PDA

View Full Version : Training after surgery

Yungbuck73
06-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Hey all. Looking for advice. I just had surgery to remove my gall bladder and I’m scheduled to do my 1st 1/2 marathon for Disney’s Wine and Dine.
How long after surgery did everyone feel good enough to start adding miles to their training? Thanks in advance.

MNNHFLTX
06-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Justin, I didn't know you had gallbladder surgery! I don't have advice specific to 1/2 marathon except to say follow the advice of your doctor.

Isabella
06-08-2018, 09:01 PM
My recovery from that specific surgery went really well and quickly! Hopefully you'll be up and running in no time!

Yungbuck73
06-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Justin, I didn't know you had gallbladder surgery! I don't have advice specific to 1/2 marathon except to say follow the advice of your doctor.

I had surgery today. One of the side effect of weight loss surgery. I developed gall stones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disney4us2
06-08-2018, 10:24 PM
I had my gallbladder out about 18 years ago. Felt like I was hit by a Mack truck. Had umbilical hernia repair in 2016. Worse than the gallbladder surgery. My WLS wasn't as bad as either one of those. Don't over go it for the first few weeks. Follow your doctors advice. You and your body roll know when you can increase your activity levels. Good luck!!

cer
06-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Hi, Justin,

Definitely follow your doctor's advice.

My husband was side-lined for a large chunk of training when we were preparing for the inaugural Dopey. It was due to nutrition and injury. (He sweats a lot and had depleted his electrolytes). At the time, we did not know what was causing the problems and it took a long time to diagnose and then time to repair. It was a season of great uncertainty and there was also a large bit of freaking out. So much money on the line and a lot of unknowns. It was horrible!

Once we got a handle on the problem, he was able to start up again.

I don't know if you follow the Galloway training plans, but his plans train you to distances further than the goal distance in order to build your confidence. I had a trainer that once said, "If you can complete 18-20 miles, you can do 26.2." I don't know how that translates into a half marathon, but I feel like if I can do 10, I should be able to do 13.1. Look online and see what other people say about how far must you train in order to complete a half.

I guess this is a long way for me to say, if you get a late start, it's ok and try not to let it get in your head - better to start late successfully than overdo and have to sit out to recover.

I am so excited for you, I know you will do great!

Yungbuck73
06-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Thanks so much. I am kinda following Galloway training and officially the program doesn’t start until beginning of July. I have a 10 mike race end of September and I figure that would tell me about how my time will be

Cinderelley
07-18-2018, 05:56 AM
Just wondering how your training is going.

Yungbuck73
07-18-2018, 05:58 AM
It’s going good so far. I’m on week 3 of the Galloway plan that’s on the runDisney site. It’s pretty good. 30 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday then set miles on Saturday.

Cinderelley
07-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Glad to hear it is going well. :)