It seems to be a bit quieter than other resort counter service offerings. Like Captain Cook's, they give you a number and bring the food to your table.

I don't recommend the counter service at the Beach or Yacht Club. The Beach Club is always hectic and has little seating. The Yacht Club is new and has a wider variety of pre-packaged offerings than other places (I think they are catering to the convention attendees). However, the last time I went there I ordered a sandwich and it was not made-to-order, but rather just heated up. I prefer made-to-order foods for reasons of freshness and because I have certain diet restrictions so I like being able to customize by leaving off things I can't eat.

I echo the other person who recommends Wine Bar George! I've been twice and love it. The amount of wine on their menu is unbelievable. You can even order small 2 oz tastings of many varieties. You can just have drinks, drinks and apps, or a full meal -- rarely is a reservation needed. I've had a few different apps and they were all delicious. The first time I happened to order a wine that was a favorite of George and he came out to pour it for me. He is one of less than 200 master sommeliers in the US.

mydisneygirls
08-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge.

Katzateer
08-10-2019, 07:00 AM
Poly counter service is my favorite. Besides the regular burgers and chicken nuggets you can get stir fry and the pulled pork sandwich is my favorite. I used to get the adult grilled cheese, but the last couple years they won’t special order it for you. The cooks were nice about the request but they didn’t really remember how to make it. Then I get a dole whip at outside counter stand.

lawgirl
08-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Poly counter service is my favorite. Besides the regular burgers and chicken nuggets you can get stir fry and the pulled pork sandwich is my favorite. I used to get the adult grilled cheese, but the last couple years they won’t special order it for you. The cooks were nice about the request but they didn’t really remember how to make it. Then I get a dole whip at outside counter stand.

I think we will definitely check it out. I love walking around the Poly anyways!