PDA

View Full Version : Why there shouldn’t be alcohol

Cinderelley
05-13-2018, 08:41 PM
We are standing here waiting for Illuminations to start. Two guys standing to my left are drinking. I am ready to throw them over the fence and into the lake. Too bad the small children have to be exposed to their choice of words and topics.

Cinderelley
05-13-2018, 08:56 PM
One of them just stepped on me!

texas211
05-13-2018, 09:38 PM
One of them just stepped on me!

That was you! Sorry about that... j/k

John
05-14-2018, 09:10 AM
I'll rather rename this topic - why there shouldn't be jerks in the world. Cause, alcohol or not, they ruin the fun for the rest of us. Good thing my mom wasn't there - cause she would have given them a piece of her mind....

texas211
05-14-2018, 09:45 AM
I'll rather rename this topic - why there shouldn't be jerks in the world. Cause, alcohol or not, they ruin the fun for the rest of us. Good thing my mom wasn't there - cause she would have given them a piece of her mind....

But then there wouldn't be anyone left in the world. Everyone is someone's jerk.

I'm sure Cinderelly took care of them. Those guys are gator food.

PopPhan
05-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Alcohol, per se, is not the problem. It is the idiots that do not know how to handle a few (or a few too many) adult beverages in a place with numerous children and others who do not condone language and antics only fit for private places.

I have my share of adult beverages in WDW, but never allow myself to be obnoxious or crude in that setting.

Unfortunately, those same people would probably be (almost) as crude, rude and obnoxious WITHOUT the alcohol.

Cinderelley
05-14-2018, 12:04 PM
that was you! Sorry about that... J/k

:p

Cinderelley
05-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Alcohol, per se, is not the problem. It is the idiots that do not know how to handle a few (or a few too many) adult beverages in a place with numerous children and others who do not condone language and antics only fit for private places.

I have my share of adult beverages in WDW, but never allow myself to be obnoxious or crude in that setting.

Unfortunately, those same people would probably be (almost) as crude, rude and obnoxious WITHOUT the alcohol.

Working in EMS tends to make me rude and crude, but I know there are times and places where it isn’t appropriate. I did say something to them. They told me to not interject.

Once he stepped on me and I was more angry than annoyed, they quickly became a lot nicer.

texas211
05-14-2018, 03:22 PM
All that being said, I wish they had a place to get messed up and such. I like getting blitzed every now and again if I'm on vacation. Especially in a self contained environment where I don't have to drive.

ThanxForNoticin
05-14-2018, 04:41 PM
Yea, I agree with the notion that "jerk is in the eye of the beholder". That being said, I also agree that alcohol at Disney has changed the landscape in the last decade or two. If you look back perhaps 15-20 years at Disney, alcohol was much less prevalent. Now it's become a HUGE money-maker for Disney.

It doesn't bother me at all having a place where adults can drink. It's a big part of vacation/relaxation time. But I will say that sometimes when we get the chance to enjoy EPCOT during the F&W, there are days it gives the appearance of a college spring break. Loud people, sometimes wearing matching drinking t-shirts, and a very large percentage of people with drinks in hand. And sometimes those people seem to forget it's still a family vacation park with little kids around.

And then you have Disney handing out park maps and stickers so you can try and get a drink from every drink stop in the park!! So THEY certainly are encouraging it!

texas211
05-14-2018, 07:26 PM
WE love FW.. Maybe some days, they close EPCOT at 4pm, to anyone under 21, and start Mickey's Happy Hour EPCOT Crawl!

PopPhan
05-15-2018, 11:45 AM
WE love FW.. Maybe some days, they close EPCOT at 4pm, to anyone under 21, and start Mickey's Happy Hour EPCOT Crawl!

That could be interesting...Mickey's So Very Merry Drinking Party. 21+, Hard-ticket event in World Showcase only. Entry at 4pm for a 7pm start...Just like the MVMCP & MNSSHP!!! Charge $250/ticket...'protein spills' extra!!! Hahahaaaaa

MNNHFLTX
05-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Some people are just rude and crude whether they're drinking or not; you'd think that with children around them they would hold their tongue! I've been known to speak up on occasion and bring that to their attention.

Donald
05-16-2018, 07:08 AM

Pleasure Island needs to be brought back.

1DisneyNut
05-16-2018, 08:32 AM

That could be interesting...Mickey's So Very Merry Drinking Party. 21+, Hard-ticket event in World Showcase only. Entry at 4pm for a 7pm start...Just like the MVMCP & MNSSHP!!! Charge $250/ticket...'protein spills' extra!!! Hahahaaaaa

That is actually a really good idea. I am surprised they haven't already tried it. We would probably make a trip down just to partake in an adult hard ticket event with the drinks flowing.

As mentioned, they do encourage it during the F&W festival. There is a lot of heavy drinking during that event so if you have small kids, everyone should be aware there is going to be a lot of adult behavior and language. If you are one of those that gets all worked up when there is drinking and adult language when your kids are present, it would probably be best to avoid the F&W festival.

Some people are just rude and crude whether they're drinking or not; you'd think that with children around them they would hold their tongue! I've been known to speak up on occasion and bring that to their attention.

This is true. I know people that curse like sailors at middle school events. I personally can turn it on and off unless I get really angry with someone. With that said, I don't really worry about those kinds of people too much. Seriously, kids hear just as bad of language in the gym during middle school from other kids in their class. They have a pretty full four letter word vocabulary by the age of 12 or 13 because it is everywhere......music, tv, youtube videos, random women shopping in Nordstrom for crying out loud. lol You hear it everywhere these days, it has sort of become mainstream to cuss over the past 15 or 20 years. I hear girls in their mid 20's having conversations in restaurants using the F bomb in every sentence. Some people just don't realize there is a time and a place.

Katzateer
05-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Haven’t been happy about evenings at Epcot for awhile. If people would drink responsibility then it wouldn’t bother me but a lot are not. Reminds me of the college town we lived in for 20years. When Stephanie and I were at Epcot recently she saw one guy getting ready to barf nearby and had to move from her resting spot because she didn’t want to be near him. It was around 6 pm. I was in the bathroom at the time and on my way out a lady was barfing into the bushes next to the tables set up outside of the American fast food dining spot. So gross. Now MK is going to have a lot more alcohol choices. At least most of the spots are sit down options where hopefully not as many drinks will be consumed. Not like drinking around the world at Epcot.

1DisneyNut
05-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Haven’t been happy about evenings at Epcot for awhile. If people would drink responsibility then it wouldn’t bother me but a lot are not. Reminds me of the college town we lived in for 20years. When Stephanie and I were at Epcot recently she saw one guy getting ready to barf nearby and had to move from her resting spot because she didn’t want to be near him. It was around 6 pm. I was in the bathroom at the time and on my way out a lady was barfing into the bushes next to the tables set up outside of the American fast food dining spot. So gross. Now MK is going to have a lot more alcohol choices. At least most of the spots are sit down options where hopefully not as many drinks will be consumed. Not like drinking around the world at Epcot.

I wouldn't worry about MK too much right now. At the sit down restaurants, they don't get in much of a hurry bringing the alcohol drinks out. You are lucky if you manage to get a third one out of them they space them out so much. I don't think you will see people getting plastered at MK. Now if they start counter service alcohol, that will be a different story.

texas211
05-16-2018, 09:50 AM
When Stephanie and I were at Epcot recently she saw one guy getting ready to barf nearby and had to move from her resting spot because she didn’t want to be near him. It was around 6 pm. I was in the bathroom at the time and on my way out a lady was barfing into the bushes next to the tables set up outside of the American fast food dining spot. .

To be clear, it was probably the food from the American food court that caused that.

I agree with nut. I swear like a truck driver who had been in the navy. I run across various kids, who teach me new ways to swear. Quite impressive really. I've heard tons of lil kids swearing while in line. The world is what it is now.

So, drink up me hearties, YO HO!

MNNHFLTX
05-16-2018, 08:38 PM
I agree with nut. I swear like a truck driver who had been in the navy. I run across various kids, who teach me new ways to swear. Quite impressive really. I've heard tons of lil kids swearing while in line. The world is what it is now.

So, drink up me hearties, YO HO!See, that might be the case but that doesn't mean that we (as adults) can't strive to be better examples. It's also the reason INTERCOT enforces a family-friendly format....if it's not appropriate for an 8-year-old (or thereabouts) to read, then it doesn't belong on the boards.

That's kind of the way I look at behavior/language when I'm at WDW or Disneyland. :)

PopPhan
05-17-2018, 08:17 AM

One of the things that I think most people don't think about, when drinking around the world, is how much harder alcohol can hit you in the FL heat and humidity. Sure it tastes good going down, but hits like Thor's hammer if you're not extremely careful!!!

texas211
05-17-2018, 08:56 AM
See, that might be the case but that doesn't mean that we (as adults) can't strive to be better examples. It's also the reason INTERCOT enforces a family-friendly format....if it's not appropriate for an 8-year-old (or thereabouts) to read, then it doesn't belong on the boards.

That's kind of the way I look at behavior/language when I'm at WDW or Disneyland. :)

See, I'm not anyone's example.

As far as what intercot enforces, that is their prerogative (but I want use the way they enforce as a basis to how my behavior should be at disney as I don't agree with them).

I do agree that some behavior and discussion points should be limited at wdw. But, I'm not going to get worried about it with how I see modern culture. They can handle it, and in my view, in many ways, way more .... well. I don't think its a problem.

Though I do agree people should be careful, and not get violent or step on cinderelly's feet.

MNNHFLTX
05-17-2018, 11:55 AM
See, I'm not anyone's example.

As far as what intercot enforces, that is their prerogative (but I want use the way they enforce as a basis to how my behavior should be at disney as I don't agree with them).

I do agree that some behavior and discussion points should be limited at wdw. But, I'm not going to get worried about it with how I see modern culture. They can handle it, and in my view, in many ways, way more .... well. I don't think its a problem.

Though I do agree people should be careful, and not get violent or step on cinderelly's feet.

All I meant is that the example of kids using foul language as justification for why it’s okay for the adults around them to use it seems kind of silly to me. They’re kids, we’re adults. Most of us wouldn’t publicly curse at work (I would get fired), at church, in front of law enforcement or the TSA, etc. We know better. So why is it okay in front of kids? I guess you’ve already answered that but I just don’t understand the logic, no offense intended.

So to each their own, but if I’m at Disney World with a kid and someone next to me starts using foul language, I’m likely to say something and then walk away in the opposite direction. That would be my way of handling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy1998
05-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Reading this, I have noticed that most of the complaints are about Epcot, and personally I can not think of a time that I really saw a problem in the other parks. I think part of the problem in Epcot, is the rise of people trying to "drink around the World". Eleven drinks is more than most people can handle, especially if they are drinking the hard liquor.

baldburke
05-18-2018, 05:26 PM
In Europe people seem to be much more accepting of a number of ideas, including alcohol. Sure, they have other problems but they are much more socially open in some ways. The problem is that too many Americans think that alcohol is a reason to become obnoxious. I guess it might be cool if you are under 25, but if you are older and have a need to get so polluted that you get overly loud and curse then it's time to evaluate your life my friend. It's a shame that a few have to ruin it for the many.

Cinderelley
05-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Well, I didn’t know this thread would get this long, but I will clarify. The two guys were loud like people who have been drinking tend to get. The language wasn’t necessarily the problem. It was the topics of discussion. Discussing how a child was eaten by an alligator while at Disney World and discussing what you are going to do to your wife when you get back to your hotel room does not need to be done in a voice that is loud enough to be heard halfway into the Canada pavilion.
I was sitting against the wall in front of the Canada pavilion where the speaker pops out of the rock. I had been sitting there since before they showed up, grabbed a table and shoved it against the wall saying “no one is going to get in front of us now.” When he stepped on me, he stepped on my thigh because he was stumbling around. I think part of the problem at Epcot is someone else can buy your drinks for you. Servers don’t necessarily have the opportunity to see how drunk you are and cut you off.

texas211
05-18-2018, 09:32 PM
The problem is that too many Americans think that alcohol is a reason to become obnoxious.

I think people tend to be more obnoxious at disney world than they otherwise would be. The heat, the expense which equals a sense of entitlement, blending drinking w/ kids,

Well, I didn’t know this thread would get this long, but I will clarify. The two guys were loud like people who have been drinking tend to get. The language wasn’t necessarily the problem. It was the topics of discussion. Discussing how a child was eaten by an alligator while at Disney World and discussing what you are going to do to your wife when you get back to your hotel room does not need to be done in a voice that is loud enough to be heard halfway into the Canada pavilion.
I was sitting against the wall in front of the Canada pavilion where the speaker pops out of the rock. I had been sitting there since before they showed up, grabbed a table and shoved it against the wall saying “no one is going to get in front of us now.” When he stepped on me, he stepped on my thigh because he was stumbling around. I think part of the problem at Epcot is someone else can buy your drinks for you. Servers don’t necessarily have the opportunity to see how drunk you are and cut you off.

Who wants to do any fooling around after being at the parks all day? A) you stink B) I want to crash on the bed w/ the AC cranked to 60 C) I may be drunk, so...

Well, its pretty easy to get overserved in any concession based situation. Ballparks, shows, etc.

So, Cindy, you toss them into the WS lagoon?

Cinderelley
05-18-2018, 11:06 PM
No. I thought about it, but they weren’t worth missing Illuminations for.

MNNHFLTX
05-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Wow, that kind of talk and behavior is just wrong, no matter how much someone’s had to drink. Anyone who thinks that’s acceptable in front of children has some serious soul-searching to do.

Cinderelley
05-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Wow, that kind of talk and behavior is just wrong, no matter how much someone’s had to drink. Anyone who thinks that’s acceptable in front of children has some serious soul-searching to do.

They weren't the smartest people on the planet. For example, one of them was talking about how it is Florida and there are going to be alligators. The other one (the one who stepped on me) spread his arms out wide and said "This! This is not Florida. This is Disney World." (he repeated it several times. I guess just in case anyone wondered if he was an idiot, he wanted to confirm it for them multiple times.) I didn't realize you teleported out of Florida once you went through the Disney World gates.

texas211
05-23-2018, 06:36 AM
They weren't the smartest people on the planet. For example, one of them was talking about how it is Florida and there are going to be alligators. The other one (the one who stepped on me) spread his arms out wide and said "This! This is not Florida. This is Disney World." (he repeated it several times. I guess just in case anyone wondered if he was an idiot, he wanted to confirm it for them multiple times.) I didn't realize you teleported out of Florida once you went through the Disney World gates.

Then I would have dared him to stick his arm in that water, and prove it isn't floridian gator infested waters..

Cinderelley
05-23-2018, 07:45 AM
Then I would have dared him to stick his arm in that water, and prove it isn't floridian gator infested waters..

Lol. And then "help" him get close enough to the water to stick his arm in?

texas211
05-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Lol. And then "help" him get close enough to the water to stick his arm in?

We should help each other at Disney. Its the neighborly thing to do.

TheVBs
06-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Catching up on all the discussions here and I have got to comment on this one. If you don't know when it is or isn't appropriate to swear, you are not an adult. If you don't know what subjects are or are not appropriate to discuss in public, you are not an adult. There is no excuse, not even being drunk. In fact, if you don't know what your alcohol limits are, you are either not an adult, or you have a problem that you need to seek help for. If I had encountered these two at Epcot, I would have snagged a cast member so that someone could have a word with them and keep an eye on them. We were in a restaurant once a few years back when a couple of adult males got loud and were freely swearing. Guess what? They got bounced. The kids are most certainly not the problem.

texas211
06-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Though I do think its a good case to have an adult only area of disney w/ bars and such.

On a side note though, I ran into 5 or 6 other couples in the resort smoking area. We ended up dragging over coolers or bottles and having an impromptu pleasure island. I think many people need an outlet to get a little drunk and stupid. Too bad they don't have some island for that..

Cinderelley
06-18-2018, 12:16 AM
Though I do think its a good case to have an adult only area of disney w/ bars and such.

On a side note though, I ran into 5 or 6 other couples in the resort smoking area. We ended up dragging over coolers or bottles and having an impromptu pleasure island. I think many people need an outlet to get a little drunk and stupid. Too bad they don't have some island for that..

I don't smoke and actually have a bad reaction to the cigarette smoke, but I am jealous of how quickly smokers seem to bond in their little areas.

PopPhan
06-18-2018, 07:56 AM
I don't smoke and actually have a bad reaction to the cigarette smoke, but I am jealous of how quickly smokers seem to bond in their little areas.

We, the "bad" (and proud) smokers, tend to gravitate to the "back room, alley, the trusty woods" and since there are so few anymore, we strike up conversations for no other reason than the fact that we see each other regularly during a trip. It's amazing the people you meet and enjoy...

Back to the original topic...Closing Pleasure Island, although understandable with what was going on at the time, could have been handled better and there still could have been an area created for 'adult only' evening entertainment in the Downtown Disney area. They 'dropped the ball' on this one.

VWL Mom
06-18-2018, 08:33 AM
You can add me to the list of late night cocktails in the smoking section and I have met some really fun people. Last year we spent a few evenings at VWL(BRV) with a former Intercotee and her DH who showed me photos from the Intercot 10 celebration, such a great couple.

PopPhan
06-18-2018, 08:41 AM
You can add me to the list of late night cocktails in the smoking section and I have met some really fun people. Last year we spent a few evenings at VWL(BRV) with a former Intercotee and her DH who showed me photos from the Intercot 10 celebration, such a great couple.

Did you ask them why they consider themselves "former" INTERCOTEES???? They need to come back and enjoy the lively banter!!!!

texas211
06-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Nothing like a good cigar, and a drink.

Yeah, all kidding aside, I wish there was a good adult oriented drinking place. That wouldn't solve the problems others have discussed, but might divert some of that traffic. Some people, you just can't fix stupid.

Cinderelley
06-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Nothing like a good cigar, and a drink.

Yeah, all kidding aside, I wish there was a good adult oriented drinking place. That wouldn't solve the problems others have discussed, but might divert some of that traffic. Some people, you just can't fix stupid.

The Adventurer's Club was perfect. *sigh*

VWL Mom
06-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Did you ask them why they consider themselves "former" INTERCOTEES???? They need to come back and enjoy the lively banter!!!!
I believe she's cloak and dagger status (aka stalking) but maybe this thread will bring her out from hiding. :spy:

Cinderelley
06-18-2018, 09:55 AM
I believe she's cloak and dagger status (aka stalking) but maybe this thread will her out from hiding. :spy:

Hurry back! Hurry back!! Be sure to bring your internet security certificate!

ThanxForNoticin
06-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Just for the record, I have met many fun and terrific people in our non-smoking, non-alcohol sections of the park, as well!

texas211
06-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Hurry back! Hurry back!! Be sure to bring your internet security certificate!

You going to cause more issues for IT?? :)

Just for the record, I have met many fun and terrific people in our non-smoking, non-alcohol sections of the park, as well!

We were just saying there should be a place for those that want to howl at the moon a bit and have a few. We know the t-totallers are good folks.

What I wouldn't give for a Total Wine by WDW.

Cinderelley
06-19-2018, 12:35 AM
There is always Jellyrolls.

Cinderelley
06-19-2018, 01:30 AM
We, the "bad" (and proud) smokers, tend to gravitate to the "back room, alley, the trusty woods" and since there are so few anymore, we strike up conversations for no other reason than the fact that we see each other regularly during a trip. It's amazing the people you meet and enjoy...

Back to the original topic...Closing Pleasure Island, although understandable with what was going on at the time, could have been handled better and there still could have been an area created for 'adult only' evening entertainment in the Downtown Disney area. They 'dropped the ball' on this one.

Ok Bob Seger. Now you are going to have to sing at MNSSHP.