PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with a day to myself?

Lpfetzer
01-14-2018, 10:13 PM
I will arrive at DW a day ahead of my grown daughters. After 30+ trips with them, having a day to myself is quite unusual. We will be staying at Yacht Club. Our total length of stay this time is 4 nights. What would you do if you had a day alone at the start of your trip?

Cinderelley
01-15-2018, 12:44 AM
It depends on what you like. I love alone time at Disney World. Some of my favorite things to do are -
1. Spa day
2. Wander through animal kingdom enjoying the atmosphere instead of running from ride to ride. Actually stopping to look at the animals, the carvings in the tree of life, the detail that is put into the surroundings.
3. Wandering through Disney Springs
4. Watching the shows at the Boardwalk
5. Exploring the grounds of my resort
6. Enjoying a meal that those with me may not necessarily want to do
7. When I was really into photography, I would take the opportunity to go get the shots that I knew I really wanted (I sat through two hours of on/off rain with my camcorder on a tripod and my camera in hand to have the angle for the MK fireworks that I really wanted. Yes, I had a poncho over my equipment while it rained.) Now I think I may have gone too far with that, but I did wind up with a video of Wishes and the perfect shots that I wanted. ;)
8. Waking up and saying "what do I want to do?" instead of having everything planned out.

Think about what kind of stuff you like and go from there.

Zippy 1
01-15-2018, 01:13 AM
My last trip I had a day to myself. I had never spent a day in the parks by myself. So I spent the day in MK doing what I wanted to do. I explored the whole park and had a blast. Did a lot of photopass photos. Especially magic shots. I had a great time. Even did lunch at BOG

PopPhan
01-15-2018, 07:22 AM
You didn't say whether or not you had a park ticket available for that day, but there are many things to do without going to a park.

Since you will be at the Yacht Club, you can enjoy a day visiting the Boardwalk resorts and taking in all there is to see in that area.

You could spend some time (and some $$$ LOL) in the Disney Springs area. So much has changed in that area over the past 5 years...It's a completely different 'land' now.

Take a bus to the TTC and do a monorail resort visit.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your trip and your 'solo' day!!!

VWL Mom
01-15-2018, 07:59 AM
:welcome: to Intercot

You don't mention when you'll be there. If it's during Flower & Garden I would spend the afternoon at World Showcase looking at the displays and maybe having a few samples from the booths. You might even sign up for one of the activities if time and budget allowed.

Disney4us2
01-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Hi, welcome to Intercot! If you have an extra days ticket, you can explore a park. If your trip is during Flower and Garden Festival time, I would explore Epcot. If no extra tickets, maybe Disney Springs or mini golf, resort hopping. Have a great time.

Lpfetzer
01-15-2018, 09:39 AM
I didn't mean to hit the "dislike". So sorry! I will try to correct that. Thanks so much for the ideas! I need to check dates for flower and garden. My day there will be the second week of april 2018 ��

Lpfetzer
01-15-2018, 09:49 AM
These are all great suggestions! I guess if I am honest, I always wondered what I would do if I were there alone, never thinking that day would come to be. Your replies have all been ideal. The theme seems to be....slow down, and enjoy the day without distractions! ��

#1donaldfan
01-15-2018, 12:54 PM
I'd stay by the side of the pool all day !!

PopPhan
01-15-2018, 01:04 PM
I didn't mean to hit the "dislike". So sorry! I will try to correct that. Thanks so much for the ideas! I need to check dates for flower and garden. My day there will be the second week of april 2018 ��

Definitely in the middle of the Flower and Garden Festival. It starts end of February and ends May 28th.

A great time to be there!

John
01-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Yep, slow down - soak it all in.

Since you are in the Epcot area - suggest you enjoy it.

One of the coolest things I do when I'm alone is to stay in epcot after the parks close for a while. By that, I mean, watch Illuminations (and be sure to grab yourself a nice beverage), then after it's over, browse the shops in world showcase. After they close, walk around and take some photos. There is nothing better than getting some cool night shots with NO PEOPLE IN THEM. Given how crowded the park is during the festival, I find this time of day incredibly relaxing and equally amazing. Soak in everything the imagineers have done.

On leaving the park, stroll around the opposite side of boardwalk from your hotel. Take the long way home. Maybe stop off at Jellyrolls and enjoy the dueling pianos.

Honestly, I can sit for hours and take it all in. Offer to take pictures for families trying to get their "shot" of everyone together. Try to remember why you started going to Disney and then see it in all the guests going by that are having their first vacation experiences.

In other words, enjoy the fact you don't have to be at this ride by this time or have this fastpass scheduled or this dining reservation made. Don't plan too much and let the day take you wherever it may lead - that's the way we all used to do the parks (and it was a better time).

John
01-16-2018, 06:45 AM
Oh - another thought - if you have the inclination, a behind the scenes tour is always cool, though the one that goes to all the parks is quite a time commitment and hurried. I'd pass on that.

texas211
01-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Order a double scotch, and enjoy the sights of the resort, and enjoy the moment. If the scotch can't vote, don't order it.

Cinderelley
01-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Order a double scotch, and enjoy the sights of the resort, and enjoy the moment. If the scotch can't vote, don't order it.

Lol.

Isabella
01-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Yep, slow down - soak it all in.

Since you are in the Epcot area - suggest you enjoy it.

One of the coolest things I do when I'm alone is to stay in epcot after the parks close for a while. By that, I mean, watch Illuminations (and be sure to grab yourself a nice beverage), then after it's over, browse the shops in world showcase. After they close, walk around and take some photos. There is nothing better than getting some cool night shots with NO PEOPLE IN THEM. Given how crowded the park is during the festival, I find this time of day incredibly relaxing and equally amazing. Soak in everything the imagineers have done.

On leaving the park, stroll around the opposite side of boardwalk from your hotel. Take the long way home. Maybe stop off at Jellyrolls and enjoy the dueling pianos.

Honestly, I can sit for hours and take it all in. Offer to take pictures for families trying to get their "shot" of everyone together. Try to remember why you started going to Disney and then see it in all the guests going by that are having their first vacation experiences.

In other words, enjoy the fact you don't have to be at this ride by this time or have this fastpass scheduled or this dining reservation made. Don't plan too much and let the day take you wherever it may lead - that's the way we all used to do the parks (and it was a better time).

:rocks:
This answer is EXACTLY what we would do! The peace of the empty park is wonderful! The music in the background and leisurely walking around is the best! Also I would spend time sitting beside the fountain outside the Electric Umbrella and watch the water dance! It is mesmerizing and with no agenda you can really enjoy the simple things that bring such joy!
Have an amazing time!

mom2morgan
01-20-2018, 05:55 PM
I know my answer, because I did this at Disneyland the one time we went - husband and girls went to Six Flags for the day! (Side note - SOOOO glad I didn't go. They said it was basically a concrete jungle - although they liked the rides, there was no theming, no green space etc. And it was so hot that the soles of my daughter's cheap shoes melted right off, LOL!). Anyway I spent the early part of the day riding everything in Fantasyland, because with thrill seeking teens and hubby I had NEVER gotten to do any of that. I had ice cream and people watched. Then I went back for a solo swim and a nap, and afterwards walked to the other park, had a nice dinner, and watched the light show. (also something my crowd never wants to do ;-) Honestly, it was such an amazingly relaxing and pleasant day, I'd like to do it again some time! But at DisneyWorld, of course ;-)

azcavalier
02-06-2018, 08:55 AM
For me, personally, I'd play a round or two of golf. But if that's not your thing...

Someone else mentioned a spa day. Absolutely. I had a pedicure done at the spa at the Swan, and my feet felt amazing for a few days after that. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

I would also go shopping. Wander Disney Springs.

I could probably do Epcot alone. The other parks, I just wouldn't have as much fun without someone to share it with. But the World Showcase would be cool to just wander around in, and like John said, hang out after it's all closed and emptied to get some amazing photos.

A tour would also be super cool. Those are all great ideas.

texas211
02-06-2018, 07:07 PM
For me, personally, I'd play a round or two of golf. But if that's not your thing...

Last time I played, gator got my Prov1. Came right out of the water.

luvdiznee
02-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Resort hopping. To include shopping and favorite eateries...

texas211
02-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Resort hopping. To include shopping and favorite eateries...

I like my shopping and gorging and Disney Springs. Love me some Tumi store.

AndrewJackson
02-08-2018, 07:41 AM
If I had a day to myself, I would definitely spend it in one of the parks and just enjoy the atmosphere. I would enjoy my lunch or dinner, and not rush to make it to the next FP. I may ride a few rides, I may not. I would pick your favorite park and enjoy it. For me, it would be a toss up between MK and EP. I would probably lean towards EP since you can enjoy World Showcase at a slow pace.

Simba's Mom
02-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Do you have a morning to yourself? If so, from the Yacht Club I'd go into Epcot through International Gateway, then go over to the French Bakery for breakfast. It's so peaceful there at that time. If you're not "into" the French Bakery for breakfast, go sit in front of Rose and Crown before 11:00 and watch the International CMs come in to work, the people rushing past to get to their favorite ride in FW, while you sit enjoying the music and watching Epcot WS awaken. My favorite time of day! By 2:00, I'm either back in my room, back sitting by the pool, or in Ale and Compass eating lunch, with a trip to Beaches and Cream for dessert.

TikiLounger
02-14-2018, 09:32 AM
I'd definitely take in the Flower and Garden Festival in Epcot. Never been there durning this time, but I love the Food and Wine Festival so I know how pleasant a leisurely stroll around World Showcase can be. Other than that, I'd just spend the time alone to really notice everything that I tend to miss when splitting my attention between what's going on around me and the people I'm with.

ransam
02-14-2018, 05:37 PM
A day to yourself? Anything you want!!!!
I have done that many times, I love it.