PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Festival of Lights.

buzznwoodysmom
01-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Edit to say that I am talking about Rivers of Lights! Got the name wrong. Lol

We have still not seen Festival of Lights at AK. On our last trip no one was the least bit interested in staying for the show. We have watched it on our smart TV on YouTube and as a family we were completely underwhelmed. It was visually very pretty, but it felt so incredibly "slow". It just didn't "take us there" like most Disney shows do. Almost like it fell flat.

Are we missing something by not seeing it in person? We are planning an upcoming trip and again no one shows even the slightest bit on interest in seeing this. So what are all you guys opinions on it?

Altair
01-17-2018, 05:09 PM
We felt the same way. Had FP, but skipped it and went to see Fantasmic!

buzznwoodysmom
01-17-2018, 05:19 PM
We felt the same way. Had FP, but skipped it and went to see Fantasmic!

Funny you say this! We left AK, went spend some time at the pool, then did Fantasmic that night. We wanted to see both Fantasmic and Star Wars fireworks without feeling rushed so we did those on different nights.

WishingStar2006
01-17-2018, 05:39 PM
We went, using fast pass, during the holidays and were totally underwhelmed. Not worth the wait at all....it has so much potential but is just blah!

kathleen.talamantes.7
01-17-2018, 05:44 PM
We like the shows but go mainly for my dad who loves them. You have to sit and wait for a while to get a place to watch. If you don’t want to do that then I would choose something else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzznwoodysmom
01-17-2018, 08:33 PM
We went, using fast pass, during the holidays and were totally underwhelmed. Not worth the wait at all....it has so much potential but is just blah!

This is how I feel watching it on YouTube. But I thought perhaps there is more wow factor in person.

PopPhan
01-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Actually saw it on my last trip. I thought it was very well done and not as slow as the youtube video made it out to be. The water screens are excellent (and should be part of a rehab for Fantasmic! when, and if, the next rehab occurs) and are really easy to see and make out the scenes being played. The show fits wonderfully with the theme of Animal Kingdom.

Now, getting a FP+ option for this is probably not necessary, unless the park itself is packed. I walked in with about 10 minutes to spare and there were plenty of seats available.

Do yourself a favor..Go see it. If you don't like it, you don't have to see it again, but you may be surprised...

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-18-2018, 10:38 AM
I thought it was fine. It is beautiful to look at, and worth seeing at least once.

But, DD LOVES it! She quickly declared it her favourite show at Disney. So, you may end up in the "I love it" group too.

Roger's #1 Fan
01-18-2018, 11:33 AM
We saw this over the summer and got FP for the second show. I will say that in most cases FP is not needed, but it does give you a better, more direct viewing angle which is a plus. It is a very beautiful show, but IMHO suffers from the lack of a "story". In its original form I think there was more of a coherent storyline to the show, but I think this watered down, shortened version does not convey it very well.
It was a one and done for my family. Glad we saw it, but won't be inclined to see it again.

Dulcee
01-24-2018, 11:11 AM
We really enjoyed it and are looking forward to going again on our next trip!

mrte62
01-28-2018, 08:03 PM
We saw it the first week of May .... actually our last night and the seating was part of the dinner package (Tiffins for us). We really enjoyed it .... the colors, lights effects ... we were impressed ....

Speedy1998
01-29-2018, 12:26 PM
I saw it the Monday of Thanksgiving week. I was surprised that there was no wait for the standby line. Got right in with no problems. I liked the show, but ranked against the other Disney night time shows I would rank it last.

ThanxForNoticin
01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
I'm actually a fan of the show. It's not really meant to compete with the fireworks shows like Fantasmic and Illuminations. AK is a different kind of park and feel. We felt it's well worth a FP for an evening show one of the nights of our stay. We will plan our schedule to enjoy some time at night in Pandora, catch some of the projection shows on the TOL, and then sit to enjoy a peaceful show like ROL.

I'd recommend, at the very least, to see it live once. Then you can make your own decision.