PDA

View Full Version : Changes - good or bad?

mom2morgan
05-26-2018, 02:57 PM
I haven't been to WDW in 6 years, and so of course a lot has changed, some for the better some for the worst (in my opinion). I think I'm a little change-resistent; I heard a couple of comments about things being stale and old and kept thinking "but if you loved it once, why would you want it to be different?". Anyhow - Wondering what "changes" others have loved and hated? Or maybe something that really NEEDS a change? Here are mine:

Change is good!
- Stitch is closed, I think permanently? Okay by me, I HATED that ride, LOL
- Flights of Passage - OMG, amazing ride! Na'vi River Journey - meh
- Happily Ever After - I did really enjoy Wishes, so I wouldn't say this is "better" - but it really is a spectacular show

Change is bad!
- retheming the "flights of wonder" bird show to "Up! A bird adventure" (or whatever it was called). What a gong show - don't get me wrong, I LIKE Dug and Russell, but their addition to THIS attraction is weird and pointless - that and the opening bit about being descended from the queen of Ananadapur.... All of this just detracts from the BIRDS and I feel like we saw a lot less of them. I LOVED the old show, which felt cozy and relaxed and really let you learn about the birds. Sorry for the rant - I felt really strongly about that one ;-)
- No more Great Movie Ride? or Sorcerers hat at the entrance? Disappointed!
- Norway Pavilion all Frozen themed - I actually DID enjoy the new ride, but WAY too much Frozen and not enough Norway. I don't do the Pavillions to see movie tie-ins (and just curious - if they are going to do that anyway, why no Mulan in China?)

we need a change!
- Country Bear Jamboree- What the heck is up with that show? The whole thing smells like old and the critters are looking a touch moth eaten, but we found it hysterically inappropriate for a kids show - blood on the ground? Come up and see me some time? I felt like I was in some weird Criminal Minds episode, LOL

Cinderelley
05-26-2018, 03:39 PM
Lol. My dad dragged us into the Country Bear Jamboree way too many times. Maybe that is why I'm so sick and twisted.

Zippy 1
05-26-2018, 04:20 PM
We love Country Bear Jamboree! I do not really enjoy all the projections in the MK firework show. Loved Wishes. But I guess all the fireworks are going to have projections soon. Days are numbered for Illuminations. Change it is going to happen. Do not have to like it though

Altair
05-26-2018, 04:35 PM
"Blood on the Saddle" is a real song by Tex Ritter and the next few verses are worse. :ack:

mom2morgan
05-26-2018, 05:35 PM
LOL- thanks for telling me! I looked up the lyrics - at least that gives some context for mister Psycho Bear...I was a little worried about what his deal was:funny:

texas211
05-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Lol. My dad dragged us into the Country Bear Jamboree way too many times. Maybe that is why I'm so sick and twisted.

Hey, no bad mouthing CBJ. They'll turn it into Star Wars meets Frontierland or something.

Cinderelley
05-29-2018, 01:02 AM
Hey, no bad mouthing CBJ. They'll turn it into Star Wars meets Frontierland or something.

Blood on the Saber

Cinderelley
05-29-2018, 01:14 AM
Change is good
1. New Toy Story Land
2. New Star Wars Land
3. Stitch is gone
4. Flights of Passage
5. Navi River Journey
6. The dragon that was in the parade but unfortunately caught on fire

Change that hurts
1. Adventurer's Club (bring it back! You could set it up near the Jungle Cruise!)
2. The characters at Liberty Tree Tavern - we LOVED Chip n Dale
3. Stitch doesn't do the wake up call any more
4. Wishes. It was my favorite.
5. Fastpass +
6. Rivers of Light - I hope to never have to sit through that again.

Cinderelley
05-29-2018, 01:15 AM
LOL- thanks for telling me! I looked up the lyrics - at least that gives some context for mister Psycho Bear...I was a little worried about what his deal was:funny:

He's really in league with the Small World dolls.

RunDMV
05-29-2018, 04:25 AM
Change is good
1. New Toy Story Land
2. New Star Wars Land
3. Stitch is gone
4. Flights of Passage
5. Navi River Journey

Change that hurts
1. Adventurer's Club (bring it back! You could set it up near the Jungle Cruise!)
5. Fastpass +

Bad change: fast pass+ should be the first 6 on your list.

PopPhan
05-29-2018, 07:28 AM
Change is good
1. New Toy Story Land
2. New Star Wars Land
3. Stitch is gone
4. Flights of Passage
5. Navi River Journey

Change that hurts
5. Fastpass +

I can agree with most of your list, but I really did like Rivers of Light as the closing show for AK. Colorful, good theme for the park and the mist screens are much better than those at Fantasmic!

I'm kind of nonplussed about FP+...I never really used the original FastPass too much, and only book FP+ options for what I REALLY don't want to miss. I've been pretty good about my timing on visits and rarely have a queue over 30 minutes...If the queue is over 30 minutes, I'll come back later.

I really miss Wishes as well...and SpectroMagic. Was not a big fan of MSEP when they brought it back, but loved Spectro!!!

Katzateer
05-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Not happy with some changes but my biggest disappointment is the lack of a nighttime parade at MK. I am shocked a parade wasn’t planned after all the construction of the walkways and areas around the castle hub were completed. I was hoping the Disneyland evening parade would be brought to Florida when the Electrical Light Parade was sent to California.

And I totally agree with the UP addition at AK. I am a former Girl Scout and leader (for over 30 years) and thought maybe the new show would be great but it was a disappointment. I love the idea of the badges the kids can earn walking around park and gathering information. But the new bird show is not a good addition.

Cinderelley
05-29-2018, 08:39 AM
I can agree with most of your list, but I really did like Rivers of Light as the closing show for AK. Colorful, good theme for the park and the mist screens are much better than those at Fantasmic!

I'm kind of nonplussed about FP+...I never really used the original FastPass too much, and only book FP+ options for what I REALLY don't want to miss. I've been pretty good about my timing on visits and rarely have a queue over 30 minutes...If the queue is over 30 minutes, I'll come back later.

I really miss Wishes as well...and SpectroMagic. Was not a big fan of MSEP when they brought it back, but loved Spectro!!!

I never saw SpectroMagic, but I am not a big parade fan. Most of the time, I just avoid where all the crowds are blocking the walkway and enjoy short lines for the rides.

ThanxForNoticin
05-29-2018, 08:41 AM

I agree with this statement completely. We view ROL as much more of a positive than negative. Is it the best show ever at Disney World? Not even close. But it's a really nice experience we're planning to enjoy from time to time. The music, lights, color, and presentation are really nice.

I'm also a Wishes fan, but I think I'd make my comment a little more general - I think I prefer the fireworks shows that you could see from anywhere around the park - or even outside the park. Now with the new shows, you need to be in front of the castle or Chinese Theater to see the projections that have become a focus of the new shows. If you're not close enough, you lose half the effect.

PopPhan
05-29-2018, 08:42 AM
I never saw SpectroMagic, but I am not a big parade fan. Most of the time, I just avoid where all the crowds are blocking the walkway and enjoy short lines for the rides.

Good answer. You can stay in a different area of the park and just about walk on to any attraction you like while the parade/fireworks shows are going on.

Cinderelley
05-29-2018, 09:08 AM
Good answer. You can stay in a different area of the park and just about walk on to any attraction you like while the parade/fireworks shows are going on.

Now I must say that I won't skip the Boo to You Parade. I always get there early to find a great spot for pictures. The grave diggers in the Haunted Mansion section are my favorite, but the whole thing is just so amazing! The music is catchy. There are characters that you never see any other time. Plus, there is CHOCOLATE!

Cinderelley
05-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Another thing I thought of

I miss the Pirate and Princess Parties.

As far as the RoL show, one of the great things about Disney is there is something for just about everyone. I don't mind opening up a seat for those of you who like it to get in easier. That gives me more time at something I do like that someone else may not enjoy.

One trip I spent an afternoon photographing ever animal on the Tree of Life. I think I will probably spend the time that the show is going on to take more pictures of the animals with the colors on the tree changing.

ThanxForNoticin
05-29-2018, 12:05 PM
As far as the RoL show, one of the great things about Disney is there is something for just about everyone. I don't mind opening up a seat for those of you who like it to get in easier. That gives me more time at something I do like that someone else may not enjoy.

EXACTLY!! I couldn't agree more. In fact, I would say that's a good way to look at life in general, not just Disney!

Speedy1998
05-29-2018, 12:23 PM
"Blood on the Saddle" is a real song by Tex Ritter and the next few verses are worse. :ack:

This is why context is important, when CBJ opened most of the adults in the audience would have been born prior to the 1950's and would most likely been familiar with the song.

Remember until the late 70's/ early 80's most people only had ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS for TV choices.

Now if you want to make the case that CBJ needs to be updated (or possibly needs to be closed) because it is out of date and the majority of guest no longer get the references or the jokes, then I am totally with you.

texas211
05-29-2018, 12:51 PM
CBJ should stay, with its current song.

As far as parades. I'm not big on them. I use the opportunity to catch some rides that might be less busy, else grab some food somewhere away from them.

Snow's Mom
06-28-2018, 09:24 AM
DH and Son-in-law dragged us to CBJ (against my wishes---not a fan!). One-year-old granddaughter loved it! One of the bears picked a flower for her out in front of the attraction before we went in. We'd been letting her walk around and telling her NOT to pick the flowers. She was awe-struck.

WDWPrincess
07-13-2018, 03:27 AM
I think Rivers of Light is one of Disney's biggest mistakes to date. If you ever see it - Look around and observe the children in the crowd - many are bored. There are no Disney characters nor classic Disney music (a MISSED OPPORTUNITY considering all of the Disney movies and songs featuring animals).
Does every show have to have characters and known Disney songs? Of course not - but it is Disney World - and they usually do a much better job of mixing in the classics and nostalgia with the creative.

This show feels like an Imagineering Intern's experiment with some water screens and a few boats that uses the same three or four effects over and over. And over again. (Checking my watch - oh look, water screens again. Big finale.... some fire. Can we at least hum along to something? Anything? Please?)

And regarding the Country Bears - I always expect them to put something Toy Story-related in that small theater. Maybe a version of Woody's Round-Up with marionettes or puppets? (Does anyone remember the excellent Lion King puppet show that was in the Fantasyland Theater before they replaced it with Mickey's Philharmagic?)

Cinderelley
07-13-2018, 06:30 AM
I think Rivers of Light is one of Disney's biggest mistakes to date. If you ever see it - Look around and observe the children in the crowd - many are bored. There are no Disney characters nor classic Disney music (a MISSED OPPORTUNITY considering all of the Disney movies and songs featuring animals).
Does every show have to have characters and known Disney songs? Of course not - but it is Disney World - and they usually do a much better job of mixing in the classics and nostalgia with the creative.

This show feels like an Imagineering Intern's experiment with some water screens and a few boats that uses the same three or four effects over and over. And over again. (Checking my watch - oh look, water screens again. Big finale.... some fire. Can we at least hum along to something? Anything? Please?)

I agree. If there is supposed to be a story line to it, I didn't get it at all.

Giggy
07-13-2018, 09:29 AM
First time I went to Country Bear Jamboree it scared me... I was 8 and though completely fearless when it came to thrill rides and rollercoasters I was really creeped out by things like stuffed animal heads, to the point that when I was 11 and we came for our second visit I tried to say we should skip it - without success! This is still a running joke for the family whenever we are in Frontier Land.

Now it is part of our trip which we will always do once. There is a fun nostalgia to it, the crowds are generally low but it takes up very little space at the park as it is just a small theatre. I hope it stays for many years. :mickey: